Megan Walker Goes Pro [merged thread] | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Megan Walker Goes Pro [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
she probably should be playing ball for at least a decade. And if she make good 6 figures over seas at 21....hard to say not to do that. She can set up an investment portfolio so she’d never have to work again either way.

question for the finance professionals, can she get up a 529 or coverdell for herself to pay for school tax free when she’s done playing?
The choice isn't between "stay in school and never play pro ball" or "play pro ball now". The choice is "stay in school, get your degree for free, improve your game, build up your body more, win a NC, try to be a POY nationally, and then play pro ball" or "play pro ball now." There may not even be a league this year. Then what? As for the "getting hurt" issue, there is the same risk playing in the pros, in fact it is higher because it is two leagues in two seasons. It's not like she will be signing a multiyear multimillion dollar contract after April 17. In addition, she can purchase insurance against injury now. Finally, I sincerely doubt that she will be set up for life financially even if she plays a decade which is certainly not a given. The prospective earnings are just not that great. She isn't Diana or Breanna. I just disagree with the choice as do many others and I don't understand it but the fact that she made it brought many other factors about her that were pointed out in the prior posts into sharp focus and I am now looking forward to a very cohesive and fun team next season.

Reaction Score
some think that the freshman point guard from Minnesota will be very much that kind of player...........
The swag is coming. She took over Hopkins in 8th grade. Stewie had it Maya, Sabrina, I saw it in Harris this year. Chrystal has it. She took over in the big games when no one else would. She will do fine in the WNBA

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Mike Anthony weighs in on Megan Walker departure. Hint. :confused::confused::confused:

I agree with much of what Mike offers. Had I been advising Megan about her choices at this time in her basketball career, I would have urged her to consider finding a better time to leave for the pros.

1. The COVID-19 virus casts a huge shadow of uncertainty about the near future of the WNBA. She could easily declare and find herself without a league (anywhere on the planet) to play in.
2. Her game skills are still somewhat uncertain. To her credit, she did visibly improve her one-on-one defense, and she made a sharp improvement on her rebound seeking. Both lifted her profile as a pro prospect, and both testified to her willingness to put in the work.
3. However, she really does need to develop her ball-handling, floor vision, and decision-making, especially after she has begun her dribble; also to create a quick move into a pull-up jumper, an offensive weapon she was just beginning to find.

One other issue that I'm frankly uncertain about: did she, in fact, take Geno by surprise? Was he unaware— as his recent remarks about the team's roster for next season suggested— of her plans to depart for the WNBA? His public response to hearing that news was, as usual for him, gracious and supportive. Question: if Megan did not let him (and the team?) know of her planned absence, was that a failure to meet an important obligation that leaves him (and the team) at a disadvantage?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It’s just an opinion based on them being besties. There’s no need to be rude.

I'm just reacting to your many opinions on the topic: Paige will pick ND; Paige picked UConn because that's where Fudd wants to go; Fudd will pick UConn because of Paige, not Geno.

Very confusing.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
she probably should be playing ball for at least a decade. And if she make good 6 figures over seas at 21....hard to say not to do that. She can set up an investment portfolio so she’d never have to work again either way.

question for the finance professionals, can she get up a 529 or coverdell for herself to pay for school tax free when she’s done playing?
You can establish a 529 plan for yourself, but bear in mind that such plans only help you avoid taxes on earnings. You are still required to play State & federal taxes for contributions to 529 plans.

Reaction Score
One way to think about the impact of Megan leaving on next year's team is to think of Evina replacing Megan. I know that they are not exactly the same type of player, but she could make up the bulk of Megan's scoring. She's certainly talented enough to do so. Then Geno needs to find a replacement for Crystal. Paige is a possibility, or he slides Evina there and goes with a bigger player - Griffin or Edwards. Either way, it should be talented and formidable starting five, if not as experienced as we would have been with Megan. The real impact is on the bench, with it having one less player and the uncertainty of the bench being comprised of 4 to 5 freshman and no upperclassmen. Given that we will have eight players who are freshmen, sophomores or transfers, their development over the course of the season (which means be patient next year) will be the determining factor in our success.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
You can establish a 529 plan for yourself, but bear in mind that such plans only help you avoid taxes on earnings. You are still required to play State & federal taxes for contributions to 529 plans.

so it’s basically like a Roth IRA except its only tax exempt for school expenses?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
We need Azzi Fudd more than ever. When is the earliest she can commit?
After the Coronavirus pandemic subsides because right now no one knows what is going to happen to the 2019-2020 athletics, both college and HS.
Especially if seniors at every level get a re-do just because they missed their post season tournaments.
Otherwise I believe it will be November during the early signing period.

And just like what happened with Boston, currently there isn't even a hint that she will commit to UConn, other than the fact that she is buddies with Paige. So let me ask this, when was the last time that two close friends enrolled at the same D-1 institution?
(I really don't know the answer to this question.)

Reaction Score
I can envision the WNBA shutting down this season. If that happens who knows if it will ever re-start...out of sight out of mind...And if overseas teams do play most of the good W players will get on a submarine and play there meaning less roster spots available..I hope Meg thought about this possiblity...although I hear home depot is hiring.....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
After the Coronavirus pandemic subsides because right now no one knows what is going to happen to the 2019-2020 athletics, both college and HS.
Especially if seniors at every level get a re-do just because they missed their post season tournaments.
Otherwise I believe it will be November during the early signing period.

And just like what happened with Boston, currently there isn't even a hint that she will commit to UConn, other than the fact that she is buddies with Paige. So let me ask this, when was the last time that two close friends enrolled at the same D-1 institution?
(I really don't know the answer to this question.)
Lou & Pheesa

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I know that hand-wringing is a cherished Boneyard tradition but won't the influx of new talent and the expected maturation of current players maintain UConn's position as a championship contender? Top recruit Paige Birausi is said to have the leadership qualities and unselfishness of Bird with the swagger and scoring ability of Taurasi. Others bring toughness and athleticism. Let it play out; I bet it will be a very entertaining and successful season.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The choice isn't between "stay in school and never play pro ball" or "play pro ball now". The choice is "stay in school, get your degree for free, improve your game, build up your body more, win a NC, try to be a POY nationally, and then play pro ball" or "play pro ball now." There may not even be a league this year. Then what? As for the "getting hurt" issue, there is the same risk playing in the pros, in fact it is higher because it is two leagues in two seasons. It's not like she will be signing a multiyear multimillion dollar contract after April 17. In addition, she can purchase insurance against injury now. Finally, I sincerely doubt that she will be set up for life financially even if she plays a decade which is certainly not a given. The prospective earnings are just not that great. She isn't Diana or Breanna. I just disagree with the choice as do many others and I don't understand it but the fact that she made it brought many other factors about her that were pointed out in the prior posts into sharp focus and I am now looking forward to a very cohesive and fun team next season.

I’m not disagreeing with you. It’s a weird time for everyone to declare. I was surprised.

But she’s going to make some good money overseas...if they actually have a league this year...

Reaction Score
We lost three games this year decisively in the front court. At a minimum Stanford, SC, Oregon State, and Baylor will all return front courts that could be potentially problematic for UCONN next season.
There remains a lot of uncertainty related to Oregon State's front court for '20-'21. The two 6'9" underclassmen have yet to play for the Beavers. 6'6" Kennedy Brown will likely redshirt next season as she rehabs a torn ACL. 6'3" Taya Corosdale will be coming back after surgery to repair a torn hamstring.

Most observers believe that the Beavers will need to dip into the transfer portal to strengthen its front line to supplement 6'4" rising sophomore Taylor Jones.

Reaction Score
One way to think about the impact of Megan leaving on next year's team is to think of Evina replacing Megan. I know that they are not exactly the same type of player, but she could make up the bulk of Megan's scoring. She's certainly talented enough to do so. Then Geno needs to find a replacement for Crystal. Paige is a possibility, or he slides Evina there and goes with a bigger player - Griffin or Edwards. Either way, it should be talented and formidable starting five, if not as experienced as we would have been with Megan. The real impact is on the bench, with it having one less player and the uncertainty of the bench being comprised of 4 to 5 freshman and no upperclassmen. Given that we will have eight players who are freshmen, sophomores or transfers, their development over the course of the season (which means be patient next year) will be the determining factor in our success.

with MW gone if Geno goes with a smaller lineup with Bueckers at point along with Westbrook, Williams, Makurat (or Griffin) and ONO they will run most of their opponents out of the gym..............of course it's a two way street and against the bigger more skilled teams it might only be effective in small doses.........I sure hope Geno gives it a try..........

Reaction Score
Best of luck to Megan in her pro career. Hopefully there'll still be some pro basketball at some point this year...

Yes, she could have stood to improve if she had stayed another year, but I don't think she's left the most on the table in that respect, amongst early leaving UConn players. The one who really could have used more seasoning, IMO, was Azurá Stevens. Azurá would have been a star and center under heavy focus from opposing teams, and that would have been valuable experience indeed for the next level.

Reaction Score
Simply put, this sucks. We all endured this year with the expectations that next year will be awesome with Megan leading the way. Now we’re all like “what just happened...”. Hopefully, CW steps up even more next year and the freshman come in ready to contribute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom