Lifted from VT CR board | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Lifted from VT CR board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Staying neutral; but, click on one of the MD counties on the PA border and it shows Maryland 37%, PSU 13%, ND 4%. Actually not bad for out-of-state.

PS - My town in North Jersey, which is 40 miles from New Brunswick, is 9% Rutgers, 9% Penn St & 9% ND. Shows 1) how limited that Rutgers is, 2) Penn State has serious pull in parts of Jersey, and 3) while we all make fun of ND, they do have a national brand.
I grew up in South Jersey and Penn State had many, many fans, including me. I still am even though ldandy is doing his best to convince me otherwise.

Reaction Score
Even moving " east " ( to N.E., NJ, etc ) won't be all that great for the Big. Besides, the ACC proactively expanded both " east " and " south ", by adding Miami, BC, VT, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville ( and ND from right in the center of the midwest ) under Swofford's tenure. Under Swofford, the ACC expanded north, south, east all along the Atlantic Coast all the way from Maine to the southern tip of Florida. The Big took Maryland & Rutgers by comparison. Not exactly a good comparison to what the ACC has done by contrast, imo. I'd say an unbiased view would say the ACC has done pretty well for itself in the musical chairs we call realignment. Plus, the league is stable now too. Look at the B12. Its a mess, with instabilty, infighting, acrimony galore. Its the B12 that might " collapse " imo... not the ACC.
The ACC invited Maine? It would be nice to see Maine beat BCU in Football every year... :)

Reaction Score
I grew up in South Jersey and Penn State had many, many fans, including me. I still am even though ldandy is doing his best to convince me otherwise.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm not exactly sure what I said or did to pi** you off, but hopefully it won't reflect poorly on an entire university. I understand that I am a guest on this board and as such I try to post in a respectful manner whenever I'm here. Like anybody I can get touchy sometimes when my buttons get pushed, so I apologize if I offended anybody. I'm a fan of UCONN, and believe whole heartedly that they should be in a P5 Conference. Selfishly I think the best place for you guys is The B1G as I want more Eastern Representation in the conference. If it ends up being The Big 12 I think you will surprise a lot of people with how competitive your programs are.

Reaction Score
Oh No!
Stimps back.
Where is Nicky when you need him?
Nick are you going to let the Terrapin have all the fun?
Please no. There is nothing worse than being draw in here to talk about Rutgers. It's a waste of time for me, and you UConn guys do a great job of it on your own. When I was here before, I always seemed to get drawn into talking about Rutgers. Not today.

Reaction Score
I realize this is a UCONN board, but I don't see the harm in one thread where people with different opinions can mix it up. Bring back Okie, Bucaneer, Terry, Stimp, etc etc.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Actually it is. The University is in the process of disowning a man, and at the same time I have a poster here pushing the same man's accomplishments as the glory of Maryland. They should make up their mind. Disown the man and his accomplishments at the same time OR shut up and claim his accomplishments. He died 45 years ago. It's no bother to me. I walked into the stadium that man built for the University of Maryland and never cared who he was. I just noticed that it looked just like he left it.

Who should make up their mind? Is a person required to take the same position as their Alma Mater? I guess in Chancellorsville, they brainwash their alumni to think exactly like they do.

I can see it now: "Call the police Martha, there's one of our Maryland alumni posting on a UConn board that doesn't fall in line with what the university wants! Revoke their degree!"

Reaction Score
No offense but are you talking about the same Maryland that is located in the United States of America? If that's the one, I haven't a clue how you draw your conclusions. PSU has a very strong following throughout the entire DMV, built on being the premier football brand in the Northeast/Mid Atlantic since the 1960's. Maryland Representation for PSU is still very strong. If I was estimating sphere of influence in the Northeast/Mid Atlantic I'd go with the following:

MA- I'd imagine is carved up by BC, BU, Harvard, (locals), ND and UCONN.

CT- Primarily UCONN with small followings for Yale.

NY- (Upstate) Cuse, with pockets of support for ND, PSU, Army and locals like Buffalo and Cornell. (NYC and surroundings)Pretty well divided up with pockets of support for ND, RU, UCONN, Cuse, PSU, UM, St Johns and smaller locals. No one team or even small group of teams can lay claim to NYC. You need a large group of schools to gain any critical mass in the city.

NJ- (Northern NJ) RU, ND, PSU (Southern NJ) PSU, ND, RU.

PA- (Eastern PA) PSU, with pockets of ND Support in NEPA as well as Philly. Support for the members of The Big 5 exists in the city as well. (Central/South/and NW PA) PSU, (SWPA) PSU with followings for Pitt, ND, and WVU.

MD- UMD, Navy, PSU, ND, local/national interests.

DC- Fairly even levels of support for UMD, VPI, UVA, and PSU. ND, Gtown and other Catholics carry some sway as well as smaller local and national interests.

VA- VPI and UVA, with solid representation for PSU, as well as smaller local/national interests.
Wait....how about fans of CCSU, SCSU, New Haven or Trinity?? Shouldn't they count in CT fan base?? :)

Reaction Score
Who should make up their mind? Is a person required to take the same position as their Alma Mater? I guess in Chancellorsville, they brainwash their alumni to think exactly like they do.

I can see it now: "Call the police Martha, there's one of our Maryland alumni posting on a UConn board that doesn't fall in line with what the university wants! Revoke their degree!"

I think you mean Charlottesville - although there was one hell of a Civil War battle in Chancellorsville...

Reaction Score
Syracuse won NCAA championships in Cross Country and Field Hockey this year. I'm not sure they did that in the Big East. Their football and basketball is about the same as when they moved. Football just got a new coach, so we'll see.

Pittsburgh is about the same as the Big East. But they hired a new Men's Soccer coach who is a good hire, so we'll see what he does.

Boston College has declined some. But I think it's related to coaching. They have new ones now, so upward and onward.

One of BC's bigger issues is facilities. They are behind just about everyone in the ACC and even UConn. Combined with some questionable hiring, and its easy to see what they are so behind. Syracuse, for better or worse, has at least been updating their facilities, including new Olympic fields and an indoor football practice facility on hill campus. Pitt even built a new venue a few years back for soccer, baseball, and softball.

Reaction Score
Fayette is a beautiful county. Used to drive on US40 weekly commuting from Pgh to Alexandria, VA.

Don't recall seeing any PSU banners flying down there, but I'll take your word for it. And thanks for the reminder that I need to take my wife back to Nemacolin soon.

I hope you hit Fallingwater and Ohiopyle too.

Reaction Score
The idea that anyone associated with the ACC other than random internet posters are happy Maryland is in the B1G is delusional. A conference making more money took them, and then proceeded to make even more money.

End of story on that one.

I'm all for having fans from all different teams here, but at least let's not be delusional about what's good for a conference and what's a sh¡t sandwich.

Reaction Score
The idea that anyone associated with the ACC other than random internet posters are happy Maryland is in the B1G is delusional. A conference making more money took them, and then proceeded to make even more money.

End of story on that one.

I'm all for having fans from all different teams here, but at least let's not be delusional about what's good for a conference and what's a sh¡t sandwich.

And please...let's not have fans from one area and one viewpoint presumptuously believe that they know what other fans think in a different area.

Maryland made Wake Forest look like a great football program. I know tthat he Nole boards have been very happy about getting Maryland off of the schedule.

Reaction Score
And please...let's not have fans from one area and one viewpoint presumptuously believe that they know what other fans think in a different area.

Maryland made Wake Forest look like a great football program. I know tthat he Nole boards have been very happy about getting Maryland off of the schedule.

Yeah, I'm sure local Noles fans would rather go to Louisville to watch their beloved Noles than come to DC.

Reaction Score
Hell, Maryland wasn't a real game. When you win 90% of the games it becomes like having Old Dominion on the schedule.

Would UConn guys miss the Southern Connecticut Owls if they were on the schedule and were replaced by a team that had recently won BCS Bowls?

FSU sells home tickets...already had to cope with Wake, BC, Cuse, and Maryland on the schedule....Louisville picked up the stadium.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's all for the best that Maryland moved on to the B1G. The ACC had Washington, D.C. and didn't know what to do with it. The basketball tourney was held twice in D.C. and once in Landover, MD during the conference's sixty-one year history. It's only fitting that the 2016 tournament--with no Maryland--is being staged in D.C. It's analogous to Swofford's ACC Network narrative, don't worry guys, "we're getting there!"
1stbase.jpg

Reaction Score
It's all for the best that Maryland moved on to the B1G. The ACC had Washington, D.C. and didn't know what to do with it. The basketball tourney was held twice in D.C. and once in Landover, MD during the conference's sixty-one year history. It's only fitting that the 2016 tournament--with no Maryland--is being staged in D.C. It's analogous to Swofford's ACC Network narrative, don't worry guys, "we're getting there!"
View attachment 11985
Rodney save the meme..you can use it again when the B-12 takes UConn and ICNcy..then follows that up with FSU/Clemson when the ACC implodes because of no network

Reaction Score
Hell, Maryland wasn't a real game. When you win 90% of the games it becomes like having Old Dominion on the schedule.

Would UConn guys miss the Southern Connecticut Owls if they were on the schedule and were replaced by a team that had recently won BCS Bowls?

FSU sells home tickets...already had to cope with Wake, BC, Cuse, and Maryland on the schedule....Louisville picked up the stadium.

You are totally missing the big picture. Sure, from an FSU fan point of view Maryland may not seem like a big loss. Fans want to see good games and Louisville is probably more exciting than Maryland. That said, Maryland was one of key cogs for an ACCN. Lousiville does not significantly advance the prospect of an ACCN nearly as much as Maryland did.

FSU wants to directly compete against SEC teams. That means FSU needs facilities which can match or exceed SEC programs. Without a network the ACC cannot match the SEC payout. FSU is already applying pressure on Swofford regarding an ACCN but the very decisions FSU/Clemson pushed down (allegedly threatened to leave the ACC if Louisville was not taken over UConn) significantly hurt the chances for an ACCN. An ACC with Maryland, Rutgers and UConn would be much closer to network than it is now even if it was a worse football conference. Life is hard, life is harder if you are stupid....

The BIG may not enjoy seeing Rutgers on its home schedule but it enjoys cashing that BIG revenue check. If scheduling the Southern Owls allowed UConn to create a network and make another $15 million they'd be on our schedule tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I believe the B12 will survive…in some fashion. I think the conference with ‘the problem’ is not the B12 but the ACC. The ACC has NIMBY trouble...and unless you can move the Eastern seaboard further East the ACC is going to get pinched, poached, squeezed and left for dead.

The ACC is like Poland in the 20th century…stuck between Germany and Russia (Soviet Union). And like Poland, they get effed every time there is a dust up. With the B1G and SEC as neighbors, both with a desire to skim the cream off the top, crazy mad piles of cash, networks, etc., the ‘good’ ACC schools will have to ‘affiliate’ with one or the other unless you suspend the laws of economics.

If you chop up the ACC it is not too hard to see who goes B1G, who goes SEC, and who goes to purgatory – meaning B12 or G5.

For what it is worth I should think UConn would get sucked into the vortex that is the B1G.

Reaction Score
You are totally missing the big picture. Sure, from an FSU fan point of view Maryland may not seem like a big loss. Fans want to see good games and Louisville is probably more exciting than Maryland. That said, Maryland was one of key cogs for an ACCN. Lousiville does not significantly advance the prospect of an ACCN nearly as much as Maryland did.

FSU wants to directly compete against SEC teams. That means FSU needs facilities which can match or exceed SEC programs. Without a network the ACC cannot match the SEC payout. FSU is already applying pressure on Swofford regarding an ACCN but the very decisions FSU/Clemson pushed down (allegedly threatened to leave the ACC if Louisville was not taken over UConn) significantly hurt the chances for an ACCN. An ACC with Maryland, Rutgers and UConn would be much closer to network than it is now even if it was a worse football conference. Life is hard, life is harder if you are stupid....

The BIG may not enjoy seeing Rutgers on its home schedule but it enjoys cashing that BIG revenue check. If scheduling the Southern Owls allowed UConn to create a network and make another $15 million they'd be on our schedule tomorrow.

I agree with a lot of your take here except for the portion on FSU's Facilities. They are top notch and always will be. Football is the breadwinner of FSU Athletics. Any money the AD makes on the program will first and foremost go back into its coaches, facilities, and support staff. The remaining dollars trickle down to the rest of the university's teams and facilities. Any shortfalls in football will be made up by willing donors.

Where the TV Dollar shortfall might hurt the most in the future is how the remainder of the university's non revenue programs are handled. If suddenly Olympic Sports start to become non competitive or worse are cut from the AD, the outcry from student athletes, alums, and supporters might be enough pressure on the administration to seriously consider a move. We all know that FSU would do anything in their power to get in The SEC, but that's likely never happening. Big 12? I don't see it. B1G? Seems to be a bridge to far but who knows?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I hope you get it. UConn does deserve it. I think that the Big XII has some geographic challenges, but they are no more difficult that what you have today in the AAC. You should take it if it becomes available. My league is focused on other things right now unfortunately, and so is the Big Ten. UConn would be great in either the Big Ten or the ACC, but since they are not in expansion mode take a Big XII offer if it comes. It looks like the Big XII presidents authorized analysis that they will review in May.
Wait...so we should take a P5 invite, if offered? Crimeny, that's genius. Somebody get Pres. Herbst on the phone! Our Virginia friend may just be on to something here!

Reaction Score

Dwalks,
He's not missing the bigger picture from an ACC perspective. With this steady dose of the Dude of WV, I can see why folks might think he is. But if you step back and look at the bigger picture, you might see why the ACC upgraded in that exchange.

First of all, the ACC lost no television access within the State of Maryland. Local TV stations in Baltimore, Salisbury, and Hagerstown carry as many ACC football and basketball games today than I get in Richmond, VA. UVA and VT alumni living in Maryland have not been impacted in terms of access to ACC game on TV at all. So no loss of market for TV by the ACC in Maryland.

Second, think about what the ACC desperately needed in 2011 and what it needed out of expansion. The answer is football cache. Nothing else. The ACC was being ridiculed by having a bad BCS bowl record. Never mind a good overall bowl record, but a bad BCS bowl record. I was reminded of that BCS bowl record here on the Boneyard many time. What did the ACC think it needed to do? The answer is add Notre Dame football. How do you do it? Bring in Eastern Schools ND recognizes. We already had BC. So why not add Pitt and Syracuse. ND wants New York games and Massachusetts games, and ND has played Pitt 60 times. They were added, and tada, ND was added right behind at least partially in football.

Then we had Wallace Loh's October surprise. What does the ACC still need? Football cache. Oh my. We're losing Maryland. What football cache is walking out the door with Maryland? From 2010 to today, Maryland has played in 2 bowl games that they lost. Once to Marshall in the Navy Stadium they did not sell out because Annapolis was too far to travel to. Second to a PAC12 team somewhere. Their coach was fired, and they could not even attract an experienced head coach from anywhere. Then the icing is they hired Mike London. Look up his record if you want. That's Maryland football cache.

The ACC added Louisville's football cache to backfill. What was it? The answer is from 2010 to today Louisville has been to six bowls. They have won 4 including a Sugar Bowl win over Florida and two months ago a win over Texas A&M. They did have a coach leave, but they backfilled quickly with another good coach. Prospects are good.

Remember what the ACC needed. Football Cache. You yourself can compare the two. And remember that the ACC lost no television access in Maryland for ACC fans.

In basketball, Maryland was a loss for the ACC. But, while Maryland walked out Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, and Louisville walked in. While losing 1 good basketball program, we gained 4. It has been hardly noticed.

What the ACC lost by losing Maryland was our best women's lacrosse program. It will be tough to swallow, but we'll live as I've said.

Reaction Score
Dwalks,
He's not missing the bigger picture from an ACC perspective. With this steady dose of the Dude of WV, I can see why folks might think he is. But if you step back and look at the bigger picture, you might see why the ACC upgraded in that exchange.

First of all, the ACC lost no television access within the State of Maryland. Local TV stations in Baltimore, Salisbury, and Hagerstown carry as many ACC football and basketball games today than I get in Richmond, VA. UVA and VT alumni living in Maryland have not been impacted in terms of access to ACC game on TV at all. So no loss of market for TV by the ACC in Maryland.

Second, think about what the ACC desperately needed in 2011 and what it needed out of expansion. The answer is football cache. Nothing else. The ACC was being ridiculed by having a bad BCS bowl record. Never mind a good overall bowl record, but a bad BCS bowl record. I was reminded of that BCS bowl record here on the Boneyard many time. What did the ACC think it needed to do? The answer is add Notre Dame football. How do you do it? Bring in Eastern Schools ND recognizes. We already had BC. So why not add Pitt and Syracuse. ND wants New York games and Massachusetts games, and ND has played Pitt 60 times. They were added, and tada, ND was added right behind at least partially in football.

Then we had Wallace Loh's October surprise. What does the ACC still need? Football cache. Oh my. We're losing Maryland. What football cache is walking out the door with Maryland? From 2010 to today, Maryland has played in 2 bowl games that they lost. Once to Marshall in the Navy Stadium they did not sell out because Annapolis was too far to travel to. Second to a PAC12 team somewhere. Their coach was fired, and they could not even attract an experienced head coach from anywhere. Then the icing is they hired Mike London. Look up his record if you want. That's Maryland football cache.

The ACC added Louisville's football cache to backfill. What was it? The answer is from 2010 to today Louisville has been to six bowls. They have won 4 including a Sugar Bowl win over Florida and two months ago a win over Texas A&M. They did have a coach leave, but they backfilled quickly with another good coach. Prospects are good.

Remember what the ACC needed. Football Cache. You yourself can compare the two. And remember that the ACC lost no television access in Maryland for ACC fans.

In basketball, Maryland was a loss for the ACC. But, while Maryland walked out Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, and Louisville walked in. While losing 1 good basketball program, we gained 4. It has been hardly noticed.

What the ACC lost by losing Maryland was our best women's lacrosse program. It will be tough to swallow, but we'll live as I've said.

Putting aside the W/L issues for a moment and just looking at TV sets, i.e. the B1G model, the ACC gave-up a lot, especially in letting a conference like the B1G access to their backyard. Basically, the ACC lost the country's 26th largest TV market (Baltimore) and a lock-down when combined with UVA at V Tech for the 9th largest TV market in DC in exchange for 50th largest TV market in Louisville. While the ACC still plays well in DC due to UVA and V Tech, the B1G now has a bigger presence when Maryland is combined with the massive alumni base that the B1G has in DC, especially Ohio St. So overall, ACC won the exchange on the field; but, lost when it comes to who has a fatter wallet. Now, if the B1G can use that cash to pry UVA or V Tech away from the ACC, the ACC is done in DC no matter how many ACC basketball tournaments are held there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom