OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches. | Page 39 | The Boneyard

OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
IMG_7876.PNG

Reaction Score
Sean Miller...

‘You can make millions off of one kid’: Details of the college basketball corruption case

"Dawkins called Richardson two days later and said the undercover agent — posing as the financial backer — was willing to provide the extra $15,000 if Richardson would treat it as a payment for the following three months. Richardson agreed, according to the documents.Dawkins spoke to the undercover agent that same day and said that, “(The head coach at Arizona) is talking out of his mouth, he wants (Player-5) bad as (expletive). So, I mean, the leverage I have with that program would be ridiculous at that point"

I always suspected miller was up to something. They have been getting way too many top 10 recruits for a guy who doesn't seem to be able to coach offense, whose teams always flame out (relative to expectations), alumni haven't been doing much in the pros, and he always has this annoying scowl on his face and doesnt seem like the type of guy kids are dying to play for.

Something hasn't been adding up with them dominating recruiting like they have. And that something is a lot of money.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Another reason why AAU is the worst. Sloppy basketball and creepy dudes offering cash to sway recruits because of sneaker brands. Blow. It. Up

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The former Kentucky great weighs in

And so it begins...

"The real villain is the NCAA. They should have kept this from happening."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A lot of people are bringing up a point that this will keep happening until players get paid in college. I strongly disagree with this for countless reasons but some people dont seem to understand the main one. If you pay one college player, you have to pay them all, you cant just pay a few. Once this happens then you have to start paying other sports because paying just mbb isnt fair. Next thing you know you have to pay northwest texas polytechnic state university's womens water polo team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A lot of people are bringing up a point that this will keep happening until players get paid in college. I strongly disagree with this for countless reasons but some people dont seem to understand the main one. If you pay one college player, you have to pay them all, you cant just pay a few. Once this happens then you have to start paying other sports because paying just mbb isnt fair. Next thing you know you have to pay northwest texas polytechnic state university's womens water polo team.
...and would you adjust for caliber? Is a future NBA stud going to be content to take the same money as a kid who gets a couple of minutes during mop up? Paying players changes nothing regarding this issue.

Reaction Score
...and would you adjust for caliber? Is a future NBA stud going to be content to take the same money as a kid who gets a couple of minutes during mop up? Paying players changes nothing regarding this issue.
What I think is most likely to happen would be that kids could make money off their likeness. So they could sign autographs for money, their jersey sales would give them a cut, they could star in ads and commercials and such. So that way they don't have to pay non-revenue players. And what that will lead to is "Hi I'd like an autograph once you commit to Kentucky, I'd say a fair price would be $500k"

Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs: NCAA Mess Is Only Going To Get Worse

Say UConn comes up clean in all this, well, I'm going to say it: The ACC presidents must be ashamed of themselves for picking Louisville over UConn in 2013. UConn, now the 18th ranked public university and 56th overall by U.S. News & World Report, is a strong fit for what the ACC believes it stands for. All of its schools are ranked in the top 81. Except Louisville, it's 165th. And it cheats. Not little. Something awful.

Connecticut is in a budget crisis, its flagship university looking at a massive $300 million cut. UConn needs the millions from the Power Five cartel. What would it take to throw Louisville out of the ACC and let UConn in? The FBI doesn't have that answer, but somebody should be investigating it.

Jeff Jacobs: NCAA Mess Is Only Going To Get Worse

Reaction Score
So what do we know? Louisville, Zona and Miami are involved... Who else could be?

I just hope we are clean. Diaco probably paid some 2 star and will us.

Reaction Score
So what do we know? Louisville, Zona and Miami are involved... Who else could be?

I just hope we are clean. Diaco probably paid some 2 star and will us.

Ive seen Kansas mentioned. Anyone know if there is any validity to that?

Andrew Wiggins seems like a prime suspect. Top recruit, goes to Adidas flagship school and then signs a massive shoe deal with Adidas right after he leaves....hmmmm This was before 2015 when the investigation began, but naybe they can go back and find something on it. Either way I presume he wasn't the only one for Kansas given their level of recruiting recently.

Reaction Score
Ive seen Kansas mentioned. Anyone know if there is any validity to that?

Andrew Wiggins seems like a prime suspect. Top recruit, goes to Adidas flagship school and then signs a massive shoe deal with Adidas right after he leaves....hmmmm This was before 2015 when the investigation began, but naybe they can go back and find something on it. Either way I presume he wasn't the only one for Kansas given their level of recruiting recently.

And the handful of kids they've had come and then have eligibility issues to me says they're implicated in a situation like this. Where 'handlers' of a kid are getting money, the family is, just situations where there are a lot of people involved, rather than a kid visiting a school with his family and liking it and committing

Reaction Score
And the handful of kids they've had come and then have eligibility issues to me says they're implicated in a situation like this. Where 'handlers' of a kid are getting money, the family is, just situations where there are a lot of people involved, rather than a kid visiting a school with his family and liking it and committing

yeah i mean i would have to assume that any school that's been consistently landing 5 star kids has to be involved. If 5 star kids are getting paid which we now know they are, then how else are they getting them?

I could possibly see an argument that Coach K can land them on reputation and Team USA experience so he doesn't need to pay. And Cal with his one and done scheme, he doesn't need to pay since he can pretty much guarantee them a top draft pick.

But every other school, I don't see it. No way these kids are turning down 150k to go to Kansas because of their history/ Allen field house or Arizona because the girls are smoking hot.

Reaction Score
You are assuming that the schools who decide to play payers will remain in the NCAA. I think one can easily see this week as the beginning of the end for the NCAA as we know it.

Reaction Score

Also why would paying them stop any of this? Say the school/conference/ncaa pays the kid 25k, 50k. I have no idea what it would be. Nike and Adidas are still going to want them to represent their brand/ schools and then to eventually sign with them.

Paying the kids wont stop any of this from happening. Even if the kids are getting paid 25k or 50k from the school. They are gonna turn down 150k-250k?

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I always suspected miller was up to something. ..............he always has this annoying scowl on his face and doesnt seem like the type of guy kids are dying to play for

You can be biased all you want, but I'm not sure ANYONE on this board can hold that against a coach. I mean, Jimmy was Exhibit A, B, and C.

Reaction Score
You are assuming that the schools who decide to play payers will remain in the NCAA. I think one can easily see this week as the beginning of the end for the NCAA as we know it.

I think the NBA will step in here, as there is more money available to them. I was listening to Solo last night. He suggested expanding the NBA G league and implementing the same system they use in Europe. Sign the kids when they are 16 and develop them. No more one and done, no more academic scandals. I'd rather see this, than paying for kids to play in college. You have to assume football is more dirty, not sure what to do there.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
And so it begins...

"The real villain is the NCAA. They should kept this from happening."

You can't expect ex players to turn on players or their coaches. Bias is too strong. Just like Vitale going blaming the shoe companies.

Reaction Score
You can't expect ex players to turn on players or their coaches. Bias is too strong.

Unless there is a money trail which would be of interest to the IRS. No one reported the payouts as income.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

As far as between sports, you can make the language be based on revenue. That is 'fair'. Most sports would get nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom