Megan Walker Goes Pro [merged thread] | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Megan Walker Goes Pro [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Megan is certainly a great player that will be missed, but one of the things I do expect to see next season without Megan is better ball movement. Particularly during the first 3/4ths of the season, UConn repeatedly struggled at times to move the ball effectively. As Geno would say, “the ball got stuck.”

One of the causes was Megan sizing up a defender with the ball held near her back left hip, a la Lebron, trying to determine whether to drive to the basket or shoot the J. She made some really nice plays and knocked down some shots, but Megan also drove into trouble at times and forced some shots. While she was sizing up her defender, the rest of the Huskies would stop cutting.

To Megan’s credit, her decision making with the ball was better and quicker the last 1/4 of the season. She still sized up defenders with the ball in her hands, but she also was a more effective passer and her teammates started cutting more.

Reaction Score
I do not believe this team will need to add anyone with what is returning and what is coming in.The most an extra player would bring is the icing on the cake.This team has talent,BEFORE the new recruits suit up,and will be tremendous with what is coming in.Might take a few games to get everything in sync,but will not be as frustrating it was this year that at times seemed at a standstill.
Some act like what we have coming in will not be enough to replace what we have lost.Well,I say phooey to that.I believe we have MAJOR talent coming in,and we will be a real problem for every team we face.
I would take a really good 5 or 4 position to play alongside Liv.

Reaction Score
I thought Megan was a selfish player especially in the first 15 to 20 games. IMO that helped the chemistry not to develop like it should have. Megan was all about herself! It did get better towards the end of the season but she did choke in the 3 games against elite competition and for that doesn't deserve being an AA!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
In terms of next year's team (if it's a normal season), we will miss Meg, her scoring, and her shot. But our concerns about playing time have been eased. Once again, next year's team will be a young team. Meg's absence opens things for Aaliyah, Aubrey, and Mir. Crystal's role will be filled by a combo of Evina, Paige, and Nika. I still hope we add 2-3 more players in 2021, including Azzi. I've seen Saylor 3x and she's the most versatile player I've seen since Maya the Magnificent.

I hoping that Paige's moxie and bravado rubs off on the team early on, and they play every game like they have something to prove. :cool:

Reaction Score
I thought Megan was a selfish player especially in the first 15 to 20 games. IMO that helped the chemistry not to develop like it should have. Megan was all about herself! It did get better towards the end of the season but she did choke in the 3 games against elite competition and for that doesn't deserve being an AA!
Didn't expect to read that. I guess @cbraarj is ready to move on without Walker. Expectations apparently not met.

Reaction Score
She would have profited by another year's tutelage as would have the team for her splendid efforts.

Isn’t she being played out of position, similar to Kaila Charles in Maryland? If that were to continue, I’m not sure how that helps her at the next level. Gabby was all out of sorts with her team trying to figure out where to play her. She’s too small to be a post player.

With the level of universal uncertainty about which she is surely aware, her decision must have been made some time ago and was unalterable.

I was very surprised to hear her announce this early without knowing if the WNBA was happening this year. Makes me wonder if she talked to the WNBA league offices and got reassurances that at least the draft was happening on schedule. Anybody write an article on this situation yet?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I don't understand those criticizing Meg's decision. None of us have access to Walker's financial records and only Meg knows how she feels and what her goals, hopes and aspirations are. She consulted with her family and, as an adult woman, made what she believes is a decision that is in her own best interest. It's arrogant for others to suggest that they know better.
But, but, but this is the BY...:) :rolleyes:

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Didn't expect to read that. I guess @cbraarj is ready to move on without Walker. Expectations apparently not met.
And is the reason why "certain" posters are probably on some BYer's Ignore list. ;)

Reaction Score
I wonder if the emergence of Anna and Aubrey.. Anna was starting to become a lot more vocal as the season progressed. Aubreys ability to bang in the paint.. Evina playing this coming season.. The 2 incoming freshmen guards (Paige and Nika) as well.. A lot of guards, all really good soon to be really good.. Present and future recruits coming in are becoming bigger, faster and better.. It’s quite exciting for the future.. It’s reminding me of the mens game.. All this could mean that the women’s game is starting to change and is catching up to the mens game with all these athletic athletes.. It’s AWESOME!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I hoping that Paige's moxie and bravado rubs off on the team early on, and they play every game like they have something to prove. :cool:
Paige clearly has 'Tude!

And she'll be pi$$ed about not getting to play the championship game in Minnesota.

Reaction Score
We lost three games this year decisively in the front court. At a minimum Stanford, SC, Oregon State, and Baylor will all return front courts that could be potentially problematic for UCONN next season.

Believe it or not, I’m kinda liking Oregon next year too. But they definitely won’t be up to the level of this year’s team. They’ll have Prince, the younger Sabally (hopefully she lives up to the hype), Boley, Chavez, and Shelly. Winterburn coming off the bench, plus whatever freshmen they have coming in.

Reaction Score
Not sure what this kid is thinking for the following reasons:
- she disappeared in the three losses uconn had against the best competition
- given that theres players like Sabrina, Hebert, sabally, Cox just to name a few shell be lucky if shes goes in first round
- the first year salaries while they have improved with the new CBA...not worth leaving without a degree

Reaction Score
Believe it or not, I’m kinda liking Oregon next year too. But they definitely won’t be up to the level of this year’s team. They’ll have Prince, the younger Sabally (hopefully she lives up to the hype), Boley, Chavez, and Shelly. Winterburn coming off the bench, plus whatever freshmen they have coming in.

I believe they have the number one or number two rated incoming recruiting class along with some team from Connecticut...........

Reaction Score
3. The pay is awful in the WNBA and she has it better at Uconn where she can also develop more.

You sound like McGraw talking about Jewell Loyd.

If the WNBA season is happening, she’d be making at least $60,000 for about 4 months play. That’s not too bad. And then she’ll (hopefully) be making overseas money. UConn pays a lot less than that.

Reaction Score
You sound like McGraw talking about Jewell Loyd.

If the WNBA season is happening, she’d be making at least $60,000 for about 4 months play. That’s not too bad. And then she’ll (hopefully) be making overseas money. UConn pays a lot less than that.

MW apparently not a big ice cream fan............... :rolleyes:

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Not sure what this kid is thinking for the following reasons:
- she disappeared in the three losses uconn had against the best competition
- given that theres players like Sabrina, Hebert, sabally, Cox just to name a few shell be lucky if shes goes in first round
- the first year salaries while they have improved with the new CBA...not worth leaving without a degree
I agree that there are players like Sabrina, Hebert, sabally, Cox in the mix, but she is from UConn and that sometimes ups the value of a draftee, IMO.

Reaction Score
With all that said Good luck Meg and I hope Minnesota Lynx Drafts you.

I hope so too! They take a player from Minnesota. We might as well get something in return. ;)
(No offense, not Dangerfield)

Reaction Score
I am surprised. And very sorry to hear that news. My thoughts were that UCONN would have the strongest returning team for next season in WCBB , with Megan.

You never know the thoughts or whims of these young ladies. Ionesco comes back to Oregon because she said she had unfinished business and wants to win a NC. And Megan leaves early because she wants to play in the WNBA and not play her senior year for a chance at a NC.

You never know the thoughts or whims of these young ladies.
And how did that work out for Ionescu? Perhaps Megan is a bird in the hand kind of person.

Reaction Score
Huge loss, next year I had a title pretty much penciled in. Megan in my opinion would have been a strong NPOY candidate. She was our alpha and would have been a nightmare next year along with everyone else we are going to have. Now this definitely brings us back toward the pack. Think about next year when we need a bucket, who can we confidently say is gonna get one. Megan would have been that person and she would have been better next year. Anyone saying anything bad about her game doesn’t know basketball. Sure she has things to work on like everyone else but she Will be missed. I think we will struggle early to find an identity without her because she would have bailed us out early until we got better as a team. We will be ok because we still will have maybe the best team as the season goes on but THIS IS BAD for us GOOD FOR HER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom