No Syracuse schadenfreude? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

No Syracuse schadenfreude?

Reaction Score
No...you don't think it relates to basketball and basketball decisions. If you want to complain about other schools, not just Syracuse and their decision to leave the BE, then why wouldn't the topic of revenue come up? It's not a trick question. It's shallow to think that the decision was made because of what fans wanted. Basketball, and any revenue sport, does not exist in a vacuum. If you want to believe that because it's as far as you would like to take the discussion. cool, but don't act as if it has nothing to do with basketball. Fans don't make these decisions. Administrators do and their job is not to be a fan. And their allegiance isn't to another school or a conference. It's just really hypocritical to go on tired rants about a school seeking what's best for them, even if it's money when UCONN would have done the same ...if the opportunity presented itself. Now, if you or anyone else is offended by this reality....move on. Syracuse has one national title, under the same coach, in the past 45 years. Don't get me wrong, it's been a joy to watch, but my idea of prominent and yours are different. UCONN and Tennessee wbb is prominent by my standards. I enjoy basketball, but it's in the end...entertainment. And like any other form of entertainment, what you see on the court...is a marketing illusion...aka part of a business. If the sport was anything more than a revenue stream...they would have moved on from Boeheim. But they haven't because...they are satisfied with him winning ENOUGH games so that it is an asset and not a liability. Why is it okay for folks to talk about the evil ESPN and conference realigning in every other thread, but it's somehow taboo when it comes to finances and how it impacts operational decisions and outcomes?
To quote Rush guitarist, Alex Lifeson…"Blah Blah Blah". It must be depressing to be you.

Reaction Score
And maybe you should act as if you've been in the top 25 before. I'm not here to make you feel better or anyone else. If you want to talk basketball, the game...all of it, like an ADULT just let me know. You folks do a lot of yapping, but you get all upset when confronted with facts and opposing views. I find echo chambers to be of no use.
Then start talking Basketball and leave the Financial Analysis out of it.

Reaction Score
Then start talking Basketball and leave the Financial Analysis out of it.
UM...you can read, correct? Was this chat about on-court basketball? CHECK the initial post. Maybe if you spent less time trying to be a shock jock...you would have realized that.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Syracuse board is wonderful right now. Fans wishing they were still in the Big East, begging Ed Cooley to be their coach, wishing Boeheim's sons could guard a chair, and wishing their Hall of Fame coach would just disappear.

you-hate-to-see-it.gif

Reaction Score
UM...you can read, correct? Was this chat about on-court basketball? CHECK the initial post. Maybe if you spent less time trying to be a shock jock...you would have realized that.
I checked the initial post:

"Based on what I observed in chat, I was sure there’d be a thread on this. After taking a peek at their board, I’m overwhelmed with gratitude for the state of our program. This may be sacrilege, but I kinda feel bad for their fan base. What an unmitigated mess."

Maybe I'm wrong but this reads much more about their disappointment with on-court success than the financials of their program?

Reaction Score
I checked the initial post:

"Based on what I observed in chat, I was sure there’d be a thread on this. After taking a peek at their board, I’m overwhelmed with gratitude for the state of our program. This may be sacrilege, but I kinda feel bad for their fan base. What an unmitigated mess."

Maybe I'm wrong but this reads much more about their disappointment with on-court success than the financials of their program?
State of the program as in if they didn't switch conferences they would be...winning. I addressed why they switched. I also addressed why...you didn't. Someone's feelings being hurt or disappointed is nowhere the mess of being 40 million in the hole. I think I hurt more feelings by just stating that reality. BUT, by all means...keep winning.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't sit back and reminisce on the time my school earned $72 million in revenue for the fiscal year. I want my team to win. I wouldn't trade a good season capped off by a deep NCAA run for a big check. Never understood that train of thought.
It reeks of desperation, doesn’t it?

Reaction Score
State of the program as in if they didn't switch conferences they would be...winning. I addressed why they switched. I also addressed why...you didn't. Someone's feelings being hurt or disappointed is nowhere the mess of being 40 million in the hole. I think I hurt more feelings by just stating that reality. BUT, by all means...keep winning.
Why on earth would that original post be about losing because of switching conference? The state of the program is the Boeheim problem.

Reaction Score
Why on earth would that original post be about losing because of switching conference? The state of the program is the Boeheim problem.
Keep reading. I didn't create all the reasons. Just responded to them. And I agree...it has nothing to do with switching conferences and it is Boeheim. I don't think anyone other than some diehard fanatic is too upset about Syracuse's circumstance or any other former BE team. I'm shocked that anyone feels sorry for anyone's fanbase. Don't you hate them?! Whether it's BC, UCONN or Syracuse I honestly don't get why they boast about their athletics as if they were the UCLA Bruins, Boston Celtics, Chicago Bulls or any other sports dynasty. It's entertaining, something to have a few beers over, but...history-wise, athletic wise...none of them have anything over the other.

Reaction Score
Keep reading. I didn't create all the reasons. Just responded to them. And I agree...it has nothing to do with switching conferences and it is Boeheim. I don't think anyone other than some diehard fanatic is too upset about Syracuse's circumstance or any other former BE team. I'm shocked that anyone feels sorry for anyone's fanbase. Don't you hate them?! Whether it's BC, UCONN or Syracuse I honestly don't get why they boast about their athletics as if they were the UCLA Bruins, Boston Celtics, Chicago Bulls or any other sports dynasty. It's entertaining, something to have a few beers over, but...history-wise, athletic wise...none of them have anything over the other.
Oh so now it's some other posts, not the initial post like you said? You're a treat.

Reaction Score
Half the fun of all this is comparing program success, especially in college athletics. And you think BC is on the same tier as Cuse and UConn? And you think Cuse is on the same tier as UConn? Pull any objective ranking of programs, UConn is above both.

Reaction Score
Half the fun of all this is comparing program success, especially in college athletics. And you think BC is on the same tier as Cuse and UConn? And you think Cuse is on the same tier as UConn? Pull any objective ranking of programs, UConn is above both.
Naw...you pull them. Comparing is fine. And concluding that UCONN is "above both" is cool too, but take it in stride if people disagree. Denying what you discover is something else. I think they're all average for the most part. It's not that serious. While you're at it, create another ranking system. That's exciting. When I was at Syracuse, my impression was a handful of people who went to the games were fanatics (probably those imploding on websites), the rest were elderly people taking a Wednesday or Saturday break...and the majority were people looking for a reason to party...whether the football team lost or not. All these schools have been occasionally dominant in some sports for short stretches, but that's it. lol I just don't get how folks can go from praying they win 6 games so they can go to an irrelevant bowl to fanaticism! As far as my recollection... UCONN wbb is the only dynasty between the three of them.

Reaction Score
Naw...you pull them. Comparing is fine. And concluding that UCONN is "above both" is cool too, but take it in stride if people disagree. Denying what you discover is something else. I think they're all average for the most part. It's not that serious. While you're at it, create another ranking system. That's exciting. When I was at Syracuse, my impression was a handful of people who went to the games were fanatics (probably those imploding on websites), the rest were elderly people taking a Wednesday or Saturday break...and the majority were people looking for a reason to party...whether the football team lost or not. All these schools have been occasionally dominant in some sports for short stretches, but that's it. lol I just don't get how folks can go from praying they win 6 games so they can go to an irrelevant bowl to fanaticism! As far as my recollection... UCONN wbb is the only dynasty between the three of them.

"I'm above all of this."

There, dude, I saved you about 30 more posts.

Why in the world would someone like you be on a sports message board in the first place if the whole idea is so silly to you?

Reaction Score
"I'm above all of this."

There, dude, I saved you about 30 more posts.

Why in the world would someone like you be on a sports message board in the first place if the whole idea is so silly to you?
I didn't say sports was silly. I said it was entertaining and profitable. What's silly is some of the extremism...from all these schools. lol

Reaction Score
Vine Ok GIF

Reaction Score
I completely understand their misery and it's delicious. They hate the Boeheims because they're losing. They hate the Hurleys because UCONN is winning. Despite CR, UCONN and SU are on opposite trajectories than they predicted. Basketball is ranked. Football is in the news every day. Winning.

Reaction Score
Not from me. I graduated from UConn in 93. Back in the earlier 90s, (until 1996) all I'd hear from friends from ACC schools is that the Big East was a mid-major conference, that the WAC was a better conference, etc.

Why? Because the BE kept choking in the NCAA tourney (see Syracuse vs Richmond, or UConn vs Florida). No F4 team since 1989, etc. The only teams in the BE that consistently had a chance at making tourney runs from 1990-1995 were us and Cuse. Then Cuse mad the F4 in 96, and UConn won it all in 99. The ONLY 2 teams to represent the BE in the 90s. Bottom line is I spent too much time cheering Cuse in the tourney (for the sake of the BE) to hate on them.

Personally I'd like to play them once a year. Traditionally worthy rivals. If they become a bottom feeders what's the point of hating on them? Sadly Boeheim reminds me of Chaney at Temple, and Knight at Indiana. Great coaches that were the face of their programs that lost their touch at the end. Specifically, the recruiting touch. It's hard to have a great team if you don't have the horses.
The History of the UConn v Cuse is memorable
Old timers will remember Tony Hanson putting UConn on his back with a bucket ever time they scored to stop a long home unbeaten streak at the old Manly field house. Games like that got us into the Big East.
In the Big East itself
The games were always Cuse and Georgetown
You could say our real entry into The Big time Basketball World were our wins in Hartford in 1990 followed by back to back wins at the Garden to win our first Big East Tournament. I think that’s our first year ever in the top 10.
We had a few memorable loses like the six OT game . considered by many ( not me) among the best college games ever.
2013 In that bleak era of uncertainty when everyone abandoned us and we were declared irrelevant. A highly ranked Syracuse team with the National cameras of an ESPN game day came to town. Despite given zero chance to win and trailing at the half we sent them home losers. The RB immortal quote ,a statement announcing we are not dead he was asked his thoughts on Syracuse leaving the Big East. He said” They’re leaving with a bad taste of UConn in their mouth”
Even in our OOC game in 2016 in MSG when a little known freshman named Vital stepped to the line and made two FT to ice the win it was heart warming.
Cuse is modern times is “the” rival.
The rivalry is enhanced when both teams are good. It’s much easier to hate a good team than a bad one. I want to continue to hate them with the few years I have left.
I also want to play them every year at a sold out MSG with something beside bragging rights at stake.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom