OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches. | Page 46 | The Boneyard

OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Coach K has about as many NBA first-rounders from 2010 to today as he had from 1990 to 2010. His recruiting has changed wholesale since Capel came onto the scene.
That's what ever board is saying that I've been checking out. Especially the Kentucky board

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
And Duhon and Boozer's parents got cushy jobs.

That's boosters, though. Most head coaches would look the other way if they saw their player driving a nice car or saw the kid's parents moving into a nice house.
We did.
Pull the rug up far enough and no one is immune.

Reaction Score
Cal has a great marketing plan in selling to the one and done's. He probably does not need to pay. Coach K on the other hand has to get kids to attend a more rigorous academic institution. I often wonder how these kids meet the minimum grade requirements. It will be interesting to see how things turn out.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I wasn't entirely kidding when I said the NCAA should be looked at as co-conspirators. I have little doubt they turned a blind eye to infractions by some big programs.
My hope is Emmert brings up the APR NCAA ruling and either the Justice Department and/or Congress reads it and comes down with a ruling that says the NCAA punished universities who were legitimately following a code of scholastic ethics while turning a blind eye to those who didn't. The APR got a lot of buzz at the time it was introduced but it was obvious to some of us at the time it was a diversion tactic. I hoping some outside authority with muscle sees it that way as well and UConn and JC are vindicated.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Cal has a great marketing plan in selling to the one and done's. He probably does not need to pay. Coach K on the other hand has to get kids to attend a more rigorous academic institution. I often wonder how these kids meet the minimum grade requirements. It will be interesting to see how things turn out.

Simple...they major in Sociology. That's sort of their equivalent to UNC's fake classes. It's their easiest path for athletes to graduation, assuming they stick around that long.

Reaction Score

And how about the fact that Dick Vitale, in his entire 2-minute monologue two days ago on ESPN, when he blamed the shoe companies for so much of this mess, actually did make mention of one relatively "new" phenomenon at the top schools that really disgusts him (without naming names, of course): recruits who go from being high school juniors in May/June to on campus and eligible to play college basketball by September/October.

I found that shocking coming from the biggest Coach K/Cal sycophant out there, since the most recent incident of that happening was... none other than Marvin Bagley matriculating at Duke! May well be the first time I have ever heard Dickie V dare to take a shot across the bow of his best buddy Coach K and the school that "stands for everything pristine and great in the college basketball world" (according to him, anyway).

Does anyone doubt that Krzyzewski couldn't pick up his red hotline phone fast enough directly to Dickie V's house to scorch him for that one?

Anyone who thinks the Duke program is entirely clean at this point has his head in the sand. There are other, much less direct ways to cheat the system... and if any group of people knows how to do it the best, I guarantee you it is the Duke alumni. Outside of the Ivy League schools, Duke boasts the most influential group of alumni at one school in our country.

They know multiple ways to "game the system" without any of us ever knowing or finding out. They do not get caught not because they are clean... but because they know how to not be stupid, arrogant and/or careless about it.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
For what it is worth, I ventured over to two different Kansas boards. Opinions are mixed. Some are worried due to the Adidas connection, and kids like Wiggins. Nobody thought Jackson was at all suspect though. Others are reacting similarly to us, rejoicing in the downfall of people they don't like. KU lost a big recruit to Alabama recently for example. And Kansas fans hate Duke and Kentucky.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
temery - a valid point to be sure. The NCAA has little credibility. Notice Emmert's comment about this entire mess has been "The nature of the charges brought by the federal government are deeply disturbing. We have no tolerance whatsoever for this alleged behavior. Coaches hold a unique position of trust with student-athletes and their families and these bribery allegations, if true, suggest an extraordinary and despicable breach of that trust. We learned of these charges this morning and of course will support the ongoing criminal federal investigation.”

Not a peep since this comment 2 days ago. Now congressional comments “The federal government’s investigation into sports companies and basketball coaches at numerous colleges across the nation is extremely troubling and puts into serious question the NCAA’s ability to oversee its own institutions,” Rep. Greg Walden (R-Ore.) and Rep. Frank Pallone Jr. (D-N.J.) said in a joint statement Thursday. If congress starts demanding answers and digging into past NCAA rulings, they may very well find inconsistant and unfair decisions. Favoring the chosen few will show up.

The congressional statement could be considered damning to the NCAA. They are in the crosshairs too and I believe they know it. This is why, in the end, Emmert and company are going to have no choice but to give Louisville the death penalty. I would not be surprised if they also come down on UNC extremely hard.
When the extent of the UNC transgressions were reported and understood there were rumblings in Congress to investigate universities and athletics. That never went anywhere.

This is a whole new playing field for them to get involved in. Those sanctimonious so and so's will love to create investigative committees over this. It's not important from a national standpoint imo, but it is visceral enough for both geeks and jocks (for different reasons obviously) to support this activity. Some congressman who wants to make a name for itself will go full monty.

So I agree with you about UNC. Emmett and the NCAA will want to CTA and won't go lightly with UNC for a variety of reasons including what Fishy has told us. But if I were anybody in the NCAA I would be considering lawyering up. There is definitely smoke that shows connections with questionable agents. Example is the pump brothers as @upstater pointed out in several threads including this:

NCAA "looking into" Nerlens Noel

Reaction Score
When the extent of the UNC transgressions were reported and understood there were rumblings in Congress to investigate universities and athletics. That never went anywhere.

This is a whole new playing field for them to get involved in. Those sanctimonious so and so's will love to create investigative committees over this. It's not important from a national standpoint imo, but it is visceral enough for both geeks and jocks (for different reasons obviously) to support this activity. Some congressman who wants to make a name for itself will go full monty.

So I agree with you about UNC. Emmett and the NCAA will want to CTA and won't go lightly with UNC for a variety of reasons including what Fishy has told us. But if I were anybody in the NCAA I would be considering lawyering up. There is definitely smoke that shows connections with questionable agents. Example is the pump brothers as @upstater pointed out in several threads including this:

NCAA "looking into" Nerlens Noel

Even Coach K. and many others were comping F4 tix to the Pumps, AND they were subscribing to 2 page "newsletters" for $20k a year. Nice little side biz.Of course, the ex. NCAA director Cedric Dempsey resigned from the NCAA and became... a consultant for the Pumps coach recruiting service! You cannot make this stuff up.

It is pretty clear Emmert had a vendetta against UConn.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
IMG_3083.GIF

Reaction Score
Coach K has about as many NBA first-rounders from 2010 to today as he had from 1990 to 2010. His recruiting has changed wholesale since Capel came onto the scene.
This 1000%. It is fairly obvious when Duke made a "philosophical" change in how they approach recruiting.

I will say it again, I don't think there is a single 5 star recruit that doesn't get compensated. This idea that kids will pass up money to play at Duke is hilarious.

Reaction Score
I realize he probably isn't the most connected basketball journalist in the world but Mark Titus almost bit off his tongue when asked to talk about Coach K and his alleged cheating in an interview I heard this morning.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I realize he probably isn't the most connected basketball journalist in the world but Mark Titus almost bit off his tongue when asked to talk about Coach K and his alleged cheating in an interview I heard this morning.
Audio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds