Megan Walker Goes Pro [merged thread] | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Megan Walker Goes Pro [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not sure what this kid is thinking for the following reasons:
- she disappeared in the three losses uconn had against the best competition
- given that theres players like Sabrina, Hebert, sabally, Cox just to name a few shell be lucky if shes goes in first round
- the first year salaries while they have improved with the new CBA...not worth leaving without a degree
"Lucky if she goes in the first round"? Exaggerate much?

Reaction Score
Huge loss, next year I had a title pretty much penciled in. Megan in my opinion would have been a strong NPOY candidate. She was our alpha and would have been a nightmare next year along with everyone else we are going to have. Now this definitely brings us back toward the pack. Think about next year when we need a bucket, who can we confidently say is gonna get one. Megan would have been that person and she would have been better next year. Anyone saying anything bad about her game doesn’t know basketball. Sure she has things to work on like everyone else but she Will be missed. I think we will struggle early to find an identity without her because she would have bailed us out early until we got better as a team. We will be ok because we still will have maybe the best team as the season goes on but THIS IS BAD for us GOOD FOR HER!

I am not going to question her decision, but I have to disagree with your “alpha” comment. She was not and is not an “alpha.”

Reaction Score
Ok, what happens when the WNBA cancels the upcoming draft and season? Can she come back? (I am assuming that she hasn't signed with an agent, if that is a factor in retaining her eligibility. )
Great point Centerstream. I'm not sure if she made the decision on her own or if someone was whispering in her ear. Either way, I think it is something she will regret, especially next November when the team starts playing games and she realized she could have been a part of it.

Reaction Score
Geno is very supportive to Megan]s decision. That is important,

UConn coach Geno Auriemma said in a statement. "When you have an opportunity to reach a certain goal that you set for yourself, I think it's important that you have an opportunity to take it.

"Meg's decided this is the right time for her to take advantage of this opportunity. Obviously, she had an incredible season this year and is incredibly talented. We support her 100 percent, and we're going to support her going forward. We wish her the best of luck as she begins her pro career."
That's what you say if you want any future recruits to give you the time of day. Dabo Sweeney has it all over Nick Saban in this regard. (I think Nick "gets it" intellectually but, emotionally, he just can't help himself.) Geno has come full circle on "thinking before talking" vs. his younger days.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Believe it or not, I’m kinda liking Oregon next year too. But they definitely won’t be up to the level of this year’s team. They’ll have Prince, the younger Sabally (hopefully she lives up to the hype), Boley, Chavez, and Shelly. Winterburn coming off the bench, plus whatever freshmen they have coming in.
Oregon will have a nice lineup and a good coach. But they won't have Sabrina.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
How can it not be her team? Geno said she’s better than Taurasi at the same point in development (I don’t recall the exact quote).
Between Paige's skill, experience, and personality, she's the leader.

Reaction Score
How can it not be her team? Geno said she’s better than Taurasi at the same point in development (I don’t recall the exact quote).
Shades, I never have heard Geno say anything even close to that. First of all, he does not like to make compressions of his players. Secondly, There is not a universe where Megan was better than Diana at any point of her career. That is not to diminish Megan in any way. Think of it this way. There have been some really good three hundred hitters in baseball. Then there was Ted Williams.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Any potential transfer will be looking at competing for PT with Liv, Aaliyah, Aubrey, Evina, Christyn, Anna, Paige & Nika, at a minimum. I seriously doubt Geno’s phone will be ringing off the hook.

a big time transfer at the 4 would certainly have a shot at plenty of minutes

Reaction Score
Was she truly going to reach her "potential" playing another year at UCONN?
I'm not sure how much further she had to go to reach her "potential", Coco. Her outside shot improved, as did her rebounding. But I am still not sure if she can continue to improve to the point where she can make any impact in the WNBA. I wish her the best of luck, but, another year would have put her in a little better posistion in the draft.

Reaction Score
She's not graduating this year!

A lot more players than you might think graduate in three years (or close to it). Must be those summer sessions. Ionescu graduated in three years. Sabally is doing the same. I remember Anriel Howard graduated from Texas A&M In three years and ended up grad transferring to MSU. Graduating in three years gives players options. Oh, there’s Kelsey Mitchell too.

Reaction Score
Shades, I never have heard Geno say anything even close to that. First of all, he does not like to make compressions of his players. Secondly, There is not a universe where Megan was better than Diana at any point of her career. That is not to diminish Megan in any way. Think of it this way. There have been some really good three hundred hitters in baseball. Then there was Ted Williams.
Shades was talking about Paige. Reading is fundamental.

HGN

Reaction Score
And how did that work out for Ionescu? Perhaps Megan is a bird in the hand kind of person.
Crossover, there are no guarantees. The point is to have the opportunity to go for a NC. I am sure Ionescu knew a NC was no guarantee but she wanted the opportunity .

Reaction Score
Times have changed and coaches must change too or get left behind. Some coaches must stop being so stubborn or be left behind because their are too many options for players out there now.
Unfortunately, Geno has gotten really soft in his old age, and it shows in the teams play.

Reaction Score
I see Aaliyah getting minutes off the bench up front right away because, as you point out, UConn only has Liv an Aubrey coming back at the 4 & 5, and they are not going to play 40 mpg. Here’s another prediction that may generate an eye roll. Sometime after mid season or so Geno will start working Piath into the rotation for 5-10 mpg subbing for Liv.

In any event, we will all see what happens next year once it happens.

No way -- not even close if Edwards is as good as you say.

Reaction Score
It amazes me that people make the comments they do without knowing any details how/why a decision was made. With the rate of acl injuries, among others, in the women game I think it makes a lot of sense to go when you will be a high draft choice. It is also possible that the cancellations this year made her realize there are no guarantees something won’t happen next year.

Comments about leaving without a degree would make someone think you can’t complete your degree at a later time. Many athletes at UConn have come back to complete their degrees. I wish Meg the best.

Reaction Score

We were talking about Bueckers in that conversation.

Reaction Score
There isn't much I can say that hasn't already been said. I was late hearing this news and I'm sad like many of you.

But I want to THANK Megan for being such a warrior these past three years. I've enjoyed watching her grow as a player on and off the court. She had a fantastic year and I hope she kills it in the pros both here and abroad :D

We <3 you Megan! Come back and visit often!

"In a world where you can be anything...be KIND"

Reaction Score

You got the quote right. That was 2 years ago when she wa a sophomore and he hasn't updated it since. But he has been to 20 games in Minn since she was a freshman. He is like Michalangelo receiving a perfect block of marble, studying it for years before taking the first chip. It may well be her team by this time next year but I see her coming off the bench at first, and hopefully the rest play well enough to let her continue to do that all season. She is the perfect 6th man. A great shooter and scorer who can play the 1, 2 & even some 3. She may be thin but she isn't as skinny as she was. And she is 6'. And can elevate.

And I don't think she'd mind not starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom