OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches. | Page 51 | The Boneyard

OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I can't get over how many people are shocked and disillusioned by this. Don't they have any knowledge of the history of college sports? When I was a sports mad kid (11-12 years old), I tried to read every sports history type book that my library had. MLB, NFL, college, etc. It was shocking to find out how thuggish baseball was before WWI, but nothing came close to how shocking the stuff going on in college football was (and basketball too, once it got going). Things far beyond this current scandal, Ivy League schools involved up to their necks. Paid players, slush finds, sex scandals, non students playing entire seasons. While they were eventually able to tone down the most outrageous stuff, they have never been able to really clean things up. There is no "good old days", when the sport was pure. It's been filthy since the beginning. When you accept that reality, you will be able to deal with the scandals, when they occasionally come to light. Cheating is a way of life, be it sports, business, or politics. As they say down in NASCAR country, "if you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'."

When the Ivy League schools were national powers in the late 1800's and first half of the 20th century, there were periods when they were famous for using non-student 'ringers' as players. Now we just don't bother making them attend real classes, which is sort of the same thing.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I can't get over how many people are shocked and disillusioned by this.

I doubt there are many people who are chocked, and most are disappointed it took the FBI to address a mess that the NCAA has turned a blind eye to for years.

The overall reaction is schadenfreude, not disillusion.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
There's a problem here. People like Bilas are saying that college players have a market snd should be paid accordingly. But the market here is high school players wanted by shoe companies. So I think it is entirely appropriate to suggest that these kids are professionalizing a long time prior to college, and because of that, it really is an NBA issue mostly. The NBA should develop a pro league for 18 year olds. Whether that destroys CB or no is another story.

Bilas is trying to solve a problem from 1993. This has moved far beyond a couple of used car dealers in Memphis paying a kid a couple thousand dollars because he plays for the local state U. I used to like him a lot, but he believes his own press to much.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Anyway, why would anyone pay for Taliek? We've all heard a "nationally recognized expert" state flat out that, "You can't win a National Championship with Taliek Brown as your point guard."

IDK, that shot he made vs. Pitt in the BET might have been worth $5k, maybe even $10k.

Reaction Score
The first step is ending 1-done. While it doesn't end the problem it greatly reduces it. As for paying players that is irrelevant to the current scandal. There is no chance on earth that you'll pay a player enough to get him to turn down 6 figures from a shoe company. Honestly how much does Bilas think colleges are going to pay these guys? Let the guys who have enough game go to the NBA and let the college coaches coach.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The first step is ending 1-done. While it doesn't end the problem it greatly reduces it. As for paying players that is irrelevant to the current scandal. There is no chance on earth that you'll pay a player enough to get him to turn down 6 figures from a shoe company. Honestly how much does Bilas think colleges are going to pay these guys? Let the guys who have enough game go to the NBA and let the college coaches coach.
It's about as stupid as you going after JC because UConn did not prioritize academics like other universities. Yeah right.

Reaction Score
I agree that 1-and-done is a bad rule. Don't agree that eliminating it "greatly" reduces the problem. Instead of bidding on the best kids in the world, colleges that have millions and millions to spend will just look for the best "college-bound" kids. Don't see how it would change the underlying function of the system.

Reaction Score
I agree that 1-and-done is a bad rule. Don't agree that eliminating it "greatly" reduces the problem. Instead of bidding on the best kids in the world, colleges that have millions and millions to spend will just look for the best "college-bound" kids. Don't see how it would change the underlying function of the system.

Because the money isn't coming from colleges. It is coming from shoe companies.

Reaction Score
Are there good follows or sites for keeping up with the rumors? I'm following a ton of media people I unfollowed like Forde now but feel like I'm missing stuff. I want to see all the cockroaches exposed when the light hits them! Miami Arizona USC et al

Reaction Score
Are there good follows or sites for keeping up with the rumors? I'm following a ton of media people I unfollowed like Forde now but feel like I'm missing stuff. I want to see all the cockroaches exposed when the light hits them! Miami Arizona USC et al

You'll get every update you'll ever need by coming here and looking at @huskymedic 's posts.

Reaction Score
Everyone knew about Penn State. How does one of the top coordinators in the country never get a sniff of a head coaching job unless other programs knew to stay away from Sandusky?
Penn State was all a mirage, they were able to portray a sweet family image when the reality is it was an incredibly disturbing place.

Reaction Score
Penn State was all a mirage, they were able to portray a sweet family image when the reality is it was an incredibly disturbing place.
it's a cult. has been for a long time.

Reaction Score
Sure, but everything in State College is now as sweet and pristine as The Waltons. ;)

Reaction Score

It should not Ben too hard to figure out who the other school is, right? I suppose Syracuse has an alibi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom