OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches. | Page 42 | The Boneyard

OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They currently are on probation with SACS. So is UNC btw. They were up for a review to change status but that is unlikely now. If they are dropped from accreditation that will make the NCAA death penalty seem like a slap on the wrist. Won't happen because Virginia is chair of the reviewing committee.

Link to SACS website/FAQ:

http://www.sacscoc.org/FAQsanswers.asp

Hey now, that sounds to me like the perfect way to kick them out of the ACC while the conference keeps its hands clean, officially.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Hey now, that sounds to me like the perfect way to kick them out of the ACC while the conference keeps its hands clean, officially.
Was just going to post the following quote from infinity linked article making the same claim:

That committee’s visit is Sept. 19-21, and the SACS board meets December to review U of L’s progress. Depending on results, SACS will either remove U of L from probation, extend the probation another year, or remove the university’s accreditation. Losing accreditation means academic degrees lose value, credits will not transfer from U of L, federal financial aid will not be available and the university cannot participate in the NCAA.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Come on, dream bigger!! Am I alone in thinking Arizona and Miller specifically are likely toast? I know there was talk that someone spoke about Miller desperate to land some guy that payouts were being discussed for, and that's just talk, but I'm hoping there are details, conversations, emails that implicate him. That situation stunk for years now

I want Kansas too
Xavier plox

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You know how I know PC fans don't get college sports...
I'm in agreement with Friar but for a different reason. They'll come down hard on UNC because of this situation. It's called CYA. The NCAA will want the world to falsely believe they are a bastion of integrity.

Reaction Score
I happen to agree with you. The NCAA has proven repeatedly that they play favorites with the P5's privileged programs. If the NCAA hopes to survive this rocky period, then instead of paying lip service to their compliance oversight duties, they'll need to prove they can still do their job. If not, I expect Congress, prompted by the FBI investigation and public outcry, to take up the issue of it's tax-exempt status.

Reaction Score
I'm in agreement with Friar but for a different reason. They'll come down hard on UNC because of this situation. It's called CYA. The NCAA will want the world to falsely believe they are a bastion of integrity.

Hey I hope both of you are right.

I also hope to one day see pigs fly

Reaction Score
I want to know where the money Nike and Adidas paid came from. I have trouble paying for a departmental lunch...Do they have a marketing slush fund and expense it as Miscellaneous Expenses.?

Easily - $150K is a rounding error - I remember when I was a pup and a client sent me and two photographers to Miami for a week, then to Moab, Utah for a week to shoot. I came back and said to the client what to we want to do with the photos - he says keep them I had to spend the budget and I figured why not send you to some cool places while I did it.

That was a long time ago and that was probably $40-$60K all in with special rigging, etc.

Edit to amend for the damn iphone

Last edited:
Reaction Score

>>Oklahoma State officially fired associate head coach Lamont Evans for cause Thursday. The university announced his termination at 3:45 p.m. Evans had been suspended with pay since Tuesday. He is one of 10, including four men's basketball assistant coaches, charged in a bribery and corruption investigation by the FBI.

Court documents allege Evans received at least $22,000 in bribes in exchange for influencing student-athletes during his time at South Carolina and Oklahoma State to retain business advisory and/or investment management services from the bribe payers.<<

Reaction Score
And now with Jurich gone, they won't be able to bribe their way to accreditation like they did to get in the ACC.
No doubt in my mind that they payolla'd their way into the ACC. Sure helps Adidas if Louisville's perception is raised by association with a P5 conference. Florida St, Georgia Tech, Clemson, wouldn't be surprised if they were all on the take.

Reaction Score
...and would you adjust for caliber? Is a future NBA stud going to be content to take the same money as a kid who gets a couple of minutes during mop up? Paying players changes nothing regarding this issue.
Im just saying what ive heard other people say. And no they would want more, which would make schools go broke even quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom