Mizzou - South Carolina | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Mizzou - South Carolina

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I never understood the "protect the star players" whining. You know.. the "we came to see them play." Simple response is, "THEN DON'T FOUL." OR, every coach gets to select their "star player" of the game and they get six fouls. :)

Watching the game (And not the entire game at that) I'd say Wilson did get 6 fouls and probably more.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Whether the foul calls on Wilson were legitimate or not, Dawn really doesn’t do herself or her team any good by overreacting to the officiating. She would do far better by giving credit to Mizzou and acknowledging that she and her team have to do a better job in the future.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno often says fouling is a sign of immaturity. If you're a senior and likely winner of all of the player of the year awards, you should be mature enough not to foul out of a game. I would think that's the appropriate message to your star player.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
That's why I can't stand her, she has the most vulgar mouth of any WBB coach and that is NOT a good teaching tool for anyone. Geno, will sometime say a cuss word or two, but not a stream like she does during a game.
So where did you get your rose colored ears? :rolleyes:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Was reported that when Wilson fouled out, Dawn didn't send in a replacement player in the allotted time.

I thought that was the case. Dawn just sat on the bench and never sent a replacement in!

Classic passive-aggressive behavior. If you're going to be T'd up for a second time and kicked out of the game you might as well get your money's worth.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Whether the foul calls on Wilson were legitimate or not, Dawn really doesn’t do herself or her team any good by overreacting to the officiating. She would do far better by giving credit to Mizzou and acknowledging that she and her team have to do a better job in the future.

She needs a Chris Dailey to interject herself between Dawn and the refs so she won't be thrown out. DAWN! Copy Geno and get yourself a CD! ;)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Dawn's not used to Wilson being called for anything.

It was definitely a rough and tumble game, and I would be irritated playing Cunningham too, but South Carolina is not exactly a wall flower when it comes to physicality.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
After listening to the presser, I think the Conference should suspend her for at least one game, that is no way to treat the officials. The game was physical on both sides, but the officials called a good game from what I saw.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I didn't see the first two fouls called on Wilson.....none of the other three seemed to be all that questionable....I didn't know there was a separate fouling standard for possible players of the year but I sure wish there was.....

Yeah, can we sign up for that?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Wilson has a tendency to bulldoze her way in the post. She doesn't lower her shoulder (an obvious foul) because she doesn't have to - she's usually bigger and stronger than whoever is guarding her, so she can pretty much run them over. It's not like she does it all the time, but she gets away with it, seemingly, because of who she is.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
After listening to the presser, I think the Conference should suspend her for at least one game, that is no way to treat the officials. The game was physical on both sides, but the officials called a good game from what I saw.
I don't know about suspending Dawn, but a public rebuke by the SEC might be in order. Again, I will state that I like Dawn. She is a fierce competitor, but she is also the HC of the reigning national champions as well as the current coach of the US national team. As such, her actions and words are under a microscope and she needs to be cognizant of that fact.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
If I was an official in the SEC I would be very strict on the foul calls when it came to SC vs whoever. You don't dis the refs in a presser and get away with it. I remember years ago in a IU - Purdue game Bobby Knight got Teed for a second time. The next time they played the refs teed him again, he got mad a little later on a foul call and tossed a chair across the court. He was teed again left the game. The Big 10 suspended him for 2 or 3 games.

Reaction Score
Geno often says fouling is a sign of immaturity. If you're a senior and likely winner of all of the player of the year awards, you should be mature enough not to foul out of a game. I would think that's the appropriate message to your star player.

exactly..................it takes some skill and maturity to play with three fouls but its done all the time.................Wilson's fifth was pure frustration...........there was no need for her to push through that screen and thus leave the court with several minutes remaining............

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
exactly...it takes some skill and maturity to play with three fouls but its done all the time.......Wilson's fifth was pure frustration......there was no need for her to push through that screen and thus leave the court with several minutes remaining..
I think that is the reason why Jose pulled Laska out in yesterdays game, she was getting frustrated and didn't want her to do something stupid.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
exactly...it takes some skill and maturity to play with three fouls but its done all the time.......Wilson's fifth was pure frustration......there was no need for her to push through that screen and thus leave the court with several minutes remaining..
Think of Z's brilliant play in the 4th qtr vs ND saddled with 4 fouls.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
So where did you get your rose colored ears? :rolleyes:
From the VA, I'm deaf in one and 50% loss in the other, they are called Cross hearing aids. And they are beige colored not rose.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If I was an official in the SEC I would be very strict on the foul calls when it came to SC vs whoever. You don't dis the refs in a presser and get away with it. I remember years ago in a IU - Purdue game Bobby Knight got Teed for a second time. The next time they played the refs teed him again, he got mad a little later on a foul call and tossed a chair across the court. He was teed again left the game. The Big 10 suspended him for 2 or 3 games.
She got tossed out of the game. That's the punishment.

I'm not sure where this vitriol is coming from. It's like Dawn came to your houses and kicked your dog or something.

Reaction Score
Maybe like one back in the 70's and early 80's, but not now with the PC services a Drill Sergeant can't even get into their whinny faces and yell at them.
Not like the 70's when I was in the Navy. I got called every namein the book!!!!

Reaction Score
I don't know about suspending Dawn, but a public rebuke by the SEC might be in order. Again, I will state that I like Dawn. She is a fierce competitor, but she is also the HC of the reigning national champions as well as the current coach of the US national team. As such, her actions and words are under a microscope and she needs to be cognizant of that fact.
She needs to tone down a little, otherwise USBA might ask Geno to coach a couple of more years!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
She got tossed out of the game. That's the punishment.

I'm not sure where this vitriol is coming from. It's like Dawn came to your houses and kicked your dog or something.
You don't dis the refs like that in a presser, its just not professional. You do realize if she did that in FIBA she would be suspended one game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom