Mizzou - South Carolina | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Mizzou - South Carolina

Reaction Score
Ask any Purdue fan and they will also say he was suspended for the presser, he also was put on two years probation for the incident.

MSG: Re "ask any Purdue fan," did you ever have the chance to visit the men's room at the old Oak on the main drag in downtown Lafayette after the chair toss? In addition to having the two urinals painted in the Indiana U colors of cream and crimson, there was a little crimson chair bolted to the men's room wall with a plaque explaining to the Purdue faithful that Knight had simply noticed a little old lady on the other side of the court and , gentleman that he is, decided to help her out by tossing a chair to her cross court. More importantly, God Bless you and yours for you service; stay well.

Reaction Score
Just saw it wasn’t in the one I read which is the one Nan posted

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
MSG: Re "ask any Purdue fan," did you ever have the chance to visit the men's room at the old Oak on the main drag in downtown Lafayette after the chair toss? In addition to having the two urinals painted in the Indiana U colors of cream and crimson, there was a little crimson chair bolted to the men's room wall with a plaque explaining to the Purdue faithful that Knight had simply noticed a little old lady on the other side of the court and , gentleman that he is, decided to help her out by tossing a chair to her cross court. More importantly, God Bless you and yours for you service; stay well.
No I've only been back to Lafayette twice since the incident and was visiting either family or old school mates, thanks, and may God Bless you and yours, stay well also.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Just saw it wasn’t in the one I read which is the one Nan posted
No problem, if you didn't follow the Big 10 back then most people forget that he was also put under probation. He is to my knowledge the only Big 10 basketball coach, Men's or Women's that was put on probation more than once.

Reaction Score
I read four articles including two from the 80’s didn’t mention it only the one by Bob Kravitz from 2015 mentioned it

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Word is second technical was not putting a new player on the court in timely manner
Question is it still one minute or have they changed it.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Have you ever gone to Bruno's and have their Pizza?

Reaction Score
I think some folks don't go for the us against the world attitude when the proof for that doesn't appear to be clear....some coaches purposely encourage that theme to promote team chemistry but in this case I'm not so sure the refs were so awful that they should be demonized.....
You mean calling the conference powers before the game and complaining about the scheduled officials was wrong!!! Head bang :D
Dawn got thrown out of a game on purpose and looked like a high school freshman coach doing it. There were some fouls for her to complain about but there were also some flops of major theatrical ability.
She completely dropped the ball today on how to get teed up and inspire her team. Instead she stood for herself and her attitude, waved to the fans on the way out.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
You mean calling the conference powers before the game and complaining about the scheduled officials was wrong!!! Head bang :D
Dawn got thrown out of a game on purpose and looked like a high school freshman coach doing it. There were some fouls for her to complain about but there were also some flops of major theatrical ability.
She completely dropped the ball today on how to get teed up and inspire her team. Instead she stood for herself and her attitude, waved to the fans on the way out.
What would people say if Geno had called the AAC on who is refereeing before the game.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The ironic thing is Wilson gets more calls in her favor than any player I can think of since she's been in college. And she's not above swinging those elbows at people either.
Abso...freakin...lutely! I want to like Wilson but her demeanor and inability to control herself as a "star" player sort of irritates. And yes, it also irritates me when DT behaves like that (sorry fellow BYers). I watched the game today and all the fouls were earned. Dawn, herself knows of Wilson propensity for fouls and is why she took her out after the second foul late in the 1Q and didn't put her back in until 3Q. This team is short on experience and some of the others need to step up to help beside Harris. That said, Cunningham played possessed today (and also plays with a bit of an edge). I like Mizzou and this was my first chance to see them for a full game. I think the SEC is MSU a gap and then SC, Mizzou, Tenn, TAM and even Georgia may be for real this year. Tenn has a rough 4 game stretch coming up so we will see how real they are.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I don't know about suspending Dawn, but a public rebuke by the SEC might be in order. Again, I will state that I like Dawn. She is a fierce competitor, but she is also the HC of the reigning national champions as well as the current coach of the US national team. As such, her actions and words are under a microscope and she needs to be cognizant of that fact.
Yeah! Just like Bobby Knight used to...uh, umm, scratch that...:confused:

I was on page 4 of this thread and typed this in BEFORE the I read that the rest of the BY also thinks exactly like I do (or I think exactly like them) and I realized I was late to the party... sorry...but the linkage is pretty similar. Dawn should not be suspended but some sort of a rebuke should occur.

Reaction Score
Compared to his antics as a young HC 30+ years ago, Geno acts more like Mother Theresa these days....keeping in mind that I’m speaking in relative terms only. :rolleyes:
Even mother Theresa had dark side!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
So, let me see if I have this right - when he was a younger coach, Geno was a lunatic all over the court, swore at refs (still does), got himself tossed out of game for his antics - and yet, the UConn fans are defending or finding some excuse for him. Dawn does exactly the same thing so she and, and according to one person, her team are classless, should be reprimanded/suspended, and apparently not fit to be the Olympic coach. What am I hearing? It had better not be that it's OK for a man to act that way but not for a woman.

One more thing - stop making stuff up and presenting it as proof of whatever position you're defending. If you're going to cast aspersions on a person, you'd better be able to support your statement with facts, not your feelings that you think should be facts. We have a rule against harmful speculation (the rules are tacked to the top of the board) and that includes not making harmful speculation about coaches because, as I stated earlier, I have no intention of letting a handful of fans drag the Boneyard into Summitt territory and flinging crap at people you've taken a dislike to is a fine way to do that.

Reaction Score
One of his favorites to officials: "What the [expletive] was that?" A couple of years ago during a game he asked Bob Trammel about another official who made a call he didn't like: "Who the [expletive] is this guy?"

Yeah but when Geno swears in his Italian dialect it must be adorable. :D

Reaction Score
In the end, it was quite a game. Missouri played inspired ball. They had people who fouled out too. IMHO ... and others... Wilson's fouls were legit. I dunno about Dawn's Technical fouls and won't speculate. But what troubles me most was her statement that her star and "best player in the country played only half the game." And impling it was some one else's fault. Wilson played half the game because she got called for trying to push people around the court AND because she spent some injury time on the bench after what looked like a freak accidental "meeting of the minds" with a Missouri player.

The "star" players should not have different standards as to how fouls are called by refs...but should make themselves play to a "higher standard."

Just sayin'

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I watched the entire game. Mizzou was patient on offense which forced SC to play defense. SC did a pretty good job playing defense but at times their defense broke down. For the most part Mizzou controlled the pace of the game. Mizzou made a couple or pretty unbelievable shots when it looked like SC was making a come back. Mizzou did a really good job locking up Wilson. They were prepared and forced her to take ill advised shots. Mizzou outrebounded SC. SC needed somebody to step up and take over the game and that didnt happen. Wilson had a bad day and nobody stepped up.

The foul calls. Well I gotta say Mizzou was up double digets most of the second half and I think that had something to do with SC not having enough balance on offense to pick up on Wilsons off game. SC settled for to many outside shots and not enough getting the ball down low. Wilson had an off game and Mizzou had something to do with that so get her away from the basket maybe up top and open up the middle for those quick guards to dribble penetrate or give Wilson a 15 footer. If it was a close game and it came down to some questionable calls late in the game I could see the argument on bad calls. Alot of the calls were due to Mizzou controlling the tempo of the game, and SC not able to speed it up. When you depend on one player to take over a game and that player is having an off game you have a good chance of losing.

I am looking forward to the Tenn SC game with 6'6 Russel and 6'5 Wilson. Then 6'6 Stevens and 6'5 Wilson against UConn.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I watched the entire game. Mizzou was patient on offense which forced SC to play defense. SC did a pretty good job playing defense but at times their defense broke down. For the most part Mizzou controlled the pace of the game. Mizzou made a couple or pretty unbelievable shots when it looked like SC was making a come back. Mizzou did a really good job locking up Wilson. They were prepared and forced her to take ill advised shots. Mizzou outrebounded SC. SC needed somebody to step up and take over the game and that didnt happen. Wilson had a bad day and nobody stepped up.

The foul calls. Well I gotta say Mizzou was up double digets most of the second half and I think that had something to do with SC not having enough balance on offense to pick up on Wilsons off game. SC settled for to many outside shots and not enough getting the ball down low. Wilson had an off game and Mizzou had something to do with that so get her away from the basket maybe up top and open up the middle for those quick guards to dribble penetrate or give Wilson a 15 footer. If it was a close game and it came down to some questionable calls late in the game I could see the argument on bad calls. Alot of the calls were due to Mizzou controlling the tempo of the game, and SC not able to speed it up. When you depend on one player to take over a game and that player is having an off game you have a good chance of losing.

I am looking forward to the Tenn SC game with 6'6 Russel and 6'5 Wilson. Then 6'6 Stevens and 6'5 Wilson against UConn.

Thanks for thoughtful unbiased analysis.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

But as you know Tony
When you play UConn, it's not exactly Wilson against Z
Z may not even guard her most of the time.
Teeny-tiny Gaby does a pretty good job

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Question is it still one minute or have they changed it.

It is 15 seconds, and they changed it a couple years ago, but only from 20 seconds to 15.

I was looking it up, because I thought it had been a minute relatively recently, but apparently not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom