LOL Pats Fans - it never ends | Page 14 | The Boneyard

LOL Pats Fans - it never ends

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can a mod rename this thread, "Let's talk about stuff we imagine is true because we hate the New England Patriots"?
Yup that's it, it's all imaginary. The fine the Patriots get and the games Brady is suspended will also be imaginary I guess.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I guess pedantic would be the more appropriate word, but I think being dense is almost a prerequisite for being pedantic
So you're really this inept at generating a response after calling me dense? You could, I don't know, maybe, explain why you think I'm dense? Or are you just going to throw out nicknames?

Reaction Score
So you're really this inept at generating a response after calling me dense? You could, I don't know, maybe, explain why you think I'm dense? Or are you just going to throw out nicknames?
The point

Your head

So why should I bother

Reaction Score
We agree on the first statement. I'm not sure about the second. Does that contradict the report?

Second statement comes from the report. It doesn't contradict it.

So I take issues with the conclusions. Basically what they said was that the Patriots balls couldn't have dropped 1.2 PSI (which is what the scientists hired by Wells predicted they would fall, according the Ideal Gas Law) while the colts balls dropped only .7 PSI. The two data sets are incompatible. Therefore, there is no way to know with certainty why the two sets differ, and that therefore there had to be human deflation. So they look back at the texts and come to their conclusions.

What I am saying is that a scientist would not have used the Colts balls as the control. We have to have a baseline for what they started at, especially because the Patriots balls behaved as predicted, while the Colts balls seemingly didn't, and the fact they didn't should have been the focus of speculation, rather than using them as a control.

Reaction Score
Dude, come on. Kraft was defending the Ray Rice thing publicly in the face of all the backlash. Even Richard Sherman has joked about how close they are with each other.

Read this article. Kraft wants him to speak to a reporter, he speaks to said reporter.

Don't you think it's pretty ironic that Goodell was being defended this way, and yet the very idea that the NFL didn't see the Rice tape is totally improbable. The NFL claims they never saw it, then proof is shown that the NFL received the tape, and somehow, improbably, they still never saw it? Absurd.

Reaction Score
"According to our scientific consultants, however, the reduction in pressure of the Patriots game balls cannot be explained completely by basic scientific principles, such as the Ideal Gas Law, based on the circumstances and conditions likely to have been present on the day of the AFC Championship Game. In addition, the average pressure drop of the Patriots game balls exceeded the average pressure drop of the Colts balls by 0.45 to 1.02 psi..."

As I said, look at page 77. The Ideal Gas Law predicts a drop of 1.22 PSI according to the reports scientists. The Colts balls didn't drop that much. The patriots balls did.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Physics is not my forte. Do you have expertise here?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
This thread went all improvisational while maintaining the inherent bad blood of NY vs. Boston . Epic.

Exceeded expectations.

Reaction Score
Physics is not my forte. Do you have expertise here?

Do you have a UConn degree?

If so, you should be able to understand these words, "According to Ideal Gas Law calculations, a ball that is measured at 12.5 PSI in 72 degree weather should drop by 1.22 PSI in 48 degree weather 30 minutes later."

Reaction Score
This thread went all improvisational while maintaining the inherent bad blood of NY vs. Boston . Epic.

Exceeded expectations.

There's a difference between bad blood and absolute denial.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yup that's it, it's all imaginary. The fine the Patriots get and the games Brady is suspended will also be imaginary I guess.
Um, since they haven't happened, yeah, they pretty much are.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Do you have a UConn degree?

If so, you should be able to understand these words, "According to Ideal Gas Law calculations, a ball that is measured at 12.5 PSI in 72 degree weather should drop by 1.22 PSI in 48 degree weather 30 minutes later."

Except quotes saying the exact opposite have gone around as well. I thought maybe you had some special background to add credibility. I know you can scream homerism with the best of them.

You certainly don't need to make that quote again but you might want to notice that it is written in a report that finds a problem with what the Pats did and has other parts than the 1 you quote..

I graduated and did quite well. I did a Social Psychology study demonstrating that Yankee fans, on average, have an IQ that is 15 points higher than Red Sox fans. But that was back in 1976. The difference grew exponentially after 2004

Reaction Score
Except quotes saying the exact opposite have gone around as well. I thought maybe you had some special background to add credibility. I know you can scream homerism with the best of them.

You certainly don't need to make that quote again but you might want to notice that it is written in a report that finds a problem with what the Pats did and has other parts than the 1 you quote..

I graduated and did quite well. I did a Social Psychology study demonstrating that Yankee fans, on average, have an IQ that is 15 points higher than Red Sox fans. But that was back in 1976. The difference grew exponentially after 2004

What quotes addressed the fact that the balls fells exactly as predicted?

The rest of what you wrote isnt even relevant to what we're talking about.

The whole situation with the numbers is not that they fell out of the range predicted, but rather that no one can explain why the colts and Patriots balls are so different. It says that in the Wells report.

All the scientists that have weighed in so far have made the same point. Science cannot explain why the Colts balls and the Patriots balls are so different. There is not simple explanation for that.

Now, there are variables that can explain it, but the point is still that the Patriots balls comported with the laws of science.

And I've heard absolutely no one contest that, not even Wells. Wells simply dismissed the science because the people he hired could not explain the difference in the Patriots and Colts balls.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Cant deny science.

Based on extensive testing and analysis, however, Exponent concluded that, within the range of game conditions and circumstances most likely to have occurred on game day, they could identify no set of credible physical or environmental factors that completely accounts for the magnitude of the reduction in air pressure of the Patriots footballs or the additional drop in air pressure exhibited by the Patriots game balls, as compared to the drop in air pressure exhibited by the Colts game balls

the measurements for all but three of the Patriots game balls, as measured by both gauges, were lower than the range predicted by the Ideal Gas Law.66 As a result, Exponent concluded that application of the Ideal Gas Law within the context of the most likely game day conditions cannot account entirely for the pressure drops observed in the Patriots halftime measurements.

When compared to the reported pre-game pressures of 12.5 psi and 13.0 psi, respectively, the average pressure drop of the Patriots game balls exceeded the average pressure drop of the Colts balls by 0.45 to 1.02 psi, depending on various assumptions regarding the gauges used. According to both Exponent and Dr. Marlow, the difference in the average pressure drops between the Patriots and Colts footballs is statistically significant

But you sure are trying to deny it, aren't you?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Upstater will look at your post, zyron, and see a blank page.

Reaction Score
Upstater will look at your post, zyron, and see a blank page.

I think when Brady gets suspended, Upstater will post on here that the NFL rewarded Brady with time off for his honesty and fair play.

Reaction Score
Upstater sounds like a crazy person.

I like Upstater, but he's the same guy that argued that Brady's passer rating should be higher than Rodgers' because Brady's running backs are better.

Reaction Score
Based on extensive testing and analysis, however, Exponent concluded that, within the range of game conditions and circumstances most likely to have occurred on game day, they could identify no set of credible physical or environmental factors that completely accounts for the magnitude of the reduction in air pressure of the Patriots footballs or the additional drop in air pressure exhibited by the Patriots game balls, as compared to the drop in air pressure exhibited by the Colts game balls

the measurements for all but three of the Patriots game balls, as measured by both gauges, were lower than the range predicted by the Ideal Gas Law.66 As a result, Exponent concluded that application of the Ideal Gas Law within the context of the most likely game day conditions cannot account entirely for the pressure drops observed in the Patriots halftime measurements.

When compared to the reported pre-game pressures of 12.5 psi and 13.0 psi, respectively, the average pressure drop of the Patriots game balls exceeded the average pressure drop of the Colts balls by 0.45 to 1.02 psi, depending on various assumptions regarding the gauges used. According to both Exponent and Dr. Marlow, the difference in the average pressure drops between the Patriots and Colts footballs is statistically significant

But you sure are trying to deny it, aren't you?

Where's your source?

This is mine: https://cbsboston.files.wordpress.c...-re-footballs-used-during-afc-championsh1.pdf

Your numbers are wrong. Ideal Gas law doesn't predict a drop of .66. It predicts a drop of 1.12. Read page 58.

According to Exponent, based on the most likely pressure and temperature values for the Patriots game balls on the day of the AFC Championship Game (i.e., a starting pressure of 12.5 psi, a starting temperature of between 67 and 71 degrees and a final temperature of 48 degrees), the Ideal Gas Law predicts that the Patriots balls should have measured between 11.52 and 11.32 psi at the end of the first half, just before they were brought back into the Officials Locker Room.

The fall is from 12.5 PSI to a low range of 11.32

I also addressed why Exponent thinks the two different measurements of the sets of balls are nearly impossible. It states:
As a result, Exponent concluded that application of the Ideal Gas Law within the context of the most likely game day conditions cannot account entirely for the pressure drops observed in the Patriots halftime measurements. In contrast, if one were to use the most likely pressure and temperature values for the Colts game balls on the day of the AFC Championship Game (i.e., a starting pressure of 13.0 psi, a starting temperature of between 67 and 71 degrees and a final temperature of 48 degrees), the Ideal Gas Law predicts that the Colts balls should have measured between 12.00 and 11.80 psi at the end of the first half, just before they were brought back into the Officials Locker Room. All of the Colts measurements recorded at halftime were above this range, once converted into a corresponding “Master Gauge” pressure, and therefore can be explained by the applicable scientific principles.

And this...

This conclusion was consistent regardless of the assumptions made as to which of the two gauges was used to measure the game balls prior to the game and at halftime. In all scenarios considered, Exponent determined that the additional reduction in air pressure exhibited by the Patriots game balls was unlikely to have occurred by chance. In fact, when the halftime measurements are attributed to the gauges most likely to have generated those measurements, there is only a 0.4% likelihood—a fraction of one percent—that the difference in average pressure drops between the teams occurred by chance.

No surprise there at all.

That the Patriots balls DID fall as predicted while the Colts balls DIDN'T can't be explained except by another factor.

I have been saying this all along.

These idiots were looking for a result and used the Colts balls as control.

They even write here on page 58 that the Ideal Gas Law predicts the fall of 1.12.

And yet the Colts balls didn't drop????!!?

They didn't even take into account the wet weather.

Reaction Score
The same exact source, but my numbers are wrong. You are picking and choosing what you want to read.

OK. I mean, are you joking that your numbers are wrong? I have basically stated from the get go here that their conclusions don't make sense but that their numbers do.

I agreed with Exponent's numbers.
I agreed with Exponent's conclusion that the Pats balls and Colts balls don't make sense.
I disagreed with the conclusion that this must mean tampering. For good reason.

Reaction Score
I like Upstater, but he's the same guy that argued that Brady's passer rating should be higher than Rodgers' because Brady's running backs are better.

And no....

The backs were so good, in fact, Ridley, Vereen and Green-Ellis, that they arent even around any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom