May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 48 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Don't know if it was mentioned elsewhere but Dallas beat Atlanta yesterday. Dallas and LA winning on the same day is not something that has happened often this season.

Reaction Score
Don't know if it was mentioned elsewhere but Dallas beat Atlanta yesterday. Dallas and LA winning on the same day is not something that has happened often this season.
Was it a matter of Dallas beating Atlanta or Atlanta beating themselves? I recall the commentators saying Atlanta gave up about 35 points in missed free throws (12 for 18) and turnovers (28)!! :eek:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Was it a matter of Dallas beating Atlanta or Atlanta beating themselves? I recall the commentators saying Atlanta gave up about 35 points in missed free throws (12 for 18) and turnovers (28)!! :eek:
When you are having a season like Dallas is, you'll take a win any way you can get, even if the other team gives it to you. :rolleyes:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Couple records for Caitlin today. First triple double for a rookie in WNBA history. Previous record for pts/assists double doubles by a rookie was Bird w/ 3. Clark got her 4th today, with many more yet to come.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
The voters have shown that they can and will do it, so we all just have to be prepared when they do it [again].
Last season, Stewart/AT/A'ja were all worthy. The voting was 446pts/439pts/433pts.

This year there is no one really in A'ja league. I would be shocked if she doesn't get 90% of 1st place votes at this time.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Indiana about to get a nice come from behind win against NY. Fever jumped all over them to start the game. Lib reeled them in during Q2, went ahead I think by as much as 11 in Q3, but didn't finish well.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
83-78 final. After getting kicked around 3 times this year by the Lib, Fever finally got a win (and 9 straight losses in the series overall).

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I was thinking Chicago and Indiana might be shaping up as an interesting battle for the final playoff spot, but they'd both be in if the season ended now. Atlanta is #9, and they have been fading fast.

Reaction Score
83-78 final. After getting kicked around 3 times this year by the Lib, Fever finally got a win (and 9 straight losses in the series overall).
That type of win will be a confidence boost to the team. Hull had a couple baskets in the fourth that were critical in taking the lead. Came up big time for the team when it counted. Happy for her.

Reaction Score
That type of win will be a confidence boost to the team. Hull had a couple baskets in the fourth that were critical in taking the lead. Came up big time for the team when it counted. Happy for her.
Hull made me LOL during one of her baskets. It looked like she went into 3x3 mode. She grabbed the rebound, ran to the 3 point line, realized no one was guarding her, and ran to the hoop for a layup. If she was more aware of her surroundings I think she could've just gone for the layup without having to run to the 3 point line. :p

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yeah I thought she played well down the stretch.

Sorry to anyone who will take umbrage to this, but I cannot figure out why Samuelson gets so much playing time, let alone starts. She just doesn't do much on the court. I'd rather see any of Hull, Wallace or Berger getting those minutes.

Reaction Score

The T sabina got, came back to bite them

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Triple double for Clark: 19 pts., 13 assists, 12 rebounds. Not a good shooting day from three (3-12), but hung in there throughout the game and hit some key drives in 4th quarter. Aaliyan Boston shot 8-12 and NaLyssa Smith 4-8.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
Triple double for Clark: 19 pts., 13 assists, 12 rebounds. Not a good shooting day from three (3-12), but hung in there throughout the game and hit some key drives in 4th quarter. Aaliyan Boston shot 8-12 and NaLyssa Smith 4-8.
More rookie history being made! Congrats, Caitlin!

Aliyah's efficiency continues to improve, and she's showing why she's a rightful All-Star.

As for NaLyssa Smith, the efficiency was there along with the continued impressive rebounding (40!!! in the last three games--@ PHO, @ LVA, and NYL). But the stat that grabbed my eye was the +22. Homegirl was locked in the entire game. I'm one of her biggest critics on here, but I have to give props when they are due. On that note, props to Christie Sides.

As for the Liberty, I have nothing much to say (except that Jonquel decided not to show up again). The Fever were going to figure them out at some point after so many consecutive losses to them, but it's just one game.

Reaction Score
Clark’s shot has been off all season long, probably a result of tired legs and improved defense. Once it starts to drop it’s gonna be scary hours for the rest of the league.

It’s going to take some roster and management moves to get there, but I really can see the Clark/Boston/Mitchell core leading the Fever to a title in a few years.

Reaction Score
The T sabina got, came back to bite them
And another game where she takes 20 or more shots and the Liberty lose.
She needs to be more of a playmaker, and stop shooting so much.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Another game where JJ wasn't very involved. She did have 12 rebounds, but only 6 points and 5 FGA. Sloot was pretty much M.I.A. in this one. I really wonder if she's going to be in their plans after this season. Also Stewie was 3-11, had 14 points but some of those were on very generous bail out foul calls (8-10 FTs). Point is, if Sabrina isn't shooting, somebody else has to do something. She led them w/ 22. Laney probably the only Lib w/ a good game, 20 on 8-14 shooting.

Reaction Score

Besides Laney… Sabrina was the only one scoring. Stewie and JJ were no shows

Reaction Score
Another game where JJ wasn't very involved. She did have 12 rebounds, but only 6 points and 5 FGA. Sloot was pretty much M.I.A. in this one. I really wonder if she's going to be in their plans after this season. Also Stewie was 3-11, had 14 points but some of those were on very generous bail out foul calls (8-10 FTs). Point is, if Sabrina isn't shooting, somebody else has to do something. She led them w/ 22. Laney probably the only Lib w/ a good game, 20 on 8-14 shooting.

Sloot is done after this season. And depending where Phoenix finishes, NY may find themselves with Miles or Paige

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Yeah I thought she played well down the stretch.

Sorry to anyone who will take umbrage to this, but I cannot figure out why Samuelson gets so much playing time, let alone starts. She just doesn't do much on the court. I'd rather see any of Hull, Wallace or Berger getting those minutes.
I mostly agree but she can knock down big shots (though she’s inconsistent). She also is longer and taller than the other players listed and doesn’t often make a lot of mistakes (which Wallace does). Hull is likely the best option since she’s so active defensively but she isn’t as strong of a shooter and scorer. I haven’t seen enough of Berger this year but thought she’d be the best of the bunch based on how she played in college.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Clark’s shot has been off all season long, probably a result of tired legs and improved defense. Once it starts to drop it’s gonna be scary hours for the rest of the league.

It’s going to take some roster and management moves to get there, but I really can see the Clark/Boston/Mitchell core leading the Fever to a title in a few years.
Her shot was missing its lift after the first quarter (when she was red hot). I feel like it’s a common trend for CC to get a few buckets early and then cool off as the game goes on. Taking a few weeks off for the Olympic break could do wonders for her. Side note—her passing is translating so well the last few weeks and her teammates are showing better court awareness and catching/finishing assists that would previously wind up being TOs.
I’ll be surprised if she isn’t #1 in assists at the end of the season. She’s currently tied for 2nd place at 7.4 per game and has put up 56 assists in the last 5 games.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I mostly agree but she can knock down big shots (though she’s inconsistent). She also is longer and taller than the other players listed and doesn’t often make a lot of mistakes (which Wallace does). Hull is likely the best option since she’s so active defensively but she isn’t as strong of a shooter and scorer. I haven’t seen enough of Berger this year but thought she’d be the best of the bunch based on how she played in college.
She's tall, but that doesn't translate to rebounding. Previously she had gotten decent at using her length to her advantage on defense, but I don't really see that this year. She seems to have lost a step during her year away, and she already was not blessed with much foot speed/quickness.

She's still living off her college reputation as far as being a shooter. Looking at stats she's not really better than the other options this season. Here's the breakdown for all of them w/ overall shooting % first, then 3 point:

KLS 37.9 36.4
Hull 38.3 35.0
Berger 42.9 50.0
Wallace 37.7 26.4

Other than Wallace really struggling from 3, there's nothing there distinguishing KLS from the others.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
She's tall, but that doesn't translate to rebounding. Previously she had gotten decent at using her length to her advantage on defense, but I don't really see that this year. She seems to have lost a step during her year away, and she already was not blessed with much foot speed/quickness.

She's still living off her college reputation as far as being a shooter. Looking at stats she's not really better than the other options this season. Here's the breakdown for all of them w/ overall shooting % first, then 3 point:

KLS 37.9 36.4
Hull 38.3 35.0
Berger 42.9 50.0
Wallace 37.7 26.4

Other than Wallace really struggling from 3, there's nothing there distinguishing KLS from the others.
I think KLS’s length has helped make up for lack of foot speed defensively but I’d still take Hull over her as a defender.

In regards to shooting, KLS at 36.5% is a solid percentage, though I think it should be higher with the quality of looks she’s getting. Hull’s sample size this season is small (7 makes on 20 attempts) and she’s struggled from deep the past two years. I’d still bet on KLS being the better shooter. I think Wallace is a better passer than KLS but she’s been missing so many wide open looks.

To be honest, none of them have impressed this year and it’s been a glaring weakness for Indiana who otherwise is pretty darn solid at 1/2/4/5, but Hull was good today so hopefully she builds off of this and can cement some more playing time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom