May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 54 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

Reaction Score
I’m curious on everyone’s thoughts on the ROY race. I’m incredibly impressed by Reese and am surprised by how well her game has translated, but I just can’t think there’s a coach or GM beyond the Sky that would take her over Clark. The double-double streak is remarkable though and she definitely has earned her place as a frontrunner in the discussion.

Clark is still figuring things out and it’s a harder transition for guards, but her stats are terrific and improving game by game. She needs to be more consistently engaged on defense but I’ve always thought she had the tools and IQ to eventually be a positive on that end and we’re starting to see it — she’s regularly blocking and stealing the ball.

I would vote Clark and I do think in the end it’ll go to Clark, but again I’m shocked this has been so competitive and think it bodes well for the league.
Angel has been very impressive, and the pick is working well for Chicago. I think overall the ROY race will be close. Both Clark and Reese are doing relatively well for their teams and putting up decent numbers. If the ROY stays close, like it is now, I can see where the W might pull a Jason Kidd/Grant Hill Co-ROY moment.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Honest question: is Reese a good defender? I've never been aware of her having a reputation for being that.

Sky got thumped by Liberty today. She got her daily double double, but 5-17 shooting? She scored 10. Stewie and JJ had 19 and 18. I see some people killing Clark for getting scored on, how many points has Angel given up this year?

edit--it was close thru 3 quarters but NY ran away in Q4 outscoring them 28-14.

12au

Baylor WBB
Reaction Score
Honest question: is Reese a good defender? I've never been aware of her having a reputation for being that.

Sky got thumped by Liberty today. She got her daily double double, but 5-17 shooting? She scored 10. Stewie and JJ had 19 and 18. I see some people killing Clark for getting scored on, how many points has Angel given up this year?

Reese was a very good defender in college. A lot of her value was her ability to guard smaller players as a big. She helped cover up LSU's deficiencies on that end to a good degree. In fact, I'd say she's always been more of a defensive player than offensive. Though this weakness has always been mitigated by her elite crashing on O glass.

I haven't watched a ton of the Sky this yr, but seems like finishing at the rim is still an issue. I wonder how much of the 5-17 today was chucking to extend the streak...

Reaction Score
Reese was a very good defender in college. A lot of her value was her ability to guard smaller players as a big. She helped cover up LSU's deficiencies on that end to a good degree. In fact, I'd say she's always been more of a defensive player than offensive. Though this weakness has always been mitigated by her elite crashing on O glass.

I haven't watched a ton of the Sky this yr, but seems like finishing at the rim is still an issue. I wonder how much of the 5-17 today was chucking to extend the streak...
She definitely wasn’t chucking to extend the streak imo. She just kept getting blocked by Stewie and JJ and would go up with the rebound and get blocked again. They were both giving a bit more effort on the defensive end then they did the last two times Chicago played. I think on the possessions she scored a lot of them were on the third or fourth shot attempt around the rim.

Reaction Score

She's been known for her defence from what I remember during college. Like 12au noted, her ability to defend outside the paint has been something she's been known for. It's also been showing up in her play since joining the WNBA. There have been several highlights where her length caused turnovers both in the paint and outside the key.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Yup. 63-62 for Liberty through 3 and then the bottom dropped out.
  • Jonquel Jones had a very effective game, scoring 18, grabbing 13 rebounds and blocking 4 shots; one or two of them from the weakside.
  • Ionescu started 0-7, but finished 7-10.
For the Sky to keep in close through three:
  • Izzy Harrison was uber-effective off the bench, racking up a dozen points and rebounds.
  • Mabrey broke out of a protracted shooting slump by going 4-5 from three and 5-9 overall, along with six assists.
  • Carter's volume is inching up, but she still shot 10-21. In the 4th, Stewie and Jones were stepping out on her.

Chicago can get into a turnover funk when the frontcourt stops moving. A team like the Liberty can clog lanes and overplay passing lanes. While they do try to free up Mabrey and Carter, there is virtually no small-forward option. Mabrey, Lindsay Allen and Carter all had 5+ assists, so the will is there....just got to work on the way.

As per defense: Reese is a willing and adept collegiate defender who is making her way into the pro's. Not having Elizabeth Williams has hurt the Sky interior.

Reaction Score
Yup. 63-62 for Liberty through 3 and then the bottom dropped out.
  • Jonquel Jones had a very effective game, scoring 18, grabbing 13 rebounds and blocking 4 shots; one or two of them from the weakside.
  • Ionescu started 0-7, but finished 7-10.
For the Sky to keep in close through three:
  • Izzy Harrison was uber-effective off the bench, racking up a dozen points and rebounds.
  • Mabrey broke out of a protracted shooting slump by going 4-5 from three and 5-9 overall, along with six assists.
  • Carter's volume is inching up, but she still shot 10-21. In the 4th, Stewie and Jones were stepping out on her.

Chicago can get into a turnover funk when the frontcourt stops moving. A team like the Liberty can clog lanes and overplay passing lanes. While they do try to free up Mabrey and Carter, there is virtually no small-forward option. Mabrey, Lindsay Allen and Carter all had 5+ assists, so the will is there....just got to work on the way.

As per defense: Reese is a willing and adept collegiate defender who is making her way into the pro's. Not having Elizabeth Williams has hurt the Sky interior.

Agreed. Was looking forward to seeing her play along with Reese and Cardoso this season.

Reaction Score

One aspect of her game that is exploited at this level is her shooting motion. She shoots from her hip, or attempts to go through a defender. She doesn’t have the size advantage in the W, so she gets blocked a ton. Quickly going through the play by play, she was blocked 5 times yesterday. So she shot 5-17, 5 of her 12 misses were blocked attempts. I think that’s why her efficiency isn’t totally great. Plus some wild attempts of course!

Edit: wnba stats show she’s been blocked 50 times in 22 games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

She’s also playing against better and stronger players

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
One aspect of her game that is exploited at this level is her shooting motion. She shoots from her hip, or attempts to go through a defender. She doesn’t have the size advantage in the W, so she gets blocked a ton. Quickly going through the play by play, she was blocked 5 times yesterday. So she shot 5-17, 5 of her 12 misses were blocked attempts. I think that’s why her efficiency isn’t totally great. Plus some wild attempts of course!

Edit: wnba stats show she’s been blocked 50 times in 22 games.
Perhaps another category in which she in the WNBA leader.

Reaction Score

Missed the news Taylor was picked up by the Mercury. Hopefully she'll get some opportunities to play with Cloud being out tonight.

Reaction Score
An interesting game in Indianapolis as both DT and Cloud will be sitting. I'm imagining that Clark and Mitchell are salivating.

If the Merc are to overcome their woes on the road Sophie and Becca will have to have very big games this afternoon.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Merc got as close to 4. Copper and Cunningham led the charge. Ran out of gas, Fever win by 9.

Caitlin has tied the franchise record for assists w/ 13 3 times this season. She had several chances that should've broke the record, but teammates kept missing makeable shots. She's also about to catch up to A. Thomas for the lead league in assists.

Reaction Score
Merc got as close to 4. Copper and Cunningham led the charge. Ran out of gas, Fever win by 9.

Caitlin has tied the franchise record for assists w/ 13 3 times this season. She had several chances that should've broke the record, but teammates kept missing makeable shots. She's also about to catch up to A. Thomas for the lead league in assists.
I wonder what DT was thinking as she watched Caitlin pick apart her (admittedly depleted) teammates. Could be, 'oh, i wish I were 22 again,' or, 'perhaps I underestimated Clark?'

Reaction Score
Probably just worried about whether BG’s Olympic dream just killed by Lexi Hull’s out of control play.
Wow. You need to watch that part of the game again. Lexie was going for the ball; it was Griner's own Mercury player (Copper) who collided with Griner in that play. I did not see any contact between Hull and BG, except perhaps their hands reaching for the long rebound.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom