Mizzou - South Carolina | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Mizzou - South Carolina

Reaction Score
If I was an official in the SEC I would be very strict on the foul calls when it came to SC vs whoever. You don't dis the refs in a presser and get away with it. I remember years ago in a IU - Purdue game Bobby Knight got Teed for a second time. The next time they played the refs teed him again, he got mad a little later on a foul call and tossed a chair across the court. He was teed again left the game. The Big 10 suspended him for 2 or 3 games.
ae long as the refs call it tight both ways sounds like you are looking for payback. Knight wasn’t suspended for getting T’s it was throwing the chair Big difference .

Reaction Score
So much of Dawn's complaining is simply posturing and "gaming" the SEC officials and referees for the balance of her conference schedule. I do not like her attempts to bully, intimidate and influence the officiating of the games. I do not enjoy watching her scowl and I did not like the over-dramatization from her players seeking calls.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
ae long as the refs call it tight both ways sounds like you are looking for payback. Knight wasn’t suspended for getting T’s it was throwing the chair Big difference .
Actually part of the suspension was also his dissing of the refs after the game. The Big 10 said at the time they will not tolerate Coach Knight's conduct during and after the game, meaning the presser.

Reaction Score
She got tossed out of the game. That's the punishment.

I'm not sure where this vitriol is coming from. It's like Dawn came to your houses and kicked your dog or something.

I think some folks don't go for the us against the world attitude when the proof for that doesn't appear to be clear..............some coaches purposely encourage that theme to promote team chemistry but in this case I'm not so sure the refs were so awful that they should be demonized....................

Reaction Score
Knight was suspended one game and says it was throwing the chair and getting kicked out of game nothing bout refs

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I don't know about suspending Dawn, but a public rebuke by the SEC might be in order. Again, I will state that I like Dawn. She is a fierce competitor, but she is also the HC of the reigning national champions as well as the current coach of the US national team. As such, her actions and words are under a microscope and she needs to be cognizant of that fact.
I can agree with that, if she does it a second time then suspend her.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think some folks don't go for the us against the world attitude when the proof for that doesn't appear to be clear....some coaches purposely encourage that theme to promote team chemistry but in this case I'm not so sure the refs were so awful that they should be demonized.....
The UConn fan outrage seems disproportionate.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Wow, what a game. Missouri took away A'Ja and South Carolina couldn't do anything. It was a bad day for the gamecocks....A'Ja fouled out with 4 points, and Dawn Staley was ejected with 2 technical fouls.
All I can say is Missouri came in with a game plan, and they stuck to it. Having Sophia Cunningham isn't bad either. Sophia had her way with South Carolina today.

Reaction Score
IMG_5444.JPG
Dawn looked like she was full of herself leaving the court after the ejection. I’m still not convinced shes such a great coach.
Now this is how one should make an exit!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Knight was suspended one game and says it was throwing the chair and getting kicked out of game nothing bout refs
Ask any Purdue fan and they will also say he was suspended for the presser, he also was put on two years probation for the incident.

Reaction Score
Read the article says nothing about probation and 1 game was for chair and treatment of refs repeat offenses would increase a suspension

Reaction Score
Word is second technical was not putting a new player on the court in timely manner

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
He was suspended for throwing the chair. The abusive action was the chair toss.

KNIGHT SUSPENDED FOR GAME

He was put on probation for assaulting a player.

What if Bob Knight hadn't been fired?
Below is the article on the throwing incident, he got his second technical for throwing the chair. The probation was for the total incident, the chair and presser. He was also put on probation a second time near the end of his coaching career at IU for the assault of the player. Nan I'm a die hard Purdue fan, originally born and raised in West Lafayette and Lafayette, IN until I joined the Army.
1985: Knight chair throwing incident
The February 23, 1985 game at Bloomington between Purdue and Indiana would provide a defining moment in the Indiana-Purdue basketball rivalry. Just five minutes into the game, a scramble for a loose ball resulted in a foul call on Indiana's Steve Alford. Knight, irate, insisted the call should have been for a jump ball and seconds later after the Purdue inbounds, a subsequent foul was called on Daryl Thomas. Knight, ultimately received a technical foul and then preceded to throw a red plastic chair from Indiana's bench across the floor toward the basket. Knight then received a 2nd technical and was ejected from the game.

Knight was ejected, but he received a standing ovation as he left the floor from the home crowd at Assembly Hall, and the crowd quickly became hostile and dangerous. Fans went so far as to throw coins at the Purdue bench after Knight's ejection. Despite the crowd, Purdue went on to defeat Indiana 72–63 on their way to a 20–9 season, while Indiana finished the year 16–13 and missed the NCAA tournament.

Knight apologized for his actions the next day and was given a one-game suspension and two years probation from the Big Ten. Since the incident, Knight has occasionally joked about throwing the chair. A common joke told by Knight is that he saw an old lady standing on the opposite sideline and threw her the chair so she could sit down. The picture of Knight throwing the red plastic chair across the floor in front of Reid has since become the symbol of the Indiana-Purdue rivlary. Replays of the toss have been shown during nearly every match-up at Mackey Arena since 1985.[15][16]

Reaction Score
That's what Tennessee fans used to say about Geno. I refuse to let the Boneyard turn into the Summit.

I would be happy to remove Dawn's name from my post and objectify it by saying that I do not approve of any WBB coach posturing and "gaming" the governing officials with attempts to bully, intimidate and influence the officiating of the games. I strongly contend that if that behavior is permitted it will take WBB to a place it does not need to go.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom