No Syracuse schadenfreude? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

No Syracuse schadenfreude?

Reaction Score
Ah, so just a casual fan.
Yes. We exist. BC fans have said many of these same things about UCONN and I defended UCONN. I have had many exchanges with them about UCONN (who just swept them) not being good enough for Hockey East, the lawsuits, and all that other crazy nonsense. I look at UCONN wbb and they have had to endure the same conference changes as the men. The same with BC and Syracuse. So...success or failure can't all be this heavily tied to just conferences. If these schools truly missed the rivalries and saw value in the games...they should just schedule out of conference.

Reaction Score
Getting into the ACC is great, but the point is to win.

Getting into the ACC would only help our ability to win as that conference would give us more money to pay and keep Hurley. There is no such thing "Big East Magic" and there is no "curse of Dave Gavitt", there is only good coaching and bad coaching.

We would do very well in the ACC as long as we had Hurley. If Hurley chose to go to Pitt 4 years ago they would be winning and we would be struggling unless we found an equal coaching alternative.

The only team that has done anything of historical note in the current incarnation of the Big East is Nova and that success is due to their Hall of Fame coach.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like winning as much as anyone, but as a CT taxpayer, it would be nice if it came at a cheaper expense. I'm certain those who pay the tuition would agree with this. We all know...this whole conference thing is about revenue. I can't argue with any school's decision to secure its financial future...because as much as I like sports, the priority has to be securing the financial integrity of an educational institution. Both can be achieved.
As a Ct taxpayer, you should realize that by your legislators giving a huge tax break to ESPN, the tax payers of Ct are essentially paying the ACC. The same taxpayers cry about UConn's budget, but don't realize how much money is being siphoned away by ESPN.

Reaction Score
I hate Syracuse as much as the next guy, but when Boeheim retires (hopefully in 84 years), and they hire the right coach, I think they will be fine. The only thing that gives me pause is that no school that's upgraded conferences over the past 20 years has had any real success.

Reaction Score
As a Ct taxpayer, you should realize that by your legislators giving a huge tax break to ESPN, the tax payers of Ct are essentially paying the ACC. The same taxpayers cry about UConn's budget, but don't realize how much money is being siphoned away by ESPN.
So...you're saying you understand why Syracuse and other BE teams...chose the ACC. It was a wiser long-term solution versus clinging to sentimental rivalries or concerns about being beaten up in another conference. I think schools have to be creative and loyal to themselves...FIRST. Notre Dame trumpeted the rewards of being independent, BUT as soon as they saw the books...SOME of their teams joined the ACC. CT is a public school as opposed to some of the others. Certainly, that has to be taken into consideration when they are planning and making moves. Probably a handicap...and rightfully so. I mean...you're answering to a slightly different audience and I don't know about anyone else, but I'm very cognizant that the highest-paid state employees are basketball coaches!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Answer:

Nomar
WhereistheDove
palatine

That guy who thinks he is a CIA agent
FriarJ
Tcf15
Husky429
RichZ
Tom Emery (hell he runs a board for them!)
William Shea
Dove
Jibsey
IceBear
HuskyNan
Huh? Why am I on the list?

I don’t even like the Syracuse women. One of the players tripped Geno in the handshake lime and another insulted Maya Moore (who proceeded to score 40 points on them). And then there’s Quentin Hillsman…

Reaction Score
LOL, so this thread made me go over to their board… “It’s gold Jerry pure gold!”

View attachment 72720 View attachment 72721
Ah, they've reached the stage of grief where you aren't even mad, you just feel empty inside. There is no worse feeling as a die-hard sports fan after a loss than just feeling nothingness because you know your team is beyond irrelevant.

Thank God those days for us are over. And for the Cuse fans who relished in it when it happened to us, I am thoroughly enjoying your pathetic program sink deeper and deeper.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes. We exist. BC fans have said many of these same things about UCONN and I defended UCONN. I have had many exchanges with them about UCONN (who just swept them) not being good enough for Hockey East, the lawsuits, and all that other crazy nonsense. I look at UCONN wbb and they have had to endure the same conference changes as the men. The same with BC and Syracuse. So...success or failure can't all be this heavily tied to just conferences. If these schools truly missed the rivalries and saw value in the games...they should just schedule out of conference.
I get it, if I was a Syracuse fan I might be much more focused on finances than athletics. I probably look forward to the annual release of financial statements.

As a Connecticut fan, however, I’m more interested athletics. I’m really looking forward to the Big East tournament this year. Madison Square Garden is a great place to see a game, and this year especially the energy should be terrific.

CL82

Reaction Score

I don’t even like the Syracuse women. One of the players tripped Geno in the handshake lime and another insulted Maya Moore (who proceeded to score 40 points on them). And then there’s Quentin Hillsman…

I’m guessing because he didn’t think you’d read the thread.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

You make a solid case. We will take it to committee for your removal.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Gee whiz, thanks.

Hmm, maybe I’ll start a “Duke Lovers” thread on the women’s board.
I hope I’m on the top of that list. K is a genius.

Reaction Score
I said this on another thread but it seems like it belongs here. Syracuse have become the new Washington Generals,. The ACC pays them good money so they can beat Syracuse up.

Reaction Score
So...you're saying you understand why Syracuse and other BE teams...chose the ACC. It was a wiser long-term solution versus clinging to sentimental rivalries or concerns about being beaten up in another conference. I think schools have to be creative and loyal to themselves...FIRST. Notre Dame trumpeted the rewards of being independent, BUT as soon as they saw the books...SOME of their teams joined the ACC. CT is a public school as opposed to some of the others. Certainly, that has to be taken into consideration when they are planning and making moves. Probably a handicap...and rightfully so. I mean...you're answering to a slightly different audience and I don't know about anyone else, but I'm very cognizant that the highest-paid state employees are basketball coaches!
Who cares?

Reaction Score
....We won a championship the year they were last in the top 25. I think we fared better.
I’m certainly no Syracuse fan. I can’t stand them as much as most on this board… but to insinuate we’ve done better than them the past 6-7 years is ludicrous because we won a title 8 years ago and have been ranked in Kenpom 25. They’ve won 8 ncaa tournament games since we last won the title. We’ve won 1.

Reaction Score
That’s what happens when a program turns into a cult of a personality who has stayed 5 years too long. Who believes he is the program.
Cuse will be fine if they make the right hire.
He has done damage but it’s not irreversible. Cuse is a great job.
It’s an Ego thing successful people sometimes feel irreplaceable.
My mother who was forced to quit school to go to work at 14.
Had this old Italian saying to keep her well educated kids grounded and falling into that trap.
“quando muore un Papa lo sostituiscono con un altro”
It literally means “When one Pope dies they replace him with another“ We’re all replaceable.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I hate Syracuse as much as the next guy, but when Boeheim retires (hopefully in 84 years), and they hire the right coach, I think they will be fine.
That "hiring the right coach" part isn't a given.

CL82

Reaction Score
I’m certainly no Syracuse fan. I can’t stand them as much as most on this board… but to insinuate we’ve done better than them the past 6-7 years is ludicrous because we won a title 8 years ago and have been ranked in Kenpom 25. They’ve won 8 ncaa tournament games since we last won the title. We’ve won 1.
Yawn… The math is clear here:

4>1*

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom