Lifted from VT CR board | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Lifted from VT CR board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Penn State was never huge in Maryland...just the opposite. For years the Turtles considered the Nittany Lions their biggest rivals (even though Penn State didn't return the favor). Half of College Park consisted of kids from "Ballmer" and another big chunk was from Annapolis. Penn State fans are few and far between in Maryland. South Jersey, yes, big Penn State following. Notre Dame, though, no real following in either area.

No offense but are you talking about the same Maryland that is located in the United States of America? If that's the one, I haven't a clue how you draw your conclusions. PSU has a very strong following throughout the entire DMV, built on being the premier football brand in the Northeast/Mid Atlantic since the 1960's. Maryland Representation for PSU is still very strong. If I was estimating sphere of influence in the Northeast/Mid Atlantic I'd go with the following:

MA- I'd imagine is carved up by BC, BU, Harvard, (locals), ND and UCONN.

CT- Primarily UCONN with small followings for Yale.

NY- (Upstate) Cuse, with pockets of support for ND, PSU, Army and locals like Buffalo and Cornell. (NYC and surroundings)Pretty well divided up with pockets of support for ND, RU, UCONN, Cuse, PSU, UM, St Johns and smaller locals. No one team or even small group of teams can lay claim to NYC. You need a large group of schools to gain any critical mass in the city.

NJ- (Northern NJ) RU, ND, PSU (Southern NJ) PSU, ND, RU.

PA- (Eastern PA) PSU, with pockets of ND Support in NEPA as well as Philly. Support for the members of The Big 5 exists in the city as well. (Central/South/and NW PA) PSU, (SWPA) PSU with followings for Pitt, ND, and WVU.

MD- UMD, Navy, PSU, ND, local/national interests.

DC- Fairly even levels of support for UMD, VPI, UVA, and PSU. ND, Gtown and other Catholics carry some sway as well as smaller local and national interests.

VA- VPI and UVA, with solid representation for PSU, as well as smaller local/national interests.

Reaction Score
If Syracuse is the only regional team that New York state as a whole cares about, please explain why (i) Rutgers football games are clearly the biggest local draw in the NY TV market, and (ii) UConn, and not Syracuse, is the team that has (and had when both were in the Big East) 100% of their football games not on national TV picked up by SNY, the NYC based sports league?

Without ND as a football member, no single conference owns Metro NY football at the moment, but the Big Ten is far closer to it than the ACC. Frankly, if the ACC adds UConn it remains split forever, and if the Ten adds UCOonn NYC becomes a Big Ten City with the ACC of secondary interest. And if we were talking about hoops, since the Big East disintegration the market is hopelessly split, and conferences are looking for "shares," not "ownership."

Honestly. As an upstate NY guy, SYRACUSE is a one town franchise. Pro like. They are in homes in Rochester as a second market; but not quite the State draw of UConn. Buffalo, Albany & Binghamton are all fairly modest SU follow. Look at their radio network & ratings. It's just not much. Then ... You look at NYC. They have presence. But it's absolutely shared. RUTGERS has really little there in hoop or FB.

You have no State U for the 37 million in NE & NY. And what's Mississippi or a NC or VA sharing?

Reaction Score
The ACC schools always treated Maryland like an outlier. The Terps weren't southern enough. Their opinion simply didn't matter and eventually that disdain came back to bite the conference.
Maryland fans will say this. Yes. But Maryland and West Virginia are two fan bases with enormous inferiority complexes. Give them about 5 years, and you'll hear that they feel treated as an outlier in the Big Ten too. It wont take long at all. I don't expect the Big Ten to cater to their whining any more than the ACC did.

What Wallace Loh did had nothing to do with their feeling under appreciated. He had only 2 years of experience with the ACC at the time, and he was oblivious of the needs of his Maryland athletic programs other than how much they cost compared to what they brought in revenue.

The ACC felt betrayed at the time because they were, but the ACC has moved on and doesn't notice Maryland is gone at all in any way.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The little-man complex displayed by these dopey ACC fans is remarkable.

Bottom line - both Maryland and the Big Ten owned calculators and those calculators spit out huge numbers when MD/RU to the Big Ten was entered into them.

Forget the stupid stories about hurt feelings - the Big Ten is a richer league and it's even richer now that Maryland is there.

End of story. They got a better deal.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
No offense but are you talking about the same Maryland that is located in the United States of America? If that's the one, I haven't a clue how you draw your conclusions. PSU has a very strong following throughout the entire DMV, built on being the premier football brand in the Northeast/Mid Atlantic since the 1960's. Maryland Representation for PSU is still very strong. If I was estimating sphere of influence in the Northeast/Mid Atlantic I'd go with the following:

NY- (Upstate) Cuse, with pockets of support for ND, PSU, Army and locals like Buffalo and Cornell. (NYC and surroundings)Pretty well divided up with pockets of support for ND, RU, UCONN, Cuse, PSU, UM, St Johns and smaller locals. No one team or even small group of teams can lay claim to NYC. You need a large group of schools to gain any critical mass in the city.

PA- (Eastern PA) PSU, with pockets of ND Support in NEPA as well as Philly. Support for the members of The Big 5 exists in the city as well. (Central/South/and NW PA) PSU, (SWPA) PSU with followings for Pitt, ND, and WVU.

DC- Fairly even levels of support for UMD, VPI, UVA, and PSU. ND, Gtown and other Catholics carry some sway as well as smaller local and national interests.

VA- VPI and UVA, with solid representation for PSU, as well as smaller local/national interests.

You must be from PSU, eh? Only a PSU alum would be delusional enough to think SWPA is a PSU hotbed. Pitt owns the Pittsburgh metro, WVU owns the border counties, which are closer to Morgantown than Pittsburgh.

Reaction Score

This map http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-map.html#7,40.003,-78.034 and my experience in College Park says Penn State's support ends at the Mason-Dixon Line. Where are these pockets of Penn State support in MD?

Reaction Score
Maryland fans will say this. Yes. But Maryland and West Virginia are two fan bases with enormous inferiority complexes. Give them about 5 years, and you'll hear that they feel treated as an outlier in the Big Ten too. It wont take long at all. I don't expect the Big Ten to cater to their whining any more than the ACC did.

What Wallace Loh did had nothing to do with their feeling under appreciated. He had only 2 years of experience with the ACC at the time, and he was oblivious of the needs of his Maryland athletic programs other than how much they cost compared to what they brought in revenue.

The ACC felt betrayed at the time because they were, but the ACC has moved on and doesn't notice Maryland is gone at all in any way.

I initially thought you were really playing up the whole pompous UVA role for sport, but you aren't playing. You're being emotional and irrational and letting your disdain get in the way of making a well-reasoned statement.

First of all, Maryland left the ACC with more conference titles and national titles than any school not named UNC, so save the inferior crap for Wake fans. The Big Ten has done just fine in welcoming Maryland because Delany knows what he's doing. While he's in his office tower in Chicago changing college athletics, ACC officials are having a monster truck rally at their office park in Greensboro.

The ACC notices the gigantic chunk missing from its once contiguous eastern seaboard. The ACC notices the 7 million households it lost. The ACC notices that the #2 basketball team in the country plays in the Big Ten and not in its conference. John Swofford notices every time he wipes the Bojangles grease off his fingers, picks up the remote to search for the ACCN, and discovers that his rabbit ears won't pick up his local MY TV affiliate. No matter how many times you type it, losing Maryland was not a good thing for the ACC.

The bottom line is this: The Big Ten is just a better conference to be affiliated with. The decision was a no brainer. Staying in the ACC would have been a poor choice. The school posted record revenues in 2015, including $35 million from the B1G. The best ACC payout was $21.5 million. Fans are fine. Since joining the B1G, Maryland has won more conference championships than everyone except Michigan. Maryland broke ground last year on a $155 million football facility. Most importantly, Maryland is awaiting a projected $45 million payout from the Big Ten in 2021.

Maryland is doing just fine sitting at the grown up table in the Big Ten. Fans are content while watching one of the Terps' top-5 basketball teams, not thinking about Virginia and the dysfunctional ACC.

Reaction Score
Loh...a Big Ten guy...basically kidnapped Maryland by circumventing the discussion of boosters, alumni, and even his board....

but..most of us FSU fans threw a party....who wants to watch a team that is 2-22 against your team and the last game was
63-0 ?

You know what us Big Ten guys say... Buy Loh sell high.

Or, we just might see if that basketball team is really that good.

Reaction Score
This map http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-map.html#7,40.003,-78.034 and my experience in College Park says Penn State's support ends at the Mason-Dixon Line. Where are these pockets of Penn State support in MD?

There are random pockets of Big Ten country in the Baltimore region. I know of a MSU bar, a PSU bar, and two Michigan bars within 2-3 miles of the Inner Harbor. It's weird. Can certainly confirm PSU interest in this region, too.

Reaction Score
There are random pockets of Big Ten country in the Baltimore region. I know of a MSU bar, a PSU bar, and two Michigan bars within 2-3 miles of the Inner Harbor. It's weird. Can certainly confirm PSU interest in this region, too.
I'm talking significant support. I have no doubt that if Penn State has any Maryland players on its roster there is likely Penn State support in Maryland.

Reaction Score
I initially thought you were really playing up the whole pompous UVA role for sport, but you aren't playing. You're being emotional and irrational and letting your disdain get in the way of making a well-reasoned statement.

First of all, Maryland left the ACC with more conference titles and national titles than any school not named UNC, so save the inferior crap for Wake fans. The Big Ten has done just fine in welcoming Maryland because Delany knows what he's doing. While he's in his office tower in Chicago changing college athletics, ACC officials are having a monster truck rally at their office park in Greensboro.

The ACC notices the gigantic chunk missing from its once contiguous eastern seaboard. The ACC notices the 7 million households it lost. The ACC notices that the #2 basketball team in the country plays in the Big Ten and not in its conference. John Swofford notices every time he wipes the Bojangles grease off his fingers, picks up the remote to search for the ACCN, and discovers that his rabbit ears won't pick up his local MY TV affiliate. No matter how many times you type it, losing Maryland was not a good thing for the ACC.

The bottom line is this: The Big Ten is just a better conference to be affiliated with. The decision was a no brainer. Staying in the ACC would have been a poor choice. The school posted record revenues in 2015, including $35 million from the B1G. The best ACC payout was $21.5 million. Fans are fine. Since joining the B1G, Maryland has won more conference championships than everyone except Michigan. Maryland broke ground last year on a $155 million football facility. Most importantly, Maryland is awaiting a projected $45 million payout from the Big Ten in 2021.

Maryland is doing just fine sitting at the grown up table in the Big Ten. Fans are content while watching one of the Terps' top-5 basketball teams, not thinking about Virginia and the dysfunctional ACC.
You think Maryland leaving hurt the ACC. No one in the ACC does. We're better off, and we can live without Maryland's 18 Women's NCAA Lacrosse Championships. Congratulations on them. It's tough, but we'll live.

Good luck at the Big Boy table. At least let coaches finish the season. Really poor form there. Good luck with Mike London. We wish you well.

Reaction Score
You know what us Big Ten guys say... Buy Loh sell high.

Or, we just might see if that basketball team is really that good.
Apparently they are good enough to roll right through the Big Ten. They aren't having trouble with that so far. They're in second place. We'll have to see after that. Maybe your team will knock them off next game.

Reaction Score
There's a random bar with an Iowa State flag right near Fenway. Boston loves those Cyclones!
That proves Iowa State deserves a Big Ten invite. With AAU, they're a shoe in.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wow, the ACC water bearers and BC felaters are suddenly showing up across the Boneyard like Syrian refugees. Close the border Fishy, close the borders.

I say we build a yuge firewall and make BC pay for it. I know a lot of amazing tech people who could do it.

upload_2016-2-9_0-58-59.png

Reaction Score
You must be from PSU, eh? Only a PSU alum would be delusional enough to think SWPA is a PSU hotbed. Pitt owns the Pittsburgh metro, WVU owns the border counties, which are closer to Morgantown than Pittsburgh.

PSU Alum? Yes. I've never represented myself here otherwise. I'm not sure how what I wrote was delusional as I didn't claim SWPA was dominated by PSU, only that it enjoys great support in the area along with Pitt, WVU, ND etc.

Reaction Score

LOL that map? Support based off of Facebook likes? The same metric that shows UCONN recieving nearly zero support in the Boston Area or NYC, while somehow The Florida Gators are a factor? As for PSU's support in MD, its there. I've never claimed that we dominate MD. That was Bstimpy. Only that we have a good support system in the state, which we do. I certainly hope for UMD's sake that PSU support trails The Terps in their home town, If not yikes...

Reaction Score
You think Maryland leaving hurt the ACC. No one in the ACC does. We're better off, and we can live without Maryland's 18 Women's NCAA Lacrosse Championships. Congratulations on them. It's tough, but we'll live.

Good luck at the Big Boy table. At least let coaches finish the season. Really poor form there. Good luck with Mike London. We wish you well.

It definitely hurt the conference's chances for a potential ACC Network. Sorry, but UMD's departure left a very big hole in your media footprint. While that might not matter to Billybud, who only cares about games on his football schedule, it does matter to investors. Maybe you're right and cord cutters make this all a moot point in 10 years, but an extra 15 mil per for the Terps over that time frame will certainly go a long way to growing their AD.

Reaction Score
No one outside of ACC fans think Maryland's departure didn't put a dent in the ACC's longterm prospects. Louisville may have been a short-term stopgap that retained competitive balance in football and basketball, but make no mistake, losing Maryland did damage the financial viability.

Reaction Score

For someone who claims to be happy that Maryland left the ACC, I have never seen someone as butthurt, obsessive, irrational, passive-aggressive, and disturbingly creepy as btstimpy, and getting more so with each successive post. I don't think there was ever an intention of making a well-reasoned statement. So much for "moving on."

Getting back to the original post, it appears from the GT AD's statement that there could be more "betrayals" on or before the expiration of the GOR.

Reaction Score

I grew up in Fayette County, Pa. It is 35 miles southeast of Pittsburgh and 25 miles north of Morgantown.

You are correct that there are a lot of WVU fans in that area, but there are big pockets of PSU, Pitt and ND fans there as well.

Reaction Score
For someone who claims to be happy that Maryland left the ACC, I have never seen someone as butthurt, obsessive, irrational, passive-aggressive, and disturbingly creepy as btstimpy, and getting more so with each successive post. I don't think there was ever an intention of making a well-reasoned statement. So much for "moving on."

Getting back to the original post, it appears from the GT AD's statement that there could be more "betrayals" on or before the expiration of the GOR.
i've been onto stimp for his obvious agenda since he first arrived...i'll just leave it at that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom