Nika Muhl to UCONN | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Nika Muhl to UCONN

Reaction Score
maybe I'm asking for too much but wouldn't it be great if UConn had a real scorer off the bench that could play in crunch time if one of the starters was having an off day......it does seem to me that some of the best teams out there actually have bench players that give positive minutes as part of a rotation while Geno only grudgingly brings in subs when he absolutely has to.....
Great point on subs. For years, frosh and sophs came off bench. Kia, KLS, etc. all added energy and production prior to starting. Stokes was a sub her entire 4 years and still a high draft choice. Some games we need scoring, some rebounding, some defense. With most winning streaks gone, who cares if we lose a few more in season games if we are NCAA ready.

Reaction Score
Great point on subs. For years, frosh and sophs came off bench. Kia, KLS, etc. all added energy and production prior to starting. Stokes was a sub her entire 4 years and still a high draft choice. Some games we need scoring, some rebounding, some defense. With most winning streaks gone, who cares if we lose a few more in season games if we are NCAA ready.
When was Kia a sub? If I remember correctly, she was a sub for the first two games of her UConn career, and then a starter the rest of the way after that loss to Stanford when she displaced Saniya from her starting spot.

Reaction Score
First I'll say what was negative about my post? Secondly, you are close to crossing a line. Watch yourself! I'll bite my tongue for now but if you talk down to me again I will let you know my feelings.
When watching these highlight videos, I’m so thankful I have a mute key.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If Van Lith were to come to UConn then you have a situation where two of Bueckers/Muhl/Van Lith come off the bench for two years until CW graduates. I don't see that scenario happening.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I agree with your overall point, but Smith was probably the best bench player in the Final Four. She would have gotten minutes/points even without Lauren's injury. But she's the exception.
She may have been, she is certainly a dynamic player, but ... in her last four games of the year she had:
9 minutes, 1-4 for 2 pts. 1 rb, 1 asst, 1 st, 3 fouls
8 min, 3-4 for 6 pts, 3 rbs, 1 blk, 1 foul
8 min, 1-2 for 2 pts, 2 rbs, 1 blk, 1 foul
and then in the final with Cox playing 29 instead of 40 minutes:
17 min, 7-9 for 14 pts, 6 rbs, 1 blk and 5 fouls.
So S16, E8, and Semi she averaged 8 minutes, 3 pts, 2 rbs, 1 blk, 2 fouls and the first two games were blow-outs.
I think Miss State and Stanford come to mind as teams who have fairly deep benches and get some scoring off the bench although not necessarily in the most important games....
I agree that Stanford and MsSt play their benches more, but scoring is an other issue in second weekend games:
MsSt bench played 29 min and scored 7pts in a 23 pt win and 16 minutes and 8pts in the loss
Standford 67 min and 25 points (but 3 starters combined for only 8 pts, and all five accounted for only 30) in their win, and 53 min and 10 points in their loss.

For Stanford two starters combined for a total of eight points during the weekend so they either get bench points or die.

The issue I am making is that generally teams have a hard time identifying 5 complete players to start and both score and play defense. There are very few that can, and generally the drop off when they then go to their bench is pretty dramatic. For teams that do not have five really good starters, then what comes off the bench may actually be just as good as the player they are replacing. They may play a few really good games as may any bench player, but you cannot count on it.

Uconn like Baylor this year, sometimes has a really good generally young player on the bench who can produce good games. Smith was such a player, but with her racking up 10 fouls in 42 minutes in her last 4 games she can't exactly be counted on yet. Sort of like ONO.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If Van Lith were to come to UConn then you have a situation where two of Bueckers/Muhl/Van Lith come off the bench for two years until CW graduates. I don't see that scenario happening.
With three of the four you list being able to play on the wing and no one else yet claiming that spot, it would more likely be only one sitting while three play. Might be a very fast and deadly attack on offense and defense.

Reaction Score
Could play small ball with Paige at 3 walker at 4 Ono at 5 and Hailey Van Lith and CW. Plus if there’s more of an emphasis on positionless basketball sort of speak then players off bench Can still sub for different positions in any game so there would be minutes to distribute. This obviously does not take into account other recruits we get at the 3/4/5 positions but just a thought.

Reaction Score
She may have been, she is certainly a dynamic player, but ... in her last four games of the year she had:
So S16, E8, and Semi she averaged 8 minutes, 3 pts, 2 rbs, 1 blk, 2 fouls and the first two games were blow-outs.

I agree that Stanford and MsSt play their benches more, but scoring is an other issue in second weekend games:
MsSt bench played 29 min and scored 7pts in a 23 pt win and 16 minutes and 8pts in the loss
Standford 67 min and 25 points (but 3 starters combined for only 8 pts, and all five accounted for only 30) in their win, and 53 min and 10 points in their loss.

For Stanford two starters combined for a total of eight points during the weekend so they either get bench points or die.

The issue I am making is that generally teams have a hard time identifying 5 complete players to start and both score and play defense. There are very few that can, and generally the drop off when they then go to their bench is pretty dramatic. For teams that do not have five really good starters, then what comes off the bench may actually be just as good as the player they are replacing. They may play a few really good games as may any bench player, but you cannot count on it.

Uconn like Baylor this year, sometimes has a really good generally young player on the bench who can produce good games. Smith was such a player, but with her racking up 10 fouls in 42 minutes in her last 4 games she can't exactly be counted on yet. Sort of like ONO.

I hesitate to bring her name up but perhaps AEH would have been that extra shooter had she not transferred................you bring her off the bench in the hopes that she hits two or three shots early and ride her offense for a bit..............my hope is that UConn can find a three point shooter to groom who would fill that need in the next two classes.......

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
With three of the four you list being able to play on the wing and no one else yet claiming that spot, it would more likely be only one sitting while three play. Might be a very fast and deadly attack on offense and defense.

Personally, I don't see anyone but perhaps Bueckers playing Wing at UConn. Muhl is about Geno's height, I'd go with 5-9, and her outside shooting is her biggest weakness at the moment. She's at her best with the ball in her hands the maximum amount possible. I don't see Williams playing Wing either. Van Lith is way too small.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Also, UConn is in on this player you may have heard of named Fudd. If they happen to get her--fingers crossed--minutes will be hard to come by even without Van Lith.

Reaction Score
When was Kia a sub? If I remember correctly, she was a sub for the first two games of her UConn career, and then a starter the rest of the way after that loss to Stanford when she displaced Saniya from her starting spot.
Think the reference was to Stokes not Nurse

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
when was the last time UConn had two or three bench players that were just about as capable as the starters they replaced? After all the recent travails with the bench that would certainly be a wonderful thing.....
I'll submit a hypothetical, something we all wish would have happened. If Tuck hadn't had to shut down in 13-14, she would have been the best sixth-player in the country (or even started over Mo). The result would have been her at 6 and Kiah Stokes at 7. Would've been a pretty tough team to beat. It was anyway.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Thanks. Smith played less at the end of the season than I thought. But she got points and/or rebounds.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Could play small ball with Paige at 3 walker at 4 Ono at 5 and Hailey Van Lith and CW. Plus if there’s more of an emphasis on positionless basketball sort of speak then players off bench Can still sub for different positions in any game so there would be minutes to distribute. This obviously does not take into account other recruits we get at the 3/4/5 positions but just a thought.
I don't think small ball is the first choice, but I would still take Hailey Van Lith and figure out how to balance minutes. I think Paige and Christyn could play wing. Maybe not their best position, but possible.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hailey Van Lith go elsewhere, now that we have Paige and Nika, but I think she could fit in the mix.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I hesitate to bring her name up but perhaps AEH would have been that extra shooter had she not transferred......you bring her off the bench in the hopes that she hits two or three shots early and ride her offense for a bit....my hope is that UConn can find a three point shooter to groom who would fill that need in the next two classes..
I think you're right in making your point. UConn surely could have used her this past year.

Reaction Score
And it gets worse if UConn somehow gets Fudd in the following class.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
And it gets worse if UConn somehow gets Fudd in the following class.

Yes, it would be jammed packed with guards even without Hailey Van Lith at that point. Course, UConn doesn't have Fudd yet so that's still hypothatical.

Reaction Score
UConn is already using positionless basketball. The line-up is determined more by roles, than "position". They need ball handlers (more than one is good), shooters, scorers, rebounders, shot blockers, and everyone defends. If Geno has the depth (talent) he could play 7 or 8 in every game. I doubt he wants anyone playing 38-40 minutes a game.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Looking at the names you referenced, one thing is clear. At UConn, if you perform you play. While it may have happened, never remember a strong contributor transferring after frosh year.
KJ was probably the best player we ever had transfer out. Walker did ok down in KY. Tammy Arnold was expected to do some things before she left. We've had a couple.

Reaction Score
She is 18 now (Birth: 09 Apr 2001). Why she cannot start in 2019-2020 class, and has to wait until 2020-2021 class?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She is 18 now (Birth: 09 Apr 2001). Why she cannot start in 2019-2020 class?

As good as Nika is and she is very, very good, I don't see her beating out Paige the #1 recruit in the 2020 class. Either way UCONN has two outstanding point guards. Hopefully this won,t work against UCONN in signing Fudd in the 2021 class.

Reaction Score
As good as Nika is and she is very, very good, I don't see her beating out Paige the #1 recruit in the 2020 class. Either way UCONN has two outstanding point guards. Hopefully this won,t work against UCONN in signing Fudd in the 2021 class.
Why would it work against Fudd. If anything more impact on Hailey Van Lith

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Azzi can play PG, but she doesn't on her HS team. Her best position is the 2 or maybe the 3. She'll appreciate playing with a great PG, especially if it's her best friend Paige. Getting Paige will definitely help in recruiting Azzi.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom