May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 60 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

Reaction Score
Well, the Fever lost to the Wings but Clark set the WNBA record for most assists in a game with 19 assists. :eek:

Very entertaining game. Boston had a great first half. Will be interesting to see how the Fever does after being dumped on in the first half of the season with the WNBA's toughest schedule. They have certainly been playing better of late. Rookies like Clark, 40 minutes tonight, have got to be gassed after playing straight though since November.

Reaction Score
Last-place Dallas edged Indiana in a very wild game, 101-93. As noted, Caitlin set the record with 19 assists. A couple of Dallas blocks kept her from even more.
Anyone else think Clark was looking to pass a bit too much particularly late in the game. Obviously she played well and I really only saw the 4th but it seemed like she wasn't really looking at the basket. She's had a couple of games like this.

12au

Baylor WBB
Reaction Score
Care to expand on that? I don't see how the addition of Mabrey makes the Sun any better than they already are. Will she start or come off the bench? I mean this could be the move that pushes the Sun over the top to the title or it could be the move that falls flat. I just do not see how adding Mabrey, a solid player, will help the Sun.

The Sun's bench seems really bad. Aside from ONO, who do you trust? I don't think Jefferson or Banham are playable in the playoffs. Mabrey definitely is. I don't think it matters or not if she starts. Harris/Carrington/Mabrey will be the backcourt, and all get 20+ minutes I'd guess. With AT and Bonner aging, the Sun need to go all-in this year.

Reaction Score
Anyone else think Clark was looking to pass a bit too much particularly late in the game. Obviously she played well and I really only saw the 4th but it seemed like she wasn't really looking at the basket. She's had a couple of games like this.

Clark's 3-point FG% has been bad lately, and it shows in her shot selection (and the decision by her or ? to skip the 3-point contest at the all-star game). She has turned down a number of good looks from 3 going to her left (her preferred shot). She has also missed a large number of good looks from 3 lately, including tonight. With just a little better shooting, Clark could easily have had a 30-20 (points/assists) game tonight, which might have pushed Indiana to the win column.

Reaction Score
Very entertaining game. Boston had a great first half. Will be interesting to see how the Fever does after being dumped on in the first half of the season with the WNBA's toughest schedule. They have certainly been playing better of late. Rookies like Clark, 40 minutes tonight, have got to be gassed after playing straight though since November.
The commentators mentioned Clark acknowledged she's tired. Considering the minutes she's been playing it's not a surprise.

Reaction Score
Kevin Pelton's article on the Mabrey trade is interesting. He mentions that it opens up 42K cap space for the Sun, which they could use to sign Gabby Williams for the rest of the season
Interesting plot twist. Something to watch for.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Clark's postgame comments were right on: Fever could get anything they wanted all night on offense, but defense and turnovers let them down. She lamented how they've lost two winnable games against the Mystics and Wings--if they Fever had won those, they'd be 13-13 and right on Phoenix's heels for the 6th seed.

That being said...the improvement Clark has made since the start of the season is remarkable. She's now up to more than 17ppg, 8apg, and nearly 6rpg. Even the overall FG% is now above 40%. The 3-pt shooting is lacking, but longterm that shouldn't be a worry. Turnovers are obviously too high but she's now at least doubling them in assists.

Also after a slow start, Boston's stats are near identical to her rookie numbers--and they are only going up by the game.

Reaction Score
Clark's 3-point FG% has been bad lately, and it shows in her shot selection (and the decision by her or ? to skip the 3-point contest at the all-star game). She has turned down a number of good looks from 3 going to her left (her preferred shot). She has also missed a large number of good looks from 3 lately, including tonight. With just a little better shooting, Clark could easily have had a 30-20 (points/assists) game tonight, which might have pushed Indiana to the win column.
Hate to say it but Katie Lou brings nothing to that team. She used to at least be a great 3 point shooter, but isn't even good at that.
She isn't a defender, doesn't penetrate and score. She doesn't create for others, don't think she will be in the league much longer.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Hate to say it but Katie Lou brings nothing to that team. She used to at least be a great 3 point shooter, but isn't even good at that.
She isn't a defender, doesn't penetrate and score. She doesn't create for others, don't think she will be in the league much longer.
I do find their offense flows better when she is in; she's a good passer and knows where to be. But it's not a coincidence that Hull has been getting a lot more time either, particularly since Clark and Mitchell aren't elite defenders.

Reaction Score
I do find their offense flows better when she is in; she's a good passer and knows where to be. But it's not a coincidence that Hull has been getting a lot more time either, particularly since Clark and Mitchell aren't elite defenders.
The biggest problem is like yesterday in the 4th quarter when Dallas was making a run. She had a wide open 3 from out front which would have tied the game late, and stopped the Dallas run.
She clanged the shot off the rim and a break went the other way.

Reaction Score
interesting Comments about the Fever. Tired legs don’t go well with 3 pt shooting. I would assume that’s why CC is passing up shots. She’s a phenomenal passer. I knew she was good but I didn’t watch all of her college games so didn’t realize she was elite in that regard. She and Aliyah are going to be the new duo in the league for the next decade I would think.

Aliyah looks terrific. I know she started out slow and I really think there were a number of factors that caused that, but what a difference a month makes.

The sub rotations are head-scratchers. Maybe in the off-season they can get some decent free agents to sign. They need perimeter defenders bad and preferably ones who can shoot too. Seems we have too many who can do one or the other.

It’s been fun watching the rookies find their footing. Jacy Sheldon hit 2 dagger 3s against the Fever late in the 4th Q. Kate Martin has been a nice surprise and hope she’s ok. Kamilla and AR were a force against the Aces. Rickea is on fire in LA.

how about AFLAC throwing $55,000 x 2 at the All-Star game for the winners of the 3 pt shooting contest and the Skills challenge.

Finally, how about the magazine spreads for A’ja and Cam Brink. Wow.

Reaction Score
WNBA trivia:

Triple Doubles up until the last couple of years have been few and far between.

What player has been the "fastest" to scoring their first triple double? ... that is how many games into their career before scoring their first?

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
WNBA trivia:

What player has been the "fastest" to scoring their first triple double? ... that is how many games into their career before scoring their first?
Wasn't it Sabrina, like 6 games in (but in her second season due to the ankle injury)?

Reaction Score
WNBA trivia:

I am curious on when they started changing what counts as an assist and if its coincided with the rise of triple doubles? There was a time in the not so distant past, like 2015, when an assist was only an assist if someone shot right away after the pass or one dribble on the fast break max. Now if a player takes two dribbles or less, no matter what precedes the shot, a player and team gets credit for the assist. A player could toss it to a post player who holds it for five seconds jab stepping, then dribbles, then does another 5 seconds of post moves before they hit a fade way, and someone will get credit for an assist. Crazy!

I know this is talked about in NBA basketball and seems to be a trended that started around 2018 but curious about the trend in the W.

Reaction Score
I am curious on when they started changing what counts as an assist and if its coincided with the rise of triple doubles? There was a time in the not so distant past, like 2015, when an assist was only an assist if someone shot right away after the pass or one dribble on the fast break max. Now if a player takes two dribbles or less, no matter what precedes the shot, a player and team gets credit for the assist. A player could toss it to a post player who holds it for five seconds jab stepping, then dribbles, then does another 5 seconds of post moves before they hit a fade way, and someone will get credit for an assist. Crazy!

I know this is talked about in NBA basketball and seems to be a trended that started around 2018 but curious about the trend in the W.
An excellent post, girlboo1020... same thing goes for college ball. I'm a fan of Caitlin Clark but some of her assists wouldn't have been a decade ago. One could say the same for many of Nika's assists at UConn, or for pretty much anyone who's among the leaders in assists.

The problem is, if someone tries to regiment it somehow, it'd become even more subjective than it is now. For the moment, I have no clue how to modify what is the given assist now, and understand anything that creates bigger numbers (in pretty much any sport) is what the media and probably most fans want... more, more, more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom