Nika Muhl to UCONN | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Nika Muhl to UCONN

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hailey Van Lith? I didn't know she didn't have offer. Thought she did
Sorry. Thought you were talking about Nika Muhl. I agree that if Hailey Van Lith was leaning towards UConn, she missed the boat. Had she committed early, then Geno probably doesn't extend an offer to Muhl. Truth is, I like Muhl's size and defensive ability more than Hailey Van Lith.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Svet wasn't Euro. She was Russian. That was the problem lol
The time Geno was mic’d, Svet missed a wide open layup on a fast break. That when he [in]famously said,”That’s it, no more damned Europeans” for everyone to hear. That’s why we think of Svet as European. That’s also why Geno won’t wear a mic anymore

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Sorry. Thought you were talking about Nika Muhl. I agree that if Hailey Van Lith was leaning towards UConn, she missed the boat. Had she committed early, then Geno probably doesn't extend an offer to Muhl. Truth is, I like Muhl's size and defensive ability more than Hailey Van Lith.
Yes. It appears that UCONN is moving toward "positionless" "pace and space" basketball. This requires tall guards who are quick and agile, on both offense and defense. Bueckers and Muhl fit that mold; Hailey Van Lith does not. As much as I love to watch Hailey Van Lith play (she is Jamelle Elliot/Shea Ralph fierce), she is neither tall/long enough nor fluid enough for the type of game UCONN wants to play going forward. As much as I love Crystal Dangerfield, Notre Dame and Louisville (among other teams) repeatedly took advantage of her height deficit.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Yes. It appears that UCONN is moving toward "positionless" "pace and space" basketball. This requires tall guards who are quick and agile, on both offense and defense. Bueckers and Muhl fit that mold; Hailey Van Lith does not. As much as I love to watch Hailey Van Lith play (she is Jamelle Elliot/Shea Ralph fierce), she is neither tall/long enough nor fluid enough for the type of game UCONN wants to play going forward. As much as I love Crystal Dangerfield, Notre Dame and Louisville (among other teams) repeatedly took advantage of her height deficit.

Hailey Van Lith is going to be a phenomenal asset to whichever team she goes to and I would much rather have her playing for us than against us.

Reaction Score
Idk, she put Muhl on some ice skates in some of the videos we saw of them playing against each other at the recent training of the final four

Reaction Score
Idk, she put Muhl on some ice skates in some of the videos we saw of them playing against each other at the recent training of the final four
Yes, but there is a longer version of the video in which Muhl embarrasses Hailey Van Lith more than once. Considering that Muhl was thousands of miles away from home in the U.S. for the first time, her performance was pretty special.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not sure I agree with the part about the movement. Hailey Van Lith could would certainly have worked out well at UCONN playing alongside Paige. Just think this is the recruiting process playing itself out. From documented reports Hailey Van Lith has been holding a UCONN offer since she visited UCONN. That was in November of 2017. That's also a long time ago and a lot has happen in between. It could very well be that in that time UCONN assessed their chances with Hailey Van Lith and decided they needed to look else where. Or, it could be that Hailey Van Lith decided that UCONN was a lower priority on her list.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

That's exactly the kind of kid UCONN's been missing and needs. She also looks really strong, with a thick, physical body type. Offsets height in different ways. Looks like a bull. Wish she was coming.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes, but there is a longer version of the video in which Muhl embarrasses Hailey Van Lith more than once. Considering that Muhl was thousands of miles away from home in the U.S. for the first time, her performance was pretty special.
Anyway you can post that longer version or a link to it.

Reaction Score
That's exactly the kind of kid UCONN's been missing and needs. She also looks really strong, with a thick, physical body type. Offsets height in different ways. Looks like a bull. Wish she was coming.
Not sure I see any new trends in UConn's system or guards. Geno has always been great at coaching up talent designing the offensive/defensive system to match players. While it is great to have "swiss army knives" like Collier, 5'5" guards seem to be welcome as well.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

I'm going to guess the offer is still out there if she wants it and if Geno can explain how she'd fit into a back court offense with PB, NM, and (hopefully) , I think she'd be foolish not to. That lineup plus another post, MW, CW, AG and ONO is SCREAMING to win a national championship.

And isn't playing for Geno winning the NC why players like them want to come to UConn?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm going to guess the offer is still out there if she wants it and if Geno can explain how she'd fit into a back court offense with PB, NM, and (hopefully) , I think she'd be foolish not to. That lineup plus another post, MW, CW, AG and ONO is SCREAMING to win a national championship.

And isn't playing for Geno winning the NC why players like them want to come to UConn?
I agree. I doubt Geno would say no to her. She might pass, thinking it would be a bit crowded. But Geno has taken a lot of similar position players before. Williams/Cash/Jones. Coombs/AEH/Gordon. Nurse/Edwards/Ekmark/Williams. That doesn't always work out, but I don't think Geno would turn away talent that he thought would be a good fit at UCONN. Besides with the lack of depth (in just personnel) UCONN is experiencing now, I doubt he'd be in the mood to turn players away.

Not expecting her to come, but it'd be cooler if she did.

Reaction Score
when was the last time UConn had two or three bench players that were just about as capable as the starters they replaced? After all the recent travails with the bench that would certainly be a wonderful thing...............

Reaction Score
Can you post the videos your referencing here please. I'd like to see.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
when was the last time UConn had two or three bench players that were just about as capable as the starters they replaced? After all the recent travails with the bench that would certainly be a wonderful thing.....
Well there really aren't any teams like that, unless of course the starters aren't all that good. Probably the deepest team UCONN's ever had was the 2000-2001 team. Bird/Ralph/Abrosimova/Cash/Williams with Jones/KJ/Schumacher/DT all getting plenty of time. Also had Valley/Rigby/Czel/Conlon on the bench. With Walters/Battle/Moore injured or redshirted. Big ole team.

Reaction Score
Well there really aren't any teams like that, unless of course the starters aren't all that good. Probably the deepest team UCONN's ever had was the 2000-2001 team. Bird/Ralph/Abrosimova/Cash/Williams with Jones/KJ/Schumacher/DT all getting plenty of time. Also had Valley/Rigby/Czel/Conlon on the bench. With Walters/Battle/Moore injured or redshirted. Big ole team.

maybe I'm asking for too much but wouldn't it be great if UConn had a real scorer off the bench that could play in crunch time if one of the starters was having an off day................it does seem to me that some of the best teams out there actually have bench players that give positive minutes as part of a rotation while Geno only grudgingly brings in subs when he absolutely has to...............

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
maybe I'm asking for too much but wouldn't it be great if UConn had a real scorer off the bench that could play in crunch time if one of the starters was having an off day......it does seem to me that some of the best teams out there actually have bench players that give positive minutes as part of a rotation while Geno only grudgingly brings in subs when he absolutely has to.....
Just checked the 3 FF games bench points:
Baylor NC - 14 (Cox injured so Smith played 17 min.)
ND NC - 2
Bay Semi - 2
Ore Semi - 6
ND Semi - 0
Uconn Semi - 4

I could go back to the elite eight, but why bother? The reality is that teams are lucky to have 5 good starters, and in truly competitive games very few teams rely even on a sixth man for scoring, let alone a seventh. The only player who provided any scoring off the bench was Smith and that was mostly because Cox was gone from the game.

Reaction Score
ND NC - 2
Bay Semi - 2
Ore Semi - 6
ND Semi - 0
Uconn Semi - 4

I could go back to the elite eight, but why bother? The reality is that teams are lucky to have 5 good starters, and in truly competitive games very few teams rely even on a sixth man for scoring, let alone a seventh. The only player who provided any scoring off the bench was Smith and that was mostly because Cox was gone from the game.

I think Miss State and Stanford come to mind as teams who have fairly deep benches and get some scoring off the bench although not necessarily in the most important games...................

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
ND NC - 2
Bay Semi - 2
Ore Semi - 6
ND Semi - 0
Uconn Semi - 4

I agree with your overall point, but Smith was probably the best bench player in the Final Four. She would have gotten minutes/points even without Lauren's injury. But she's the exception.

Reaction Score
I agree. I doubt Geno would say no to her. She might pass, thinking it would be a bit crowded. But Geno has taken a lot of similar position players before. Williams/Cash/Jones. Coombs/AEH/Gordon. Nurse/Edwards/Ekmark/Williams. That doesn't always work out, but I don't think Geno would turn away talent that he thought would be a good fit at UCONN. Besides with the lack of depth (in just personnel) UCONN is experiencing now, I doubt he'd be in the mood to turn players away.

Not expecting her to come, but it'd be cooler if she did.
Looking at the names you referenced, one thing is clear. At UConn, if you perform you play. While it may have happened, never remember a strong contributor transferring after frosh year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom