OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches. | Page 45 | The Boneyard

OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The main point is that auditors are mostly looking at revenues, not expenses. Hide shady amounts of revenue, even at $150k at a company that size, and they will eventually find it. That was considered material at my company, and we're bigger than Adidas. But expenses? You're not defrauding your investors/Wall Street if you record $150k in expenses and $150k of cash goes out the door. So the numbers on this will match up, and be fine. No auditor cares whether you marketing expense was a good decision or a bad one. Presumably, somebody in the law department would be looking at any payments to governments, especially foreign governments, as that would be a big FCPA problem. But a payment to an AAU team for a sneaker company? That's going to look legit.

Yeah, but bribery is illegal, even hidden as an expense, so they'd have to sort that arm out of it too. Harder to spot though.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Was told by someone in the know that Clemson was willing to pay top recruit Zion Williamson up to $500K to commit. I believe it. This reinforces that the ACC is the dirtiest conference in America.

I wonder if this will make it more or less likely for Swafford and school presidents to severely sanction Louisville and Miami.

And I still have no read on whether Emmert and the NCAA have the guts to decimate Louisville and maybe Miami.

The SEC is laughing at you atm.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah, but bribery is illegal, even hidden as an expense, so they'd have to sort that arm out of it too. Harder to spot though.

Not really, not where the recipient isn't a government official and federal funds aren't involved (anti Kickback Act, mostly around Medicare). You are certainly allowed to pay people to perform services, like recruiting players. Nike can absolutely pay some AAU coach to get some kid to sign with a Nike school. That's not illegal if it is all reported. But if it's reported, the kid is ineligible and the school is penalized. So if the shoe companies properly record these payments as marketing expenses, then they are pretty much in the clear. But they could be nabbed for conspiracy to prevent the recipients from reporting the income.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not really, not where the recipient isn't a government official and federal funds aren't involved (anti Kickback Act, mostly around Medicare). You are certainly allowed to pay people to perform services, like recruiting players. Nike can absolutely pay some AAU coach to get some kid to sign with a Nike school. That's not illegal if it is all reported. But if it's reported, the kid is ineligible and the school is penalized. So if the shoe companies properly record these payments as marketing expenses, then they are pretty much in the clear. But they could be nabbed for conspiracy to prevent the recipients from reporting the income.
But even private schools receive Federal money, which opens the door to sanctions.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Life imitating art?

Trying to find the part where Darnell Jefferson gets money from the booster.

Reaction Score
You know who is coming out of this smelling like a rose? LaVar Ball, and probably UCLA by extension. We know the Ball kids didn't get any money. I wonder if this might even help Big Baller get off the ground?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
No idea about your hypothesis, but the bold is on point. At best, they didn't want the NCAA, true to form, mucking up their investigation. At worst, they suspected or even had something. Probably the former.

They couldn't care less about the former.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
No idea about your hypothesis, but the bold is on point. At best, they didn't want the NCAA, true to form, mucking up their investigation. At worst, they suspected or even had something. Probably the former.

Notice that outside of Emmert's initial statement, there has been no comment from the NCAA. Truth be told, I don't think the NCAA dare say anything at this point. Now Congress wants to know what is up with the NCAA and its enforcement policies. Frankly, I think Emmert and the NCAA are scared stiff. This is not going to well if they don't give Louisville the death penalty.

And the ACC may have no choice but to remove Louisville from the conference.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

I wish. That's a way more complicated issue than you think. There's TV contracts, conference contracts, voting and everything else involved. Ton of hoops to jump through. Don't see it at all.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I wish. That's a way more complicated issue than you think. There's TV contracts, conference contracts, voting and everything else involved. Ton of hoops to jump through. Don't see it at all.

There actually are very few hoops to jump through.

They won't remove them over this, but if for some reason they wanted, it is a very straightforward process.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Notice that outside of Emmert's initial statement, there has been no comment from the NCAA. Truth be told, I don't think the NCAA dare say anything at this point. Now Congress wants to know what is up with the NCAA and its enforcement policies. Frankly, I think Emmert and the NCAA are scared stiff. This is not going to well if they don't give Louisville the death penalty.

Nope. Emmert and the NCAA are exercising their Constitutional right to remain silent...And they are getting plenty of sleep. Their lawyers on the other hand:

Reaction Score
There actually are very few hoops to jump through.

They won't remove them over this, but if for some reason they wanted, it is a very straightforward process.

I think it will also require some misdeeds on the football side. With the Ville and petrino it's possible something's surfaces.

Reaction Score
Imagine a world with Pitino, Calipari, Self, K, Williams, Miller and a few others in prison. That would be glorious.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
1) I like Sean Miller, so this disappoints me. He's one of the few I like who are supposedly tangled up in this.

2) I want UK and Calipari in this more than anything right now.

I don't know if they will, and I hope they haven't been able to be cleanly recruiting based on past transgressions that haven't been proven -- that's my biggest fear re: UK and Calipari.

Reaction Score
I'm sure a lot more will come to light in the coming years... But I doubt Coach K would be tied up in this. He has too much to offer to recruits to be forced to give them money. And he's just not that guy. He would sell against that type of thing before he would ever stoop to that level, because he easily can.

Calapari I could definitely see getting wrapped up in it. He has gotten too many guys, too consistently to not be involved in something like this. He does have the selling point of being a one and done factory, hosting NBA recruits constantly, steering you through a year of "college" without breaking a sweat, etc... But he's dirty. Always has been.

I would be very surprised if Ollie is linked to anything. Not at all surprised if Chill is linked.

Reaction Score
I'm sure a lot more will come to light in the coming years... But I doubt Coach K would be tied up in this. He has too much to offer to recruits to be forced to give them money. And he's just not that guy. He would sell against that type of thing before he would ever stoop to that level, because he easily can.

Calapari I could definitely see getting wrapped up in it. He has gotten too many guys, too consistently to not be involved in something like this. He does have the selling point of being a one and done factory, hosting NBA recruits constantly, steering you through a year of "college" without breaking a sweat, etc... But he's dirty. Always has been.

I would be very surprised if Ollie is linked to anything. Not at all surprised if Chill is linked.

Myron Piggie and Lance Thomas's mom say hello.
Duke has a pristine history, but don't lift up the corner of the rug in the living room.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Another factor in our favor besides our lack of 5* recruits is lack of guys getting drafted high and doing well in the NBA. If you're a shoe company, you ain't paying coaches who aren't turning out NBA stars or players who aren't near lock stars. They're paying for the future payout and we haven't delivered that in the past 5 years.

Reaction Score

Not sure if I agree with you about Coach K. It wasn't all that long ago that Duke's best players graduated, or at least played more than one year. It was around when we beat them in 1999 that Duke started shifting towards a one-and-done based model. And actually, one of the first of Duke's one and dones was Corey Maggette, who admitted he took $2,000 from a summer league coach.

Now, Duke has firmly transitioned into an NBA factory and they're stocked each year with star freshman who only stay 1 year. Would it surprise me if they were offering recruits something more? No it would not.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Myron Piggie and Lance Thomas's mom say hello.
Duke has a pristine history, but don't lift up the corner of the rug in the living room.

And Duhon and Boozer's parents got cushy jobs.

That's boosters, though. Most head coaches would look the other way if they saw their player driving a nice car or saw the kid's parents moving into a nice house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom