Nika Muhl to UCONN | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Nika Muhl to UCONN

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
glad to see UConn being more aggressive going after recruits early as the competition for top talent is tougher then ever...“He was the first one to visit. He made me think that he really cared and that he really wanted me there.”

The thing is UConn was very late on Muhl having only contacted her a first time in January. It appears as if Muhl had UConn near the top of her list way before they got involved.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The thing is UConn was very late on Muhl having only contacted her a first time in January. It appears as if Muhl had UConn near the top of her list way before they got involved.

Actually she said she was down to 4 colleges and then in January she got an e-mail from UConn and first thought it was a joke. Here it is in mid-interview.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe Crystal will let Nika take the Ferrari out for a test drive...:cool:

Ferrari just had two flat tires right now. Just one spare and looking for the other one. Would be a very bumpy ride.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Actually she said she was down to 4 colleges and then in January she got an e-mail from UConn and first thought it was a joke.

Yes, because she couldn't believe UConn was contacting her.

I'm not sure if you're disagreeing with me or not.

Reaction Score
Very interesting that she committed without seeing the campus or facilities -- which also means that she probably hasn't met any of her future teammates. Will be very fun to see how she meshes personality-wise with Crystal, Megan, Christyn et al.

She did get to meet Bueckers in Tampa. But I too wondered if she was the first commit to not meet her teammates. Sounds like some toughness is coming. 2001-2005 may become known as the acme of the program. And yeah, I know. :rolleyes:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She did get to meet Bueckers in Tampa. But I too wondered if she was the first commit to not meet her teammates. Sounds like some toughness is coming. 2001-2005 may become known as the acme of the program. And yeah, I know. :rolleyes:

Is it possible she met the team in Tampa? Seems like a reasonable thing to do with the recruit there.

Reaction Score

I have no idea when other schools first contacted her but Geno was apparently the first to make the long journey to Croatia and while she may have chosen UConn anyway it certainly had a big impact on her....................PB also mentioned how important it was that UConn was there to see her early and often...............apparently even UConn can't expect recruits to come knocking...............

Reaction Score
Maybe Crystal will let Nika take the Ferrari out for a test drive...:cool:
Would make more sense for her to interact more with ONO, CW, Meg, and Mikayla since those will be the only players left on the team by the time she arrives on campus.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I have no idea when other schools first contacted her but Geno was apparently the first to make the long journey to Croatia and while she may have chosen UConn anyway it certainly had a big impact on her.....PB also mentioned how important it was that UConn was there to see her early and often.....apparently even UConn can't expect recruits to come knocking.....

Coaches from Oregon and USF were there over the next few days and OSU came by a couple weeks later. Wasn't like Geno was recruiting her three years ago like they were Bueckers.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Actually she said she was down to 4 colleges and then in January she got an e-mail from UConn and first thought it was a joke. Here it is in mid-interview.

Her English is phenomenal. I marvel at her ability to speak so fluently with proper use of idioms. That's not an easy thing to do.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Her English is phenomenal. I marvel at her ability to speak so fluently with proper use of idioms. That's not an easy thing to do.
I know!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes, because she couldn't believe UConn was contacting her. I'm not sure if you're disagreeing with me or not.
Me neither! :) I think UConn was in her mind, perhaps as an unattainable goal. Geno's strong interest drew her like a magnet.
I'm glad we have Nika onboard but I can't help but wonder what changed for UCONN two months ago that would cause UCONN to start looking at another combo guard in the 2020 class. Any guesses? Was Nika just too good to pass up regardless of where she was in the recruiting class?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm glad we have Nika onboard but I can't help but wonder what changed for UCONN two months ago that would cause UCONN to start looking at another combo guard in the 2020 class. Any guesses? Was Nika just too good to pass up regardless of where she was in the recruiting class?

Pure speculation. When 2019 #1 said Stanford I think Geno said I have to have more to look at and, yes, he find Nika and said 2020, who cares, and he found Anna and hopefully she comes long this Fall. Now, where's the big!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Time will tell just how good Paige and Nika will be. DT comparisons have been bandied about relative to Paige. Nika seems just slightly behind Paige. But the thought of having two such players on the court at the same time overlapping Christyn and hopefully Azzi has got to be intriguing for Geno.

Reaction Score

I have to think he believed Hailey Van Lith was going elsewhere and thought NM was indeed a great option..................haven't checked the timeline to figure out if he already knew he had PB in the fold but perhaps not, so NM would be a strong point guard in her own right just in case PB went elsewhere...............the fact that the two of them could work well together if PB chose UConn made it an easy choice

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
.haven't checked the timeline to figure out if he already knew he had PB in the fold but perhaps not, so NM would be a strong point guard in her own right just in case PB went elsewhere....

Bueckers' comments indicate Geno "knew" for a while that she was coming to UConn. Geno visited Muhl on March 14 and probably had that planned for weeks. Bueckers announced her verbal on April 1st though likely told the staff days earlier. Either way, pretty sure Geno and Co. like Muhl a lot to bring her in with Paige. Too bad we have to wait until November to hear what he thinks.

Reaction Score
Bueckers' comments indicate Geno "knew" for a while that she was coming to UConn. Geno visited Muhl on March 14 and probably had that planned for weeks. Bueckers announced her verbal on April 1st though likely told the staff days earlier. Either way, pretty sure Geno and Co. like Muhl a lot to bring her in with Paige. Too bad we have to wait until November to hear what he thinks.

curious to see where Hailey Van Lith ends up now.................I suppose UConn remains a slim possibility but I would think Oregon is a more likely choice.............

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

My experience is that people from Yugoslavia/the former Yugoslavia born around 1960 or later all speak very good English. I've worked with or collaborated with people from Serbia, Macedonia, and Slovenia, and known folks from Yugoslavia before it broke up, and to a person, their English was all very good. (This is in no way minimizing Ms. Muhl's accomplishment; I realize what a pain English is, especially the idiomatic part.)

[tangent warning] The best ESL speakers are from the small Western European countries (Denmark, Sweden, Netherlands, Finland). A close Danish friend explained to me that there are not that many Danish speakers (maybe 7-8 million) in the world, so all Danes are fluent in either English or German, often both. That would also make sense for the folks in the former Yugoslavia (and Bulgaria, Albania, etc.), except that for those born in 1960, they were still behind the Iron Curtain till they were 30, so Russian was likely their secondary fluent language, and I would think they were discouraged from learning English. But evidently not. [/tangent]

Reaction Score
My experience is that people from Yugoslavia/the former Yugoslavia born around 1960 or later all speak very good English. I've worked with or collaborated with people from Serbia, Macedonia, and Slovenia, and known folks from Yugoslavia before it broke up, and to a person, their English was all very good. (This is in no way minimizing Ms. Muhl's accomplishment; I realize what a pain English is, especially the idiomatic part.)

[tangent warning] The best ESL speakers are from the small Western European countries (Denmark, Sweden, Netherlands, Finland). A close Danish friend explained to me that there are not that many Danish speakers (maybe 7-8 million) in the world, so all Danes are fluent in either English or German, often both. That would also make sense for the folks in the former Yugoslavia (and Bulgaria, Albania, etc.), except that for those born in 1960, they were still behind the Iron Curtain till they were 30, so Russian was likely their secondary fluent language, and I would think they were discouraged from learning English. But evidently not. [/tangent]

In my twenties I had a Swedish girlfriend who spoke five languages fluently.................damn annoying................

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom