Megan Walker Goes Pro [merged thread] | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Megan Walker Goes Pro [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Please stop with the “we’re better without Megan” refrain. Not true.

I agree with the above...but, it is fair to say that with the incoming freshmen class and the improvements from the returning players that next year's team has the potential to be better than this year's team was. Further, it should be noted that if Megan has stayed then there would have been no reason for the NCAA teams to even bother playing their games...they could save a lot of time and energy by just giving UConn the National Championship Trophy. What you say? Well, if Dawn Staley can have her hand out...then why not UConn :)

Reaction Score
We're not going to be better next season. We're losing our three year starting PG who was one of the best PGs in the country, and the #1 player from the class of 2017. ONO and CW are going to have to improve big time this summer.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We're not going to be better next season. We're losing our three year starting PG who was one of the best PGs in the country, and the #1 player from the class of 2017. ONO and CW are going to have to improve big time this summer.
It’s far too soon to make that assessment. Crystal was great, but Paige could be the best pg to ever play at UConn, including DT, and she will be backed up by a really good pg in Nika with pro experience. In addition, there were two #1 players from the Class of 2017, depending on the rating group. One was Megan. The other was Evina.

Beyond that, you can absolutely take to the bank that Liv, Christyn, Anna & Aubrey will all be better next season. I also have high expectations that Aaliyah, fresh off the Canadian National team, will be an immediate contributor up front.

Let’s just see what Geno and his staff can whip up with next year’s team before we prematurely write them off.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Mike Anthony was rather candid and harsh. I’m sure Meg knew she would draw some criticism. I was surprised that some folks who replied to the UConn WBB IG posting were downright nasty. Meg’s task is to prove them wrong.

In terms of the off-the-court issues, we know about:

The unexpected denial of Evina’s waiver request.

Batouly’s lingering injury.

Geno’s condition and surgery.

Jasmine’s absence and Jamelle’s return.

Kobe’s and Gianna’s deaths.

Kyla’s nasty injury last Sunday.

That’s a lot!! Was there even more? Was there something that especially impacted Meg? We don’t know. UConn is usually extremely discreet about internal matters.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mike Anthony was rather candid and harsh. I’m sure Meg knew she would draw some criticism. I was surprised that some folks who replied to the UConn WBB IG posting were downright nasty. Meg’s task is to prove them wrong.

That’s a lot!! Was there even more? Was there something that especially impacted Meg? We don’t know. UConn is usually extremely discreet about internal matters.
Add Kyla's injury ....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Your list was off-the-court issues.
Injuries can be off the court after they happen.

Regardless of the category, it was something the team had to deal with and was very emotional.

Last edited:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

I think you could also add that she was the only member of her recruiting class left. She comes in expecting to play four years with those girls and she wakes up her junior year as the last chicken standing. Psychologically, that has to do something to you.

Reaction Score

There was some horrible stuff said on IG. Saying thanks and good luck is all that should have been said. People suck!!

Reaction Score
If Meg had gone down with a torn ACL in November that would have been a disaster. We have enough talent and the coaches to figure out how to use that talent in the next 8 months to remedy Meg’s loss. Some people say we will be better off without Meg, many say we won’t. I think we’ll just be different and I can hardly wait.

Reaction Score
After reading a bunch of these posts, it occurred to me that Megan has gotten more than her share of negative comments over the past 3 years. Maybe she had enough. They are kids, I know adults who couldn’t put up with the criticism that these guys sometimes are subjected to. As I said in a previous post I think she had decided to go no matter what. She could not wait to see if the WNBA season was canceled, because if it was, there would have been no excuse to leave. Megan was likely just ready to move on, no matter what the reason.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
There was some horrible stuff said on IG. Saying thanks and good luck is all that should have been said. People suck!!

Some of it was awful! I don’t like the decision, but I agree with her right to decide for herself and support her regardless.
I am glad that I don't have an IG account or even know how it works.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Husky Nation should be concerned about our image. Are we rabid fans in a constructive way, or are we selfish people who care only about wins, losses, and margins of victory? Let’s make playing at UConn as positive an experience as possible. We’ve heard horror stories about nasty and vindictive fans at Tennessee. Let’s not be like them!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I think Husky Nation should be concerned about our image. Are we rabid fans in a constructive way, or are we selfish people who care only about wins, losses, and margins of victory? Let’s make playing at UConn as positive an experience as possible. We’ve heard horror stories about nasty and vindictive fans at Tennessee. Let’s not be like them!
Like it or not, Jewell Loyd was the paradigm-shifter. Before her early declaration, I didn't even know players could declare for the W only 3 years out of high school. Since then, the "new normal" is for everyone to scramble to check birthdates to know which seniors are draft-eligible and which aren't.

We saw how nasty the Tennessee fans were when Evina did the unthinkable and transferred to the hated UConn Huskies. Megan isn't transferring; she's just going pro, which is a dream for any athlete. Please let's not begrudge that. Show a little grace.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Lexi Gordon took notice as well.

Reaction Score
People can disagree with Meg’s decision, but how and where they express that—and how personal they make it—make a huge difference. Civility matters!

What is IG?

I thought on here overall was fine. Some harsh but not "brutal."

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Lexi Gordon took notice as well.

I don't really know much about Twitter but do have an account. If I am reading it right, I do like her reaction to the tweet concerning the Manthony of the Courant "tweet(?)".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom