NON-Uconn WCBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Big blow for WVU if she doesn't return: Martin Suspended Indefinitely

Perhaps she may grad transfer to MTSU? :D
Yikes. This would be really sad. After her breakout sophomore campaign she looked like a surefire future All-American.

She is a redshirt senior, so if she's completed her degree I don't see why she couldn't grad-transfer and play elsewhere immediately.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I wonder if Gondrezick is available to possibly pick up the slack
She's apparently still on the team. Their Twitter account has been featuring her lately. But I don't think she can compensate for the loss of Tynice Martin.

Reaction Score
She's apparently still on the team. Their Twitter account has been featuring her lately. But I don't think she can compensate for the loss of Tynice Martin.
Correct - There was an article from raoul_000 that she is back.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Im not sure if its the first conference to release its conference slate....... but the Big South released their's yesterday @Plebe

Big South Reveals 2019-20 Women's Basketball League Schedule

Of course..... a full 20 game round robin....... Tuesday-Saturday Format with a few exceptions. Unfortunately the last scheduled regular season game in Millis Center (HPU) is the same day/time as the ACC Women's semifinals. Head bang

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sarah Bates granted a waiver and will be immediately eligible at Georgia Tech. She transferred to K State from UC Santa Barbara and sat out last season. Transferred again and voila. Not sure which exception to the year in residence requirement this one fits into. Two transfers and sitting out one year is enough? Or maybe this is about GTech needing players after the Machelle Joseph mess. I’m guessing a little of both.

The NCAA appearing quite generous these days. We’ll see what happens when Westbrook’s case is on the docket.

Reaction Score
Duke
finishes in the top 5

giphy.gif

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
oh boy .... Im sure this won't go over well in Northern Indiana not that I care

If Duke finishes in the top 5 this year.. I'll name my first born Antonelli McCallie :confused:

Oh I'm sure she loves it. ND does better as an underdog.

I'm with Vowelguy here. I think MM will thank Deb for giving her a virtual bulletin-board talking point that she can use right up to the start of the ACC schedule. Interesting: I've always viewed Antonelli as someone who respects ND/MM and "gets" the program. Maybe MM was doing her best Lou Holtz with her ("...oh, don't know how we're going to do even though we're 20-pt. favorites")? :rolleyes:;)

That aside, me thinks Deb has been working too hard on shooting foul shots this summer.
- Last time I checked Louisville lost it's three best players (Durr, Fuehring, Carter). Does she know the two Georgia Tech transfers will be given immediate eligibility? If so, they'll be very good. But, otherwise, don't see them at the top of the bunch.
- Will NC State be as good without Ms. Leslie to take the main heat?
- Can Mompremier do as well in the paint without Emese Hof? And they'll need to find another PG without Cornelius there.
- Triad's reaction to Duke is good enough for me.
- Now, Florida State....that I can see. Last year was supposed to be a holding/transition year and they've got some ammo coming in as frosh.

In the meantime, MM can sneak the Irish in the side door, thank you very much. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
- Now, Florida State....that I can see. Last year was supposed to be a holding/transition year and they've got some ammo coming in as frosh.

Regarding FSU, Nicoletti blew out her other knee, so she is done for the year again, tough luck for the young woman. FSU, once again, does not have a true point guard on the roster. I do not think Sue will ever get over the hump because:
1. She can never land more than one elite inside talent
2. She has trouble recruiting evenly, always seem to be guard heavy and ironically not the point variety.

I think FSU ends up around 5-6 in the league.

Reaction Score
Regarding FSU, Nicoletti blew out her other knee, so she is done for the year again, tough luck for the young woman. FSU, once again, does not have a true point guard on the roster. I do not think Sue will ever get over the hump because:
2. She has trouble recruiting evenly, always seem to be guard heavy and ironically not the point variety.

Valencia Myers and River Baldwin are going to be very good, not bad as far as elite inside talent in back-to-back years.

It’ll be interesting to see if she can land any of Andrews/Williams/Scott.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Valencia Myers and River Baldwin are going to be very good, not bad as far as elite inside talent in back-to-back years.

It’ll be interesting to see if she can land any of Andrews/Williams/Scott.

Crazyhorse:
I think I'm more bullish on your Seminoles than you are! Remember, you went 24-9 last year, have most people back plus some very good recruits coming in.

And....
- As DaBball said, you've got River Baldwin (frosh) joining Valencia Myers (sophomore) and that's a young core to build around inside the paint.
- And you're adding Sammie Puisis to the mix who -- as a lot of folks learned in the post-H.S. season all-star games -- can stroke it with the best of them. And she's not a guard, but a 6'1" wing who also plays intensely on all ends of the floor (Ask ND's Abby Prohaska, who battled with her for years in southern Ohio.) She, Baldwin and another center - London Clarkson -- were ranked 16th in the overall 2019 class rankings.
Women's Basketball
- And if my comparison of the stat to roster page is correct, Coach Sue S. has her top six scorers back from last year, including Kiah Gillespie (16.2 ppg). Plus, Nicki Eckhomu, who is probably termed a shoot-first point guard (15.0 ppg), is back and she did hand out 133 assists.
https://seminoles.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/FSU-Season-Stats-2018-19-4.pdf
- Some teams prefer to have the offense in the hands of a pass-first field general. Others -- by choice or necessity -- go in other directions. That appears to be the case of FSU. Puisis is known for moving the ball around and getting teammates involved. Maybe that will become a factor.

Your insights -- as an FSU fan -- are always something I look for. But from my perspective -- an ACC rival -- I've got to give credit for Coach Sue's ability to make the best of any situation(s). With all those returners and two top frosh, I think the team will do pretty well; particularly as they assimilate Baldwin and Puisis into the flow.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Clearly Debbie's preseason pick of Louisville assumes the GTech transfers will be immediately eligible which I think is a solid assumption. If they're not eligible for the upcoming season then the whole waiver process is a bigger farce than I think it is.

That said, I think Debbie's preseason picks are solid. The talent level in the ACC will be significantly down compared to previous years mostly because of the players ND and Louisville lost to graduation (and J Young leaving early). I don't know how anyone can argue that ND should be ranked ahead of any of Debbie's top 5 at this time. Debbie knows these teams and players better than I do but a quick look at each team's returning players (and impact transfers) supports her picks.

Below is a look at the significant returning players and transfers for Debbie's top 5 and ND. I didn't include any freshman as none of them jump out at me as big offensive threats for the upcoming season. I'm sure one or two will prove me wrong. Also, for returning players and transfers, there are always questions about whether they can match or exceed last season's production and how returning players and newcomers will mesh. But these players have at least shown they can score at this level.

Louisville

Significant returning players include Dana Evans (10.4 ppg) Jazz Jones (7.6), Bionca Dunham (7.6 ppg), Kylee Shook (7.1 ppg), Lindsay Duvall (3.1 ppg), Mykasa Robinson (1.7 ppg). With those players Louisville returns 37.5 ppg. Add in Elizabeth Balogun (14.6 ppg) and Elizabeth Dixon (11.0 ppg) and Louisville's ppg jumps to 58.3.

NC State

Significant returning players include Grace Hunter (14.6 ppg), E Cunane (13.6 ppg), A Konig (10.7 ppg), K Crutchfield (6.2 ppg), E Cassell (6.6 ppg) and K Jones (4.7 ppg). NC State's returns 56.4 ppg.

Florida State

Significant returning players include K Gillespie (16.2 ppg), N Ekhomu (15.0 ppg), N Woolfolk (13.5 ppg), V Myers (8.9 ppg), M Jones (5.2 ppg), S Wilkinson (3.1 ppg). FSU returns 61.2 ppg.

Miami

Significant returning players include B Mompremier (16.7 ppg), M Gray (12.6 ppg), K Marshall (7.8 ppg), E Banks (3.8 ppg). Miami returns 40.9 ppg.

Duke

Significant returning players include H Gorecki (17.2 ppg), L Odom (13.1),M Goodchild (10.9 ppg), J Williams (8.4 ppg) for a total of 49.6 ppg.

Notre Dame

Significant returning players include M Vaughn (3.3 ppg), A Prohaska (1.5 ppg) and K Gilbert (3.6 ppg in injury-shortened season), That's 8.4 ppg from returning players who played some significant minutes. Two grad transfers will be counted on to play a lot -- M Sniezek and D Walker. Sniezek has always struggled to score, averaging ~ 4 ppg in 3 years at Stanford. D Walker was a legit double digit scorer for UNC (12-14 ppg) but played just a couple of games in '18-19 and missed all of the '17-18 season. Where will the points come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom