OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches. | Page 41 | The Boneyard

OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm going to bet that unlike what was a nationwide project funded by major corporations, most football payments are relatively small and "local" in the sense that they are funded by boosters, not international corporations.

This, I believe is the main difference between what is going on in football and what has happened here with the FBI. The FBI does not really care if Cam Newton gets a suitcase full of cash from some guy in Alabama, but it does care if major corporations are committing prosecutable crimes. Nike, Adidas, and Under Armour are less likely to be looking for a college to sign a particular football player because football players don't have the same ability to drive people to their brand. Nike built a whole offshoot around Jordan. Everyone wants to wear Jordan's. Some people wanted to wear Kobe's, hell, some people even wanted to wear Starbury's. Look at the Ball's. Daddy Ball knows there is more money to be made off of a shoe than playing basketball. Football is not even close in this regard. Any footballer ever have a shoe? No, for several reasons which we don't need to get into but there is a major difference between Adidas wiring $150K in payments to someone they think they can make $10M from in the long run vs. bubba handing Cam a bag of cash because he wants to see his favorite team win on Saturday. The NCAA may care about both, but look the other way. The FBI only cares about one of these.

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Yum! Center chairman says UofL basketball scandal presents ‘serious challenge’ to refinancing arena bonds

I guess you could call this unfortunate timing. :rolleyes:

Yum! Center chairman says UofL basketball scandal presents 'serious challenge' to refinancing arena bonds - Insider Louisville

Wow. UofL taking massive finacial hits.

With all the sleaziness in their BB program, the Yum, their accreditation, the football program... I still wonder if something untoward happened with them getting in the ACC.

Reaction Score
I want to know where the money Nike and Adidas paid came from. I have trouble paying for a departmental lunch...Do they have a marketing slush fund and expense it as Miscellaneous Expenses.?

your departmental lunch isn't offering potential returns of 10-20x or more.

Reaction Score
What I'll look like when Louisville and Miami get hammered (and UConn remains clear).

Come on, dream bigger!! Am I alone in thinking Arizona and Miller specifically are likely toast? I know there was talk that someone spoke about Miller desperate to land some guy that payouts were being discussed for, and that's just talk, but I'm hoping there are details, conversations, emails that implicate him. That situation stunk for years now

I want Kansas too

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
What is Louisville's current accreditation status?
They currently are on probation with SACS. So is UNC btw. They were up for a review to change status but that is unlikely now. If they are dropped from accreditation that will make the NCAA death penalty seem like a slap on the wrist. Won't happen because Virginia is chair of the reviewing committee.

Link to SACS website/FAQ:

http://www.sacscoc.org/FAQsanswers.asp

Reaction Score
The NBA is a part of the problem ,to suggest the’re a solution by essentially destroying college basketball doesn’t seem like a very great plan
There are 30,000 kids playing D1 college basketball. The idea that college B.B. is the handful of kids that don’t want to be there is and insult perpetrated on those other kids, by the Media to promote their other products . This kid and the money surrounding him is the root problem and the NBA dream that turns into a nightmare for most ,is a big part of that evil.
Immediately end the one and done rule . That’s a start
The baseball rules although not perfect are s much better solution. If the kid has to be a regular student for at least three years There is a chance that the he might actually leave with something of value for the time spent. If a kid has no interest in going to school that’s his prerogative but a kid skating around the academic system for a year just to fulfill a bogus rule is demeaning to the real student athletes who are using their physical gifts to better themselves and their families.
The reality is with a couple of exceptions these kids have brought little value to their teams other than media hype.
The Soccer/Hockey systems are rift with abuse with a 14 year old kids reduced to a commodity . The ones that don’t make it end up with nothing except broken bodies.
We had a good system called the intercollegiate system that enabled many from poor areas to get an education that otherwise would have been reserved for the privileged.
Why not figure a way to preserve that as it actually serves the greater good ,instead of rotating the system around a handful of alleged elites.

There's a problem here. People like Bilas are saying that college players have a market snd should be paid accordingly. But the market here is high school players wanted by shoe companies. So I think it is entirely appropriate to suggest that these kids are professionalizing a long time prior to college, and because of that, it really is an NBA issue mostly. The NBA should develop a pro league for 18 year olds. Whether that destroys CB or no is another story.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I agree with this except for the last part. As I posted on the football board basketball is likely way dirtier for several reasons. The impact of a single player is much bigger. You could put Tom Brady on UConn and we probably beat East Carolina. The Virginia game is closer but we still lose. Too

In hoops there is an "infrastructure" in the AAU system funded by the very same companies that fund the bribes. That doesn't exist in football.

The 1 and done system encourages this . In football you need to wait 3-5 years to earn your return and over that period there can be huge changes from injury to coaching to schematic. And the payoff is not as good. Unless you luck out and land the 1st draft pick, a highly unpredictable bet, it's likely you are paying for a guy who is going to earn less initially and over his career.

I'm going to bet that unlike what was a nationwide project funded by major corporations, most football payments are relatively small and "local" in the sense that they are funded by boosters, not international corporations.
Different players but I bet the bowl people and media types are making sure certain players are getting funneled to certain programs and I'd wager the overall monies far exceed what the shoe companies and agents are throwing at a few prime hs bb athletes.

Reaction Score
They currently are on probation with SACS. So is UNC btw. They were up for a review to change status but that is unlikely now. If they are dropped from accreditation that will make the NCAA death penalty seem like a slap on the wrist. Won't happen because Virginia is chair of the reviewing committee.

Link to SACS website/FAQ:

http://www.sacscoc.org/FAQsanswers.asp

UNC isn't on probation fwiw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members