No Syracuse schadenfreude? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

No Syracuse schadenfreude?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Someone's feelings being hurt or disappointed is nowhere the mess of being 40 million in the hole.
Well it would appear to be just yours since you’re the only one obsessing about it.

Reaction Score
The History of the UConn v Cuse is memorable
Old timers will remember Tony Hanson putting UConn on his back with a bucket ever time they scored to stop a long home unbeaten streak at the old Manly field house. Games like that got us into the Big East.
In the Big East itself
The games were always Cuse and Georgetown
You could say our real entry into The Big time Basketball World were our wins in Hartford in 1990 followed by back to back wins at the Garden to win our first Big East Tournament. I think that’s our first year ever in the top 10.
We had a few memorable loses like the six OT game . considered by many ( not me) among the best college games ever.
2013 In that bleak era of uncertainty when everyone abandoned us and we were declared irrelevant. A highly ranked Syracuse team with the National cameras of an ESPN game day came to town. Despite given zero chance to win and trailing at the half we sent them home losers. The RB immortal quote ,a statement announcing we are not dead he was asked his thoughts on Syracuse leaving the Big East. He said” They’re leaving with a bad taste of UConn in their mouth”
Even in our OOC game in 2016 in MSG when a little known freshman named Vital stepped to the line and made two FT to ice the win it was heart warming.
Cuse is modern times is “the” rival.
The rivalry is enhanced when both teams are good. It’s much easier to hate a good team than a bad one. I want to continue to hate them with the few years I have left.
I also want to play them every year at a sold out MSG with something beside bragging rights at stake.
Nothing wrong with good memories and bragging rights.

Reaction Score
And you accused me of not being able to read...welcome to the club.
You can't. I don't take issues with other people and facts and pride in their school within reason. Do you? Don't worry, you're well represented on other sites. There are crazy cuse fans, crazy BC fans. I'm not that kind. If SU sucks, I'm good. I still watch them. If UCONN sucks...I watch them too. The reality is...they're usually...good enough. I'm not imploding or depressed when I express my personal feelings that Boeheim should go. I just think after 45 years...that's enough! If these programs really cared about what the average fan thinks...they would just schedule one another. What's that all about?

Reaction Score
Board Suggestion:
There should be a side room that fighting/personal debating Boneyarders can go (voluntarily or kicking/screaming) to air their grievances.

Name ideas:
  • Let It Go Room
  • Nobody Cares Room
  • He/She Didn't Mean to Insult You Room
  • Internet Tough Guy/Girl Room
  • Stop Ruining the [Word That Won't Show Up With Filter]ing Thread Room
  • Festivus Room

Reaction Score
I'm done. BUT, just to be clear, those who bolted from the BE and destroyed everything are evil, because if the ACC invited UCONN...they wouldn't take the invite. For the record...they should have taken UCONN. Did I miss anything?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
That’s what happens when a program turns into a cult of a personality who has stayed 5 years too long. Who believes he is the program.
Cuse will be fine if they make the right hire.
He has done damage but it’s not irreversible. Cuse is a great job.
It’s an Ego thing successful people sometimes feel irreplaceable.
My mother who was forced to quit school to go to work at 14.
Had this old Italian saying to keep her well educated kids grounded and falling into that trap.
“quando muore un Papa lo sostituiscono con un altro”
It literally means “When one Pope dies they replace him with another“ We’re all replaceable.
I had a guy who'd quote Charles deGaulle saying, "The graveyards are filled with indispensable men."

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'm done. BUT, just to be clear, those who bolted from the BE and destroyed everything are evil, because if the ACC invited UCONN...they wouldn't take the invite. For the record...they should have taken UCONN. Did I miss anything?
Sustained decorum and proper proportion come first to mind.

So long as you haven't kicked up any tension between your kids as to who you love more, you should be OK.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I just wish LoweRcAseguy was around the cesspool to do live financial analysis on the kitchen in that Texas steak joint

Reaction Score
You can't. I don't take issues with other people and facts and pride in their school within reason. Do you? Don't worry, you're well represented on other sites. There are crazy cuse fans, crazy BC fans. I'm not that kind. If SU sucks, I'm good. I still watch them. If UCONN sucks...I watch them too. The reality is...they're usually...good enough. I'm not imploding or depressed when I express my personal feelings that Boeheim should go. I just think after 45 years...that's enough! If these programs really cared about what the average fan thinks...they would just schedule one another. What's that all about?
You lost all credibility when you said there are crazy BC fans. Really? Who are they? Can you count then on one hand?

CL82

Reaction Score
Board Suggestion:
There should be a side room that fighting/personal debating Boneyarders can go (voluntarily or kicking/screaming) to air their grievances.

Name ideas:
  • Let It Go Room
  • Nobody Cares Room
  • Festivus Room
Timeout room

Reaction Score
No...you don't think it relates to basketball and basketball decisions. If you want to complain about other schools, not just Syracuse and their decision to leave the BE, then why wouldn't the topic of revenue come up? It's not a trick question. It's shallow to think that the decision was made because of what fans wanted. Basketball, and any revenue sport, does not exist in a vacuum. If you want to believe that because it's as far as you would like to take the discussion. cool, but don't act as if it has nothing to do with basketball. Fans don't make these decisions. Administrators do and their job is not to be a fan. And their allegiance isn't to another school or a conference. It's just really hypocritical to go on tired rants about a school seeking what's best for them, even if it's money when UCONN would have done the same ...if the opportunity presented itself. Now, if you or anyone else is offended by this reality....move on. Syracuse has one national title, under the same coach, in the past 45 years. Don't get me wrong, it's been a joy to watch, but my idea of prominent and yours are different. UCONN and Tennessee wbb is prominent by my standards. I enjoy basketball, but it's in the end...entertainment. And like any other form of entertainment, what you see on the court...is a marketing illusion...aka part of a business. If the sport was anything more than a revenue stream...they would have moved on from Boeheim. But they haven't because...they are satisfied with him winning ENOUGH games so that it is an asset and not a liability. Why is it okay for folks to talk about the evil ESPN and conference realigning in every other thread, but it's somehow taboo when it comes to finances and how it impacts operational decisions and outcomes?
Schools like Syracuse and others looked at the better bottom line when leaving the conference but never looked at what being an outlier in a different conference would do for the health of their program. As we are seeing there were some unintended consequences in being the outlier. As a fan the health of the program is always more important than the health of the bottom line, your stance seems to be championing the bottom line as the real winner in all of this, I disagree.

Reaction Score
Schools like Syracuse and others looked at the better bottom line when leaving the conference but never looked at what being an outlier in a different conference would do for the health of their program. As we are seeing there were some unintended consequences in being the outlier. As a fan the health of the program is always more important than the health of the bottom line, your stance seems to be championing the bottom line as the real winner in all of this, I disagree.
The health of the program from my purview hasn't changed a whole lot. And this is my point with fans...facing what they feel versus what they see. Syracuse is bad this year. Another year, they may be competitive. Which of these BE dynasties doesn't recognize this pattern? In fact, this is the reality for most fan bases...regardless of the sport or conference.

In between the bad and good times...attendance may ebb and flow so from a business perspective, from the FCIO perch, from the primary objective of funding an institution....you need a plan. Like it or not, the conference model is an option. I look at it as payday insurance. And all conferences aren't created equal. The other option is going independent. The latter model requires you to actually be good and to sustain that level. The reality is that NONE of the aforementioned are that good for long enough stretches...and that was no difference even when they were all part of the Big East. Even Notre Dame figured that out with basketball..and joined a conference.

Yes...everyone enjoys the MSG tourneys, etc. I get that. I also missed my friends when we chose different colleges. SO what? I missed family that departed for different parts of the country...the world. So what? But Syracuse isn't bad in football because of their choice of a conference. Since the start of my affiliation...they never were that good with any consistency. Love em, but I accept that. SU basketball has had some very good teams, fun to watch, but how many national championships do they have? I know during my campus days, they broke a lot of attendance records, but that never lasted because...they aren't always good. Sound familiar?

How do you pay the bills? I know...fans don't care about that, right? and you're right, but someone has to care. That's different than...it doesn't matter! I remember each year that by the time I would return from Christmas break...SU would be undefeated, mostly having never left the state of NY. FANS were pumped!! THEN, the conference schedule would start and sometimes they kept the momentum and a lot of years...not so much. THAT has been the reality for decades. and it's been that way for all these...dynasties? Some folks will say they bleed blue, orange or whatever, fly the team flag, paint their faces and that's cool. Where are these folks when the team isn't winning?

UCONN is a state-run institution. It's a lot easier for them to snub their noses at 40 million deficits versus a private institution. If they were private...football would have been gone many moons ago. Unsustainable. I point this out because it makes a difference when considering finances...which matters when you are talking the health of a program...ALL your programs. I know...fans don't care about that.

The needs of a fan versus a school are not synonymous. It's an illusion that sells tickets and illicit donations. It felt awkward as fan when SU went to the ACC, but...I understood. It didn't alter the reality...that sometimes we're good...and sometimes we're not. And this applies to all these schools. I don't cheer because of the conference. It's the school....win or lose.

Reaction Score
The health of the program from my purview hasn't changed a whole lot. And this is my point with fans...facing what they feel versus what they see. Syracuse is bad this year. Another year, they may be competitive. Which of these BE dynasties doesn't recognize this pattern? In fact, this is the reality for most fan bases...regardless of the sport or conference.

In between the bad and good times...attendance may ebb and flow so from a business perspective, from the FCIO perch, from the primary objective of funding an institution....you need a plan. Like it or not, the conference model is an option. I look at it as payday insurance. And all conferences aren't created equal. The other option is going independent. The latter model requires you to actually be good and to sustain that level. The reality is that NONE of the aforementioned are that good for long enough stretches...and that was no difference even when they were all part of the Big East. Even Notre Dame figured that out with basketball..and joined a conference.

Yes...everyone enjoys the MSG tourneys, etc. I get that. I also missed my friends when we chose different colleges. SO what? I missed family that departed for different parts of the country...the world. So what? But Syracuse isn't bad in football because of their choice of a conference. Since the start of my affiliation...they never were that good with any consistency. Love em, but I accept that. SU basketball has had some very good teams, fun to watch, but how many national championships do they have? I know during my campus days, they broke a lot of attendance records, but that never lasted because...they aren't always good. Sound familiar?

How do you pay the bills? I know...fans don't care about that, right? and you're right, but someone has to care. That's different than...it doesn't matter! I remember each year that by the time I would return from Christmas break...SU would be undefeated, mostly having never left the state of NY. FANS were pumped!! THEN, the conference schedule would start and sometimes they kept the momentum and a lot of years...not so much. THAT has been the reality for decades. and it's been that way for all these...dynasties? Some folks will say they bleed blue, orange or whatever, fly the team flag, paint their faces and that's cool. Where are these folks when the team isn't winning?

UCONN is a state-run institution. It's a lot easier for them to snub their noses at 40 million deficits versus a private institution. If they were private...football would have been gone many moons ago. Unsustainable. I point this out because it makes a difference when considering finances...which matters when you are talking the health of a program...ALL your programs. I know...fans don't care about that.

The needs of a fan versus a school are not synonymous. It's an illusion that sells tickets and illicit donations. It felt awkward as fan when SU went to the ACC, but...I understood. It didn't alter the reality...that sometimes we're good...and sometimes we're not. And this applies to all these schools. I don't cheer because of the conference. It's the school....win or lose.
You told us you were done yet here you are with an even bigger word salad.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
They did make a final 4 in 2016 and then the sweet 16 in 2018 and last year. That counts way more than being in the regular season kenpom 25 imho. Certainly much better than us the past 6-7 years.
Tell their basketball fans that

Does anyone think Cuse is in a better place than us?

For those that follow hoops to see how much money their school is making, I'M TALKING ABOUT THE TEAMS THAT ACTUALLY PLAY BASKETBALL.

Have to take baby steps sometimes. Directed at no one in particular

:)

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
The best part of all this is that he has given up on the program being competitive in basketball. The fact that he’s on a former opponents fan board trying to victory lap the money is possibly one of the funniest/saddest things I’ve ever seen on The Boneyard. The lack of self awareness reminds me of the love potion thread.

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Board Suggestion:

Name ideas:
  • Let It Go Room
  • Nobody Cares Room
  • Festivus Room

Keep it simple

Time Out Corner. Even petulant children understand that one

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I knew that would be the case. He's so boring he takes all the oxygen out of the room even virtually.

Reaction Score
Tell their basketball fans that

Does anyone think Cuse is in a better place than us?

For those that follow hoops to see how much money their school is making, I'M TALKING ABOUT THE TEAMS THAT ACTUALLY PLAY BASKETBALL.

Have to take baby steps sometimes. Directed at no one in particular

:)
To be fair, it can be true that 'Cuse had a better run 2015-2021 and anyone in their right mind would rather be UConn than 'Cuse right now. I certainly would have preferred their tournament results over that time span.

Reaction Score
And yet...you still have nothing of substance to add. You could have at least answered...would you take an ACC invitation. Of course, you won't since...that would make you look ...well, silly and bitter.

Reaction Score
To be fair, it can be true that 'Cuse had a better run 2015-2021 and anyone in their right mind would rather be UConn than 'Cuse right now. I certainly would have preferred their tournament results over that time span.
Key words are...right now. That's a fan timeline...not someone who has to actually plan. And then, there's the other elephant in the room...athletic departments consist of more than just basketball. And rightfully so or not, isn't the narrow focus on UCONN Football the reason why folks don't want them in their conference? Personally, I think that's a scapegoat to an extent because there are other bad football teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom