No Syracuse schadenfreude? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

No Syracuse schadenfreude?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don’t think you understand the context….
Sure, if you set an arbitrary date that only includes one of our national championships, then we’ve only had one national championship within that period. I don’t find it particularly convincing, but I understand it.

Reaction Score
Sure, if you set an arbitrary date that only includes one of our national championships, then we’ve only had one national championship within that period. I don’t find it particularly convincing, but I understand it.
In the past 2 years, we’ve had more tournament appearances than Duke and Kentucky. Thereby were better than them.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Black And White Reaction GIF

Here's the thing. I'm 45. I started watching UConn in 1988 or so. As far as I'm concerned, we've always been better than them.

Reaction Score
I didn’t set the “arbitrary date”. I was replying to a thread which stated that “since our last title we’ve been ranked in the Kenpom 25 and Syracuse hasn’t therefore we’ve had more success than them.” Which even as Syracuse haters we can admit is a fallacy.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I didn’t set the “arbitrary date”. I was replying to a thread which stated that “since our last title we’ve been ranked in the Kenpom 25 and Syracuse hasn’t therefore we’ve had more success than them.” Which even as Syracuse haters we can admit is a fallacy.
What thread? This thread? This was the first post in this thread:
Based on what I observed in chat, I was sure there’d be a thread on this. After taking a peek at their board, I’m overwhelmed with gratitude for the state of our program. This may be sacrilege, but I kinda feel bad for their fan base. What an unmitigated mess.
It was talking about the meltdown on the Syracuse fan forum given their miserable season and their overall discontent with their teams over population of Beoheims.

Reaction Score
I think the job is good still at Syracuse, but there is also good reason to question if Jim is tarnishing the brand over these past few years.

Calhoun left here winning 73% of his games in his last 9 years here.

In the last 9 years at Syracuse, since them joining the ACC, JB has won less than 62% of their games.

I think the argument about relevancy and such over the past few years is one element, but there’s also argument to be had as to the state in which your legend coach leaves the program.

Reaction Score
Not from me. I graduated from UConn in 93. Back in the earlier 90s, (until 1996) all I'd hear from friends from ACC schools is that the Big East was a mid-major conference, that the WAC was a better conference, etc.

Why? Because the BE kept choking in the NCAA tourney (see Syracuse vs Richmond, or UConn vs Florida). No F4 team since 1989, etc. The only teams in the BE that consistently had a chance at making tourney runs from 1990-1995 were us and Cuse. Then Cuse mad the F4 in 96, and UConn won it all in 99. The ONLY 2 teams to represent the BE in the 90s. Bottom line is I spent too much time cheering Cuse in the tourney (for the sake of the BE) to hate on them.

Personally I'd like to play them once a year. Traditionally worthy rivals. If they become a bottom feeders what's the point of hating on them? Sadly Boeheim reminds me of Chaney at Temple, and Knight at Indiana. Great coaches that were the face of their programs that lost their touch at the end. Specifically, the recruiting touch. It's hard to have a great team if you don't have the horses.

Reaction Score
Five pages now. Wow.

Sometimes when you're walking along on a cold winter night, and you come across a dumpster fire, you just enjoy the heat, and the light. You rub your cold hands by the fire, and just experience the moment. No thought, no analysis necessary. It's just about as perfect as things can get in an imperfect world.

Reaction Score
@LwrcasefaN should go to the Syracuse board and let them all know that the school made the right choice because it’s in a much better financial situation because they are in the ACC. They will probably all feel better at that point and be glad they aren’t in the top 25.

Reaction Score
@LwrcasefaN should go to the Syracuse board and let them all know that the school made the right choice because it’s in a much better financial situation because they are in the ACC. They will probably all feel better at that point and be glad they aren’t in the top 25.
And maybe you should act as if you've been in the top 25 before. I'm not here to make you feel better or anyone else. If you want to talk basketball, the game...all of it, like an ADULT just let me know. You folks do a lot of yapping, but you get all upset when confronted with facts and opposing views. I find echo chambers to be of no use.

Reaction Score
And maybe you should act as if you've been in the top 25 before. I'm not here to make you feel better or anyone else. If you want to talk basketball, the game...all of it, like an ADULT just let me know. You folks do a lot of yapping, but you get all upset when confronted with facts and opposing views. I find echo chambers to be of no use.
But you don’t want to talk basketball. This whole thread you keep bringing up the bottom line of the athletic departments nothing about on the court. Your just so proud of Syracuse for getting a big paycheck and how smart they are for joining s league that has slowly taken away their prominent place in college basketball. As a fan I would not want to trade wins and relevance for a payday.

Reaction Score
But you don’t want to talk basketball. This whole thread you keep bringing up the bottom line of the athletic departments nothing about on the court. Your just so proud of Syracuse for getting a big paycheck and how smart they are for joining s league that has slowly taken away their prominent place in college basketball. As a fan I would not want to trade wins and relevance for a payday.
No...you don't think it relates to basketball and basketball decisions. If you want to complain about other schools, not just Syracuse and their decision to leave the BE, then why wouldn't the topic of revenue come up? It's not a trick question. It's shallow to think that the decision was made because of what fans wanted. Basketball, and any revenue sport, does not exist in a vacuum. If you want to believe that because it's as far as you would like to take the discussion. cool, but don't act as if it has nothing to do with basketball. Fans don't make these decisions. Administrators do and their job is not to be a fan. And their allegiance isn't to another school or a conference. It's just really hypocritical to go on tired rants about a school seeking what's best for them, even if it's money when UCONN would have done the same ...if the opportunity presented itself. Now, if you or anyone else is offended by this reality....move on. Syracuse has one national title, under the same coach, in the past 45 years. Don't get me wrong, it's been a joy to watch, but my idea of prominent and yours are different. UCONN and Tennessee wbb is prominent by my standards. I enjoy basketball, but it's in the end...entertainment. And like any other form of entertainment, what you see on the court...is a marketing illusion...aka part of a business. If the sport was anything more than a revenue stream...they would have moved on from Boeheim. But they haven't because...they are satisfied with him winning ENOUGH games so that it is an asset and not a liability. Why is it okay for folks to talk about the evil ESPN and conference realigning in every other thread, but it's somehow taboo when it comes to finances and how it impacts operational decisions and outcomes?

Reaction Score
No...you don't think it relates to basketball and basketball decisions. If you want to complain about other schools, not just Syracuse and their decision to leave the BE, then why wouldn't the topic of revenue come up? It's not a trick question. It's shallow to think that the decision was made because of what fans wanted. Basketball, and any revenue sport, does not exist in a vacuum. If you want to believe that because it's as far as you would like to take the discussion. cool, but don't act as if it has nothing to do with basketball. Fans don't make these decisions. Administrators do and their job is not to be a fan. And their allegiance isn't to another school or a conference. It's just really hypocritical to go on tired rants about a school seeking what's best for them, even if it's money when UCONN would have done the same ...if the opportunity presented itself. Now, if you or anyone else is offended by this reality....move on. Syracuse has one national title, under the same coach, in the past 45 years. Don't get me wrong, it's been a joy to watch, but my idea of prominent and yours are different. UCONN and Tennessee wbb is prominent by my standards. I enjoy basketball, but it's in the end...entertainment. And like any other form of entertainment, what you see on the court...is a marketing illusion...aka part of a business. If the sport was anything more than a revenue stream...they would have moved on from Boeheim. But they haven't because...they are satisfied with him winning ENOUGH games so that it is an asset and not a liability. Why is it okay for folks to talk about the evil ESPN and conference realigning in every other thread, but it's somehow taboo when it comes to finances and how it impacts operational decisions and outcomes?
I really think Waquoit has it right. You're just a bore

Reaction Score
I really think Waquoit has it right. You're just a bore
Don't you have a tiktok video you can go watch? You know...something shiny? If you want to talk "on court" basketball....here's a suggestion. Go find one that starts out....talking about... on-court basketball.

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
Someday, I think (hope) that cartel will realize they can squeeze a few more drops of blood out of college athletics by removing whatever stupid rule says that a school needs to be in the same conference for football and basketball (or football and anything really). Eventually non football sports will re-organize into conferences that make sense geographically and rivalry-wise because everyone is going to make more money from the city parking authority, to the AD, to the TV people when your basketball rivalries and women's rowing travel budget aren't impacted by a sport that plays 10 times a year with the same 6 teams in the hunt for a championship in year in and year out.

Anyway, I just checked Kenpom and Syracuse is the 2nd best team in the country (if you consider sub .500 teams only) so they have that going for them.

Long Live Jim Boeheim, may he coach for another 40 years.

Reaction Score
Don't you have a tiktok video you can go watch? You know...something shiny? If you want to talk "on court" basketball....here's a suggestion. Go find one that starts out....talking about... on-court basketball.
What is a tik-tok?

Reaction Score
Syracuse board is wonderful right now. Fans wishing they were still in the Big East, begging Ed Cooley to be their coach, wishing Boeheim's sons could guard a chair, and wishing their Hall of Fame coach would just disappear.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom