OT....AROD to be banned from baseball. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT....AROD to be banned from baseball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ARod and his salary must be banned from baseball for the good of the children.

What would it say to the children if ARod's salary was allowed to impact whatever moves the Yankees might make? The children need to go to bed at night knowing that ARod is gone and that the Yankees have a renewed ability to sign away talented players from lesser teams.

We need to keep the children in mind.

Children need to know that actions have consequences. Hire a roided up jerk and end up being stuck with his salary. We can't let the Yanks walk on this. They must be held accountable...for the children.

Reaction Score
Note though, PEDs won't make you throw any more accurate or nor give you much more stuff, which is where Pedro truly excelled. Never seen another player locat breaking pitches and fastballs like that, outside of Greg Maddux (juicer??). PEDs (and roids) help with recovery but not strength; andro helped with strength (iirc). His body profile probably nixes him from the strength argument (see bonds/sosa/mcgwire's head and arms).

Now he certainly could have been helped by PEDs RE recovery, and I believe no player is a saint nor get the benefit of the doubt. RE stuff, check out his fingers/hands. Craziest size fingers I've ever seen.

If you look at his whipsaw delivery, you'll see why he had gas. Same sort of style as Buchholz/Strasburg. Also why those guys breakdown a lot. Too much strain/torque for those rubbery arms. Wasn't able to play late into his career, unlike other juicers (Clemens,Pettite,Colon...)

And again, compare him to other pitchers of his era, including the juicers. Not remotely close. There's never been anyone quite like that (Koufax maybe).
PED's and roids help with recovery but not strength, what???

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
PED's and roids help with recovery but not strength, what???

agghhh, I typed that backwards. It should have been andro (scientists think) and HGH (and blood doping). Anabolic steriods increase muscle mass. It's a property of those particular substances. It's what they do. They allow you to recover more quickly from workouts or competitive situations. They only allow you to make gains associated with training harder/more, not in building muscle in and of themselves.

Anabolic Steroids directly contributes to strength gains.

PEDs is an umbrella term.

Reaction Score
Recovery is just as important to a pitcher as strength is ....

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Recovery is just as important to a pitcher as strength is ....

Agree. To every athlete really. Especially baseball players, what with the 160 game grind.

Reaction Score
Are you really going to make the Yankees out to be the beneficiaries here? I mean, obviously getting A-Rod's salary off the books would be enormous, but if you're going to begrudge them for benefitting from his tainted performances, then you also have to consider the fact that those tainted performances led to this albatross of a contract.
If you saw him perform in the post season you know he wasn't worth $200 let alone $200 million.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
This is what's called draconian punishment.

Everyone here sure cared a lot about due process when UConn's postseason eligibility was taken from us. Different stories, obviously, but due process is due process.

Reaction Score
This is fair. You can void the contract after the fact because you didn't know he was on steroids...as long as you also void the World Series he singlehandedly gave your team.
How about the ones he blew with his anemic post season bat? They never got their money's worth out of him.

Reaction Score
I'm actually in your camp. The 'integrity of the game' is utter bollocks. MLB players have been cheating since the dawn of time. Heck, I've heard 'horse steroid injection' stories from way back in the day. Corking, cutting, spitting, stealing signs, whatever...

Besides, PEDs saved the game in 98. Most exciting season in recent memory.

Side note, how good was Pedro Martinez. In the height of the steroid era, guy has arguably the two or 3 greatest pitching seasons in history. Posted 97-00, he posted 1.90, 2.89, 2.07, 1.74 era. 17-8, 19-7, 23-4, 18-6. Yikes.
Must have been on roids too like most of the other Dominicans.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
How about the ones he blew with his anemic post season bat? They never got their money's worth out of him.

So if he put up huge numbers for the last five years, was worth the money, and wasn't facing a lifetime ban, the Yankees would be OK with the contract? That's kind of my point; thanks for making it.

U

UCONNfan1

In general I'm glad if there was such a preponderance of evidence against him. I don't think he's any more arrogant than most big league superstars, but honestly I have no personal knowledge of his persona vs. others like Pujols, etc.

I do find it kind of odd that it's a lifetime ban - aside from Rose has there ever been another player banned for life? Probably but usually players are suspended for 50, or 100 games, or for the rest of their careers. To ban him from baseball implies no HOF, can't ever coach on any level, etc. I don't pretend to know the technicalities, but that does seem a bit severe...

Reaction Score
If you saw him perform in the post season you know he wasn't worth $200 let alone $200 million.

He was awful last year you're right.....how was Papi last post season? Just curious?;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He was awful last year you're right.....how was Papi last post season? Just curious?;)
Who has been on more world series champs? Just curious.;)

Reaction Score
In general I'm glad if there was such a preponderance of evidence against him. I don't think he's any more arrogant than most big league superstars, but honestly I have no personal knowledge of his persona vs. others like Pujols, etc.

I do find it kind of odd that it's a lifetime ban - aside from Rose has there ever been another player banned for life? Probably but usually players are suspended for 50, or 100 games, or for the rest of their careers. To ban him from baseball implies no HOF, can't ever coach on any level, etc. I don't pretend to know the technicalities, but that does seem a bit severe...
Lifetime ban or not, no way is A-Rod making the HOF.

Reaction Score
Lifetime ban or not, no way is A-Rod making the HOF.
That remains to be seen. Safe to say he can forget about a first ballot unless he is suspended for 2 years, comes back, and burns up the league for a few years. I was thinking, maybe the Hall of Fame should establish an annex in the basement for roid users, gamblers, etc. The could call it the "Unforgiven Hall of Shame"

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Must have been on roids too like most of the other Americans Dominicans

Probably more accurate.

I'm willing to bet an enormous amount of money that Pedro wasn't on Roids. No idea about other PEDs of course. Roids induce muscle mass, even if you are not working out. Pedro was a bean pole.

And as mentioned, no amount of drugs can induce an increased level of control. Pedro's control during those years was the best there has ever been, hands down. Privilege to watch. I remember during 98/99 when anyone who cared about baseball would not miss a Pedro start, fan of another team or no. It was electric.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Why would you be? I wouldn't be either....heck I wouldn't be surprised if Pedroia was!! I would be more surprised if less than 50% wasn't on it!

Sox fan and yeah, only thing I'd argue against is the little beanpole guys being on Roids (pedro). Could be any number of other PEDs, but not Roids.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
That remains to be seen. Safe to say he can forget about a first ballot unless he is suspended for 2 years, comes back, and burns up the league for a few years. I was thinking, maybe the Hall of Fame should establish an annex in the basement for roid users, gamblers, etc. The could call it the "Unforgiven Hall of Shame"

90% of the hall cheated (completely made up, but you get the idea). George Brett corked it only once? Common. everyone tried to get an edge over the years, and the rules/regs were MUCH more lax back in the day. No media to catch you out either.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

To sling a little redsox/yanks mud, the Yanks had the most juiced team in baseball when they were on their run. Probably steinbrenner sanctioned (not an insult - just a guy surveying the landscape and deciding to win). I know every team did it, but the number of guys on that team who've been 'caught' is impressive.

Reaction Score
Who has been on more world series champs? Just curious.;)

Jeter! Rivera!....want me to continue!

I don't like Arod, so please leave him out of it.....if wants to rub the 04 07 season we can talk about other players with rings too now can't we?

Reaction Score
To sling a little redsox/yanks mud, the Yanks had the most juiced team in baseball when they were on their run. Probably steinbrenner sanctioned (not an insult - just a guy surveying the landscape and deciding to win). I know every team did it, but the number of guys on that team who've been 'caught' is impressive.

More than Millar, Damon, Varitek, Papi, Youk??? You can't honestly believe there weren't as many on those Sox teams can you? That's funny.........

Reaction Score
I'm sure that has nothing to do with the Mitchell report being done by someone on the Red Sox board of directors...or that the dealer was from the New York area...all coincidence I'm sure. It's amazing that Big Sloppy is almost never linked to PEDs either and that the story about Rem Dog's kid getting busted near Fenway with a boatload of steroids was never blasted all over the headlines...

Reaction Score
Probably more accurate.

I'm willing to bet an enormous amount of money that Pedro wasn't on Roids. No idea about other PEDs of course. Roids induce muscle mass, even if you are not working out. Pedro was a bean pole.

And as mentioned, no amount of drugs can induce an increased level of control. Pedro's control during those years was the best there has ever been, hands down. Privilege to watch. I remember during 98/99 when anyone who cared about baseball would not miss a Pedro start, fan of another team or no. It was electric.
What about all the players he beaned? Roid rage perhaps?

Reaction Score
More than Millar, Damon, Varitek, Papi, Youk??? You can't honestly believe there weren't as many on those Sox teams can you? That's funny.........
How could you leave off Manny?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds