OT....AROD to be banned from baseball. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT....AROD to be banned from baseball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Yanks signed the guy twice knowing.

Absolutely wrong. Rodriguez never admitted nor was linked to steroids until after he re-upped following the World Series fiasco. As stupid as the deal was, Hank believed he was signing the "clean" HR guy who would surpass Bonds.

Reaction Score
Are we talking MLB or the Aztecs? If anyone is to be sacrificed it should be that scumbag Bud Selig. He should resign admitting he has been a total failure and that all this mess happened on his watch and that he is donating his last years salary to charity.

Selig arguably rode the wave when McGwire and Sosa revived flagging interest in the game. But since then he's been pretty strong against doping. The union has continually dragged its feet on testing and on penalties. Unfortunately, the money is so significant and Bonds, etc. proved to enough players' minds that the benefits can be real, that it's become a scientific arms race. Baseball bans something and weasels try to find work-arounds. The Olympics has amazingly tough testing protocols - witness asking Vonn to provide a sample during a gala on a date with Tiger - but athletes (Tyson Gay) are still taking the risk.

Reaction Score
Yep you're right, like Chris Davis is, Miguel Cabrera is, Ecarnarcion is, Bautista is, Papi etc etc etc..........how can he be the only one along with Braun? I have no problem suspending his a* but it would be wrong to ban him for life........too much they haven't figured out as of yet happening right under their noses!
The Yankees are probably pressuring the Commissioner to ban Arod for life. They would like out of the contract without paying him and it makes sense from a business standpoint so you can't really fault them. What doesn't make sense is banning Arod for life because he won't accept their punishment without putting up a fight when so many others had similar abuses.
I'm not a lawyer but MLB should expect a lawsuit from Arod if they try to enforce a lifetime ban.It seems to me that a lifetime ban would be unfair selective punishment.

Reaction Score
The Yankees are probably pressuring the Commissioner to ban Arod for life. They would like out of the contract without paying him and it makes sense from a business standpoint so you can't really fault them. What doesn't make sense is banning Arod for life because he won't accept their punishment without putting up a fight when so many others had similar abuses.
I'm not a lawyer but MLB should expect a lawsuit from Arod if they try to enforce a lifetime ban.It seems to me that a lifetime ban would be unfair selective punishment.

Would the Yankees like to get out from under ARod's contract? In a NY second. But I doubt they're pressuring Selig. MLB wants a nice clean whack, like with Braun, and I'd guess the lifetime ban is a hammer to get ARod to forego any appeal.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Wouldn't be surprised if Cano is on juice as well.

Reaction Score
I'm not an ARod fan but I'd like to see him treated like everyone else.

Reaction Score
I hate ARoid, but all he did was do everything he could to win. And he is no bigger creep than Clemans is.

Okay, maybe a bit more creepy...

a-rod-kisses-himself-details-magazine.jpg

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Same way felt about SF Giants when they got Bonds, was a fan all the way back to Polo Grounds days.

Thing that's sad about Bonds is, without the steroids he was one of the best players in the history of the game. He just ruined it for ego purposes.

I'm not sure A-rod was ever that good (ie without some sort of juice).

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm not an ARod fan but I'd like to see him treated like everyone else.

He is. Others aren't thinking of appealing their ban. He's had multiple strikes, so his penalty will obviously be more severe.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I hate ARoid, but all he did was do everything he could to win. And he is no bigger creep than Clemans is.

Is that really saying anything at all?? Clemens is pretty damn high on that particular scale?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Baseball is actually finally trying to clean up the game and the fans have made I known they want the game to be clean, don't understand why nobody seems to care at all that he majority of NFL and college football players are on PED's.

They are paid to kill each other (no AH jokes please). Juice only helps in that regard.

I believe the NFL and NFLPA are making steps towards testing anyway. Taking their sweet time, but still...

intlzncster

Reaction Score
They didn't have to give him the contract now did they. Canseco* told everyone arod was dirty .aroid was clutch during their last WS. Now instead of being handcuffed by that horrible signing they get a reprieve from mlb. Poor yankees.

Most honest man in baseball. Note to self, never be a whistle blower.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yeah, because it's always a good idea to negotiate based on tidbits from Jose Canseco*. Nobody had any idea A-Rod was dirty when he signed the contract, and to pretend otherwise is abusing the power of hindsight.

again, most honest man in baseball.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
My limited understanding is that the evidence against A-Rod is far stronger than what they had against Braun, and what's really got MLB amped up is that they've got A-Rod dead to rights on interfering with the investigation, attempting to purchase evidence, etc. You'll note, also, that the players association has been relatively quiet.

But I read in Bloomberg today that Selig annually confirms to the players association, in writing, that he won't invoke the "best interests of baseball" clause, so this lifetime ban stuff could just be a negotiating tactic.

Also, Arod has multiple infractions.

Reaction Score
Thing that's sad about Bonds is, without the steroids he was one of the best players in the history of the game. He just ruined it for ego purposes.

I'm not sure A-rod was ever that good (ie without some sort of juice).

Bonds did it, for the same reason they all did it. The money was too great to pass up. chances are ARod, does not come close to earning 500 million dollars worth of contractswithout the juice.

Reaction Score
He is. Others aren't thinking of appealing their ban. He's had multiple strikes, so his penalty will obviously be more severe.

he really hasn't had multiple strikes. Sports Illustrated was getting ready to do an expose of him and he had that press conference too short circuit that.he was on the list that was concealed with 100 names on it. Baseball is really going after him because he tried to impede the investigation.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm a faithful baseball fan despite its boring reputation. However, baseball has actually become more boring since they decided to clear PEDs from the game. I always thought the purpose of professional sports at least from a fan's perspective was to entertain. Well, I am not as entertained anymore. We need PEDs back in the game if for no other reason than I enjoy seeing home runs and bloated batting averages.

I'm actually in your camp. The 'integrity of the game' is utter bollocks. MLB players have been cheating since the dawn of time. Heck, I've heard 'horse steroid injection' stories from way back in the day. Corking, cutting, spitting, stealing signs, whatever...

Besides, PEDs saved the game in 98. Most exciting season in recent memory.

Side note, how good was Pedro Martinez. In the height of the steroid era, guy has arguably the two or 3 greatest pitching seasons in history. Posted 97-00, he posted 1.90, 2.89, 2.07, 1.74 era. 17-8, 19-7, 23-4, 18-6. Yikes.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
6 posts in a row? @intlzncster is getting pretty into this.

7. if you hadn't of broken my momentum. I ended with a walk off piece. No PEDs.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
he really hasn't had multiple strikes. Sports Illustrated was getting ready to do an expose of him and he had that press conference too short circuit that.he was on the list that was concealed with 100 names on it. Baseball is really going after him because he tried to impede the investigation.

And lied about this test, no? I also thought he failed another one somewhere in there, but I could be wrong.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Bonds did it, for the same reason they all did it. The money was too great to pass up. chances are ARod, does not come close to earning 500 million dollars worth of contractswithout the juice.

Bonds had more money than he ever knew what to do with. Word was he was insanely jealous of Mcgwire and Sosa.

Reaction Score
I'm actually in your camp. The 'integrity of the game' is utter bollocks. MLB players have been cheating since the dawn of time. Heck, I've heard 'horse steroid injection' stories from way back in the day. Corking, cutting, spitting, stealing signs, whatever...

Besides, PEDas saved the game in 98. Most exciting season in recent memory.

Side note, how good was Pedro Martinez. In the height of the steroid era, guy has arguably the two or 3 greatest pitching seasons in history. Posted 97-00, he posted 1.90, 2.89, 2.07, 1.74 era. 17-8, 19-7, 23-4, 18-6. Yikes.

Greatest pitcher ever for about 6 years. It really is incredible what he did pitching in a hitter friendly park, with the DH at the height of the steroid era. I think one of those years Clemens finished second in ERA around 4. Pretty incredible. His ERA if he pitched now would be around 1.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Besides, PEDs saved the game in 98. Most exciting season in recent memory.

Greatest pitcher ever for about 6 years. It really is incredible what he did pitching in a hitter friendly park, with the DH at the height of the steroid era. I think one of those years Clemens finished second in ERA around 4. Pretty incredible. His ERA if he pitched now would be around 1.

Ummm...not to be a killjoy or anything. I liked Petey as much as a Yankees fan could for his sheer ability to entertain. But a 140lb pip squeak throwing that kind of smoke who spent most of his off seasons in a country rampant with PED's and a huge get out to play MLB at any cost culture fits the user profile better than just about anyone else.

The guys getting caught have either been outed by someone they know or through the kind of records audit that is only available in the US.

If Pedro were playing now, I'm fairly certain he be in similar spot as Clemens.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Ummm...not to be a killjoy or anything. I liked Petey as much as a Yankees fan could for his sheer ability to entertain. But a 140lb pip squeak throwing that kind of smoke who spent most of his off seasons in a country rampant with PED's and a huge get out to play MLB at any cost culture fits the user profile better than just about anyone else.

The guys getting caught have either been outed by someone they know or through the kind of records audit that is only available in the US.

If Pedro were playing now, I'm fairly certain he be in similar spot as Clemens.

Note though, PEDs won't make you throw any more accurate or nor give you much more stuff, which is where Pedro truly excelled. Never seen another player locat breaking pitches and fastballs like that, outside of Greg Maddux (juicer??). PEDs (and roids) help with recovery but not strength; andro helped with strength (iirc). His body profile probably nixes him from the strength argument (see bonds/sosa/mcgwire's head and arms).

Now he certainly could have been helped by PEDs RE recovery, and I believe no player is a saint nor get the benefit of the doubt. RE stuff, check out his fingers/hands. Craziest size fingers I've ever seen.

If you look at his whipsaw delivery, you'll see why he had gas. Same sort of style as Buchholz/Strasburg. Also why those guys breakdown a lot. Too much strain/torque for those rubbery arms. Wasn't able to play late into his career, unlike other juicers (Clemens,Pettite,Colon...)

And again, compare him to other pitchers of his era, including the juicers. Not remotely close. There's never been anyone quite like that (Koufax maybe).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom