Mizzou - South Carolina | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Mizzou - South Carolina

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Dawn looked like she was full of herself leaving the court after the ejection. I’m still not convinced shes such a great coach.

Dawn is a very good coach. I'd cut her some slack on leaving the court. Regardless of whether the technicals are deserved or even desired, walking off the court in an opponent's heated gym in an emotional game has to be very difficult. There have been several coaches over the years who have not looked their best in that situation.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Dawn's quote about Wilson and her status raises an issue I've heard on broadcasts before (Doris?): should a player's stature in the game affect how fouls are called against that player?

I only saw 2 of the fouls called against Wilson in today's game and both seemed legitimate calls. Maybe Wilson shouldn't foul.
The 3 that I saw were legit, don't know about the other 2.

Reaction Score
I didn’t watch the game, but am curious as to what you, and other SC fans felt about the reffing. Fair or biased?

It was the same officiating crew that called the game last year. Some calls were legit other calls( like cunningham swinging her elbows at defenders)was not.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
That comment can be taken a number of ways:
- officials should treat star players differently because they are stars and should be allowed to play their way.
- stars are so skilled that they don’t commit fouls
- the star power hasn’t reached the officials as yet

Pick one:rolleyes:
For Dawn it's #1 and #3

Reaction Score
I didn’t watch the game, but am curious as to what you, and other SC fans felt about the reffing. Fair or biased?

It was the same officiating crew that called the game last year. Some calls were legit other calls( like cunningham swinging her elbows at defenders)was not.

Reaction Score
I didn't see the first two fouls called on Wilson....................none of the other three seemed to be all that questionable...................I didn't know there was a separate fouling standard for possible players of the year but I sure wish there was...............

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
EXACTLY NAN!! A lot of coaches cuss it's not new! Asia Durr in her interview stated Jeff Walz likes to cuss!! I knew some people didn't like Dawn for her stoic attitude but the way MSG was going in you would have thought she stole his/her candy !!
Geno does not swear at the refs like Dawn does, he mostly swears at the team when they aren't listening to him or playing the way HE thinks they should. And it's HIS candy for you information.

Reaction Score
Dawn is a very good coach. I'd cut her some slack on leaving the court. Regardless of whether the technicals are deserved or even desired, walking off the court in an opponent's heated gym in an emotional game has to be very difficult. There have been several coaches over the years who have not looked their best in that situation.

I didn't think she did anything wrong walking off the court...............just a couple of goodbye waves which were nothing like the waves she was getting from the crowd...................

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
EXACTLY NAN!! A lot of coaches cuss it's not new! Asia Durr in her interview stated Jeff Walz likes to cuss!! I knew some people didn't like Dawn for her stoic attitude but the way MSG was going in you would have thought she stole his/her candy !!
Geno is hysterical about it, though. When you see pictures of the UConn player with towels over their faces it's because they're trying not to fall on the floor laughing.

I don't know where the Dawn-hating comes from. UConn fans don't usually ridicule friends of Geno's.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Dawn's quote about Wilson and her status raises an issue I've heard on broadcasts before (Doris?): should a player's stature in the game affect how fouls are called against that player?

I only saw 2 of the fouls called against Wilson in today's game and both seemed legitimate calls. Maybe Wilson shouldn't foul.

The ironic thing is Wilson gets more calls in her favor than any player I can think of since she's been in college. And she's not above swinging those elbows at people either.

Reaction Score
Geno is hysterical about it, though. When you see pictures of the UConn player with towels over their faces it's because they're trying not to fall on the floor laughing.

I don't know where the Dawn-hating comes from. UConn fans don't usually ridicule friends of Geno's.

I find her game day demeanor to be downright intimidating but I met her along with my daughter during the USA Olympic Team Tour at MSG and she was actually quite charming and friendly.................

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Where are you getting this from? I've sat behind the bench - he swears all the time.

One of his favorites to officials: "What the [expletive] was that?" A couple of years ago during a game he asked Bob Trammel about another official who made a call he didn't like: "Who the [expletive] is this guy?"

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

Nan I don't hate Dawn, I just get tired of her thinking that if you are a star you should get different treatment. Those 3 fouls that I saw she complained about them and they were legit calls. She complained last year after they lost to Mizzou for the same reason. The only team that has complained about Mizzou's physical play has been SC.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
One of his favorites to officials: "What the [expletive] was that?" A couple of years ago during a game he asked Bob Trammel about another official who made a call he didn't like: "Who the [expletive] is this guy?"
Didn't he famously swear at the official at the Rutgers Cappie-gate game? That was some breath-taking, world-class expletives there.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Didn't he famously swear at the official at the Rutgers Cappie-gate game? That was some breath-taking, world-class expletives there.

He asked Dennis Demayo to tell Matee Ajavon to shut the hell up. Pretty tame, actually.

Speaking of, CViv's language can be quite colorful as well.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Go back and look with an unbiased eye and a lot of what was going on was horrible officiating. Look Mizzou got the win, but they play dirty to compensate. Ask any other SEC school and the opinion of how they play is that it is very dirty. The fact that these were the same officials that called last year's Mizzou upset of South Carolina is strange in the least. Lest they will come to Carolina on Jan 28, and I don't thing we will be our normal congenial selves. Well that is basketball, but just wish women's officiating could be upgraded around the country.

Not sure what game you watched.

SC fans say their team plays "physical." But says Mizzou plays "dirty?" LOL.

Plenty of fouls -- and a lot that weren't called. Watch the video and tell me which of Wilson's five fouls were bad calls.

SC got out-coached and out-played on national TV. Deal with it.

If the rest of the team allows Wilson to be double and triple teamed like she was today, they're going to lose a few more.

Is Mizzou a better team overall than SC? Probably not.

But they were today. Refs or no refs.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Dawn's Press Conference: Don't know if its complete.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I never understood the "protect the star players" whining. You know.. the "we came to see them play." Simple response is, "THEN DON'T FOUL." OR, every coach gets to select their "star player" of the game and they get six fouls. :)

Reaction Score
Geno does not swear at the refs like Dawn does, he mostly swears at the team when they aren't listening to him or playing the way HE thinks they should. And it's HIS candy for you information.

You are RIGHT GENO DOES NOT SWEAR! During a game he gets so involved mentally--it becomes a religious moment and he being "speaking in tongues"====were you at the game when he walked on water?? (I don't know who spilled it)

Reaction Score
I never understood the "protect the star players" whining. You know.. the "we came to see them play." Simple response is, "THEN DON'T FOUL." OR, every coach gets to select their "star player" of the game and they get six fouls. :)

The obvious other side is: There are fouls and there are FOULs. If all fouls were called the players would never leave the foul line. When determining whether YOUR player or the opponent fouled---it really depend whether it is you horse that was gored. When your team is not playing in that game it is a bit easier to be objective.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom