No Syracuse schadenfreude? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

No Syracuse schadenfreude?

Reaction Score
i thought that their board was going to be enjoyable to read this morning (as it has been throughout the season) but it's actually kind of depressing. you know your fanbase is down bad when a loss to pitt doesn't fire anyone up...

Reaction Score
I like winning as much as anyone, but as a CT taxpayer, it would be nice if it came at a cheaper expense. I'm certain those who pay the tuition would agree with this. We all know...this whole conference thing is about revenue. I can't argue with any school's decision to secure its financial future...because as much as I like sports, the priority has to be securing the financial integrity of an educational institution. Both can be achieved.
This is the basketball board, not the finance board. Sports fans want their team to win. Let the executives worry about the rest.

Reaction Score
This is the basketball board, not the finance board. Sports fans want their team to win. Let the executives worry about the rest.
I'm sorry that you can't manage the relationship between the two and the significance to prior posts. Don't tell me what I can't say. Just ignore me. Can you handle that?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Love the thread, hate the suckacuse, but don’t the takes on Syracuse “ selling their soul” for ACC. We would’ve given a left nut to do the same. Let’s be honest. I love how we’ve ended up, but Syracuse going to ACC has nothing to do with their downfall. It was right move for them and would’ve been right move for us at the time if afforded the opportunity.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Based on what I observed in chat, I was sure there’d be a thread on this. After taking a peek at their board, I’m overwhelmed with gratitude for the state of our program. This may be sacrilege, but I kinda feel bad for their fan base. What an unmitigated mess.
I honestly wasn’t aware of it. I don’t really follow Canadian basketball.

Reaction Score
Love the thread, hate the suckacuse, but don’t the takes on Syracuse “ selling their soul” for ACC. We would’ve given a left nut to do the same. Let’s be honest. I love how we’ve ended up, but Syracuse going to ACC has nothing to do with their downfall. It was right move for them and would’ve been right move for us at the time if afforded the opportunity.
Agreed. I often wonder if we had gone to the ACC instead of Louisville, if it would have helped both our program and Pitt and Syracuse to have a solid northeast contingent with former strong rivalries. Ironically, us joining may have helped BC too.

Reaction Score
Appreciate the honesty. Some folks act like that hurts.

CL82

Reaction Score
Appreciate the honesty. Some folks act like that hurts.
Oh there’s no doubt that it was a good move financially for the program. Of course there’s also no doubt that it left them out on an island without any natural rivals. Syracuse thrived in the outstanding basketball conference at the old Big East was. It’s tough to feel bad for them now, given that they had a hand in killing it.

Reaction Score
Syracuse has a chance to be fine once they get rid of Boeheim. They have resources, tradition, tv access, etc. There's no reason to believe they can't get back to a power position. Of course, they may not. It's hard to follow a legend and I don't think that Syracuse is legendary enough to automatically guarantee its future success.

That said, who gives a crap about their future, their finances, their conference. They suck. Let's enjoy it. Their fan base certainly took enough pleasure in UConn's struggles. I love that they are miserable!

Reaction Score
Oh there’s no doubt that it was a good move financially for the program. Of course there’s also no doubt that it left them out on an island without any natural rivals. Syracuse thrived in the outstanding basketball conference at the old Big East was. It’s tough to feel bad for them now, given that they had a hand in killing it.
Don't disagree at all. Hard choices, but I understand them as well. Money is the straw that stirs the drink.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I like winning as much as anyone, but as a CT taxpayer, it would be nice if it came at a cheaper expense. I'm certain those who pay the tuition would agree with this. We all know...this whole conference thing is about revenue. I can't argue with any school's decision to secure its financial future...because as much as I like sports, the priority has to be securing the financial integrity of an educational institution. Both can be achieved.

As a CT taxpayer and fan, we made the right decision.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Syracuse has a chance to be fine once they get rid of Boeheim. They have resources, tradition, tv access, etc. There's no reason to believe they can't get back to a power position. Of course, they may not. It's hard to follow a legend and I don't think that Syracuse is legendary enough to automatically guarantee its future success.

That said, who gives a crap about their future, their finances, their conference. They suck. Let's enjoy it. Their fan base certainly took enough pleasure in UConn's struggles. I love that they are miserable!

As @AuRevoirAAC mentioned earlier in this thread it's close to a 7-10 year rebuild. Whomever replaces Boeheim will need 2-3 years to overhaul roster and get the talent level to mid-ACC talent. Then, you hope that coach can then coach those players. History says you never want to be the first to replace a legend. So, now you are 3-4 years past Boeheim, you had the first coach who doesn't work out and now you need a coach who is available and willing to take on the next stage of the rebuild.

Other than a large football field they play on, there isn't any inherent draw to SU.

CL82

Reaction Score
LOL, so this thread made me go over to their board… “It’s gold Jerry pure gold!”

3BF4641B-F3D5-4A50-8DF8-F1FE0D4AA91C.jpeg
4ACFD21C-C95D-4B75-86FE-70D7F6B624DC.jpeg

Reaction Score
This. The Cuse plummet into irrelevance is much more about a delusional coach who is way past his prime and holding the school hostage for his own ego than it is about them being in the ACC. In a hypothetical world in which Boeheim stepped down and they had brought in a Nate Oats from Buffalo a handful of years ago, I have no doubt they would be a competitive team. They're now in a situation where they're not going to be able to pick an opportune time and instead will have to just pray that a) there is a good option available when Boeheim's last grandchild finishes up his senior year as their starting PG, and b) that there are no better jobs also looking at the same time. Going to be a long bumpy ride and my god am I here for it.

Reaction Score
As a CT taxpayer and fan, we made the right decision.
I'm confused. What decision did UCONN make? They never wanted to go to the ACC? They weren't annoyed that BC blocked them? Come on, folks...I get the bravado around backing your favorite sports team, but that's where I draw the line. And I am absolutely okay...if folks feel UCONN turned out ok in the end...for whatever reason. BUT...40 million dollars suggests some things did not turn out alright. I get the nostalgia, the rivalries, or whatever other intangibles that you can come up with, and the joy of "winning"...but, let's look at outcomes. You can suck in the ACC...and not go broke OR you can rejoice about the current or past BE...and face financial hardships. SU chose the money. Not mad at them...whether they suck or not.

Reaction Score
And it is still true today! Sadly they might be better if UConn was in the ACC as all for the former BE traitors would indeed have a natural rival in UConn, as I believe UConn's presence would make them better. They have no true rivals in the ACC, just fodder for the southern schools.

CL82

Reaction Score
I'm confused. What decision did UCONN make? They never wanted to go to the ACC? They weren't annoyed that BC blocked them? Come on, folks...I get the bravado around backing your favorite sports team, but that's where I draw the line. And I am absolutely okay...if folks feel UCONN turned out ok in the end...for whatever reason. BUT...40 million dollars suggests some things did not turn out alright. I get the nostalgia, the rivalries, or whatever other intangibles that you can come up with, and the joy of "winning"...but, let's look at outcomes. You can suck in the ACC...and not go broke OR you can rejoice about the current or past BE...and face financial hardships. SU chose the money. Not mad at them...whether they suck or not.
I get the fact that you want to hijack this thread away from Syracuse’s current suckiness, but give it a rest. We get your point Syracuse sold itself for money. So do whores. The economic justification is the same in both cases. Cash in exchange for loss of self respect. It is what it is.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

They made a decision to go to the Big East and pretty much end any (small) chance they had at moving to a big time conference. Admittedly, I'm sure they would've chosen to go to the ACC or Big Ten if it were offered to them, but I think we all know that invite was never coming.

I'm just happy they're here in the Big East rather than languishing in the ACC with basically one rival and a bunch of games that people wouldn't get juiced for. That was my main point. I'm a fan, and as a fan I want them to be as good as possible. They're going to be able to recruit much better players in the Big East than they would having to sell a southern conference to kids.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Based on what I observed in chat, I was sure there’d be a thread on this. After taking a peek at their board, I’m overwhelmed with gratitude for the state of our program. This may be sacrilege, but I kinda feel bad for their fan base. What an unmitigated mess.

Their fan base hates our program. I've never had hate for Cuse but I sure as he|| don't feel bad in the slightest for the fans on their forum.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Agreed. I often wonder if we had gone to the ACC instead of Louisville, if it would have helped both our program and Pitt and Syracuse to have a solid northeast contingent with former strong rivalries. Ironically, us joining may have helped BC too.
Nothing can help BCU

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom