Lifted from VT CR board | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Lifted from VT CR board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You think Maryland leaving hurt the ACC. No one in the ACC does. We're better off, and we can live without Maryland's 18 Women's NCAA Lacrosse Championships. Congratulations on them. It's tough, but we'll live.

Good luck at the Big Boy table. At least let coaches finish the season. Really poor form there. Good luck with Mike London. We wish you well.
Maryland is the only university in the country that's won national championships in football and men's and women's basketball.

Reaction Score
LOL that map? Support based off of Facebook likes? The same metric that shows UCONN recieving nearly zero support in the Boston Area or NYC, while somehow The Florida Gators are a factor? As for PSU's support in MD, its there. I've never claimed that we dominate MD. That was Bstimpy. Only that we have a good support system in the state, which we do. I certainly hope for UMD's sake that PSU support trails The Terps in their home town, If not yikes...
Are you deliberately dense or afflicted with poor reading comprehension? College Park is a microcosm of the entire state. And other than allegations, what proof have you offered? LOL on that for a while.

Reaction Score
If you like complaining ACC fans on our board, just wait to see what happens if the Big12 gets a network.

Only then will it become readily apparent the ACC failed to retain key teams it needed to build a network and failed to recruit expansion partners who could support a network. Ignorant ACC fans may be saying things like " the ACC has moved on and doesn't notice Maryland is gone at all in any way" but they will notice it when it helps prevent them from building a network.

It is readily apparent there is no longer a P5 but instead a N3 and P2 (N = Network) and the N3s have financially separated themselves. Whenever anyone questions the ACC's strategy or positioning the ACC pundits never address the ACC but instead point to the B12's instability and disorder. It reminds me of a political candidate who will not define his position but instead choses to launch an attack against the current president every time he is questioned. If the B12 gets its house in order the ACC will have to finally look in the mirror. If it becomes the N4 with the ACC the odd conference out....stand by

It is simple why the FSU, UVA, and BC fans are on our board. They are looking at UConn as a sounding board for the attractiveness of their conference. Five years ago most UConn fans thought the ACC was the best conference for us. Now most UConn fans overwhelming believe the BIG is the dream conference. The more I read the FSU, UVa and BC posts on out board the more I realize how much better the BIG is...the ACC is like a melting pot only nothing is melting and there is no rhythm or reason as to the ingredients being added .

If the ACC offered UConn an invite we'd have to take it but I am honestly starting to believe being in the BIG or B12 with a network is a far better option.

Reaction Score
For someone who claims to be happy that Maryland left the ACC, I have never seen someone as butthurt, obsessive, irrational, passive-aggressive, and disturbingly creepy as btstimpy, and getting more so with each successive post. I don't think there was ever an intention of making a well-reasoned statement. So much for "moving on."

Getting back to the original post, it appears from the GT AD's statement that there could be more "betrayals" on or before the expiration of the GOR.
Butthurt? No. Elated actually. Read Billybud's post above too. He's FSU and thrilled.

We take Maryland's $32 million and move on doing just fine. The basketball literally has never been better in the ACC, and Maryland never mattered in football anyway since the 80s. Like I said, we can live without women's lacrosse. It will be tough, but we can do it.

Reaction Score
I came back lurking to find out how excited UConn were about a Big XII invite. It looked a week ago like you might get one. Then I found this thread trying to analyze the intentions of the GT AD when he deferred ACC Network questions to Swofford. Was obligated to correct incorrect information from a FSU fan. The GT AD doesn't know anything about the Big XII's plans, and he doesn't speak for the ACC's either.

Sounds like you'd be happy with it.

Reaction Score
Maryland is the only university in the country that's won national championships in football and men's and women's basketball.
Congratulations! That's a hell of an accomplishment. Maryland had a fantastic football team in the 1950s. I missed it, but I've heard it was great.

Reaction Score
Congratulations! That's a hell of an accomplishment. Maryland had a fantastic football team in the 1950s. I missed it, but I've heard it was great.
Had Bear Bryant as a coach too. How great was that?

Reaction Score
Butthurt? No. Elated actually. Read Billybud's post above too. He's FSU and thrilled.

We take Maryland's $32 million and move on doing just fine. The basketball literally has never been better in the ACC, and Maryland never mattered in football anyway since the 80s. Like I said, we can live without women's lacrosse. It will be tough, but we can do it.
Maryland 42 national championships.
Virginia 23 national championships.

Reaction Score
This map http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-map.html#7,40.003,-78.034 and my experience in College Park says Penn State's support ends at the Mason-Dixon Line. Where are these pockets of Penn State support in MD?

Staying neutral; but, click on one of the MD counties on the PA border and it shows Maryland 37%, PSU 13%, ND 4%. Actually not bad for out-of-state.

PS - My town in North Jersey, which is 40 miles from New Brunswick, is 9% Rutgers, 9% Penn St & 9% ND. Shows 1) how limited that Rutgers is, 2) Penn State has serious pull in parts of Jersey, and 3) while we all make fun of ND, they do have a national brand.

Reaction Score
No offense but are you talking about the same Maryland that is located in the United States of America? If that's the one, I haven't a clue how you draw your conclusions. PSU has a very strong following throughout the entire DMV, built on being the premier football brand in the Northeast/Mid Atlantic since the 1960's. Maryland Representation for PSU is still very strong. If I was estimating sphere of influence in the Northeast/Mid Atlantic I'd go with the following:

MA- I'd imagine is carved up by BC, BU, Harvard, (locals), ND and UCONN.

CT- Primarily UCONN with small followings for Yale.

NY- (Upstate) Cuse, with pockets of support for ND, PSU, Army and locals like Buffalo and Cornell. (NYC and surroundings)Pretty well divided up with pockets of support for ND, RU, UCONN, Cuse, PSU, UM, St Johns and smaller locals. No one team or even small group of teams can lay claim to NYC. You need a large group of schools to gain any critical mass in the city.

NJ- (Northern NJ) RU, ND, PSU (Southern NJ) PSU, ND, RU.

PA- (Eastern PA) PSU, with pockets of ND Support in NEPA as well as Philly. Support for the members of The Big 5 exists in the city as well. (Central/South/and NW PA) PSU, (SWPA) PSU with followings for Pitt, ND, and WVU.

MD- UMD, Navy, PSU, ND, local/national interests.

DC- Fairly even levels of support for UMD, VPI, UVA, and PSU. ND, Gtown and other Catholics carry some sway as well as smaller local and national interests.

VA- VPI and UVA, with solid representation for PSU, as well as smaller local/national interests.
This is a good assessment. I'll be interested to see how Temple develops in Eastern PA. They are in the Big 5, but they're looking to get out of the Eagles stadium, and the new football coach has a lot of energy. Can they keep him and build something?

You're right about DC. And DC has evolved to not really care about college sports. You go play a basketball game at George Washington, and no one in town knows you were even there. All of the international residents have too many professional sports to even care.

Reaction Score
Maryland 42 national championships.
Virginia 23 national championships.
Everyone knows Maryland had glory days before there was a NCAA. So did Pittsburgh. The ACC lost a school that has many championships before the beginning of time, and added one that does too. I've acknowledged that Maryland has 18 women's lacrosse championships in my lifetime. It's an accomplishment that will be hard for the ACC to overcome. But I think we'll live.

I'm surprised though that Maryland is taking down the name of the University President that built the athletic department that won all of those early championships. They can't be too proud of them. But that's on them.

Reaction Score
CR has interested us all....I have been on WVU's board for 14 years and VT's board for the same, and much of that time CR has been the topic du jour....I became interested, while working for FSU, when the ACC conference calls were going on about ACC expansion.

CR is talked about on many boards...and each board has its own personality and viewpoints. Orangebloods and Landthieves, quite naturally, tend to disagree about the Big 12 at times. You'll see yapping about BYU, Houston, Texas LHN, Boren, etc.

This board is really the only CR board with a total northeastern focus.

Reaction Score
This board is really the only CR board with a total northeastern focus.

That's because this is the only relevant school in the northeast? lol. Its amazing to me that BC and Syracuse are less relevant now than they were in the Big East. Same with Pitt and even WVU to a lesser degree.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised though that Maryland is taking down the name of the University President that built the athletic department that won all of those early championships. They can't be too proud of them. But that's on them.

Shocking...

The University of Maryland President Wallace D. Loh wants to change the name of the College Park campus' Byrd Stadium, which honors a longtime campus president who opposed integration

Reaction Score
God you're a moron. Please go away

Reaction Score

Elated? Your irrational diatribes say otherwise. Butthurt only begins to describe your whiny state and the inferiority complex you are attempting to cover up with "clever" but slimy retorts. But we can all tell how much you moved on. Good luck with that.

Reaction Score
That's because this is the only relevant school in the northeast? lol. Its amazing to me that BC and Syracuse are less relevant now than they were in the Big East. Same with Pitt and even WVU to a lesser degree.

Syracuse won NCAA championships in Cross Country and Field Hockey this year. I'm not sure they did that in the Big East. Their football and basketball is about the same as when they moved. Football just got a new coach, so we'll see.

Pittsburgh is about the same as the Big East. But they hired a new Men's Soccer coach who is a good hire, so we'll see what he does.

Boston College has declined some. But I think it's related to coaching. They have new ones now, so upward and onward.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I came back lurking to find out how excited UConn were about a Big XII invite. It looked a week ago like you might get one. Then I found this thread trying to analyze the intentions of the GT AD when he deferred ACC Network questions to Swofford. Was obligated to correct incorrect information from a FSU fan. The GT AD doesn't know anything about the Big XII's plans, and he doesn't speak for the ACC's either.

Sounds like you'd be happy with it.

UConn, by every single metric, is a Power school. There is no questioning that whatsoever. For the most part, UConn fans feel that a B1G or ACC affiliation makes the most sense for geography purposes. However, 100 out of 100 UConn fans would do a backflip (quite an accomplishment for me since I have never successfully performed a backflip) if we received a B12 invitation. What it comes down to is this: as a fanbase, we are tired of seeing also-ran northeast r1vals like the Fruit, BC and RU get tapped ahead of us and then fall flat on their faces while we continue to compete at a high level with 1/100 of the resources as them. We want to be on equal footing either as conference mates or Power conference peers. Whether it is the B1G/ACC/B12/SEC/PAC, UConn adds Power conference value at G5 prices (right now). It is that simple.

Reaction Score
UConn, by every single metric, is a Power school. There is no questioning that whatsoever. For the most part, UConn fans feel that a B1G or ACC affiliation makes the most sense for geography purposes. However, 100 out of 100 UConn fans would do a backflip (quite an accomplishment for me since I have never successfully performed a backflip) if we received a B12 invitation. What it comes down to is this: as a fanbase, we are tired of seeing also-ran northeast r1vals like the Fruit, BC and RU get tapped ahead of us and then fall flat on their faces while we continue to compete at a high level with 1/100 of the resources as them. We want to be on equal footing either as conference mates or Power conference peers. Whether it is the B1G/ACC/B12/SEC/PAC, UConn adds Power conference value at G5 prices (right now). It is that simple.
I hope you get it. UConn does deserve it. I think that the Big XII has some geographic challenges, but they are no more difficult that what you have today in the AAC. You should take it if it becomes available. My league is focused on other things right now unfortunately, and so is the Big Ten. UConn would be great in either the Big Ten or the ACC, but since they are not in expansion mode take a Big XII offer if it comes. It looks like the Big XII presidents authorized analysis that they will review in May.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I hope you get it. UConn does deserve it. I think that the Big XII has some geographic challenges, but they are no more difficult that what you have today in the AAC. You should take it if it becomes available. My league is focused on other things right now unfortunately, and so is the Big Ten. UConn would be great in either the Big Ten or the ACC, but since they are not in expansion mode take a Big XII offer if it comes. It looks like the Big XII presidents authorized analysis that they will review in May.

Completely agree with all of this. B12 geography is no different than AAC geography. However with B12 geography, UConn fans would certainly be enticed to hop on a plane or get in a car to go to Texas, OU, TCU, Baylor, KU for hoops, etc. Only the diehards like Dale and a few others here are willing to do the same to go to Tulane/SMU/Tulsa/UH etc.

Yes, May is going to be a critical month for the future of UConn athletics and the university. It's vital that UConn uses the time between now and then to hammer down the message: UConn is a power school and the top choice regardless of geography.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I grew up in Fayette County, Pa. It is 35 miles southeast of Pittsburgh and 25 miles north of Morgantown.

You are correct that there are a lot of WVU fans in that area, but there are big pockets of PSU, Pitt and ND fans there as well.

Fayette is a beautiful county. Used to drive on US40 weekly commuting from Pgh to Alexandria, VA.

Don't recall seeing any PSU banners flying down there, but I'll take your word for it. And thanks for the reminder that I need to take my wife back to Nemacolin soon.

Reaction Score
Oh No!
Stimps back.
Where is Nicky when you need him?
Nick are you going to let the Terrapin have all the fun?

Reaction Score
Are you deliberately dense or afflicted with poor reading comprehension? College Park is a microcosm of the entire state. And other than allegations, what proof have you offered? LOL on that for a while.

You seem liks a good guy, soI'm not going to get in a pis**** match with you over something mostly inconsequential to me. That said my opinion is still valid. PSU has excellent support in the state of Maryland. Its not UMD levels and it never will be. Any claims of statewide dominance were made by Stimpy not myself. The evidence that you provided was mostly anecdotal based on your own experiences in the state. Anything I would post from my end would essentially be the same based on my own experiences.

PSU has well over 600,000 living alumni. Maryland has the 4th most PSU Alums residing in any state after PA, NY, and NJ. That's certainly a base to build out from. Calling College Park a microcosm for college fandom is about as relevant as using State College or Columbus as one. Sure you can find fans of other programs in these areas, but they are drowned out by the home team. You have to admit that the methodology in the link you presented was crap. If you were to accept it at face value you would have to accept that The Florida Gators have more support than UCONN in NYC. I'm positive that you don't believe that.

Reaction Score
Shocking...
Actually it is. The University is in the process of disowning a man, and at the same time I have a poster here pushing the same man's accomplishments as the glory of Maryland. They should make up their mind. Disown the man and his accomplishments at the same time OR shut up and claim his accomplishments. He died 45 years ago. It's no bother to me. I walked into the stadium that man built for the University of Maryland and never cared who he was. I just noticed that it looked just like he left it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom