Megan Walker Goes Pro [merged thread] | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Megan Walker Goes Pro [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A lot more players than you might think graduate in three years (or close to it). Must be those summer sessions. Ionescu graduated in three years. Sabally is doing the same. I remember Anriel Howard graduated from Texas A&M In three years and ended up grad transferring to MSU. Graduating in three years gives players options. Oh, there’s Kelsey Mitchell too.
If she was graduating this year don't you think they would have said it with the turning pro information.

Reaction Score
Didn't expect to read that. I guess @cbraarj is ready to move on without Walker. Expectations apparently not met.
IMO the chemistry will be alot better from day 1 and that alone should help the freshmen transition. I really think Evina can be a better teammate and overall player than Megan. I wish her well with her decision but IMO she decided this awhile ago and could end up not playing any ball until winter. Be suprised if the WNBA plays this year. She made a decision for herself and being a fan I hope she does well in her life.

Reaction Score
Good luck to her. Business decision wise I don’t think it was a smart decision. She needs to develop more. Never developed a killer instinct and reached her true potential.
She is project as first round pick. Business wise probably a good decision. You never can tell what may happen next year for her draft wise but she was not likely to go any higher than expected for this year.

Reaction Score
I think we will continue to see more and more of this. We really don't know what the league will look like this summer. Walker had a very good year overall and has put herself in position to be a high pick.

Do I think she could develop more? Of course she can. Would she have benefited from another year of Geno's coaching? Yes. Do I know why these players do this? I certainly understand.

Reaction Score
I'm going to treat Megan as I do all other college kids, that they their Bachelor. It is quite possible that she has enough to complete her degree by the summer (Of course C-19 has complicated matters). When I left the Univ. I was one of the lucky ones who were leaving for/to a job. Most were still waiting and weighing options. If Megan is leaving for the WNBA-- a job, good for her; she is ahead of many of her peers. Yes, I too would like her to stay another year but, upon closer look it has more to do with me then her. Also, some of the European players are unlikely to stay for 4-years if they are not in the natural sciences or engineering. Why? Most of the other disciplines are too general to qualify you for a job (at the BA level). FX, a Psy-BA from an American Univ isn't an opportunity to work as a psy-person. So, someone like Anna would not be helping herself with certain degrees if she is planning on returning to Poland.

Secondly, Geno knows a lot more than he says about players. Who is to say that Megan and the coaches hadn't have a conversation about what she needed to do this past summer (re: body/diet, etc) and during League play should she leave after the season. I would be surprise. Unless of course there are problems and she is being pushed out; hardly an imagine situation in the views here. (Geno/Uconn is a master at marketing players and he has been do that for Megan all season; as he did lasy year for Pheesa) And do we really think Geno would be surprise and disappointed if Evina W leaves after a good year! Good Luck and many Thanks Megan W.

Reaction Score
She always seemed off to me the past 3 years. She was so good coming out of high school. She never seemed genuinely happy when i saw her. Maybe part of it was that weight gain she had said and she had mentioned it didn’t make her feel like herself. Either way she was great this season and I’m sure will develop into a very nice pro.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
a big time transfer at the 4 would certainly have a shot at plenty of minutes
Maybe, but you’re probably talking about a quality starter and grad transfer, unless the NCAA dramatically changes the transfer rules as some have speculated. Those types of transfers are extremely rare.

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
A few weeks ago we were all wondering how everybody would get playtime. Now there is some room. Remember Meg is one of our girls. Meg is somebodys daughter, sister, granddaughter etc. Treat her with the same respect that you would want your daughter to have. I have 3 daughters a wife and a mother in law. I wouldnt want to read some of the posts on here about them. Most of us dont know everything and speculation is sometimes hurtfull. UConn is loaded and will be loaded for the next few years with the verbals and commitments we have. We will be fine.

IMO and I have no inside information on this, if you dont think the coaches knew she was planning on leaving well I would have to disagree. As a player you have to know where your positioned in the draft and there may be circumstances where money is involved and needed. We dont know. Meg would need to consult with her others to get a feel of what chance she has to play at the next level. I know one thing is for sure....I dont know but I know I dont know. Some posts make me feel that fans are letting their emotions get in the way because of their love for the team. Understand you need to know that you dont know.

Meg is a great player and feels her time has come. Respect her decision and cheer her. UConn will be fine. Remember we've got Geno.

Reaction Score
I for one think MW had a terrific year. Some of you posters are just too negative, Hey, what if it was you daughter? Meg go get the gold you deserve it! I’ll miss you but .......I’ll also be rooting for you to make it in the WNBA big-time!

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I thought Megan was a selfish player especially in the first 15 to 20 games. IMO that helped the chemistry not to develop like it should have. Megan was all about herself! It did get better towards the end of the season but she did choke in the 3 games against elite competition and for that doesn't deserve being an AA!
I agree completely. What I saw, and posted previously, was in the first part of the year it appeared to me meg would not give the ball to Anna and Aubrey and only rarely to Liv. Her favorite target appeared to be Crystal and would make a more difficult pass to CD even than an open CW. The team improved when she began to incorporate the freshmen and Liv more. But still often did not make the extra pass to a more open player. If she had a shot she took it instead of making the extra pass. I was concerned about how the integration of 5 new players would be hampered by my perception of her selfish play. I admire her ability as a player, but in all actuality, by January it will be addition by subtraction. Again in my opinion it is a win/win. I hope the best for her and the resultant UConn team going forward.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
perhaps by the end of the year, but don't count out Evina. She has the experience, ability, and personality to lead this team.
As you point out, unlike Megan, Evina is an extrovert (think Lou). While she hasn’t been around Storrs very long, Evina certainly has the personality to be a team leader.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Maybe, but you’re probably talking about a quality starter and grad transfer, unless the NCAA dramatically changes the transfer rules as some have speculated. Those types of transfers are extremely rare.

for sure. It’s not a sure thing. But to say there’s no minutes left when this team needs more rebounding and size up front, I think is inaccurate.

i like griffins potential. But she’s not a slam dunk all American in 2020

Reaction Score
i for one think MW had a terrific year. Some of you posters are just too negative, Hey, what if it was you daughter? Meg go get the gold you deserve it! I’ll miss you but .......I’ll also be rooting for you to make it in the WNBA big-time!
I would be telling my daughter to stay in school and get her degree because she will not be a basketball player her whole life.

the Q

Reaction Score
As you point out, unlike Megan, Evina is an extrovert (think Lou). While she hasn’t been around Storrs very long, Evina certainly has the personality to be a team leader.

Just to be clear, introverts can be leaders. Strong silent types who lead by example.

they’re the first in the gym/weight room

being an introvert just means they recharge away from people and don’t gain energy by interacting with people.

the Q

Reaction Score
I would be telling my daughter to stay in school and get her degree because she will not be a basketball player her whole life.

she probably should be playing ball for at least a decade. And if she make good 6 figures over seas at 21....hard to say not to do that. She can set up an investment portfolio so she’d never have to work again either way.

question for the finance professionals, can she get up a 529 or coverdell for herself to pay for school tax free when she’s done playing?

Reaction Score
Was she truly going to reach her "potential" playing another year at UCONN?
I guess not if one believes playing under the guidance of Geno and his staff another year, as part of a winning organization that’s pitted against challenging competition, means very little in respect to future growth.

Reaction Score
I am not going to question her decision, but I have to disagree with your “alpha” comment. She was not and is not an “alpha.”
I disagree, she was our alpha and this was her learning year as to how to lead and be a team leader vocally or physically. I think people forget she only really played one season before this one. Next year had she stayed, she had all of the qualities to be an alpha and lead this team to the title. Pheesa and Lou just left so this was new to her. There’s not a doubt in my mind that she would have led us to the promised land next year......not a doubt!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I disagree, she was our alpha and this was her learning year as to how to lead and be a team leader vocally or physically. I think people forget she only really played one season before this one. Next year had she stayed, she had all of the qualities to be an alpha and lead this team to the title. Pheesa and Lou just left so this was new to her. There’s not a doubt in my mind that she would have led us to the promised land next year......not a doubt!
This team sure could have used some of that vocal leadership, ;leadership by example, or a spark THIS season. Megan did not deliver it. Even on a team that included KLS and Napheesa there was room for leadership and an occasional spark as was delivered (at times) by freshman Christyn Williams and junior Crystal Dangerfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom