May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 59 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

WBBTakeover

I'm not cooler than Kate Martin. Who is?
Reaction Score
4 of 17 from the field and 0 of 8 from 3--I can't! :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Imagine being a young promising guard in this league and being told that you have to "wait your turn" yet the vets get to post awful stat lines like this against sub-0.500 teams while getting lit up like a Christmas tree on defense. USA Basketball and its ridiculous politics, boy...

Reaction Score
Don't have Prime so missed this LV-CHI battle. Definitely watching it today.

Chennedy Carter went off, oh my. Playing in Chicago has definitely revived her career after missing a season. Happy she's having success and hope this continues. Her mercurial attitude aside, she is an exciting player to watch.

Reaction Score
I'm fully aware however it still doesn't mean that they should have to play overseas and the US if they don't want to. The trend of players going overseas is starting to shift, however. Haven't seen Wilson or Plum play overseas for a couple seasons. Ionescu didn't either I believe. She's talked about feeling healthier this season as she didn't have a nagging injury to manage. Some players opted to be coaches for NCAA programs like Atkins and Howard.

Maybe having the league play at the same time of the NBA could help, but coordinating schedules would be a mess. You're now competing with NBA and NHL, not to mention concerts during the winter for space in arenas.

With these additional leagues being stateside and provide some time before the start of the WNBA season. Hopefully, over time, players will have more options in how and where they want to play.
The first part, I think the players have the choice of playing year around or not. Second part. I agree, having the W play during the same time as the NBA would be a hot mess. Not just for the reasons you listed but also on a deeper level for the folks behind the curtains, concession workers, people who install the courts, ticket workers, cops/security details, and travel agents/team coordinators who handle those types of details. The last part, 10, 15, and even 25 years ago, WNBA players had to play year around for that extra money. It is great to see the progression over the decades of the WNBA. Folks forget that the NBA, prior to the Magic/Bird/Jordan era, NBA players were driving taxis, working at local bars or hotels, just to make some extra money. It is good to see the WNBA growing and with the game and great coaching at the youth level improving, the game is in great hands. Heck, I just spent a weekend in Louisville watching the future college and women players. The women's game is in great hands.

Reaction Score
The first part, I think the players have the choice of playing year around or not. Second part. I agree, having the W play during the same time as the NBA would be a hot mess. Not just for the reasons you listed but also on a deeper level for the folks behind the curtains, concession workers, people who install the courts, ticket workers, cops/security details, and travel agents/team coordinators who handle those types of details. The last part, 10, 15, and even 25 years ago, WNBA players had to play year around for that extra money. It is great to see the progression over the decades of the WNBA. Folks forget that the NBA, prior to the Magic/Bird/Jordan era, NBA players were driving taxis, working at local bars or hotels, just to make some extra money. It is good to see the WNBA growing and with the game and great coaching at the youth level improving, the game is in great hands. Heck, I just spent a weekend in Louisville watching the future college and women players. The women's game is in great hands.
Agreed on all points. There are a lot of layers to this.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Fun fact: Chicago has now defeated both NY and Vegas on the road.
Another fun fact: they have a better record on the road (6-6) than at home (4-8).

And a bonus: As of this morning, Seattle is now the #3 seed (half game above Vegas). I feel like they are having the quietest excellent season of anyone. (Though they have losing records to their closest competitors (MN and Vegas) should tiebreakers come into play later).

Reaction Score
Fun fact: Chicago has now defeated both NY and Vegas on the road.
Another fun fact: they have a better record on the road (6-6) than at home (4-8).

And a bonus: As of this morning, Seattle is now the #3 seed (half game above Vegas). I feel like they are having the quietest excellent season of anyone. (Though they have losing records to their closest competitors (MN and Vegas) should tiebreakers come into play later).
Will be interesting to see how Quinn is viewed at the end of the season. Will a deep run in the play-offs be required to remove some of the skepticism about her coaching abilities? Time will tell.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Chennedy Carter went off, oh my. Playing in Chicago has definitely revived her career after missing a season. Happy she's having success and hope this continues. Her mercurial attitude aside, she is an exciting player to watch.

I have a soft spot for mercurial players, glad she is having a good season.

Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see how Quinn is viewed at the end of the season. Will a deep run in the play-offs be required to remove some of the skepticism about her coaching abilities? Time will tell.
While they are third, thats mostly due to teams that would be above them losing games with their most important players out with injury. Given the talent on the Storm's roster I think they should have less than 8 losses and don't think they are consistent enough to really contend for a title this season. So consider me a Quinn Skeptic still.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Playing for a coach like Teresa Witherspoon appears to have helped immensely thus far; and, she seems to get along well with her teammates, from vets like Marina Mabrey and Lindsay Allen (a very cool, calm collected sort who helps Mabrey) and the rookies, Angel Reese and Kamilla Cardoso. Let's hop and see if it continues. (Back to beach :cool:;))

Reaction Score
Playing for a coach like Teresa Witherspoon appears to have helped immensely thus far; and, she seems to get along well with her teammates, from vets like Marina Mabrey and Lindsay Allen (a very cool, calm collected sort who helps Mabrey) and the rookies, Angel Reese and Kamilla Cardoso. Let's hop and see if it continues. (Back to beach :cool:;))

Sure....rub it in ;)

Kidding. I'm fortunate to have several beaches in walking and driving distance. Enjoy!

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I dont follow all of the WNBA salary deals, but Richie Cohen, from London England, does. A good follow if you are on twitter/X

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
IDK about this. Banham really brought a lot off the bench. And a great teammate I know the Sun is concerned about the perimeter game but not sure if Mabrey will fit. We'll see. Poor Moriah probably won't get anymore time there than she did here.

12au

Baylor WBB
Reaction Score
Mabrey will definitely make the Sun better this year. When Chicago acquired the 2024 7th pick (Angel Reese) they gave up a 2026 1st rd pick swap to the Lynx. But now Chicago picked up a swap as well. Is this the first 3-way swap?

Reaction Score
Mabrey will definitely make the Sun better this year. When Chicago acquired the 2024 7th pick (Angel Reese) they gave up a 2026 1st rd pick swap to the Lynx. But now Chicago picked up a swap as well. Is this the first 3-way swap?
Care to expand on that? I don't see how the addition of Mabrey makes the Sun any better than they already are. Will she start or come off the bench? I mean this could be the move that pushes the Sun over the top to the title or it could be the move that falls flat. I just do not see how adding Mabrey, a solid player, will help the Sun.

Reaction Score
Atlanta Dream bench outscored the starters? Yikes! Natisha stepped up big time for the Lynx, especially in that 4th quarter. Dropping 18 points! Well done. Kayla McBride needed another scoring partner out there today and Natisha Hiedeman filled that role nicely. Well done on the win. Heading into the Olympic Break with the Dub is always great.

Reaction Score
Care to expand on that? I don't see how the addition of Mabrey makes the Sun any better than they already are. Will she start or come off the bench? I mean this could be the move that pushes the Sun over the top to the title or it could be the move that falls flat. I just do not see how adding Mabrey, a solid player, will help the Sun.
I don't know if it pushes them to a title but Mabrey will open up for the floor for them as a perimeter scoring threat that is playable defensively so AT and Bri Jones will hopefully have more room to operate in the paint. She's an upgrade over Banham on both sides of the floor in a position they need the most help so I think she'll definitely help them get better, even if only marginally.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom