Muffet McGraw stepping down (merged threads) | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Muffet McGraw stepping down (merged threads)

Reaction Score
Assistant Coaching Jobs for women in the NBA are glass ceiling jobs. I do not see any women breaking through in my lifetime.

Do you expect to die in the next couple of years?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
@Dillon77, I am wondering if during this offseason if Muffet did indeed assess her future, then maybe she watched those post game interviews where she was throwing her team under the bus. She knew from the beginning of the season that it was going to be tough going, so maybe in hindsight she realized that her treatment of this year's players was not something that she was proud of.
Or maybe not.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Coaches can’t call recruits whenever they like. The NCAA has rules about when contact can be made.

Muffet will be a “representative of ND’s basketball interest” (booster) even after she retires, the way a UConn grad like Diana or Maya are still UConn boosters.
NCAA Suspends In-Person Recruiting Until May 31: In response to the coronavirus, the NCAA has suspended all in-person recruiting though May 31. Schools have also been asked to suspend official and unofficial visits. This time period will be treated similarly to a dead period, during which time phone calls and digital communication are still permitted. It’s possible the NCAA will decide to extend this date again.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Niele should be a good coach. Can she actually be better than Muffet? Don't know. That would be tough. We'll see. In any case, I expect she will be better than Holly W.

Niele is personable and has a reputation as a strong recruiter. But when I look at the kids who went to N.D., most of them seem like the typical N.D. recruits over the past 20+ years: kids from Catholic high schools, kids from the Northeast (especially N.J.), and kids from the Midwest and Lake States. Lindsay Allen fits the first group, the Mabreys fit the second, and KMac, Skylar, and Jewell fit the third. Sky was a great recruit, but she lived in South Bend. The one player who chose N.D. that seemed to be out of the norm was Brianna Turner. She was a great "get" for the Irish. What other elite player did Niele recruit who was out of their normal recruiting domain?

Reaction Score
Wow. Will be replaced by former Irish AC Niele Ivey.

Now, I'm wondering, who do you think could replace Geno when he retires? I think that we will fall (I mean look at the replacement coaches when they replaced legendary coaches here at UConn - PP to replace RE, Kevin replaced Jim, Reid when he replaced Morrone) I just hope it will be a good coach... Thoughts?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Now, I'm wondering, who do you think could replace Geno when he retires? I think that we will fall (I mean look at the replacement coaches when they replaced legendary coaches here at UConn - PP to replace RE, Kevin replaced Jim, Reid when he replaced Morrone) I just hope it will be a good coach... Thoughts?
Not trying to dodge your question, but this thread is about Muffet. Threads about "who will replace Geno" have popped up now and again, with hundreds of replies. My point is; answering your question, or discussing it, would take a huge U-turn in the main topic of this thread.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
NCAA Suspends In-Person Recruiting Until May 31: In response to the coronavirus, the NCAA has suspended all in-person recruiting though May 31. Schools have also been asked to suspend official and unofficial visits. This time period will be treated similarly to a dead period, during which time phone calls and digital communication are still permitted. It’s possible the NCAA will decide to extend this date again.

quiet period = no contact

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Niele should be a good coach. Can she actually be better than Muffet? Don't know. That would be tough. We'll see. In any case, I expect she will be better than Holly W.

Niele is personable and has a reputation as a strong recruiter. But when I look at the kids who went to N.D., most of them seem like the typical N.D. recruits over the past 20+ years: kids from Catholic high schools, kids from the Northeast (especially N.J.), and kids from the Midwest and Lake States. Lindsay Allen fits the first group, the Mabreys fit the second, and KMac, Skylar, and Jewell fit the third. Sky was a great recruit, but she lived in South Bend. The one player who chose N.D. that seemed to be out of the norm was Brianna Turner. She was a great "get" for the Irish. What other elite player did Niele recruit who was out of their normal recruiting domain?
Don't know if you would consider her elite but Natalie Achonwa from Canada?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Don't know if you would consider her elite but Natalie Achonwa from Canada?
Borderline. But she came from the other side of the Great Lakes. Not all that different from KMac in Erie.

Did they get elite players from CA, FL, TX?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Why I dont like ND. Well for years they couldnt compete with UConn. Then ND got a couple of good players and UConn a team known for not fouling was called for numerous fouls against ND and only ND. Now with a new coach who is a very good recruter and I expect ND to get good recruits just like MD and LVille but will they be better then MD and LVille? It was the FLOP era of fouls

Last edited:
Reactions: mmt

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Brunelle signed when Niele was still recruiting coordinator although it was Beth Cunningham who joined Muffet on the home visit. I can't think of any other exceptions.

If you recruit those three areas well, though, there is ample opportunity to succeed.

The dismaying thing for me is that Louisville and Oregon are increasingly able to recruit nationally like previously only UConn, Stanford, and maybe Tennessee had.

So there is more competition even for the elite recruits in ND's typical geographic reach.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Dillon great takes. My feeling is ND is better off with Muffet retiring and Niele back. I for one felt she was missed last year more than people knew and without her ND was not going to recover from the 13-18 season quickly, despite Muffet's greatness. Whether it's xfrs or recruits, Niele will be a better selling point to close the deal for certain players. The ones destined for ND will still come and Muffet will still be in South Bend, much like John Wooden stayed at UCLA. Sky's take was looking to ND's future not a diss to Muffet.
Let's explore this growing urban legend of Niele Ivey the great closer recruiter for a second. Closer for who and when? Maybe @Dillon77 can refresh my memory about the recruita palooza even that was organized by Niele. Who was in attendance? Who has ND signed from the players that were there?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Brunelle signed when Niele was still recruiting coordinator although it was Beth Cunningham who joined Muffet on the home visit. I can't think of any other exceptions.

If you recruit those three areas well, though, there is ample opportunity to succeed.

The dismaying thing for me is that Louisville and Oregon are increasingly able to recruit nationally like previously only UConn, Stanford, and maybe Tennessee had.

So there is more competition even for the elite recruits in ND's typical geographic reach.

You missed a certain school that recruited as well nationally as any other school in the country. I aint gonna name that school....

Reaction Score
This was all so fast! Muffet goes, and within the hour, Ivey is named the new head coach. Obviously this was in the works for a while. I don't see any drop off with Ivey as the HC. In fact, with all the problems/issues at ND, I think she will stabilize the team and take ND back to the top 10.

UCONN should take note - I don't see any drop off any time soon for ND as far as future recruiting. Ivey was a huge force in them landing a bunch of top kids when she was there and is the perfect replacement.

We will have the same challenge when Geno chooses to retire... I hope we do it like ND did, and that the next UCONN HC is as respected and has as many WCBB contacts as Ivey.

You may well be giving an unproven, first time, head coach too much credit and overly high expectations. Look at all the failed assistants out there. It's a big jump from recruiting and sitting next to the head coach to running all aspects of a high level program.
Some have done it, but many more have been successful because of the challenges they overcame as head coaches at lower level programs where they were in charge and had to make the tough calls. Ivey's first big decision will be hiring a new assistant. Let's see who that is. If it's an ND alum with little meaningful experience she could be on the road to Ollieville.

Reaction Score
I hope ESPN does not play on playing all the UCONN vs ND games in which we lost.

They practically did it during the first couple weeks that would have seen tournament games, so why would they not continue it? They are an ACC school and ESPN partner conference so all that pumps up the ACC is fair game.

Reaction Score
I’m OK with ESPN showing all the ND games UConn lost, so long as they also show all the games UConn won.

Isn't it getting tiresome listening to how great ND (with Muffet) has done against UConn?

Let's look at the facts: Muffet's overall record against UConn--13 wins and 38 losses
Of those 13 UConn losses, 7 were in the 8 games played from April 2011 to March 2013.

Bottom line: Muffet had several great players in the three year period where they won 7 of 8 games played with UConn.

Other than that 8 game block, Muffet's record against UConn was 6 wins and37 losses.
Pat Summitt had 9 wins and 14 losses.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom