No Syracuse schadenfreude? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

No Syracuse schadenfreude?

Reaction Score
I get the fact that you want to hijack this thread away from Syracuse’s current suckiness, but give it a rest. We get your point Syracuse sold itself for money. So do whores. The economic justification is the same in both cases. Cash in exchange for loss of self respect. It is what it is.
Um...if they didn't suck I wouldn't have said...they suck. Trust me...it wasn't that difficult to say. SO..Syracuse was a better whore than UCONN? That wasn't my point, but you created the analogy. Accuse me of hijacking whatever you want. Been done. Not impressed. The reality is...schools should be loyal to their needs first...not a conference. Switching conferences didn't make Syracuse an average team. Since Carmelo left...while they were still in the BE...it's not as if they were some perennial threat. AND...neither was UCONN. So, given that reality...TAKE THE MONEY.

Reaction Score
I don’t relish kicking those nose-pickers that much. They have always sucked in their own special way, even when winning. The pricks up in Boston on the other hand think their great when their high water mark about 35 years ago, but lacked the balls to compete with us in the ACC and kept us out.

Reaction Score
Their fan base hates our program. I've never had hate for Cuse but I sure as he|| don't feel bad in the slightest for the fans on their forum.
I don't hate them, but the freaking Karma of watching them take so much joy in our struggles at the end of the Ollie era and realignment, where we were clearly going to sink into irrelevance according to them, only to see them suffer what looks like it will be an even worse and much longer fate is just so sweet.

mrw GIF

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think we've moved past schadenfreude to indifference. Richmond's been on this board often lately. Isn't he the last recruit Cuse beat us out of? Heh.

Reaction Score
I'm confused. What decision did UCONN make? They never wanted to go to the ACC? They weren't annoyed that BC blocked them? Come on, folks...I get the bravado around backing your favorite sports team, but that's where I draw the line. And I am absolutely okay...if folks feel UCONN turned out ok in the end...for whatever reason. BUT...40 million dollars suggests some things did not turn out alright. I get the nostalgia, the rivalries, or whatever other intangibles that you can come up with, and the joy of "winning"...but, let's look at outcomes. You can suck in the ACC...and not go broke OR you can rejoice about the current or past BE...and face financial hardships. SU chose the money. Not mad at them...whether they suck or not.
To be fair to UConn, COVID has had a pretty big negative impact on finances. There were no football games in 2020. The 2019/2020 basketball season got cut short with no BE or NCAA Tournaments. And, the 2020/2021 basketball season had reduced attendance. And, the lack of games impacted media revenues as well.

Fortunately, athletic donations are up substantially since the move to the Big East although donations can be for capital projects as well as operations:

2016: $8.5 million
2017: $12.4 million
2018: $10.4 million
2019: $14.4 million
2020: $26.4 million
2021: $21.4 million

Reaction Score
I like winning as much as anyone, but as a CT taxpayer, it would be nice if it came at a cheaper expense. I'm certain those who pay the tuition would agree with this. We all know...this whole conference thing is about revenue. I can't argue with any school's decision to secure its financial future...because as much as I like sports, the priority has to be securing the financial integrity of an educational institution. Both can be achieved.

I'm with this guy. If I'm a Syracuse fan and my team is several games below .500 and just got steamrolled by a dog____ Pitt team in front of about 12 fans and my geriatric coach has prioritized showcasing his sons (one of whom is probably not good enough to play high major division 1) over winning games and has alienated our 5 star freshman who will probably transfer I am nonetheless thrilled because of the revenue generated by virtue of the association with the ACC. i SeE tHe BiG pIcTuRe. wInNiNg!

This just reads like someone who wants to sound like they've figured it out and all the people who are primarily concerned with what happens on the court and whether or not their team puts out an enjoyable, entertaining product are just rubes.

And who is a fan of both Syracuse and UConn? Maybe when you have so much wisdom to see the big picture and only look at the financials that's an easier thing to pull off?

Reaction Score
I get the fact that you want to hijack this thread away from Syracuse’s current suckiness, but give it a rest. We get your point Syracuse sold itself for money. So do whores. The economic justification is the same in both cases. Cash in exchange for loss of self respect. It is what it is.
No need to throw sex workers under the bus.

Reaction Score
Love the thread, hate the suckacuse, but don’t the takes on Syracuse “ selling their soul” for ACC. We would’ve given a left nut to do the same. Let’s be honest. I love how we’ve ended up, but Syracuse going to ACC has nothing to do with their downfall. It was right move for them and would’ve been right move for us at the time if afforded the opportunity.
While this is true, in the present, 'cuse fans have only their helm's trophies and ACC money to prop up their arguments that they have the better program. It's the only hill that they have to die on now. Our has 4 flags at the top and is trending towards another one. rings > $$$ for us fans.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
They made a decision to go to the Big East and pretty much end any (small) chance they had at moving to a big time conference. Admittedly, I'm sure they would've chosen to go to the ACC or Big Ten if it were offered to them, but I think we all know that invite was never coming.

LOL we were all begging to go to the Big12 just 3 years ago.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Imagine if we were near the bottom of our conference below .500 and Danny was playing his 2 sons and their friend who can’t defend for 35 minutes? This board would have a meltdown.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Um...if they didn't suck I wouldn't have said...they suck. Trust me...it wasn't that difficult to say. SO..Syracuse was a better whore than UCONN? That wasn't my point, but you created the analogy. Accuse me of hijacking whatever you want. Been done. Not impressed. The reality is...schools should be loyal to their needs first...not a conference. Switching conferences didn't make Syracuse an average team. Since Carmelo left...while they were still in the BE...it's not as if they were some perennial threat. AND...neither was UCONN. So, given that reality...TAKE THE MONEY.
I get it, I do. And if I was a Syracuse fan I would be grateful for the financial stability and depressed about the athletic futility. But what I probably wouldn’t do is get on an opposing teams fansite and try to victory dance the money. It’s a pretty weak look.

Reaction Score
I think we've moved past schadenfreude to indifference. Richmond's been on this board often lately. Isn't he the last recruit Cuse beat us out of? Heh.

Not to stomp on them any more when they're down, but I believe we beat them out for Andre Jackson, who was both teams' top choice and then they ended up with Richmond (before running him out of town with stupidity).

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I'm a state taxpayer and a fan, and honestly "financial stability" is the last thing I care about. We won a title in the AAC. If it looked like a good path going forward I'd have been fine staying there. It wasn't. Getting into the ACC is great, but the point is to win.

Reaction Score
Here's the thing - I used to care about all of them.

Now, I don't care if they win. I don't care if they lose. I can't name a player (but know there are several Boeheims on the team) on Syracuse, Pitt, BC, VA Tech, Louisville or Miami.

When realignment started I did the only thing I could do - turn the channel when the ACC is playing in anything (unless it involves Uconn).

And in general, if Uconn isn't playing, I don't watch.

However, I am relearning how to hate Providence.

Reaction Score
I'm with this guy. If I'm a Syracuse fan and my team is several games below .500 and just got steamrolled by a dog____ Pitt team in front of about 12 fans and my geriatric coach has prioritized showcasing his sons (one of whom is probably not good enough to play high major division 1) over winning games and has alienated our 5 star freshman who will probably transfer I am nonetheless thrilled because of the revenue generated by virtue of the association with the ACC. i SeE tHe BiG pIcTuRe. wInNiNg!

This just reads like someone who wants to sound like they've figured it out and all the people who are primarily concerned with what happens on the court and whether or not their team puts out an enjoyable, entertaining product are just rubes.

And who is a fan of both Syracuse and UConn? Maybe when you have so much wisdom to see the big picture and only look at the financials that's an easier thing to pull off?
Who is a fan of both? A person who grew up in CT...and attended Syracuse....and is currently paying tuitions at BOTH. Any other mind-blowing questions? Here's the fuzzy big picture that just has you so confused. If choosing between some team winning and not going broke? You choose broke and I don't. It's not rocket science. You folks have a lot to say, BUT...you certainly haven't laid out all the advantages you gained...NOT CHOOSING, but being LEFT in the BE. If you could have CHOSEN...you would be in the ACC. You did not choose the BE. If it was that great...why did you leave it and go to the AAC?! Oh..that.s right...so you could win. You left the AAC and returned to the BE for the exact same reason..that the whore Syracuse...left and went to the AAC! MONEY!

Reaction Score
It's the tobacco road curse.

The way they scurried to the ACC, they left a better basketball situation and are now floundering. A better solution would have been for UCONN, Pitt, WVU, Miami, Vag Tech, Syracuse, ND, BCU to basically merge with the ACC in one fell swoop. Then it would have been a real merger of two "separate but equal" conferences instead of mostly northern schools joining a southern conference. BCU, Syracuse and Pitt are now ouliers and can't recruit against the Big East. They hate us so much, and it's a pleasure to watch.

Reaction Score
I get it, I do. And if I was a Syracuse fan I would be grateful for the financial stability and depressed about the athletic futility. But what I probably wouldn’t do is get on an opposing teams fansite and try to victory dance the money. It’s a pretty weak look.
I don't get depressed about sports. I just don't. Sorry. I'm not that kind of fan.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
My favorite comment from SyracuseFan.

"I'd rather have stayed in the BE where our recruiting was a blessing and there is no reason why it would have changed. Even if football went independent it could not have been worse than it is and it is not going to be better next year. Being the Beast of the East was worth more than ACC cash. If we stay in the ACC we will become a basketball has been regardless of coaching. We are now the Least of the SE.
As to UConn and GT, they have better talent than us. Benny is no Mohammed. Even Prov. and SH are more talented."

My opinion, when Boeheim and his zone retires, the rotten fruit will be back. They just have to make the right hire.

Reaction Score
Answer:

Nomar
WhereistheDove
palatine

That guy who thinks he is a CIA agent
FriarJ
Tcf15
Husky429
RichZ
Tom Emery (hell he runs a board for them!)
William Shea
Dove
Jibsey
IceBear
HuskyNan
Whoah, let's not get so personal and offensive. Keep it civil Arby's boy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom