Muffet McGraw stepping down (merged threads) | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Muffet McGraw stepping down (merged threads)

Reaction Score
There is no doubt that Niele Ivey is both the obvious choice as well as the correct choice to replace MM. But a reminder to all, HW was both the obvious and correct choice to replace Pat. Both Ivie & HW served as the right-hand to their legendary mentors and both were outstanding recruiters.

There is a significant difference between being a HC and an assistant. Some like Geno, can seemingly make that transition seamlessly. Others like HW never quite get there.

It is my sincere hope that Ivie is successful, because I love the edge of your seat battles between the Huskies and the Irish every year. Honestly, UConn’s blowout win this past year was something of a letdown.

I hope the life and death battles with ND continue for many years to come. I also hope the the Huskies come out on top in every single game.
Life and death battles on a basketball court seems like a wrong choice of words in these times

Reaction Score
The only thing we learned is that nothing lasts forever. Even the UConn dynasty will come to an end at some point.

Reaction Score
All depends on how you look at it. :)
As mentioned, Sky is close to MM and exceedingly close to Ivey and (probably...huh!) has some strong ideas on what kind of player would like/love to play for her (as opposed to MM).
ND has a history of having very straightforward talking coaches and players who sometimes don't bother with context that well! ;)
Dillon great takes. My feeling is ND is better off with Muffet retiring and Niele back. I for one felt she was missed last year more than people knew and without her ND was not going to recover from the 13-18 season quickly, despite Muffet's greatness. Whether it's xfrs or recruits, Niele will be a better selling point to close the deal for certain players. The ones destined for ND will still come and Muffet will still be in South Bend, much like John Wooden stayed at UCLA. Sky's take was looking to ND's future not a diss to Muffet.

Reaction Score
Whoa! The world really is shaking up, its going to be strange to not have her to root against. As a retiree myself, though I wish her all the best, safety and healthy retirement!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Have not been on the Boneyard for couple days...wow, this is an unexpected turn of events. Never would have guesses this happening in a million years. Not the way a coach wants to go out after the seasons she just had.

In her extended interview yesterday she said she was going to remember the 2018 season as her last. She also said that she'd been fielding a number of calls from people in the sport, but not from Geno.

Reaction Score
I almost cried when Arike's shot went in at the buzzer to win the NC but I knew our team had their chances and failed to capitalize with a lead while ND kept pounding. I didn't hate them for winning but it will always be as disappointed as I've ever been at the end of a game.

We all knew ND wasn't going to be a FF team in 2019-20 even if they had stayed healthy and not had some strange transfers that are common now. It was clear during the year Muffet wasn't enjoying herself. The head coach is ultimately responsible for the team but when I watch I saw nothing that resembled the team the last decade. None of us know as of this minute exactly why Muffet retired. We may learn later today, we may never know. I get there is no love lost for ND on this board and can understand it. However, anyone who coached with as much success as long as Muffet did deserves respect as a competitor and contributor to the game. One thing is for sure: if we have a season as we all hope next year there is at least one rivalry that will have a totally different feel to it.
I've never hated them for winning. I've always found it was enough to hate them just because they're Notre Dame (this dates back to way before I ever heard of women's basketball) :cool: :cool:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Hey there:
Here's an article by long-time Irish sports writer (Blue and Gold) Lou Somgyi that addresses a few of your questions and takes on some other issues as well. Hope it helps. He's very up-front about the recruiting issues that have hit ND the last few years....

The one item I really don't get though is why ANYONE would think she should or could be ND's Athletic Director? Her personality is not conducive to bringing disparate groups/coaches/programs together. As I have said many times, MM always coached with a "chip on her shoulder", an "us vs. them" mentality to want to prove herself or her team to the world. That doesn't work with larger groups and disparate teams. Heck, I admire her activism but I am not convinced she will elevate that role due to this personality issue. I get women need role models but MM's direct, in your face approach does not work well at the broadest levels and will alienate many who would want to help. Like I also said, I do see ESPN reaching out to bring her outspokenness to the airways as she would shake up the studio over "southern drawl" Andy, who brings very little to the table when discussing WCBB.

Reaction Score
Note I didn't say NC as I don't think the cheating occurred until Roy arrived and he turned a "blind eye" to it. We are at an interesting phase in WCBB as parity is now apparent and the first set of trail blazers are retired, retiring or about to retire (Barmore, Conradt, Summitt, McGraw, Blair, Vanderveer, Auriemma) so the next wave of successors is still trying to validate itself. Lady Techsters have failed mostly due to not being a P5 where as Tenn failed or is failing due to 2 main components, Pat's choice in hand picked assistant to lead and the fact her program always lacked an offensive flow and will doom Kelli Harper, in my estimation. Texas is struggling but is throwing money at the problem. ND is choosing one of it's own to keep the ship righted. Time will tell.
3. Not sure why Azzi Fudd would NOW reconsider ND given her aspiration to be an elite pro-player as this current version of the coach (Ivey) and the current construct of the team is unproven or worse, not good. How will that help her evolve? That's not to say Ivey won't eventually make an impact, I just don't think it will be within the next year or two due to a lack of elite players on the roster. Now if she gets some elite transfers, than maybe. Mik Vaughn, Anaya Peoples, Abby Prohaska and Sam Brunelle are all nice complimentary parts to team with 2 bona fide stars, which ND is clearly lacking. If the goal is to beat UConn, than this current rendition is really lacking. It will take 2, 3 or 4 years so would Fudd want to wait until she's a senior? Not buying it. I am not saying UConn if a foregone conclusion (it is though ;) ) just that ND is not the smart choice to beat UConn during her first 2 or 3 years. Stanford, SC, Baylor are all more logical destinations.

I like the choice ND made, it's logical, it's safe, it maintains the fan base, alumni, maintains or improves recruiting and satisfies the old coach. It may even stop the hemorrhage of transfers out that has plagued ND. It's just an "unknown" from a results perspective as Ivey has never run her own program.

Continue as you were...
Read this and see if you still think NC wasn't cheating until Roy arrived...

1587656941008.png

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In her extended interview yesterday she said she was going to remember the 2018 season as her last.
So I guess that the efforts of all of this past years ND players will have to be expunged? Leave it to MM to throw Shade on a group of individuals without thinking.

I am reminded just how much reverence Geno has for his first team at UConn, a team that worked their butts off and remains the only team in his 35 years as a HC with a losing record.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So I guess that the efforts of all of this past years ND players will have to be expunged? Leave it to MM to throw Shade on a group of individuals without thinking.

I am reminded just how much reverence Geno has for his first team at UConn, a team that worked their butts off and remains the only team in his 35 years as a HC with a losing record.
Silly Oldude, thinking MM actually uses rationale thought when stating her opinions and views. Do I think she meant to slight her last team, no, I do not, but did she slight them after every game in the pressers? Absolutely. That is, has been and always will be her style to motivate and is why I don't think she is the right person to lead any Athletic Department, Women's Coaching forum or any Activism campaign. She can be too toxic. Head bang

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I didn't know Storrs was Latin in derivation? ;) On the other hand, I wouldn't blame Geno for using the "Veni, Vidi, Vici" line at speaking engagements....
Well one of the two brothers who donated the land to start school was Augustus Storrs.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hah! :rolleyes: Context please (given the circumstances of the last 18 hours, I've probably written more posts than in the last three months combine). What was this dangling statement attached to?
Just having a little fun with you Dillon. Unfortunately if anyone from the Summitt is reading this page it will likely result in 29 page complaint to the NCAA, replete with french fries violations and phantom rides.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It seems that before the announcement MM and Neile should call each player together to share the news and reassure them. My next call would have gone to Azzi. A generational player deserves some love.
Coaches can’t call recruits whenever they like. The NCAA has rules about when contact can be made.

Muffet will be a “representative of ND’s basketball interest” (booster) even after she retires, the way a UConn grad like Diana or Maya are still UConn boosters.

Reaction Score
Wonder if they fixed the ceiling on that one?
The roofer, Marcus Aurelius Pantoni, sourced his marble from that one quarry in what is now Tuscany, and they had a difficult time replacing the panels that were broken during one of the bread riots in the early twenties (BC)
:p

Reaction Score
I don't have the time to read all of the posts to see if this issue was mentioned, but maybe the reason for Muffet stepping away is quite simple. She dodged a bullet on 9-11. Except for a twist of fate, followed by an airplane reservation cancellation, she would have perished as the flights out of Boston hit the towers. This is well documented. Those unfamiliar with this story can look it up. So, perhaps the pandemic has caused her to stop, take a breath, and smell the roses. At some point we all begin to realize how fleeting life is and that while we still have some time to make the most of it and reconnect with what is truly important , we should.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I don't have the time to read all of the posts to see if this issue was mentioned, but maybe the reason for Muffet stepping away is quite simple. She dodged a bullet on 9-11. Except for a twist of fate, followed by an airplane reservation cancellation, she would have perished as the flights out of Boston hit the towers. This is well documented. Those unfamiliar with this story can look it up. So, perhaps the pandemic has caused her to stop, take a breath, and smell the roses. At some point we all begin to realize how fleeting life is and that while we still have some time to make the most of it and reconnect with what is truly important , we should.

She was talked into driving down to Providence to take a different flight by Ohio State's Kevin McGuff, then a top ND assistant. Once everyone became aware of what was going on, those two were joined by ND Men's Basketball Coach Mike Brey (also in New England). They rented a car and drove home on I-95 and I-80 to ND. All three of them rarely acknowledge it now...

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
She was talked into driving down to Providence to take a different flight by Ohio State's Kevin McGuff, then a top ND assistant. Once everyone became aware of what was going on, those two were joined by ND Men's Basketball Coach Mike Brey (also in New England). They rented a car and drove home on I-95 and I-80 to ND. All three of them rarely acknowledge it now...

And, yes, she very much mentioned the time that the pandemic has given her to reassess what to do next.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom