OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches. | Page 40 | The Boneyard

OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think playing players is a long term disaster. It turns the sport into the d-league and who is going to care about that long term? Nobody. And a number of schools won't do it either because they can't or just won't for philosophical reasons. So who is going to watch March Madness when it involves 16 teams from P5 minor leagues and who is going to pay billions to do it?

What needs to happen is to end the 1-done program. Tell the NBA we aren't going to be your whores anymore. And tell the coaches that you recruit those guys at your peril. Guy leaves early you lose the scholarship until his class would have graduated.

The second thing is the shoe companies need to be out of the AAU program and that needs to happen tomorrow. Deprived of big money it may not disappear but will shrink back to what it was meant to be.

Third a few guys need to go to jail. Not assistants but the likes of Pitino.

Fourth, Louisville needs to get the death penalty. Followed by a long term ban and combined with a television ban. Why no tv? It also hurts the Conference who suddenly loses a chunk of its inventory. Sorry Johnny, you play with scum you get dirty. That would hurt more than the tourney ban I bet. Id be tempted to add Miami to that penalty too. Aren't they also on probation? Frankly you need to absolutely destroy a program such that they can't come back for a decade or more and I can't think of a better example. Then finally a couple of players who got paid need to spend some time making Little Rock's out of big rocks too. If Mr. Bowen were to find himself spending the next few years shooting jumpers in a prison yard somewhere instead of the Yum Center or MSG it could send a message to these punks that it isn't worth the risk.

Reaction Score
I think the NBA will step in here, as there is more money available to them. I was listening to Solo last night. He suggested expanding the NBA G league and implementing the same system they use in Europe. Sign the kids when they are 16 and develop them. No more one and done, no more academic scandals. I'd rather see this, than paying for kids to play in college. You have to assume football is more dirty, not sure what to do there.

Not going to happen. Nba uses college bball as its farm system at no cost. They aren't going to spend the multimillion dollars to create the infrastructure and pay coaches, trainers, etc. There about 400 NBA players (roughly) these college kids aren't going to want to live in the conditions minor leaguers live in making peanuts. Just ask any minor league baseball or hockey guy. These bball players are naive to how well off they have it compared to other sports

Reaction Score
I think the NBA will step in here, as there is more money available to them. I was listening to Solo last night. He suggested expanding the NBA G league and implementing the same system they use in Europe. Sign the kids when they are 16 and develop them. No more one and done, no more academic scandals. I'd rather see this, than paying for kids to play in college. You have to assume football is more dirty, not sure what to do there.
Agreed! It is also not unlike baseball. Kids can get drafted coming out of high school and either go into the minors or go to college and re-enter the draft later. Let the NBA have a real minor league system and let the kids make money if they can and want to do so. Let college athletics be COLLEGE athletics again. Yeah, the quality will suffer but, so what? I will still watch the games and still watch march madness and still root for my school.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Unless there is a money trail which would be of interest to the IRS. No one reported the payouts as income.

I get that. I meant public statements of support/blame and the like. Behind the scenes it's every man for himself.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
He suggested expanding the NBA G league and implementing the same system they use in Europe. Sign the kids when they are 16 and develop them. No more one and done, no more academic scandals. I'd rather see this, than paying for kids to play in college.

Nah, the NBA should just go the MLB route. Create a true minor league. Have the players eligible for the draft out of high school or after their 3rd year of college. This would not force players to go to college if they don't want to (or aren't eligible), and it would enable kids who do go to college to stay for at least 3 years. My guess is that you would have the truly elite players leave after high school, but you'd have the majority decide to go to college for 3 years.

Reaction Score
Not going to happen. Nba uses college bball as its farm system at no cost. They aren't going to spend the multimillion dollars to create the infrastructure and pay coaches, trainers, etc. There about 400 NBA players (roughly) these college kids aren't going to want to live in the conditions minor leaguers live in making peanuts. Just ask any minor league baseball or hockey guy. These bball players are naive to how well off they have it compared to other sports
It isn't that complicated or bleak. First off, there are arenas everywhere so very little infrastructure would need to be built. Second, it would be good for the NBA to put professional basketball in more cities. Third, the top players that get drafted will get huge signing bonuses and will be just fine. They will live quite well. If it sucked that bad, the best baseball players would be going to college, not the minors.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Kentucky board posted that Jordan said Self and Andy a miller are joined at the hip

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Anyone know which Shoe Company Bay Path is assoicated with?

Asking for a friend...

Reaction Score
Or you can let kids get endorsed by Nike, Adidas etc. without the school giving them a direct pay check.

Also, let them get paid for autographs, appearing at birthdays, bar mitzvahs etc

Reaction Score
I agree with this except for the last part. As I posted on the football board basketball is likely way dirtier for several reasons. The impact of a single player is much bigger. You could put Tom Brady on UConn and we probably beat East Carolina. The Virginia game is closer but we still lose. Too

In hoops there is an "infrastructure" in the AAU system funded by the very same companies that fund the bribes. That doesn't exist in football.

The 1 and done system encourages this . In football you need to wait 3-5 years to earn your return and over that period there can be huge changes from injury to coaching to schematic. And the payoff is not as good. Unless you luck out and land the 1st draft pick, a highly unpredictable bet, it's likely you are paying for a guy who is going to earn less initially and over his career.

I'm going to bet that unlike what was a nationwide project funded by major corporations, most football payments are relatively small and "local" in the sense that they are funded by boosters, not international corporations.

Reaction Score
I agree with this except for the last part. As I posted on the football board basketball is likely way dirtier for several reasons. The impact of a single player is much bigger. You could put Tom Brady on UConn and we probably beat East Carolina. The Virginia game is closer but we still lose. Too

In hoops there is an "infrastructure" in the AAU system funded by the very same companies that fund the bribes. That doesn't exist in football.

The 1 and done system encourages this . In football you need to wait 3-5 years to earn your return and over that period there can be huge changes from injury to coaching to schematic. And the payoff is not as good. Unless you luck out and land the 1st draft pick, a highly unpredictable bet, it's likely you are paying for a guy who is going to earn less initially and over his career.

I'm going to bet that unlike what was a nationwide project funded by major corporations, most football payments are relatively small and "local" in the sense that they are funded by boosters, not international corporations.

You put a top QB on 90% of teams and they win most of their games.

You don't need Brady on UConn. Put Darnold on UConn and UConn is undefeated.

Remember, Cam Newton was paid.

The reason this mentality has infested basketball is the one-and-dones--you get a much quicker return on investment.

Reaction Score
You put a top QB on 90% of teams and they win most of their games.

You don't need Brady on UConn. Put Darnold on UConn and UConn is undefeated.

Remember, Cam Newton was paid.

The reason this mentality has infested basketball is the one-and-dones--you get a much quicker return on investment.
Right. I agree it happens just that it is not nationally organized and I doubt it is as significant or as lucrative. And the roi point is exactly fight.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
An actual post I saw on the Louisville board this morning...

Agreed. Jurich did not run a crooked program. If that was the case you would have had problems with other sports teams like baseball or football and you did not have this.

All of our "sports enemies" want to see Jurich gone and UofL return to being mediocre.

Jurich needs to be retained. I do feel that powers behind the scenes that are Anti Louisville are pulling levers that are harmful to UofL.

They are past the point of no return.

Reaction Score
I think playing players is a long term disaster. It turns the sport into the d-league and who is going to care about that long term? Nobody. And a number of schools won't do it either because they can't or just won't for philosophical reasons. So who is going to watch March Madness when it involves 16 teams from P5 minor leagues and who is going to pay billions to do it?

What needs to happen is to end the 1-done program. Tell the NBA we aren't going to be your whores anymore. And tell the coaches that you recruit those guys at your peril. Guy leaves early you lose the scholarship until his class would have graduated.

The second thing is the shoe companies need to be out of the AAU program and that needs to happen tomorrow. Deprived of big money it may not disappear but will shrink back to what it was meant to be.

Third a few guys need to go to jail. Not assistants but the likes of Pitino.

Fourth, Louisville needs to get the death penalty. Followed by a long term ban and combined with a television ban. Why no tv? It also hurts the Conference who suddenly loses a chunk of its inventory. Sorry Johnny, you play with scum you get dirty. That would hurt more than the tourney ban I bet. Id be tempted to add Miami to that penalty too. Aren't they also on probation? Frankly you need to absolutely destroy a program such that they can't come back for a decade or more and I can't think of a better example. Then finally a couple of players who got paid need to spend some time making Little Rock's out of big rocks too. If Mr. Bowen were to find himself spending the next few years shooting jumpers in a prison yard somewhere instead of the Yum Center or MSG it could send a message to these punks that it isn't worth the risk.
This actually makes sense - but I’m sitting in an emergency room so my cognitive capabilities my be compromised.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
The silver lining in our recruitment of 3/4 star prospects of late:
I doubt we are wiring 100k through Nike to secure the commitment of Tyler Polley.

Reaction Score
The NBA is a part of the problem ,to suggest the’re a solution by essentially destroying college basketball doesn’t seem like a very great plan
There are 30,000 kids playing D1 college basketball. The idea that college B.B. is the handful of kids that don’t want to be there is and insult perpetrated on those other kids, by the Media to promote their other products . This kid and the money surrounding him is the root problem and the NBA dream that turns into a nightmare for most ,is a big part of that evil.
Immediately end the one and done rule . That’s a start
The baseball rules although not perfect are s much better solution. If the kid has to be a regular student for at least three years There is a chance that the he might actually leave with something of value for the time spent. If a kid has no interest in going to school that’s his prerogative but a kid skating around the academic system for a year just to fulfill a bogus rule is demeaning to the real student athletes who are using their physical gifts to better themselves and their families.
The reality is with a couple of exceptions these kids have brought little value to their teams other than media hype.
The Soccer/Hockey systems are rift with abuse with a 14 year old kids reduced to a commodity . The ones that don’t make it end up with nothing except broken bodies.
We had a good system called the intercollegiate system that enabled many from poor areas to get an education that otherwise would have been reserved for the privileged.
Why not figure a way to preserve that as it actually serves the greater good ,instead of rotating the system around a handful of alleged elites.

Reaction Score
what year did this investigation start?

The investigation began in 2015 but as something completely different. They stumbled into this stuff and it seems most of this happened in the last 8 weeks, at least the Louisville stuff.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I want to know where the money Nike and Adidas paid came from. I have trouble paying for a departmental lunch........Do they have a marketing slush fund and expense it as Miscellaneous Expenses......?

Reaction Score
I want to know where the money Nike and Adidas paid came from. I have trouble paying for a departmental lunch...Do they have a marketing slush fund and expense it as Miscellaneous Expenses.?

Yes. That's Gatto.

Reaction Score

The NBA is making money on the summer league. They can make money on a new g league also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom