OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches. | Page 50 | The Boneyard

OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Absolutely love the hard on CL has for bill self.

It looks to me like Self stole CL's cookies from his lunchbox when they were kids. Either that, or CL is an Illinois fan who's still pissed that Self left for Kansas. I have a colleague that falls into the latter category.

Reaction Score
All Southern Cal players practiced today including players #8 & #9 in the complaint. Andy Enfield stated he expects all his players to be eligible. USC preseason Top 10. De'Anthony Melton (forgot if he is player #8 or #9) is a Draft Express 1st rounder and a rising Sophomore. I guess it is see ya on the hardwood??? lol

DKmSK_JVYAEC7E0.jpg

Reaction Score
All Southern Cal players practiced today including players #8 & #9 in the complaint. Andy Enfield stated he expects all his players to be eligible. USC preseason Top 10. De'Anthony Melton (forgot if he is player #8 or #9) is a Draft Express 1st rounder and a rising Sophomore. I guess it is see ya on the hardwood??? lol

DKmSK_JVYAEC7E0.jpg

I love Melton's game. He was the most underrated player in the country last year as a freshman, the ultimate role player glue guy, especially on defense. He had great assist, steal, block, free throw rates and shot 51% from 2pt from a 6'4" guy. If he improves his 3pt% to average, he'll help you win a lot of games.

If he's eligible.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Absolutely love the hard on CL has for bill self.
It looks to me like Self stole CL's cookies from his lunchbox when they were kids. Either that, or CL is an Illinois fan who's still pissed that Self left for Kansas. I have a colleague that falls into the latter category.
Nah, I just get tired of people forgetting the scum that circles a lot of these guys while coming down on Calhoun who when compared to Self, Beoheim, Williams and their ilk is a paragon of virtue.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Nah, I just get tired of people forgetting the scum that circles a lot of these guys while coming down on Calhoun who when compared to Self, Beoheim, Williams and their ilk is a paragon of virtue.

I know what you mean. For years I suspected there was a lot more going on behind the scenes at Penn State than whatever happened to get reported publicly. There were always stories about players getting into all kinds of trouble, but it was routinely minimized, sanitized and swept under the rug. Paterno maintained a saintly personna no matter what went on. They zealously maintained that pristine image, far too zealously as we all eventually found out. Self and Kansas give me that same feeling.

Reaction Score
I once met Self at a Louisville hotel. He was sitting at the adjacent table at breakfast. Looked pissed off the entire time.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I know what you mean. For years I suspected there was a lot more going on behind the scenes at Penn State than whatever happened to get reported publicly. There were always stories about players getting into all kinds of trouble, but it was routinely minimized, sanitized and swept under the rug. Paterno maintained a saintly personna no matter what went on. They zealously maintained that pristine image, far too zealously as we all eventually found out. Self and Kansas give me that same feeling.

Everyone knew about Penn State. How does one of the top coordinators in the country never get a sniff of a head coaching job unless other programs knew to stay away from Sandusky?

Reaction Score

DKmSK_JVYAEC7E0.jpg

I assume having ineligible players practice is not a violation. Let's see if they are allowed to play. Without these guys they won't be very good anyway. When you see this, what's the downside to cheating? They get a p5 check. So they were caught. In the long run it's still more profitable than a clean program,.

Reaction Score
This is HEARSAY:
I have a friend who is a fan/ booster of a major college team. He was at an event yesterday or Friday that included a US Attorney. The attorney presumably stated that one BIG school that will be outed is Ohio State. Also, 13 teams that were in the tournament last year are involved.

On the other hand, this (statement) may all be BS.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is HEARSAY:
I have a friend who is a fan/ booster of a major college team. He was at an event yesterday or Friday that included a US Attorney. The attorney presumably stated that one BIG school that will be outed is Ohio State. Also, 13 teams that were in the tournament last year are involved.

.... and not even particularly good BS at that.

#trollbetter

Reaction Score
This is HEARSAY:

So I guess we are safe then.... :rolleyes:;)

Reaction Score
Everyone knew about Penn State. How does one of the top coordinators in the country never get a sniff of a head coaching job unless other programs knew to stay away from Sandusky?

Sandusky had many offers.

The question is, why didn't he take them?

One thing that isn't talked about much in the wake of all this is the Second Mile charity. I think this is the real answer why he never moved on.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I still kick myself for promoting on the Boneyard that Sandusky should be the UCONN head coach when Edsall left....... Not my finest moment......

Reaction Score
To the above post. The AP poll is about 3 weeks away. Just ask yourself 2 questions.

1) will there be post season bans before the first poll? Unless a school self imposes the answer is no. Will any school self impose? NO not before first poll. Most likely never.

2) will any preseason top 25 teams lose players either self imposed or via NCAA?

Assuming the net doesn't expand much in the next few weeks Zona, Miami and SoCal are the likely top 25 teams with potential player action (Miami with no players on the current roster targeted in the complaint). Louisville is toast. Bama is very crooked as is Auburn but Bama is just a fringe top 25 team right now. Not a good foreign trip for Bama. Although great lawyering could do the above teams wonders both criminally and from a regulatory perspective. Jmho

Usually I am very pro player on these issues. However I have flipped and hope the teams/players above get decimated both criminally (coaches) and by the NCAA. I probably am the only one here wishing such ill will on these teams/players. So I reluctantly take the minority position. :(

Reaction Score
Could well be a truthful statement, in sense of "I'm shocked that we got caught."

Either way being incoptenent and ignorant should allow you to continue to be the head coach imo.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Are you kidding?

The guy's father coached Taliek Brown in the 1990's.

You don't know what a direct link is.

Anyway, why would anyone pay for Taliek? We've all heard a "nationally recognized expert" state flat out that, "You can't win a National Championship with Taliek Brown as your point guard."

Reaction Score
I can't get over how many people are shocked and disillusioned by this. Don't they have any knowledge of the history of college sports? When I was a sports mad kid (11-12 years old), I tried to read every sports history type book that my library had. MLB, NFL, college, etc. It was shocking to find out how thuggish baseball was before WWI, but nothing came close to how shocking the stuff going on in college football was (and basketball too, once it got going). Things far beyond this current scandal, Ivy League schools involved up to their necks. Paid players, slush finds, sex scandals, non students playing entire seasons. While they were eventually able to tone down the most outrageous stuff, they have never been able to really clean things up. There is no "good old days", when the sport was pure. It's been filthy since the beginning. When you accept that reality, you will be able to deal with the scandals, when they occasionally come to light. Cheating is a way of life, be it sports, business, or politics. As they say down in NASCAR country, "if you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer