Nika Muhl to UCONN | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Nika Muhl to UCONN

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Didn't want to respond to lots of posts so just some observations:

1. There are a number of 'unaffiliated' US talent scouts or whatever you want to call them working around European WBB who advise families and players of the process involved in being recruited by US colleges. There is an academic equivalency requirement for foreign players that must be met and they help with that process as well. US college coaches get informed about the players that are interested in college before turning pro.

2. There is also quite a bit of dialog between the various national associations and amateur/professional leagues so if a player wants to put their name out there for recruiting, it gets out there.

3. I don't see Hailey Van Lith (aka Hailey Van Lith) or any other guard/wing being deterred by either of our 2020 commits - we frequently see HS players committing to schools with proverbial logjams at their position sometimes it works really well, sometimes not, but unless the 'logjam' is already dominant on the college team it does not seem to matter much in the recruiting universe. (Yes, Breanna probably scared away a few players in the next few years, but Morgan probably did not.)

4. Nice that the doom and gloom, Geno has lost his touch posters seem to be a little quieter these days! And I just wish the drum beaters for post players would take a chill. Do they not realize that we can all look at player heights and recognize that posts and power forward type players are needed. And do they think Geno isn't aware of that issue as well? (Not going to happen, I know, but one can hope.)

Reaction Score
Wow, I like the comparison to Luka Doncic, i expect to see Muhl play a lot, and if she can challenge Paige for a starting spot it will only make the team better.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
In the past as now, good/elite post players will be highly coveted and highly sought by ALL programs, P5 and other wise. There just aren't that many to go around. If you're an upcoming high school post player that's good to very good, and have the grades to go with your game, programs all across the country will roll out the red carpet and try to "woo" you to their program.

You don't have to be 6-7 (Kalani Brown & Teaira McCowan), 6-4 and taller is acceptable if you are a dominant player, and can handle your business. You can write your own ticket to just about any program in the country. A team can NEVER have too many good BIGS. That would be like having too much money. :confused:

I hope having a lot of good to great BIGS is a problem UConn will have soon. I'll be interested to see how much help Geno can secure for ONO for next season and beyond. Right now ONO is the Batman without Robin. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
In the past as now, good/elite post players will be highly coveted and highly sought by ALL programs, p-5 and other wise. There just aren't that many to go around. If you're an upcoming high school post player that's good to very good, and has the grades to go with your game, programs all across the country will roll out the red carpet for you.

You don't have to be 6-7 (Kalani Brown & Teaira McCowan), 6-4 and taller is acceptable if you are a dominant player, and can handle your business. You can write your own ticket to just about any program in the country. A team can NEVER have too many good BIGS. I hope having a lot of good to great BIGS is a problem UConn will have soon. I'll be interested to see how much help Geno can secure for ONO for next season and beyond. Right now ONO is the Batman without Robin. :confused:

But isn't Robin the short person? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
...before you know it, this thread will take a turn for the worswe'll have Buecker

But isn't Robin the short person? :rolleyes:

Yes, but his height notwithstanding, he helped Batman be all he could be. :D ONO MUST have another post player (or two) on the team to help her going forward. She cannot be asked or expected to do what UConn needs done at the post position alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Yes, but he helped Batman be all he could be. :D

Some unfinished reply started a few pages back decided not to pursue but forgot to delete...oh well.

1554830072683.png

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
hoopsfan22- - - -With Nika Muhl capable of playing a 3/W I can see Hailey Van Lith also on board at UCONN! She'd be a great "catch" for Geno & UCONN!

But I like more length/Hgth in my 3s.

PS. @UcMiami , note I refrained from pining for a 6' 4 or better from Europe for this fall, because as you say, it's flipping obvious!

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
1554835187956.png

I missed this NBA initiative in international player developement. Here's a brief description from the NBA:

Women Program – NBA: Academy

PS. Anyone know whether Nika, like Paige, told Geno a while ago before the public declaration? Oops, dumb question. An article published April 5 in the Courant had her listing the schools she was still considering and talking about an early summer decision time line and her commitment was in the Courant on the 7th. I guess that is something else she has in common with Paige : "When you know you know."

I do note that : " The program also placed Muhl in the same practice as Paige Bueckers, the No.1 recruit in the class of 2020 who recently announced her commitment to UConn. The two didn’t discuss the Huskies, but they were able to play against each other on Thursday. " UConn women’s basketball target Nika Muhl discusses visit with Geno Auriemma, college plans

I am sure that this happy playing coincidence and her accelerated commitment to UConn was purely coincidental. Absurd to think otherwise. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Does anyone know how many more scholarships Geno will have for 2020? He’s clearly been busy with wonderful results so far. I still have my fingers crossed that he may somehow come up with some nice additional players for next year
Technically he'll have 8 more available. Grad transfer won't affect that. They'd come and go before 20's get here. Other transfers for next year would cut into that. However, I doubt he'd bring in more than 5 anyway. So he could be looking at up to 3 more for the 20's. And still most likely be able to bring in 3-4 in 21.

Reaction Score
View attachment 42085

I missed this NBA initiative in international player developement. Here's a brief description from the NBA:

PS. Anyone know whether Nika, like Paige, told Geno a while ago before the public declaration? Oops, dumb question. An article published April 5 in the Courant had her listing the schools she was still considering and talking about an early summer decision time line and her commitment was in the Courant on the 7th. I guess that is something else she has in common with Paige : "When you know you know."

Are European players coming to UConn destined to wear #25 jersey?

1554836980754.png

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Are European players coming to UConn destined to wear #25 jersey?

View attachment 42087

She'll have to ask Sveta and maybe she did, because though Sveta was in Albany because she could not attend the Final 4 she was sighted in Tampa. Hmmmm

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She'll have to ask Martina and maybe she did, because though Martina was in Albany because she could not attend the Final 4 she was sighted in Tampa. Hmmmm

You lost me at Martina. What am I missing?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I've done some cursory Googling and have come up empty handed, but does anyone know if there is some kind of concise history of women (or men, for that matter...) coming from Europe to play college basketball?

I'd be curious about when it started and how players like Svet, before the internet let you easily watch games from around the country, came to the US to play. Who was the first and how did she land where she did? I know you could send tapes in the 90s, but what about before that? Early 80s? I have a lot of questions.

Reaction Score
Didn't want to respond to lots of posts so just some observations:

1. There are a number of 'unaffiliated' US talent scouts or whatever you want to call them working around European WBB who advise families and players of the process involved in being recruited by US colleges. There is an academic equivalency requirement for foreign players that must be met and they help with that process as well. US college coaches get informed about the players that are interested in college before turning pro.

2. There is also quite a bit of dialog between the various national associations and amateur/professional leagues so if a player wants to put their name out there for recruiting, it gets out there.

3. I don't see Hailey Van Lith (aka Hailey Van Lith) or any other guard/wing being deterred by either of our 2020 commits - we frequently see HS players committing to schools with proverbial logjams at their position sometimes it works really well, sometimes not, but unless the 'logjam' is already dominant on the college team it does not seem to matter much in the recruiting universe. (Yes, Breanna probably scared away a few players in the next few years, but Morgan probably did not.)

4. Nice that the doom and gloom, Geno has lost his touch posters seem to be a little quieter these days! And I just wish the drum beaters for post players would take a chill. Do they not realize that we can all look at player heights and recognize that posts and power forward type players are needed. And do they think Geno isn't aware of that issue as well? (Not going to happen, I know, but one can hope.)

I believe that you cannot have enough guards on the team. Yes, UConn needs Post Players but I am thrilled with these two young ladies that have verbalized. To Hailey Van Lith join the crew. We have three forwards come to UC in Jones, Cash and Williams. Would love to see that happen once again.

Reaction Score

I d
Interesting stat lines from what I have seen - lots of both assists and TOs, good 2 point percentage, bad 3 point percentage, iffy on FTs, tons of steals and lots of rebounds for a guard.

She is getting calls to the national team and has played on the age restricted teams. Saw one comment about double doubles, triple doubles and quad doubles but suspect that is all local level stuff.

Don't really think this commitment changes anything on the US side of recruiting - seeing how US recruits do not seem to restrict their choices by what a school already has. Specifically if Hailey Van Lith wants to come to Uconn I doubt 'competition' will scare her away.
I can't speak for anyone else but I did seem to see some flashes of Sue Bird and that's pretty awesome. Her ball handling skills are pretty awesome and I love her passing skills, based on this limited Youtube view

Reaction Score

This young lady is very talented but it does seem, based on this limited video, that she's prone to force shots and penetrate into one on three situations when there's likely a better option with a teammate. Obviously there are some extremely talented college defenders that might love someone who feels that they can get away with some of these forced penetrations. Maybe her teammates are very poor offensive players??? I have to assume that despite this video, she's an unselfish player because I don't think Geno would spend any time involved with someone who isn't all about team FIRST!

Reaction Score
View attachment 42085

I do note that : " The program also placed Muhl in the same practice as Paige Bueckers, the No.1 recruit in the class of 2020 who recently announced her commitment to UConn. The two didn’t discuss the Huskies, but they were able to play against each other on Thursday. " UConn women’s basketball target Nika Muhl discusses visit with Geno Auriemma, college plans

I am sure that this happy playing coincidence and her accelerated commitment to UConn was purely coincidental. Absurd to think otherwise. :rolleyes:
View attachment 42085

Talking with Nika she has said Friday’s game was the final decider. She loved the wat they played.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom