Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This is a big blow to Michigan.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
This is only WBB news in a bankshot way, but thought it might be of interest to some.

Niele Ivey's son, Jaden, committed to Purdue today. He's a class of 2020 player. So after next season Niele's nest will be empty, which may make head coaching jobs more tempting for her.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Not seeing the tweet, @Plebe. What's the news?

1556138462972.png

Raoul's tweets don't embed anymore because he locked the account, but I clicked through the link and this is the tweet that Plebe posted.

Reaction Score
This is only WBB news in a bankshot way, but thought it might be of interest to some.

Niele Ivey's son, Jaden, committed to Purdue today. He's a class of 2020 player. So after next season Niele's nest will be empty, which may make head coaching jobs more tempting for her.

This is Big!!! Congrats to Jaden, never realized he was going to be graduating soon. Matt Painter is an underrated coach who will definitely make him better!

OAN- does this mean Niele will be staying in Indy with her son nearby? My guess is yes.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Aren't Purdue and ND big rivals?

Reaction Score

how far is Purdue from ND?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
This is Big!!! Congrats to Jaden, never realized he was going to be graduating soon. Matt Painter is an underrated coach who will definitely make him better!

OAN- does this mean Niele will be staying in Indy with her son nearby? My guess is yes.

At this immediate juncture, I don't know if means a lot since Jaden is class of 2020 and still has a year to go before graduating from high school and moving south to West Lafayette. At that time, Niele Ivey might consider a head coaching position if it's right and tight. I type this knowing that I may be one of the few ND faithful that would like to see Niele Ivey get some head coaching experience before being considered for the ND HC role when Muffet eventually steps down.

Just think there are a lot of elements that go into being the HC that you can never quite prepare for....

But in the meantime, congrats to Jaden and best of luck with the Boilermakers. I, too, think Painter does a good job with Purdue.

Reaction Score
At this immediate juncture, I don't know if means a lot since Jaden is class of 2020 and still has a year to go before graduating from high school and moving south to West Lafayette. At that time, Niele Ivey might consider a head coaching position if it's right and tight. I type this knowing that I may be one of the few ND faithful that would like to see Niele Ivey get some head coaching experience before being considered for the ND HC role when Muffet eventually steps down.

Just think there are a lot of elements that go into being the HC that you can never quite prepare for....

But in the meantime, congrats to Jaden and best of luck with the Boilermakers. I, too, think Painter does a good job with Purdue.

I fully understand you wanting Niele to have a little experience before taking over for Muffet(which I expect she will). I personally don’t want her to be thrown in the fire like Holly was. Although I think she’d make a better HC than Warlick. If she does happen to receive one I do think it will be somewhere in the Midwest where she’s still in arms reach of Jaden. I’m wishing she and him all the best and Congrats to the young man once again!

Reaction Score

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

This is for you and the other notable Irish faithful on here (@Dillon77 @Fightin Choke @IrishTiger )
Will the fans/Athletic Department want an experienced HC when MM goes off into the sunset or will they defer to one of her assistants? And is the job too big for an assistant now that MM has built them into the crème de la crème of WCBB?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
This is for you and the other notable Irish faithful on here (@Dillon77 @Fightin Choke @IrishTiger )
Will the fans/Athletic Department want an experienced HC when MM goes off into the sunset or will they defer to one of her assistants? And is the job too big for an assistant now that MM has built them into the crème de la crème of WCBB?

Lot of layers on that onion, whew.

I would hope and think that AD Jack Swarbrick, other key sports administration members and, yes, ND President Fr. Jenkins recognize how visible and important the women's basketball program is to Notre Dame for a variety of reasons. As such, I think they'll take into account a number of factors, but the key one is to keep this program where MM got it to. No cha-cha's (step backs to go forward).

That said, a minor point on one of your questions:
- ND actually has two experienced head coaches as assistants:
-- Beth Morgan Cunningham had a very solid run at VCU, including appearances in the NIT and NCAA tournaments before coming back to ND.
-- Carol Owens was not quite as successful at her alma mater, Northern Illinois, but might've been in a tougher situation.

However, the assistant most fans have in mind is Niele Ivey, the one who has not had HC experience, yet is the magnetic recruiting coordinator who also has coached the point guards and draws up some pretty mean game plans (as the others do, too). ( Most fans are aware of Niele's deep ties to ND and loyalty to MM, as they're also aware that she raised her son, Jaden, on/in the shadows of the Golden Dome.) She certainly checks the boxes in many categories and would probably be a great public face for the university.

But being a very successful HC is more than being the sum of the parts....does that person have what it take to do all that and add her/his mark?

Personally, I would like Niele to have some HC experience and with her son moving to Purdue in 2020, perhaps now/next spring might be the time to consider appropriate opportunities.

But if that opportunity/time does not come, the university would be able to compare what Niele brings to the table compared to the other ND assistants (Morgan Cunningham, Owens) and/or look at other members of the ND coaching tree. One of the most notable of these is Megan Duffy, the former ND point guard (under MM and Neile) who parlayed two good years as HC at Miami of Ohio into the head coaching role at Marquette. Duffy likes to play an upbeat style of ball. She's young, driven and meticulous and considers MM a mentor, (as well as Kim Barnes Arico, whom she worked for at St. John's and Michigan.
So, there are some excellent choices.

Please note I have not gone outside of the ND WBB team family. I can't see that happening, at least in this initial succession.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lot of layers on that onion, whew.

I would hope and think that AD Jack Swarbrick, other key sports administration members and, yes, ND President Fr. Jenkins recognize how visible and important the women's basketball program is to Notre Dame for a variety of reasons. As such, I think they'll take into account a number of factors, but the key one is to keep this program where MM got it to. No cha-cha's (step backs to go forward).

That said, a minor point on one of your questions:
- ND actually has two experienced head coaches as assistants:
-- Beth Morgan Cunningham had a very solid run at VCU, including appearances in the NIT and NCAA tournaments before coming back to ND.
-- Carol Owens was not quite as successful at her alma mater, Northern Illinois, but might've been in a tougher situation.

However, the assistant most fans have in mind is Niele Ivey, the one who has not had HC experience, yet is the magnetic recruiting coordinator who also has coached the point guards and draws up some pretty mean game plans (as the others do, too). ( Most fans are aware of Niele's deep ties to ND and loyalty to MM, as they're also aware that she raised her son, Jaden, on/in the shadows of the Golden Dome.) She certainly checks the boxes in many categories and would probably be a great public face for the university.

But being a very successful HC is more than being the sum of the parts....does that person have what it take to do all that and add her/his mark?

Personally, I would like Niele to have some HC experience and with her son moving to Purdue, perhaps now/next spring might be the time to consider appropriate opportunities.

But if that does not come, the university would be able to compare what Niele brings to the table compared to the other ND assistants (Morgan Cunningham, Owens) and look at other members of the ND coaching tree, the most notable of which is Morgan Duffy, the former ND point guard (under MM and Neile) who parlayed two good years at Miami of Ohio into the HC role at Marquette. Likes to play upbeat. Young, Driven.

There are some excellent choices.

Note I have not gone outside of the ND Bball team family. I can't see that happening.
You mean Megan Duffy :)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I am curious, given MM has a significantly stronger coaching tree than Geno, are there any others besides those sitting on the current bench that would be considered? Isn’t Mr. Montgomery a MM disciple, for example?

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Not what I want to hear.

From Cal Swish Twitter. Russ Davis is the coach of Vanguard and Cal Swish(Lou's club team) Russ is also a good friend of Geno,

Reaction Score
I am curious, given MM has a significantly stronger coaching tree than Geno, are there any others besides those sitting on the current bench that would be considered? Isn’t Mr. Montgomery a MM disciple, for example?
I think Megan Duffy would really be considered. I think Niele or Megan would get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom