OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches. | Page 38 | The Boneyard

OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sean Miller...

‘You can make millions off of one kid’: Details of the college basketball corruption case

"Dawkins called Richardson two days later and said the undercover agent — posing as the financial backer — was willing to provide the extra $15,000 if Richardson would treat it as a payment for the following three months. Richardson agreed, according to the documents.Dawkins spoke to the undercover agent that same day and said that, “(The head coach at Arizona) is talking out of his mouth, he wants (Player-5) bad as (expletive). So, I mean, the leverage I have with that program would be ridiculous at that point"

This is just actually very interesting to read.

If they can prove "talking out of the side of his mouth" means that Miller knew about it, he's done. It's enough for lack of institutional control from the NCAA at the absolute least.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How many schools do you think will eventually suffer some pain from this? They won't all be in trouble with the FBI, but when they start questioning these players, how long will it be before they talk? This is where lesser schools that aren't involved with Adidas, or Nike money are going to get burned.
The FBI asks the player if anyone else on their AAU team got money. The kid says yes, and names 2 other kids who got big bucks. The FBI asks, "is that all"? The kid then tells them that some of the lesser players got paid to sign with their mid major, and low major schools. It was smaller payments, maybe $5,000, or 10,000, and it came from boosters. This is absolutely going to happen, and these schools are going to be in trouble, maybe not with the FBI, but definitely with the NCAA, which will be out to get some scalps after letting this go on right under their noses.

Reaction Score
How many schools do you think will eventually suffer some pain from this? They won't all be in trouble with the FBI, but when they start questioning these players, how long will it be before they talk? This is where lesser schools that aren't involved with Adidas, or Nike money are going to get burned.
The FBI asks the player if anyone else on their AAU team got money. The kid says yes, and names 2 other kids who got big bucks. The FBI asks, "is that all"? The kid then tells them that some of the lesser players got paid to sign with their mid major, and low major schools. It was smaller payments, maybe $5,000, or 10,000, and it came from boosters. This is absolutely going to happen, and these schools are going to be in trouble, maybe not with the FBI, but definitely with the NCAA, which will be out to get some scalps after letting this go on right under their noses.
the other scenario is that it's so rampant the NCAA does nothing.

Reaction Score
So, umass is in trouble then, right?

Reaction Score
You mean the assistant who was coordinating the payments? He's a good guy? ...and was just doing his job? So an accomplice to a crime is a good guy and should just be let go? Glad Seth isn't running the FBI. ;)

I see the point
Low salary young guy probably with a family.
Loyal to a multimillionaire head coach who has power over his career
Certainly has less culpability than the head coach ,but he can always walk away.

Reaction Score
He's worried about Duquesne.

Duquesne and UMass would have to be the most inept cheaters ever. No way the shoe companies would pay their players, but every school has boosters that will pay, even at the AE, and NEC level.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Duquesne and UMass would have to be the most inept cheaters ever. No way the shoe companies would pay their players, but every school has boosters that will pay, even at the AE, and NEC level.
I'm pretty confident you understood it was a joke, but I threw you a like anyway.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty confident you understood it was a joke, but I threw you a like anyway.
Of course!! That said, there have been some inept cheaters through the years. USF comes to mind.

It's common for criminal investigations to uncover shady behavior that they weren't particularly looking for in their investigation. It's like a guy being busted for embezzlement, and it comes out that he was spending the money on his mistress. The mistress part won't put him in jail, but he'll still have to deal with it. That's what I expect to happen here. A lot of dirt will be uncovered in addition to what the FBI is looking for. These lesser schools might not see anyone going to jail, but they'll still pay a price. On the other hand, if football becomes involved, that's a whole different ballgame. Everyone's bit nervous, and understandably so.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You realize that while bleach destroys DNA evidence, it also oxidizes metals quickly and in aggressive manner. In other words - you be caught through circumstantial evidence. (Why was this wood chipper bleached?) Just run some other small mammals through it and the contamination from numerous mammalian sources will be enough to confound any forensics lab. (Well there were indications of non plant DNA, but for all we know, a rat's nest was in a log and said animals were macerated during operation.)
Uh, thanks for the pro tip?

Reaction Score
the other scenario is that it's so rampant the NCAA does nothing.
I am not a tax lawyer, but if the NCAA chooses to do nothing, would that affect their tax status? I would think its hard claim not for profit when amateurs are getting paid piles of cash under the table.

I would love for the FBI to publicly offer immunity for any player or handler who took money that comes clean. Get it all out. But also warn that if they continue to hide eventually when they find you, they will pursue only the stiffest penalty. My guess, is most guys including the ones we lost, would come clean. And this doesn't just apply to guys in college, but also the 30+ guys from Duke and Kentucky who are currently in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Funny but you guys didn't give Calhoun the same benefit. He got, by far, the fewest bluechip recruits of any coach with his level of credentials. I think he got fewer than one burger kid every three years. Yet, you guys called him a cheater.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
IMG_7875.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads