OT: 2018 Golf | The Boneyard

OT: 2018 Golf

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Another suck season done by the men and spring is around the corner. Golf time!

Personally haven't played this year; weekends have been packed. Daylight savings time starting Sunday means a mid-week post work 9 hole is in play. Realistically, I'm expecting April to be the start.

As for the pros, interesting season so far. Phil's win last week was good for ratings and it brings up the thought of Phil's win motivating Tiger a bit this week. Rating for Inninsbrook will be big today, and, if Tiger stays in contention, will be monster ratings tomorrow. For all the hubbub over the youngin's Phil and Tiger move the needle like none of the youngsters. If Tiger plays well this week and at Bay Hill, Master's ratings will be way up Thurs/Fri.

Otherwise, I don't expect DJ or Rory to put together great seasons any more. Married and a ton of money means a few sparks of brilliance but no full seasons of dominance. Jordan has to figure out how to score again; Thomas seems most likely to have an opening the next 2-3 years to go on a run. Young, long, clutch. Good combination to have in your bag. I'll be real low risk and say Rahm gets his first major this year. Not sure what Koepka does going forward. I think Matsuyama has a 1-2 year dip before he gets going by his late 20's. I enjoy watching some of the guys who struggled early on their careers become legit pro players- James Hahn, Brian Harmon, Billy Hurley, etc. Much more enjoyable to me than the instant stars. And I have no idea how Pat Perez or Charlie Hoffman do what they do.

Hoping to find a way to get a few new courses on to my list this year but nothing is set as of now.

Reaction Score
I have 6 rounds in this year all in CT, MA or RI. Another coming tomorrow at Winnapaug in Westerly. It's actually fun to leave 6-7 inches of snow and drive 1:45 and play golf with no snow in sight.

Never a huge Lefty fan but he has won me over as he gets older, nice win recently for sure happy for him. Tiger is great f0r golf, not sure he's ready this weekend although he seems to be close. He will win again I do believe, he looks like he's comfortable swinging the club while having a swing much closer to what we saw when he was winning. Like Chin said this weekend will be crazy if he contends right through to the back nine tomorrow. His short game has come back in dramatic style - the yips are history, or are they when things tighten? Hope we see.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Tiger did his part yesterday.

Playing second to last group today. He'll have massive galleries. Last group won't have to look at scoreboard to know what's going on in front of them.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I played 9 while visiting my parents in South Carolina. I was awful. Need to fix my swing. Couldn’t even chip down there in that Bermuda grass.

Thinking of buying a new driver. Probably a 2017 M2.

Anybody play Kirkbrae in Lincoln, RI? Two friends joined late last year. So I hope to get in several guest rounds this year. It’s a nice course.

Reaction Score
I have 6 rounds in this year all in CT, MA or RI. Another coming tomorrow at Winnapaug in Westerly. It's actually fun to leave 6-7 inches of snow and drive 1:45 and play golf with no snow in sight.

Never a huge Lefty fan but he has won me over as he gets older, nice win recently for sure happy for him. Tiger is great f0r golf, not sure he's ready this weekend although he seems to be close. He will win again I do believe, he looks like he's comfortable swinging the club while having a swing much closer to what we saw when he was winning. Like Chin said this weekend will be crazy if he contends right through to the back nine tomorrow. His short game has come back in dramatic style - the yips are history, or are they when things tighten? Hope we see.
Yes, there were some opportunities for me to play also. We had a few stretches of nice weather this winter. Between working, and having to do a long drive, it just wasn’t at the top of my list. Glad someone took advantage of it.

Reaction Score
Another suck season done by the men and spring is around the corner. Golf time!

Personally haven't played this year; weekends have been packed. Daylight savings time starting Sunday means a mid-week post work 9 hole is in play. Realistically, I'm expecting April to be the start.

As for the pros, interesting season so far. Phil's win last week was good for ratings and it brings up the thought of Phil's win motivating Tiger a bit this week. Rating for Inninsbrook will be big today, and, if Tiger stays in contention, will be monster ratings tomorrow. For all the hubbub over the youngin's Phil and Tiger move the needle like none of the youngsters. If Tiger plays well this week and at Bay Hill, Master's ratings will be way up Thurs/Fri.

Otherwise, I don't expect DJ or Rory to put together great seasons any more. Married and a ton of money means a few sparks of brilliance but no full seasons of dominance. Jordan has to figure out how to score again; Thomas seems most likely to have an opening the next 2-3 years to go on a run. Young, long, clutch. Good combination to have in your bag. I'll be real low risk and say Rahm gets his first major this year. Not sure what Koepka does going forward. I think Matsuyama has a 1-2 year dip before he gets going by his late 20's. I enjoy watching some of the guys who struggled early on their careers become legit pro players- James Hahn, Brian Harmon, Billy Hurley, etc. Much more enjoyable to me than the instant stars. And I have no idea how Pat Perez or Charlie Hoffman do what they do.

Hoping to find a way to get a few new courses on to my list this year but nothing is set as of now.
Played the Tradtion in Wallingford and East Hartford a couple of weeks ago. The fairways were too wet resulting in most of the drives plugging.

But hell, it felt good to swing the clubs again on a CT course.

Reaction Score
Rooting hard for Tiger, Phil, or anyone other veteran of the tour to take down the millennial brat pack.

Phil’s take down of Justin Thomas last week was sweet. Can’t stand any of the millennial punks on tour right now.

Reaction Score
I have played golf a few times already this year and I am shocked at how fast Tiger has come back after having back surgery less then a year ago, amazing

Reaction Score
They all aren't punks Jim. Tiger added serious excitement and entertainment yesterday. Crowds were electric.

Reaction Score
Yes, there were some opportunities for me to play also. We had a few stretches of nice weather this winter. Between working, and having to do a long drive, it just wasn’t at the top of my list. Glad someone took advantage of it.

At #14 at Winnapaug right now with a UMass fan, a UNH fan and another Husky fan fun day.... 2 over after 13 and missed a couple bunnies can’t wait for Hurley to lose so he can recruit Akinjo and more

Reaction Score
They all aren't punks Jim. Tiger added serious excitement and entertainment yesterday. Crowds were electric.

I can’t stand the way they all hang around the 18th green to congratulate each other when they win. If they wanted the spotlight so badly they should’ve played better. Grandstanding punks. Go in the clubhouse.

Reaction Score
That do hang around. I'd be in the clubhouse downing some brewski's. It would be crazy if Tiger can win this.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Winter golf was fun when I lived in Quincy. Cape courses had great drainage.

Here in Pittsburgh, it's pretty much not a thing. Even if you get a couple of consecutive 55F+ days, it's just not a ton of fun as there's a ton of clay in soil here and fairways stay wet much longer than in the NE. Nothing so frustrating as hitting great shots that plug upon landing. There are hardcores that do it, but IMO, this early in the season it's more fun at the range.

Reaction Score
Went to Chris Cote's yesterday and it was a zoo. Seems like everyone has the itch to get out soon.

Reaction Score

Here in Pittsburgh, it's pretty much not a thing. Even if you get a couple of consecutive 55F+ days, it's just not a ton of fun as there's a ton of clay in soil here and fairways stay wet much longer than in the NE. Nothing so frustrating as hitting great shots that plug upon landing. There are hardcores that do it, but IMO, this early in the season it's more fun at the range.
I get email from Dennis Golf, and the Pines had to be closed for nor’easter repair for over a week. The Cape got slammed this past month.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

That’s one of the reasons I want to retire to the cape. Sadly, prices are just astronomical now. I thought it was bad 2-3 years ago.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sunday ratings at Valspar through the roof.

Beat 2017 US Open, Open Championship and PGA by 150%. Only Masters last year drew bigger numbers.

Saturday was the highest Saturday rating for any tour event (non-major) since 2006.

Sunday was 28% higher than last time Tiger was in contention.

Any and every metric proves he still moves needle like no one else.

Tiger Woods gives NBC massive ratings boost for Valspar

Reaction Score
I get email from Dennis Golf, and the Pines had to be closed for nor’easter repair for over a week. The Cape got slammed this past month.

They're getting killed again today, glad I got that round in will be shut out for a while. Good time for a quick long weekend to Ocean City MD to play.

Reaction Score

Winter is the best time to play golf if you don’t mind Canadian’s and high prices

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
My last round was in the American Century Celebrity tourney in Tahoe. I played with Marcus Allen and a couple of others. I was so terrible my buddy who runs Edgewood Tahoe (the host course) told me I couldn't play next year. My only hope is that my 2016 partner, Ray Ramano, will have me back even though I suck.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I was at Valspar and it was tough to get close to see Tiger. You essentially parked yourself at a green and waited for him to come to you! I followed Patrick Reed and I am pulling for him. Love to watch Matt Kuchar also. I play golf with some of the Copperheads and this tournament has been a huge boost for Valspar (now Sherwin Williams)

Reaction Score
Sunday ratings at Valspar through the roof.

Beat 2017 US Open, Open Championship and PGA by 150%. Only Masters last year drew bigger numbers.

Saturday was the highest Saturday rating for any tour event (non-major) since 2006.

Sunday was 28% higher than last time Tiger was in contention.

Any and every metric proves he still moves needle like no one else.

Tiger Woods gives NBC massive ratings boost for Valspar
Have to think that northeast being snowed in was part of that...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom