Megan Walker Goes Pro [merged thread] | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Megan Walker Goes Pro [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good luck to Megan. UConn will be in a similar position next year as they were this year. I'm hoping Paige can match Stewie's freshman year. Then, we'll win it all. Even if she doesn't, the year will be similar to this year. Very competitive with a good chance to make the final four. So the sky isn't falling, and I'll enjoy watching their journey.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I don’t know which specific factors influenced Megan’s decision to turn pro, there are a couple of possibilities that are worth mentioning. We all know that Megan spent time training with WNBA ROY and former teammate Pheesa this past summer. Pheesa had a tremendous rookie year in the W and also got engaged. Certainly, Megan and Pheesa must have talke about life after college, and from Pheesa’s perspective, it had to look pretty good.

The second factor that’s worth noting is the exhibition game between USA basketball & UConn earlier this year. Megan was 9/16 with 22 pts and 7 rebounds. If she had any doubts about her ability to compete at the next level, that exhibition likely put such concerns to rest.

Reaction Score
So, if the WNBA cancels their upcoming season in the near future, what are Megan's options? Can she "undue" what she has done and return to UCONN for her senior year?

Reaction Score
so it’s basically like a Roth IRA except its only tax exempt for school expenses?
Exactly. It's not worth it for just 2-3 years. Each state administers their own plan. The state takes a management fee and their mutual fund provider (you don't get a choice - you must use that provider, with a small selection of funds) takes fund management fees which vary depending on the mix of funds you choose. And, if you set it up through a financial planner instead of directly with the state, then they take a cut too. Really need to shop and decide if it's worth it. In many cases it's no better than just paying the taxes, except you pay fees to money managers instead.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So, if the WNBA cancels their upcoming season in the near future, what are Megan's options? Can she "undue" what she has done and return to UCONN for her senior year?
Part of declaring for the WNBA draft is a player “must” renounce all remaining NCAA eligibility. If there is no WNBA draft Megan can still return to school. If she chooses to sign and play professionally overseas this also removes any remaining NCAA eligibility.

Reaction Score

Shocking, especially as Geno said he thought no changes as of 26 hours ago...

Does anyone know if she can change her mind if she finds the wnba will be delayed or cancelled?

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Lou & Pheesa
I knew that they were BFFs at UConn but didn't know that they were close friends before arriving in Storrs.

Reaction Score
With Megans announcement the 2020-21 Uconn Huskies just improved from this seasons 29-3 team that didn't have an identity and chemistry to a team that knows what it wants and will bust their butts to get there! More importantly there will be an unselfishness in this team that is going to help them bond in a way Uconn teams usually do unlike this past year!

Reaction Score
One thing that has occurred to me is if some of you say she knew all along to go pro this year. Why not do what Sabally did and announce sooner and have a senior night with CD and gang. I think she was still mulling the decision.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
with MW gone if Geno goes with a smaller lineup with Bueckers at point along with Westbrook, Williams, Makurat (or Griffin) and ONO they will run most of their opponents out of the gym..............of course it's a two way street and against the bigger more skilled teams it might only be effective in small doses.........I sure hope Geno gives it a try..........
Don't be concerned. There is a talented big coming to UConn next season.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I would be telling my daughter to stay in school and get her degree because she will not be a basketball player her whole life.
Diana left without her degree as did many others. They finished up online after they left school. And we have no idea if Meg needs 8 more classes or 1.

FWIW, Geno won’t let his former players return to campus until they complete their degrees

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
One thing that has occurred to me is if some of you say she knew all along to go pro this year. Why not do what Sabally did and announce sooner and have a senior night with CD and gang. I think she was still mulling the decision.
Senior night is for seniors, so I doubt Uconn would allow a junior to participate in a 'senior night' festivity even if the announced they were not going to return. The exception might be if they were on schedule to graduate in three years - something that is unlikely for athletes due to their heavy time commitment to their sport. The players like Morgan and Azura that have left prior to using their 4 yr. eligibility were academic seniors and in at least Morgan's case were offered the chance to participate, with the specific proviso that they would not be invited to participate a second time should they stay.

Reaction Score
This team sure could have used some of that vocal leadership, ;leadership by example, or a spark THIS season. Megan did not deliver it. Even on a team that included KLS and Napheesa there was room for leadership and an occasional spark as was delivered (at times) by freshman Christyn Williams and junior Crystal Dangerfield.
I think maybe she is the kinda person that lets her seniors lead until she has no choice. Like I’ve said before, this was her training year. We could have used her to lead more, but I believe she did a lot of that by example. The games we lost, we just weren’t the better team. Doesn’t matter now but I truly believe next year, she would have been dominant as only juniors who already are, can leave for the draft early and get drafted early.

Reaction Score
I agree that there are players like Sabrina, Hebert, sabally, Cox in the mix, but she is from UConn and that sometimes ups the value of a draftee, IMO.
Fair point....uconn players are often sought after because they are winners..but it doesnt guarantees significant playing time..

Reaction Score
I disagree, she was our alpha and this was her learning year as to how to lead and be a team leader vocally or physically. I think people forget she only really played one season before this one. Next year had she stayed, she had all of the qualities to be an alpha and lead this team to the title. Pheesa and Lou just left so this was new to her. There’s not a doubt in my mind that she would have led us to the promised land next year......not a doubt!
Agree to disagree.

Reaction Score
if they sign her I believe she will get paid even if the season gets canceled. I am not sure about WNBA but in other sports you must remove yourself from draft within a certain timeframe to be eligible to return to college. Coming back after leaving is probably not possible if she sign a contract even if the season is cancelled.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
if they sign her I believe she will get paid even if the season gets canceled. I am not sure about WNBA but in other sports you must remove yourself from draft within a certain timeframe to be eligible to return to college. Coming back after leaving is probably not possible if she sign a contract even if the season is cancelled.
I asked the same question earlier in this thread or in another thread and the reply I got was that when a player declares for the WNBA, they forfeit their remaining eligibility. BUT, I have no idea how Sabally was able to declare before the PAC-12 Tournament and still compete unless it's another quirky NCAA rule that the declaration is only effective once the team's season is completed.
Or maybe she got a waiver to declare early.:):rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is an entirely unprecedented situation when it comes to the WNBA. The draft is scheduled in about a month on April 17 with training camps set to begin on April 26. While it’s possible that the worst is behind us by that time, it is far more likely that the US is dealing with a situation that’s even worse than it is right now. Under those circumstances, we could anticipate either a delay or cancellation of the WNBA. As for playing overseas, while there is no guarantee that the virus will be under control, at least there’s a 6-7 month window before decisions have to be made.

Under the circumstances, I would expect the NCAA to allow players like Megan and Sabally to petition for reinstatement if the W is cancelled and there is uncertainty regarding playing overseas.

Reaction Score
Diana left without her degree as did many others. They finished up online after they leave school. And we have no idea if Meg needs 8 more classes or 1.

FWIW, Geno won’t let his former players return to campus until they complete their degrees
Thank you. I think that is great about Geno. There is another aspect to this as well though. D was in school for 4 years and had no eligibility left and she was D. No one would have expected her and the others you referred to to just stay in school and not play pro ball if they could. Correct me if am wrong, but the only ones besides Walker who did have eligibility left and who went pro and who were noteworthy were Stevens and Tuck and they both, I believe, had already attended college for four years. That is not the case here with Meg. She had both a year of eligibility and a 4th, not 5th, year in school left if she wanted them. She is the first one to give up both and many of us including Mike Anthony of The Courant think it was a mistake for a variety of different reasons including but not limited to the academic one.

Reaction Score
With Megans announcement the 2020-21 Uconn Huskies just improved from this seasons 29-3 team that didn't have an identity and chemistry to a team that knows what it wants and will bust their butts to get there! More importantly there will be an unselfishness in this team that is going to help them bond in a way Uconn teams usually do unlike this past year!

Please stop with the “we’re better without Megan” refrain. Not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom