OT: 2018 Golf | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: 2018 Golf

Reaction Score
Played Saturday in nice weather and have 2-3 inches on the ground up here today, this has been crazy. Obviously will be gone by Wednesday but still, nuts.
Most places haven’t even opened their ranges, and you keep finding the ones that are open. God bless you.

Reaction Score
I've play at minimum once a week in the winter months. Great deals on the teeoff app. What golf clubs is everyone here playing?

Reaction Score
played Blue Fox in Avon Saturday - looking to get out to Stanley this wknd - the season is here!!

looking for a new set of irons - any recommendations?

Reaction Score
I've play at minimum once a week in the winter months. Great deals on the teeoff app. What golf clubs is everyone here playing?
I am GolfNow fan. As a VIP member for $99, the convenience fees are waived along with extra bonus points.

It is a no brainer for me.

Reaction Score
looking for a new set of irons - any recommendations?

Depends on what level you play at. Lots of great options these days, go find a place where you can hit different clubs and get fit. I'm currently playing mizuno mp-54s with dg s300 shafts.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Don't look at me, lol. Still playing a set of Taylor Mades from 1995, microscopic heads compared to stuff being used now. Love 'em, although I broke my 7-wood couple years ago. Also using 20 year old Golfsmith irons, mismatched wedges and an Odyssey putter. And whatever unscuffed balls I find.

I have a couple of 360cc-400cc drivers, never could hit the things straight.

FTR, 18-ish handicap. Never learned how to play safe. OK, I learned how, but I refuse to do it, lol.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm currently playing...

Irons - Mizuno MP-54
Driver - Ping G set to 9.5 degree
Woods - Ping G30 3W 14.5 degree
Hybrid - Callaway X2 Hot 19 degree
Wedges - Cleveland tour action 52 and 56
Putter - Ping Anser 2

Reaction Score
I’m currently on the 3rd hole. There’s a group on the green, another on the tee, and two groups waiting behind them. 4 groups on one Par 3. This is my personal hell. Slow play is killing golf.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I’m currently on the 3rd hole. There’s a group on the green, another on the tee, and two groups waiting behind them. 4 groups on one Par 3. This is my personal hell. Slow play is killing golf.

There's a public course near me I typically enjoy as it's got a great four finishing holes, but there is one really bad aspect - back-to-back par 3s on the front sandwiched between a long par 5 and what some morons consider a driveable par 4 (319 from whites). Playing weekday mornings isn't bad, but trying to get 9 in after work or playing on weekends... frustrating.

Reaction Score
Just turned the corner at Akashi Golf Club. First round of the year and I'm playing terrible.

Edit: after a front 9 50, I've got 5 straight pars. Might be able to salvage it.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Played The Legends course at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island this afternoon.

Always a humbling experience just entering the base.

Beautiful near links style course. Sunny and about a 15-20 mph wind. Tough conditions. They give you extra motivation on first tee box to emphasize being straight over being long.

Saw at least a half dozen of these critters today.

IMG_20180416_192331.jpg

Reaction Score
Spieth is coming back to the Travelers. The field doesn’t look as good as last year but it’s still good and there is plenty of time for other guys to join.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Spieth is coming back to the Travelers. The field doesn’t look as good as last year but it’s still good and there is plenty of time for other guys to join.

Spieth
McIlroy
Patrick Reed
Justin Thomas
Bubba
Zach Johnson

That's plenty of headliners for right now. The field will continue to fill up.

Best thing the Travelers did was embrace being the tournament the week after the US Open. Gave the tournament committee stability for scheduling purposes and work on solutions on how to get the players to Cromwell.

Reaction Score
Would not be surprised by a Kuchar commit. Hopefully Fowler will come back.

Reaction Score
Spieth
McIlroy
Patrick Reed
Justin Thomas
Bubba
Zach Johnson

That's plenty of headliners for right now. The field will continue to fill up.

Best thing the Travelers did was embrace being the tournament the week after the US Open. Gave the tournament committee stability for scheduling purposes and work on solutions on how to get the players to Cromwell.

I can’t say enough about how great of a job Travelers has done. This event was really close to being demoted not that long ago.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Spieth is all I needed to get me jacked. Now if Day commits I think we’ll have all the same big names as last year.

I’m not expecting it, but a major bonus would be any one of Fowler, Michelson, Woods or Dustin Johnson.

Reaction Score
I can’t say enough about how great of a job Travelers has done. This event was really close to being demoted not that long ago.
The credit really goes to the Jaycees for always running one of the most player and player/family friendly tournaments on the tour.

Reaction Score
Spieth is all I needed to get me jacked. Now if Day commits I think we’ll have all the same big names as last year.

I’m not expecting it, but a major bonus would be any one of Fowler, Michelson, Woods or Dustin Johnson.

Tiger and Phil are exempt from the new rules but I wouldn’t be surprised if Rickie came.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Tiger and Phil are exempt from the new rules but I wouldn’t be surprised if Rickie came.

Well speaking of the new rule, I feared that very rule would push some of these same guys away this year as they move on to find new events to meet the new rules. Great to see that it hasn't done that in reverse. Yes, I know we hope/plan to become one of the indispensable (so to speak) core stops for the best - but I think we'll need a few more years like last year (ideal weather, strong crowds, good conditions, compelling finish) to achieve that higher status.

Reaction Score
Quick scouting report from St. Andrews in April:

April 6 - Jubilee @ St. Andrews links - was about 45 degrees, blowing 20 out. Coming back in was super hard. Nice layout.
April 7 - Castle - owned by St. Andrews but outside of town a bit. Nice day, about 50, super hilly - even with caddies a tough walk but great views - it is on the oceanside - 17th hole at the edge of the cliffs was great.
April 8 - New Course @ St. Andrews - probably the easiest of the bunch - not much to say, but got into the mid 50s so was gorgeous out.
April 9 - Got lucky and we got an extra tee time in the lottery so got to do 36 @ the Old Course. Was unreal. And although I was erratic for most of the day, I did par and bogey the Road Hole and I'm pretty happy with that. Our caddies said that in all of their years they only knew of a handful of chaps that got to play the Old 2x in the same day, so that was pretty special. Weather cooperated also - near 50 in the morning and ended low 40s - we got done at 7:30 from the 2nd round.
April 10 - Carnoustie - the site of this year's Open. Not sure what to say, other than it had all of its teeth. Was 41, blowing 15-25 all day, and the back 9 it was raining in sheets. Shot 105, and I don't even feel I played that poorly. I think I'm still cold.
April 11 - Eden @ St. Andrews - nice course. Was about 45 and blowing pretty hard so was more difficult than it should have been.

7 rounds - 6 days - caddies for all of them - have to walk, and the caddies were worth every penny.

Great trip - ate haggis nearly every day (which has a bad reputation - it is really great and pretty mild) - drank lots of Laphroaig (not a surprise since that's what I drink at home) - just wish it were a touch warmer, but then it wouldn't be Scotland I guess ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom