May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 52 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

Reaction Score
I am still shocked that Indiana has not figured out how to get Grace Berger any minutes in a game. Decent mid-range game, decent defender, and rebounder. I think the last game she played was around June 20th range only played a few minutes in that game.

Reaction Score
Dorka put on a show last night against the Sparks!! Pili got some minutes out there and looked decent. She held her own. But props to Dorka!! Well done. Bridget played an outstanding game. Minnesota continues to win without Phee. That is a great thing. They are beating teams they are supposed to beat, which is what we fans love to see. Keep it going, Minnesota!!

Reaction Score
I am still shocked that Indiana has not figured out how to get Grace Berger any minutes in a game. Decent mid-range game, decent defender, and rebounder. I think the last game she played was around June 20th range only played a few minutes in that game.
I'm with you there. Look at Hull and the impact she has had recently. Similar situation where she wasn't getting virtually little playing time. Now she's had a chance to start and make an impact on the court where she can. Don't see the harm in trying to add some more depth to the regular playing rotation.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Ummm... they took Smith out of the starting lineup for who??
Well, technically Lexie Hull, but KLS went to the big/power forward slot, while Hull played small forward.
KLS played 32 minutes and had 9 rebounds to go along with 8 pts, while Hull played just under 20 minutes and only took 2 shots from the field, hitting both for 5 pts.

Smith played 27 minutes. However, the trouble was Boston was in foul trouble and only played 21 minutes, having rebounds and points.

So the experiment really didn't happen because Smith was playing center a lot of the game. Aaliyah Edwards had a fine game off the bench, scoring 12 and grabbing six rebounds.

Clark had a double-double with 29 points (on 5-9 from three) and 13 assists.

I've detailed how Lin Dunn has most of her KLS-Hull-Wallace trio under contract until 2026 and Berger locked into a rookie contract until 2027. Given how Sides keeps shuffling pieces around up front, I've got to wonder if some kind of movement/trade may be coming up front, with Smith as the lure/inducement and a demand that the other team takes on the small forwards off their hands.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Players pay attention to streaks. So do teammates.
With under 10 seconds left in the Chicago-Atlanta game, it looked like the Sky would win 76-69 and Angel Reese, who had 13 rebounds, only had 9 points and was resigned to get the team W but see her streak of double-doubles end.

But.....Sky teammate Marina Mabrey blocked an Atlanta shot and quickly -- and very deliberately -- passed it to Reese, who was fouled with 6.4 seconds left. Reese got a friendly roll on the first attempt to complete the double-double. Streak continues.

Sky were off a bit, but got contributions from Michaela Onyenwere, Dana Evans and Isabelle Harrison.

No Rhyne Howard (again). If they guys can make a replacement call, you've got to wonder just how close to the wire the 3x3 committee is going to wait before making a "should she stay or should she go" decision on Howard.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I've detailed how Lin Dunn has most of her KLS-Hull-Wallace trio under contract until 2026 and Berger locked into a rookie contract until 2027. Given how Sides keeps shuffling pieces around up front, I've got to wonder if some kind of movement/trade may be coming up front, with Smith as the lure/inducement and a demand that the other team takes on the small forwards off their hands.
With expansion next season, in the Bay area, I would think one of those contracts might be moving to the new team.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Washington badly outplayed Indiana for most of the game today. Indiana looked hungover coming off their big win over New York. Boston had her worst showing in a while and the team had 21 turnovers. Clark single-handedly kept them in it in the 4th, and then inexcusably Sides decided to not draft up a look for her at the end when they're down 3. Clark was 5-9 from 3, Mitchell was 0-7 at the time and the play drawn up didn't involve Clark at all. Clark scored or assisted on all but 11 FG, why would they not run the ball through her at the end? Inexcusable. This is the 2nd or 3rd time she's avoided using Clark at the end. Regardless though, this was one of Clark's best showings (29 points, 13 assists, 5 rebounds, 5 steals, 3 blocks, 5 TOs).

Dolson played very well for Washington and Atkins had one of her best games of the season too. Good offense most of the game from Washington. After a dreadful start, Mystics could creep back into the playoff picture. They're 6-5 after starting out 0-12. Only 3 games out of a playoff spot at the moment and are trending upward.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Meanwhile, CT still can't figure out how to beat NY. Lost their second game to them this season...at home, with Laney-Hamilton not playing.

Reaction Score
Washington badly outplayed Indiana for most of the game today. Indiana looked hungover coming off their big win over New York. Boston had her worst showing in a while and the team had 21 turnovers. Clark single-handedly kept them in it in the 4th, and then inexcusably Sides decided to not draft up a look for her at the end when they're down 3. Clark was 5-9 from 3, Mitchell was 0-7 at the time and the play drawn up didn't involve Clark at all. Clark scored or assisted on all but 11 FG, why would they not run the ball through her at the end? Inexcusable. This is the 2nd or 3rd time she's avoided using Clark at the end. Regardless though, this was one of Clark's best showings (29 points, 13 assists, 5 rebounds, 5 steals, 3 blocks, 5 TOs).

Dolson played very well for Washington and Atkins had one of her best games of the season too. Good offense most of the game from Washington. After a dreadful start, Mystics could creep back into the playoff picture. They're 6-5 after starting out 0-12. Only 3 games out of a playoff spot at the moment and are trending upward.
All well said, ballnut90... I'd just add, in keeping with your 'hangover' theme for the Fever, that Washington must have felt like it was running a layup drill most of a 51-point first half. No one on the Fever was exempt from fault defensively...

Reaction Score

Washington has been pretty competitive in this last stretch. Edwards, Vanloo, Melbourne and Engstler are all contributing to the score sheet. Add in the likes of a healthy Austin, Sykes and Samuelson, the team would be a lot tougher matchup against quite a few teams. Considering who isn't playing, would an outside shot at the play-offs sound absurd if they come back after the Olympic break?

Reaction Score

Dolson was throwing some darts out there! She put those passes right on the money for her teammates.

Reaction Score
Well, technically Lexie Hull, but KLS went to the big/power forward slot, while Hull played small forward.
KLS played 32 minutes and had 9 rebounds to go along with 8 pts, while Hull played just under 20 minutes and only took 2 shots from the field, hitting both for 5 pts.

Smith played 27 minutes. However, the trouble was Boston was in foul trouble and only played 21 minutes, having rebounds and points.

So the experiment really didn't happen because Smith was playing center a lot of the game. Aaliyah Edwards had a fine game off the bench, scoring 12 and grabbing six rebounds.

Clark had a double-double with 29 points (on 5-9 from three) and 13 assists.

And DiDi Richards started. I’m really confused with this one

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Liya had 12/6/4 in 20 minutes today.

Stef shot 2-3 from deep and continues to lead the W at about 50% from the arc. Minnesota has the next 3 sharpshooters: Carleton, Smith, and KMac.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
But what does she give them?
I just told you: 9 minutes, 0 points! :rolleyes:;)

Obviously, not all that much. Didi Richards has always (only?) been known for her defense, hustle and rebounding.
But if Edwards is back and healthy, she gives you most of those (maybe without the frenetic intensity on defense), plus quite a bit more scoring, so why not get Aaliyah E. back in the starting lineup. As it is, Richards is like a reliever who starts a game, gives two innings and leaves, with others going for the win.

Reaction Score
Just finished watching the replay of the Fever/Mystics game. That was an UGLY game for the Fever. Too many turnovers and bad shot selections. And then they were fouling like crazy. It was like they reverted to the team they were at the beginning of the season. Clark may have good stats but it wasn't a very good game for her. She let all the in-game issues get to her head and effect her game. Even with all of the above issues, for a second I thought they were going to pull it off. I think they could have won if there were just a few more minutes on the clock, but alas there wasn't.

Reaction Score
But what does she give them?
Hey. I just helped clarify when this started. Asking for logic now..... you're asking too much of me :D

Shoulder Shrug Idk GIF by Product Hunt

Reaction Score
I just told you: 9 minutes, 0 points! :rolleyes:;)

Obviously, not all that much. Didi Richards has always (only?) been known for her defense, hustle and rebounding.
But if Edwards is back and healthy, she gives you most of those (maybe without the frenetic intensity on defense), plus quite a bit more scoring, so why not get Aaliyah E. back in the starting lineup. As it is, Richards is like a reliever who starts a game, gives two innings and leaves, with others going for the win.
To piggy back on this, remember Aaliyah is dealing with a back injury. It could be a situation where they're trying to manage her minutes. Twenty minutes could be the cut off point right now.

Hey @Geew1992 , thanks to @Dillon77 response, maybe this is the logic???? It's still just a guess.

Reaction Score
Hare to believe O. Sims wasn’t on a roster. She has been balling in her time back with Dallas.

Arike continues to struggle with efficiency unfortunately

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom