OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches. | Page 43 | The Boneyard

OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nah, the NBA should just go the MLB route. Create a true minor league. Have the players eligible for the draft out of high school or after their 3rd year of college. This would not force players to go to college if they don't want to (or aren't eligible), and it would enable kids who do go to college to stay for at least 3 years. My guess is that you would have the truly elite players leave after high school, but you'd have the majority decide to go to college for 3 years.

They may find the 3 year College kids have a better future in or out of the NBA.

Reaction Score
No doubt in my mind that they payolla'd their way into the ACC. Sure helps Adidas if Louisville's perception is raised by association with a P5 conference. Florida St, Georgia Tech, Clemson, wouldn't be surprised if they were all on the take.

This certainly opens up that train of thought. That's where a thorough investigation of Louisville could lead down some interesting path's. Keep your eye on the obit's.

Last edited:

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
There was no way a school like UNC would lose its accreditation. Louisville, on the other hand...
Stripping accreditation from a school is much much harder than you imagine, and for schools with enough money, they can hire the "Jones Day" level of representation. And if accreditation is at risk, you hire Jones Day and every other law firm that takes your call.
Someone wrote that the death penalty from NCAA would be like a slap on the wrist in comparison. No, the NCAA Death penalty would be like a threesome with Katy Perry and Taylor Swift (or whichever women fill your most intimate fantasies). Loss of accreditation means you lose your student body, not just the athletes. Loss of accreditation means you are no longer eligible for federal grants and more importantly, students attending the institution are no longer eligible for loans guaranteed by the federal programs. There goes 80 - 90% of your attending population. And your faculty. And any partnerships you have outside of the campus. (Those overseas campuses are cash cows for universities.) When that happens, it's time to close shop and sell the assets because there is simply no recovery from it.

Reaction Score
Stripping accreditation from a school is much much harder than you imagine, and for schools with enough money, they can hire the "Jones Day" level of representation. And if accreditation is at risk, you hire Jones Day and every other law firm that takes your call.
Someone wrote that the death penalty from NCAA would be like a slap on the wrist in comparison. No, the NCAA Death penalty would be like a threesome with Katy Perry and Taylor Swift (or whichever women fill your most intimate fantasies). Loss of accreditation means you lose your student body, not just the athletes. Loss of accreditation means you are no longer eligible for federal grants and more importantly, students attending the institution are no longer eligible for loans guaranteed by the federal programs. There goes 80 - 90% of your attending population. And your faculty. And any partnerships you have outside of the campus. (Those overseas campuses are cash cows for universities.) When that happens, it's time to close shop and sell the assets because there is simply no recovery from it.

Well, thanks for that info!

In what instances has this happened before?

Reaction Score
Well not to mention most jobs like degrees from accredited universities lol

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Well, thanks for that info!

In what instances has this happened before?
It has only happened to very small schools or "diploma" mills. Usually it happens because the school cannot afford to hire sufficient faculty and is unable to offer the requisite number of core general education courses. City College of SF is the local victim here, they were constantly threatened with the loss of accreditation but recently were told that is not going to happen. If it happens the school either stays open, but does not accept federal aid, merges with an accredited institution, or closes.
WSJ Graphic of schools recently losing accreditation.

Reaction Score
I want to know where the money Nike and Adidas paid came from. I have trouble paying for a departmental lunch...Do they have a marketing slush fund and expense it as Miscellaneous Expenses.?

They bury it somewhere in their cost of goods sold somewhere or other operating expenses. Think of how big Adidas is. Revenues last year of 19 billion, COGS of 10 billion. Say they use 1 million for these bribes of 10,000,000,000 worth of expenses. Auditors aren't going to spend a heck of a lot of time looking into that. Especially if they break it up into smaller amounts of say 5,000 or 12,000. It might raise a red flag if they are all tagged to the same vendor or something like that and it doesn't fit the pattern of other vendor activity, but given what auditors materiality levels are, they aren't gonna give a s**** over the amount being reported in the story. Couple hundred thousand isn't even "pennies" given the totals on Adidas financial statements.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Community should be able to tag a post as content or opinion, and there should be a filter to turn on content only. @temery make it so!

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
One lawyer compared the difference between a federal investigation to a state one as the difference in resources between the ACC and American Athletic Conference.

Really puts it into perspective for both sides of the comparison.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Arizona & Miller are . Before this scandal, Miller might have been 1st choice for just about any major or even blue blood job. Also, not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but wasn't Book Richardson considered for an assistant coaching job at UConn at one time. We obviously dodged a bullet there.
I saw on a UK board that Sean Miller was their first choice to succeed Squid when he retires or moves on. After this news, the poster was basically throwing out an open question to everyone asking "who's our new first choice?"

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I want to know where the money Nike and Adidas paid came from. I have trouble paying for a departmental lunch...Do they have a marketing slush fund and expense it as Miscellaneous Expenses.?

What is your advertising budget?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Arizona & Miller are . Before this scandal, Miller might have been 1st choice for just about any major or even blue blood job. Also, not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but wasn't Book Richardson considered for an assistant coaching job at UConn at one time. We obviously dodged a bullet there.
I've never been impressed with his coaching. Just his recruiting but now we see why

Reaction Score
The plot thickens . Are we looking at a damaged , stitched together college basketball season?
I don't think so unless this gets much worse and many more programs are pulled into it. We already knew Arizona was on the hook. It looks like there will still be a season, and teams will still play. It could get weird during the season if info trickles out affecting a program here and a program there in the middle of the season with player suspensions or coach firings. Then things could be fragmented. I hope most of the regular programs are ok and that this fixes some recruiting problems and issues that prey on the kids and maybe levels the playing field some. Then of course there are a few programs that haven't come out yet that I hope turn out to be involved. I'll leave it to others to guess who they are :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom