OT: 2018 Golf | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: 2018 Golf

Reaction Score
Getting out on Sunday for the first time this year. Stoked.

Just had my 18th round of the year today at Quarry and haven't left the northeast. You have to start earlier DJ!!;)

As far as Speith being the guy, I like him but he doesn't do much for me then again most golfers these days don't. It's great they sign autographs and stuff but we need more charisma in the game not sure where that will come from. More apt to like a Perez type myself like to see him in Cromwell - you'd see him at ChiSams like Fuzzy did back in the day.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Just had my 18th round of the year today at Quarry and haven't left the northeast.

How is that course? They were still building it when I left Quincy for Pittsburgh. The townhouse I was renting would've been right alongside one of the fairways.

When I left, the place was being labeled a potential environmental hazard from all the orange ooze that was leeching from it.

Reaction Score
How is that course? They were still building it when I left Quincy for Pittsburgh. The townhouse I was renting would've been right alongside one of the fairways.

When I left, the place was being labeled a potential environmental hazard from all the orange ooze that was leeching from it.

What’s the orange ooze or should I not ask...

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
What’s the orange ooze or should I not ask...

I may have the course wrong. When I left Quincy in 2002 the thing was going to be called Quarry Hills. Turned out it ended up being called Granite something or other. So might not be same course mau was playing. Looks like its won some awards though.

But to answer your question, the area was an old quarry site that became a landfill. The more dirt they loaded on top of all the crap, the higher the pressure below and toxic orange ooze started seeping, then running out of the bottom of the hill they'd created. I stopped following the story after I moved.

Reaction Score
I may have the course wrong. When I left Quincy in 2002 the thing was going to be called Quarry Hills. Turned out it ended up being called Granite something or other. So might not be same course mau was playing. Looks like its won some awards though.

But to answer your question, the area was an old quarry site that became a landfill. The more dirt they loaded on top of all the crap, the higher the pressure below and toxic orange ooze started seeping, then running out of the bottom of the hill they'd created. I stopped following the story after I moved.

Well Quincy is a big dump but that’s pretty revolting.

Reaction Score

I played Quarry Ridge in Portland CT.. Are you thinking about Granite Links built on top of the dump overlooking Boston?

Reaction Score

That Quincy course (27 holes) is rated one of the top in MA. Has views of Boston from some of the hills. Looks spectacular.

Reaction Score
I played Quarry Ridge in Portland CT.. Are you thinking about Granite Links built on top of the dump overlooking Boston?
How is QR? Haven’t been there for a few years now, but meeting some friends pre-Memorial weekend.

Reaction Score
I loved Quarry when it was 9 holes. To me, they ruined the course somewhat when they crammed another 9 holes in.

Reaction Score
How is QR? Haven’t been there for a few years now, but meeting some friends pre-Memorial weekend.

It’s in pretty nice shape a little powanna on the greens but they rolled nice. You will enjoy it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Four pars in my initial 9 holes of the year. Don't ask about the other five. Driver was straight, hybrids too, irons had a severe draw, which I consider a positive once I figure it out, and I chipped like Tom Watson...mostly. Putting was fine.

So a good start to the year considering there were sustained 20 MPH winds playing havoc with the ball.

Reaction Score
anyone ever order irons from rock bottom golf? recommend? stay away? price is considerably less than Golfers Warehouse

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
anyone ever order irons from rock bottom golf? recommend? stay away? price is considerably less than Golfers Warehouse

Wedges and hybrids, yes. It's fine. All new stuff, comes well packaged. I recommend them.

Reaction Score
Quick scouting report from St. Andrews in April:

April 6 - Jubilee @ St. Andrews links - was about 45 degrees, blowing 20 out. Coming back in was super hard. Nice layout.
April 7 - Castle - owned by St. Andrews but outside of town a bit. Nice day, about 50, super hilly - even with caddies a tough walk but great views - it is on the oceanside - 17th hole at the edge of the cliffs was great.
April 8 - New Course @ St. Andrews - probably the easiest of the bunch - not much to say, but got into the mid 50s so was gorgeous out.
April 9 - Got lucky and we got an extra tee time in the lottery so got to do 36 @ the Old Course. Was unreal. And although I was erratic for most of the day, I did par and bogey the Road Hole and I'm pretty happy with that. Our caddies said that in all of their years they only knew of a handful of chaps that got to play the Old 2x in the same day, so that was pretty special. Weather cooperated also - near 50 in the morning and ended low 40s - we got done at 7:30 from the 2nd round.
April 10 - Carnoustie - the site of this year's Open. Not sure what to say, other than it had all of its teeth. Was 41, blowing 15-25 all day, and the back 9 it was raining in sheets. Shot 105, and I don't even feel I played that poorly. I think I'm still cold.
April 11 - Eden @ St. Andrews - nice course. Was about 45 and blowing pretty hard so was more difficult than it should have been.

7 rounds - 6 days - caddies for all of them - have to walk, and the caddies were worth every penny.

Great trip - ate haggis nearly every day (which has a bad reputation - it is really great and pretty mild) - drank lots of Laphroaig (not a surprise since that's what I drink at home) - just wish it were a touch warmer, but then it wouldn't be Scotland I guess ;)

Wow, I'm jealous.

Reaction Score
Wow, I'm jealous.

I didn't arrange the trip - if you do it far enough in advance it doesn't cost that much. We rented an apartment right near the Old Course - think it was $200/night roughly and it had 3 bedrooms. Golf cost an average of $100/round.

Most expensive thing was the caddies (which are optional) - 50 GBP per round, plus 20 GBP suggested tip. Spent 500 GBP on caddies (around $750). But overall the trip wasn't that expensive.

Reaction Score
Quick scouting report from St. Andrews in April:

April 6 - Jubilee @ St. Andrews links - was about 45 degrees, blowing 20 out. Coming back in was super hard. Nice layout.
April 7 - Castle - owned by St. Andrews but outside of town a bit. Nice day, about 50, super hilly - even with caddies a tough walk but great views - it is on the oceanside - 17th hole at the edge of the cliffs was great.
April 8 - New Course @ St. Andrews - probably the easiest of the bunch - not much to say, but got into the mid 50s so was gorgeous out.
April 9 - Got lucky and we got an extra tee time in the lottery so got to do 36 @ the Old Course. Was unreal. And although I was erratic for most of the day, I did par and bogey the Road Hole and I'm pretty happy with that. Our caddies said that in all of their years they only knew of a handful of chaps that got to play the Old 2x in the same day, so that was pretty special. Weather cooperated also - near 50 in the morning and ended low 40s - we got done at 7:30 from the 2nd round.
April 10 - Carnoustie - the site of this year's Open. Not sure what to say, other than it had all of its teeth. Was 41, blowing 15-25 all day, and the back 9 it was raining in sheets. Shot 105, and I don't even feel I played that poorly. I think I'm still cold.
April 11 - Eden @ St. Andrews - nice course. Was about 45 and blowing pretty hard so was more difficult than it should have been.

7 rounds - 6 days - caddies for all of them - have to walk, and the caddies were worth every penny.

Great trip - ate haggis nearly every day (which has a bad reputation - it is really great and pretty mild) - drank lots of Laphroaig (not a surprise since that's what I drink at home) - just wish it were a touch warmer, but then it wouldn't be Scotland I guess ;)

Incredibly jealous. When I was in Edinburgh with my wife two years ago she let me rent a car and drive to St. Andrews for a day and I got to play the new course. Incredible how reasonable golf is there relative to nice courses here.

Reaction Score

Stay far away from Golfers Warehouse! Rock Bottom is very good and if you're shopping local, go to Chris Cote's. He may be able to match Rock Bottom

Reaction Score
I have picked up putters from 3Ball and used clubs from Global Golf. And from Taylormade Preowned.
The used stuff I’ve received is fine for me. Some character marks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom