OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches. | Page 53 | The Boneyard

OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Little said UNC coach Roy Williams has insinuated to him that the Tar Heels won’t receive a significant punishment from the NCAA. He said that Williams has not told him of the specific punishment, but told him generally: “It’s not necessarily an athletic thing,” he said Williams told him. “It wasn’t just the basketball team involved in it. They’re not going to be penalized as people suggest.”
Who knows if kid or some family member got money and are now double dipping.
And who knows if Roy is selling this kid a lie.

If above two conditions are true the two are made for each other.

My hope is NCAA comes down hard on UNC for academics, the above two conditions are indeed true, Little incriminates Az and UNC, and UNC gets super secret probation for two infractions.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Little said UNC coach Roy Williams has insinuated to him that the Tar Heels won’t receive a significant punishment from the NCAA. He said that Williams has not told him of the specific punishment, but told him generally: “It’s not necessarily an athletic thing,” he said Williams told him. “It wasn’t just the basketball team involved in it. They’re not going to be penalized as people suggest.”

Hard to believe the arrogance.

Reaction Score

Hard to believe the arrogance.
Which is even more of a reason why I hope that they get hammered. But unfortunately it just doesn't feel like they will. And then everyone at UNC involved in this will thumb their noses at the NCAA as they laugh all the way to the bank.

Reaction Score
Which is even more of a reason why I hope that they get hammered.

InsideHigherEd.com UNC "Scheduling Circumstances" article: no arrogance, none!

"David Routh, UNC's vice chancellor for university development, said he was not involved in any talks regarding the NCAA." “We all work really hard to tell the story clearly of what the priorities of the university are ..."

"NCAA sanctions against UNC have long been expected after an investigation by Kenneth Wainstein, a former U.S. Department of Justice official, in 2014 found systematic and far-reaching academic fraud at the university spanning nearly two decades. More than 3,100 students, many of them athletes, enrolled in and passed classes they never attended and that were not taught by a single faculty member, Wainstein stated in a report. In 2015, the NCAA issued level-one allegations against UNC, signaling the most serious breach of conduct possible.

A second notice of allegations was issued in April of last year, and a third was sent in December. The infractions committee heard the case in August. The NCAA has focused on the time period from 2002 to 2011.

The committee typically takes eight to 12 weeks to release its final report. Colleges and universities receive notification 24 hours before the report is issued."

Reaction Score
I remember Michigan's death penalty when the NCAA found out that they were giving out 4-credit hours for 10-minute monthly classes taught individually to athletes about how to make a daily calendar.

Reaction Score
I’m not defending UNC but this was not on the same plane as Bribing players in a systematic way. As to Roy’s comment he was essentially just repeating UNCs argument to the NCAA. My guess is this will mainly be a “paper penalty” where past victories are cancelled. Maybe a tourney ban this year and a couple of lost scholarships next. To me vacating wins is no penalty at all. They happened. The team won. Going back 10 years and saying it didn’t is silly.

Reaction Score
I’m not defending UNC but this was not on the same plane as Bribing players in a systematic way. As to Roy’s comment he was essentially just repeating UNCs argument to the NCAA. My guess is this will mainly be a “paper penalty” where past victories are cancelled. Maybe a tourney ban this year and a couple of lost scholarships next. To me vacating wins is no penalty at all. They happened. The team won. Going back 10 years and saying it didn’t is silly.

There's no defending him fleud, other cheaters should plead the 5th when asked about this just my opinion.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Heating up...

1B0A5EEF-A869-490C-A511-CCD868EA9F79.gif

Reaction Score

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
"The university is increasingly trying to show how it has impacts beyond the borders of its campus, he said".

“It’s cliché, but the silence is deafening,” said Daniel Swinton, managing partner at NCHERM Group, a law and consulting firm. “That strikes me as odd. I’m not sure if it’s improper, but it certainly makes me wonder: How much influence does UNC have in this process?”

While that might raise questions about the NCAA’s independence, Swinton does not believe the NCAA announcement will have a large impact on UNC’s fund-raising capabilities in the long run.

“Memories around these sorts of things are not super long,” he said.

How's that for "nothing to see here" arrogance.

Reaction Score

One could easily argue this is worse, for any number of reasons.

Given what this is, a marriage between academics and athletics, we can all be cynical and say, many of the athletes are not in it for education (oddly, I can make the same argument for some regular students!). We can also say that universities should look the other way when players get paid because this is a business.

But when you look at this whole thing from the fundamental value of fairness, the UNC story is awful. And worse than paying players. Athletes are systematically deprived of an education, if they want it. It is unfair to regular students as well. It is unfair to college basketball teams that are not doing this. It makes a mockery of the NCAA's PR campaign with APR.

And that last one is really the major sticking point here.

Is the NCAA prepared to jettison their much loved (but totally phony) PR campaign? Because if they don't come down hard on UNC, we should never ever listen to the NCAA pontificate about athletes and academics ever again.

I am not for paying players (mainly because I know from the inside how university finances work). But in the scheme of things, I do think there are worse violations than paying players.

UNC lost its soul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman