NON-Uconn WCBB News | Page 25 | The Boneyard

NON-Uconn WCBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Moved it over here :cool:

For the 2019-20... with a (hopefully)healthy Lambert I think we can be a top 25 team and a NCAA tourney participant. For good or for the bad... our starting lineup returns intact. I dont even want to think about 2020-21 yet :oops:
Lambert doesn't get a medical exception? I had forgotten about her because she didn't play for two seasons with the knee injuries. But she's only played 2 seasons, right? Lambert was originally a way too early Texas A&M commit before changing her mind. This should be a homecoming for her and a bunch of other Texans at Duke. I think Kyra had a sibling graduate from A&M.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Lambert doesn't get a medical exception? I had forgotten about her because she didn't play for two seasons with the knee injuries. But she's only played 2 seasons, right? Lambert was originally a way too early Texas A&M commit before changing her mind. This should be a homecoming for her and a bunch of other Texans at Duke. I think Kyra had a sibling graduate from A&M.

Well she graduated in May with a degree in Cultural Anthropology and Environmental Science with a Minor in Psychology and a certificate in markets and management. She'll be in the Fuqua School getting her MMS..... but that just a one year program. She has two years of eligibility remaining... though Im not counting on her to remain for a 6th season.

Yes... Duke recruits Texas pretty good..... recruits it better than NC

Reaction Score
I think McCallie has no doubt underachieved at Duke given the amount of talent she's had as well as where the program was prior to her arrival, but when I read some of the players who have come through Durham I wonder if she's had a year where one or more of her projected starters hasn't missed most or all of the season due to a significant injury. All programs have them yet the Blue Devils seem to have more than their share.

I live in NC for a few years and was in Greensboro watching on TV when Duke stunned the LVs in 1999. Between that year and when I moved to Atlanta I would make maybe one trip to Durham each year to watch the Blue Devils and was disappointed the university didn't try to keep Goestenkoers around.

The situation is very similar to me to UT except Duke didn't have the same level of tradition or longevity. It makes me wonder about their commitment to women's basketball. Stanford, Baylor, ND and Duke are all incredible schools academically and I think Duke would be an appealing place for top flight players who are also strong students.

Reaction Score
...The situation is very similar to me to UT except Duke didn't have the same level of tradition or longevity. It makes me wonder about their commitment to women's basketball. Stanford, Baylor, ND and Duke are all incredible schools academically and I think Duke would be an appealing place for top flight players who are also strong students.
Nothing against Baylor personally, but this university (no. 78) is not in the same academic league as Stanford (no. 7), Duke (no. 8) or even Notre Dame (no. 18) according to US News.

Reaction Score
Nothing against Baylor personally, but this university (no. 78) is not in the same academic league as Stanford (no. 7), Duke (no. 8) or even Notre Dame (no. 18) according to US News.
Sometimes people think Baylor is better than it is because the Baylor College of Medicine is a world-class institution. However, Baylor Univ and Baylor College of Medicine are not connected administratively at all. The Med School and the University separated in the 1960s when the University balked at the Civil Rights Act requirements for taking federal money. That was a non-starter for the med school where a huge part of the budget is NIH grants. The Baylor College of Dentistry is actually part of the Texas A&M System.

Baylor has put a lot of effort into improving their academics and it's been moving up but it's still not in the same league as Stanford, Duke, or ND. Even within Texas, they're way below Rice among private academically oriented schools. SMU, Texas, and A&M are ranked above Baylor, and we regard it as an embarrassment and that Baylor caught us for a while. Sadly, the flagships in Texas (Texas and A&M) underachieve academically vs their potential, which IMO is a consequence of the system where the legislature rubber stamps the governor appointing his or her friends to the boards of regents. Almost the entire Univ of California system is ahead of us, along with most of the Big 10.

Reaction Score

I'm shocked Baylor is even as high as #78.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Raoul just posted this on UCF. Coach Abe dipping deep into the transfer bucket:

"WBB: The 2019-20 roster for UCF (AAC) includes Miami (FL) transfer Becca Ripley, Villanova grad transfer Grace Stant, and three juco transfers: Georgia Gayle, Courtajia Sanders, and Jnaya Walker (originally at Illinois)"

Reaction Score

I suspect the only way the LVs will be taking flight is when they go on this plane. :)

Plebe

Reaction Score
Ohio State announces its nonconference schedule:

Opponents in last year's Massey top 50:
Nov. 17 vs. Ohio (48)
Nov. 24 vs. UConn (3)
Nov. 29 vs. South Dakota (46) (at Las Vegas)
Dec. 5 vs. Louisville (6)
Dec. 15 @ Stanford (7)

Other opponents of note: @ Cincinnati (65), vs. Kent State (90), vs. Northern Iowa (104), vs. Radford (116).

Plebe

Reaction Score

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Oh crap, the season is several months off and we're already starting another round of ACL injuries?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Was thinking of making a thread of non-conference schedules... but Im too lazy. Anyway... here is UNC.cheat's non conference slate. Weaker than hamster urine in my opinion. But isnt that always the case. I really should wait til Duke's schedule is posted before I talk junk about the Tar hell's... but what fun would that be.

Cheaters in Baby Blue Schedule

Highlights.... games in Cancun vs Temple and Mizzou.... a road trip to SEC Power Alabama. They play Western Carolina.... and North Carolina Central.... guess they were too scared to play East Carolina :rolleyes: (my pirates... for one more day) They do welcome Elon and Tar Heel Legend Charlotte Smith to town. Hope HuskyNan's Phoenix put 120 on the scoreboard :mad:

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The real UT's schedule

Texas Ribeye's Schedule

Interesting games..... Home vs Arizona, @ Tenn Home vs Stanford..... vs NC State in Hawaii..... and perhaps a sneaky good game vs Ohio. First game after the exam break.. vs a MAC team that won 30 games last season.

Reaction Score
D_2DE4TWwAElYCU.jpg

Oh my, she sure does get around.

Reaction Score
Oregon State posted their 2019-2020 roster today and it just got even taller!
2019-20 Women's Basketball Roster - Oregon State University Athletics

Freshman Taylor Jones is now listed as 6'4" (was 6'3" in high school) and has an alleged wingspan of
7'2", which means, at least in some ways, she plays like a person who is 6'8" to 6'9"!

So, the Beavers roster now includes players who are 6'2", 6'3", 6'4", 6'6", 6'7", 6'9", and 6'9". Don't know how
many will actually see court time however...Andrea Aquino might be redshirted for a second year, pending further information on her undisclosed heart condition.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Freshman Taylor Jones is now listed as 6'4" (was 6'3" in high school) and has an alleged wingspan of
7'2", which means, at least in some ways, she plays like a person who is 6'8" to 6'9"!

So, the Beavers roster now includes players who are 6'2", 6'3", 6'4", 6'6", 6'7", 6'9", and 6'9". Don't know how
many will actually see court time however...Andrea Aquino might be redshirted for a second year, pending further information on her undisclosed heart condition.

No problem getting the jammed balls off the basket.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score

We should know more about Andrea Acquino during/after the Beavers summer games in Italy.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Keep Russ Davis/Vanguard and Cal Swish, in your thoughts as he recovers from Throat Cancer. He is in a Rehab -Nursing facility for 2-3 weeks and a long road to go after that. He was Lou's club coach and also Lauren Engeln's too. Wednesday is the 10 year anniversary of Cal Swish winning Nike National Championship, when it was in South Carolina and the end of AAU season final tournament. Lou's older sister Bonnie and Engeln were both on that team. In the earlier rounds of that tournament the Swish team easily beat Tennessee Flight which Stef and KML on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom